• This topic is locked This topic is locked
82 replies to this topic

#61 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

(Can we please get back to ignorantly bashing this show?)

I won't watch it because it'll turn me into a perverted, black gay and my wife would divorce me and take the kids away. No sir, I'll be watching wholesome, family-oriented programming like The Lawrence Welk Show and anything starring Tim Allen.

#62 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

Lol! yes... yes we can. 

I find it abhorrent because it requires me to "evolve" my thinking...  my thoughts don't descend from monkeys or apes... thats not my heritage and culture... no way!

#63 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

This thread raises my threat ganglia.

Which by the way are totally, 100% scientific, and it's quite puzzling how they failed to alert me to a mirror universe impostor because there is actually a scientifically measurable 'threat' property which exists on a quantum plane I'm sensitive too.  Oh, wait, that's it!  I bet it's because my ganglia's 'quantum signature' didn't match his!  Whew, for a minute there I was starting to think my ganglia weren't magical.

Also, I'm a bit upset how easily Burnham forgave the Emperor (or is it Empress?) after force-feeding my cousin's ganglia to her.  Meesa no like-a da impole-cayshuns o' dis!

#64 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

So... you'll warn us if this thread is about to be killed?!

#65 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

This thread was DOA, just like DISCO.

#66 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:50 AM

While Disco is absolute trash at every level, I don't have an issue with Saru's ganglia. 

Lorca was never a threat to Discovery's crew, he had no interest in hurting any of them. 

He just wanted to use Discovery's spore drive to get back to his universe, even then he didn't want to hurt them until he got to the Emperor. If Discovery hadn't warped to the Emperors ship, we don't even know if he would have hunted them down or just let them leave. 

#67 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

Nigel... if you see some posts that you think are inappropriate there is a "report" button...  each post has them.

But if your a fan of DS9 and BSG as you've said in the other thread... I think you'll actually enjoy it. Its something Different thats for sure, but if your waiting until the entire thing will be available to binge watch it... hopefully for free, I recommend it. Were down to our last couple episodes and it does seem to be coming together... I think it'll be up to each fan to decide if they like it or not.

Thanks, Gothneo! I think it might be on Netflix here in Canada, actually. Just haven't gotten around to watching any yet. At this point I think I will wait and watch the whole season 1 as a binge watch. The pics I've seen of the ships and characters look cool to me but still getting my head around the "new" Klingons. :P

#68 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

Spoiler

#69 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

While Disco is absolute trash at every level, I don't have an issue with Saru's ganglia. 

Lorca was never a threat to Discovery's crew, he had no interest in hurting any of them. 

He just wanted to use Discovery's spore drive to get back to his universe, even then he didn't want to hurt them until he got to the Emperor. If Discovery hadn't warped to the Emperors ship, we don't even know if he would have hunted them down or just let them leave. 

Silly Alteran, that's what you and I would think.  But those amazing Discovery writers decided to actually give Saru a line expressing his befuddlement as to how his utterly scientific threat ganglia managed to fail him, because while a capable Starfleet acting captain, he is too pea-brained to consider what you and I didn't even need an explanation for.  You'd think he'd have a better understanding of how his ganglia work after all these years of being alive...but it's hard for him to have one when the writer's don't have one, either.

#70 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

Spoiler

Lol! they should have held them sideways... gangster style!

#71 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:58 PM

I think there are legitimate issues with DISCO.... and I hoped that this thread would give people an opportunity to vent about them rather then issue with certain "fans" or their political aggravations... because quit frankly I really don't care about the latter.

Oh there are legitimate issues, and I wish there was more discussion of them rather than the latter as well, yet there is one thing about the latter that's rubbing me the wrong way. So, one group had kvetched that there aren't any straight male white dudes on Disco's bridge crew until we got Lorca. Now

Spoiler
effectively leaving no straight (male) white human dude on the main bridge crew. Do I have that right? Is DISCO now a Starfleet (predominantly human) ship in the Federation where the entire main crew are minorities and non–human characters? I'm all for diversity but if we've taken it to that extreme it seems a little....hokey for lack of a better term. On the flip–side... the LGBTAlphabet Soup community has bitched up a storm about Culber's "death?" scene, even though
Spoiler
, so does this mean we can finally stop whining about DSC's lack of/excessive diversity issue and start railing about things that matter like the horrendous writing, era–inaccurate costumes, and unwanted alterations made to the Klingons?

My biggest beef with the show is that so many major plot points seem to be the result of idiotic writing. Burnham shouldn't have been allowed to advise a sandwich much less a Captain based on her behavior in the first two episodes, yet Georgiou was ready to hand her a command. Landry seemed too stupid to be trusted with a NERF gun much less Lorca's man cave, and she died screwing with a creature that was known to be lethal. The Pahvans were actually interesting, but we've forgotten they existed, and if the Klingons have "apparently" won the war, doesn't that mean we're boxed into an inevitable reset button episode to end the season? Every time I think this show is improving, it does something so mind–numblingly stupid that I question how supposedly intelligent writers could do a table read and go "yeah, that works" to half of these scripts.

#72 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:07 PM

Does this mean we can finally stop whining about DSC's lack of/excessive diversity issue and start railing about things that matter like the horrendous writing, era–inaccurate costumes, and unwanted alterations made to the Klingons?

My biggest beef with the show is that so many major plot points seem to be the result of idiotic writing. 

I think thats all I've been complaining about... so preach on! You'll get an amen from me! (except for the uniforms... I like them :-) )

These writers probably think they are some kinda Ray Bradbury... when they are probably closer to L Ron Hubbard. 

#73 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

What's up with these legitimate gripes?

I think we're losing focus of the original spirit of this thread. 

BENGHAZI!!!

#74 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

Don't worry, Kirk is going to come along in, what, 9 years and 3 months?  He will make the face of Starfleet as mid-century white and straight as you could ever dream soon enough.  Mid 20th century, that is.

#75 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 10:52 AM

I'm surprised that such a traumatic event to the federation, while Kirk was technically a cadet at the Academy, wouldn't have been mentioned at least once somewhere...

#76 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

The fundamental problem with Discovery, as it is now, is there isn't a single character I relate to, nor do I want to be any of them... and in that light Discovery proves to be very un-trekish for me. 

Heck... even the reboot of BSG had more relate-able characters.

#77 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

The fundamental problem with Discovery, as it is now, is there isn't a single character I relate to, nor do I want to be any of them... and in that light Discovery proves to be very un-trekish for me. 

Heck... even the reboot of BSG had more relate-able characters.

And BSG had many repugnant characters , which to a great degree is why I didn't like it either. Having relatable, likable characters is one of the many reasons why TOS and TNG were so successful.I can't imagine anyone looking back fondly on Discovery 25 years from now .

#78 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:58 AM

I can't think of a single character in Star Trek I've ever related to except one:

514537660_0e2460ed49.jpg

Otherwise the fundamental problem I have with DISCO is that it doesn't take place on the Enterprise the way God intended!

#79 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

You can spell "Discovery" without "god".

#80 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

What does god need with the Discovery? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users