Hmmm..

How 'bout some Klingon shots??!!

#22 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:44 PM

Nice shots! Notice how Worf is the same scale as the Mego Klingon? Wow that Kor is so much smaller than Worf.

#23 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:49 PM

Yeah, Once I saw the larger scale on the TOS, I got the rest of the Original Mego crew.

I think They look great together, and both are alot of fun!

#24 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9" clothed figures

Posted 02 September 2006 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE(Gothneo @ Sep 1 2006, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can tell by the wrist right?

Right.

#25 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

Wow...great pics there Gothneo.

I had not noticed what an amazing figure the Regent Worf is!

The Mego figure has some great detial. It is very nice looking. Though I think all the Mego figures are really nice.

People say Uhura was more a generic looking black woman...but from looking at your pics, I think the only thing they really missed was giving her the lazy eyes.

They did not release Checov, Sulu or Chapel?

Anyone try customs?

Would the Playmates 9" heads look ok on a Mego body?

#26 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Props, uniforms, 9&quot; clothed figures

Posted 03 September 2006 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Sep 3 2006, 07:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would the Playmates 9" heads look ok on a Mego body?

Nope, I think they would look too big.

I read somewhere that a Mego Checkov and Sulu was in the making. But I guess the success of the Star Wars figures format and the release of TMP came too soon. They made 12" TMP based figures and some all plastic Star Wars format TMP figures instead.

I also read something about a fire in their warehouse.

#27 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

There was a fire in the mego warehouse that i read about years ago that destryed a large amount of the Alien figures released, thats why they seem so rare today.

I read once that Mego probably would have gotten the Star Wars license before Kenner if their executive would have made a crucial meeting that decided the fate of the toy franchise. If mego got the contract then, i bet they would still be in business today.

I have seen Sulu, chekov and other TOS customs like Harry Mudd and Commodore Decker and others that are also in a fan produced Mego like package that look great.

Mego bodies are too small for the playmates heads. I really would have loved if playmates would have used the same type body in their figures, it is much more posable and a little more realistic looking.

The TMP small figures and large figures were a disappointment for me back in 1979 when they came out. The 3 3/4 size was too small with poor detailing and the large figures had very poor likenesses as well and were painted with inferior paint than the TOS figures were, which caused the TOS 12" figures too turn gray faced over the years.
Also, the 12" tmp figures bodies were almost identical to the 8" bodies, but were not as sturdy and the bottom leg portion was very easily broken. I saw some broken before even removed from the package.

#28 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

I think I actually like this look better.... smile.gif

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 08:39 AM

Ooooo Nice Pict Proprmaster!

That shirt looks like one of the repo's you can get from Dr. Mego...

Where do you get the Repo Insignas?

#30 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

Actually everything is original except the insigna on his shirt, that came from Paul. The Delta Shield Insigna came from Lincoln Enterprises back in the 70's...I have several sets of them from all 3 departments. smile.gif

I was able to get a few of the bridge crew together before Shore Leave...

#31 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

Apparntly, you can put the heads of Playmates in some type of acetate or other chemical, and it will shrink the heads down to Mego scale. That is the method they are using to get Trelane and other customs. I asked someone that had one, and they confirmed it, I just dont recall the chemical at the moment

#32 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 11:25 AM

Shrinking heads, well I guess that it can be done. LOL

#33 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Sep 3 2006, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was a fire in the mego warehouse that i read about years ago that destryed a large amount of the Alien figures released, thats why they seem so rare today.

Yes, now I remember. I mixed things up. The fire destroyed some of the alien series, making them very rare. And the Sulu and Checkov were planned but by that time TMP came out and it made no sense to make figures based on the old style uniforms.

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Sep 3 2006, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read once that Mego probably would have gotten the Star Wars license before Kenner if their executive would have made a crucial meeting that decided the fate of the toy franchise. If mego got the contract then, i bet they would still be in business today.

I read somewhere that all toy makers turned George Lucas down. Because they didn't want to base figures on a movie kids forget about after a few weeks. Instead they all wanted to make figures based on characters that are permenantly in our lives (like characters from TV shows, from comics or even legendary characters like Robin Hood, King Arthur and his knights or Zorro). That's why Mego, Mattel and initially Kenner turned down Lucas. Only at the very last minute Kenner changed their minds because of all the media attention Star Wars got. But they couldn't even have the figures in the shops at the time of the movie's release. So they sold empty boxes with only a form to be filled in by the buyer and sent back to Kenner so that your figures would be sent to you as soon as the came off the assembly line.

Once Star Wars figures became a success, Mego thought that this success was because of the format and changed all their figures to the Star Wars format. But it didn't save them. Kids just didn't want a Batman figure if they could get a Skywalker figure instead, no matter what size.

Had Mego gotten the Star Wars license, not only would they still be in business, chances are today all action figures would still have had clothes made out of fabric! Which is as it should be!

#34 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Sep 3 2006, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually everything is original except the insigna on his shirt, that came from Paul. The Delta Shield Insigna came from Lincoln Enterprises back in the 70's...I have several sets of them from all 3 departments. smile.gif

I was able to get a few of the bridge crew together before Shore Leave...

Aaah! I though the shirt was a repo on account of the insigna didn't look right!

I have a couple repo shirts and wanted to add the insignas, but I haven't found anyone that sells them.

#35 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

I got some of the silver foil type insignias from Dr Mego a couple of years ago. I noticed that the braid on the repo shirts looks different than the original mego so its fairly easy to distinguish between them.

#36 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:20 PM

I have some extra insignas...PM me if you are needing them, I think I can help... smile.gif

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:46 PM

PM incomming!

#38 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:58 AM

But where did you get the chair?

#39 UFP-1701

UFP-1701

Once upon a time...

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:26 AM

Bernsy, this is the one that comes with the WNMHGB figure, to me it looks better with the Mego Figure in it rather than the AA/DST one.... smile.gif

#40 Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Cpt. Phil T. Berns

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Propmaster @ Sep 4 2006, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bernsy, this is the one that comes with the WNMHGB figure

What WNMHGB figure are you talking about? I have a 9" WNMHGB Kirk by Playmates and it sure as hell didn't have a chair. So I presume AA made a WNMHGB Kirk with chair?

Oh and yes, I did see that it was either a The Cage or a WNMHGB chaire because of the monitor on a gooseneck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users