Photo

Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you interested in purchasing customs heads at the prices and conditions listed below?

1. Yes (15 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:23 PM

We have another opportunity to see if we could get some custom heads made in the DST scale. The backstory can be found at the end of this thread http://www.trektoy.c...?showtopic=3975 . We know DST isn even thinking about producing any new figures so this seems like a good opportunity to fill in the gaps of our collections. So basically if this were to happen any playmates figures allready produced at the 4.5" scale or the 8-12" scale could be on the table. Fat Valentino has offered to spear head this project if there is enough interest. Basically we need about 10 people to be interested in buying about 5 custom heads at an appx price of $40-50. If this works out we can expand to other items like TOS bridge chairs.

Right now we dont have anything else nailed down and are looking for options. I suggested that we go by theme, for example an all VOY set or an all TOS set. If this goes down, Im all in for whatever we decide.

#2 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Hello everyone, I'm pleased and excited to be exploring this new project here on the board. I've been making Playmates 4.5" scale custom figures for several years now. Some of you may have seen my auctions under the ebay seller maltbyrob.

I recently completed a big project sculpting and resizing many, many heads and uniform jackets to the Playmates scale. While I don't collect the AA/DST scale, the process is simple enough that I could make unpainted resin heads available to anyone who wanted a set, for a very reasonable price, providing there was enough interest to justify ordering the materials. We could do the complete Voyager crew all at once, or break it into smaller sets. Because the materials are somewhat expensive, I'm afraid I would have to ask everyone to "buy in" before the sets are made. Pictured below is a photograph of the Galoob Star Trek: The Next Generation Antician and Selay aliens expanded up to AA/DST scale. The detail on castings expanded from the Playmates figures or 8" dolls would no doubt be even better.

If anyone wants to check out the castings detail and materials before deciding, I can offer the Selay and Antician heads at $7.50 each or $12.00 for the set. Feel free to email me at RobRostad (at) hotmail (dot) com, and I'll send you a PayPal invoice.

#3 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

I guess I would take a set of Voyager heads, I really would be most excited for the Janeway and Tuvok from the group, but I could probably use the others for something.
I must stress that where possible we use the larger heads and downscale them, as they show more detail. If we move on to Klingons, we would have to upsize, due to lack of available fodder
I would like Rand and Chapel next though!

#4 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Feb 8 2012, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I would take a set of Voyager heads, I really would be most excited for the Janeway and Tuvok from the group, but I could probably use the others for something.
I must stress that where possible we use the larger heads and downscale them, as they show more detail. If we move on to Klingons, we would have to upsize, due to lack of available fodder
I would like Rand and Chapel next though!

Hey all,

I'm up for this as well. As Tiberius says, I would prefer a Rand & Chapel first (Chapel could also be used to make Number 1 for the experienced customizer.) Maybe add Sarek (could also be used for Romulan Commander,) Koloth (to complete the TOS Klingon trio) and maybe Harry Mudd. Just a thought.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#5 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

I would actually be interested in learning more about this process. I love the work done on the Antican and Selay. I would buy those, and I would also love to create my own. I'm itching to get started on a project like this, but I don't know how to enlarge sculpts. Please share or point me in the right direction. Sela, for example, was one of my favorite Playmates sculpts. I would LOVE to build an AA/DST compatible version based on that sculpt.

#6 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Feb 8 2012, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would actually be interested in learning more about this process. I love the work done on the Antican and Selay. I would buy those, and I would also love to create my own. I'm itching to get started on a project like this, but I don't know how to enlarge sculpts. Please share or point me in the right direction. Sela, for example, was one of my favorite Playmates sculpts. I would LOVE to build an AA/DST compatible version based on that sculpt.

Hi Weyoun. If you shoot me an email I'll send you a PayPal invoice for the Antician/Selay set.

The product is called Hydrospan and it's made by a company in Texas. It was developed to enlarge archeological finds and fossils for museum displays. I buy directly from them, but there may be local resellers. There is a significant learning process, but it's incredibly useful for sculpting and customizing.

#7 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

QUOTE (Matty-lad @ Feb 8 2012, 03:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey all,

I'm up for this as well. As Tiberius says, I would prefer a Rand & Chapel first (Chapel could also be used to make Number 1 for the experienced customizer.) Maybe add Sarek (could also be used for Romulan Commander,) Koloth (to complete the TOS Klingon trio) and maybe Harry Mudd. Just a thought.

Take care,
Matty-lad

Koloth and Sarek are on the list (I made molds of the Playmates heads last night...) but I hadn't considered Harry Mudd.

#8 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

I found a few more old castings, and so am pleased to offer Admiral Erik Pressman and a Klingon from Star Trek: The Motion Picture as examples to anyone who wants to check the quality before getting onboard with this Voyager/TOS resizing project. As before, they'll run $7.50 each or 2 for $12.00.

These are two figures scaled DOWN from the 12" Mego and a 9" LOST Mego. The detail pops even better than the Selay and Antician.

Also, I have a favor to ask of any interested parties. In addition to any 12" or 9" dolls of the Voyager characters, I'd like to borrow three figures from the AA/DST scale in order to cast them and shrink them down to Playmates 4.5" scale. I only just learned that they exist. The three figures are Kang, Esri Dax, and Nurse Alyssa Ogawa. I don't know if these are super rare, and if this request is absurd or something. I actually just need to borrow the heads, for a couple days at most. I'd reimburse you for your shipping cost, and insure the figures for their full after market value. Please let me know if you can help. It won't go unrewarded!

#9 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thanks to Tiberius for offering to loan the AA/DST Kang and Dax and possibly also the 12" Janeway doll. Anyone have a Nurse Ogawa that they would be willing to behead and loan out for a week or two?

I've made molds of the following heads, and I'm ready to resize them as soon as we can get a few more people interested in helping out with the cost of the materials.

Sarek/Romulan Commander (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
TOS Captain Koloth (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
TOS Nurse Chapel (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
TOS Yeoman Rand (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
TOS Lt. Ilia (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
Commander Kruge from Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
Captain Klaa from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (cast from the 8" Galoob figurine)

Nog (cast from the Playmates mini-figure)
Seven of Nine (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
Seven of Nine as a Borg (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)

Still waiting to hear from anyone who might have the 9" Voyager dolls.

And in honor of Hasbro's amazing announcement today, here's a picture of some castings resized DOWN to the 3.75" scale. TWOK Megos from a Mirror Universe!

#10 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

And yes, Terrell is holding Chekov's hand... huh.gif

#11 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:05 AM

Count me in and I'll drop you an email for some samples smile.gif

#12 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Here's an update on molds that are made and will be resized to the AA/DST scale in the first batch, should this project move forward. Changes/updates are in red...

Sarek/Romulan Commander (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
Romulan Centurian (The older Romulan with the white hair) cast from a pretty good 4.5" custom, we'll see how he turns out!)
TOS Captain Koloth (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
TOS Nurse Chapel (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
TOS Yeoman Rand (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
TOS Tellarite (cast from the 4" Applause figurine)
TOS Bele of Cheron (cast from the 9" Playmates doll)
TOS Balock's Puppet (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figurine)

Commander Kruge from Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
Captain Klaa from Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (cast from the 8" Galoob figurine)
Mungato (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure.)

Lt. Ilia with female TMP Uniform Tunic Torso (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure, with a pronounced cuff sculpted just a little bit below the bio-belt. This solves the female TMP Uniform problem.

Nog (cast from the Playmates mini-figure)
Major Kira with Bajoran Uniform Tunic Torso (Cast from the beltline up from a pretty good 10" Applause doll)
Seven of Nine (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)
Seven of Nine as a Borg (cast from the 4.5" Playmates figure)

At this point with the small-ish number of interested parties I'm thinking it would make sense to do larger sets for a slightly higher price. We could do a TOS set of around 8 or 9, a TOS Movie Era set of around 8 or 9, a TNG/DS9 wave of around 8 or 9, and (providing we can track down the best likenesses in the 12-9 inch dolls) a Voyager wave which will probably turn out to be around 10-11 characters.

I hope the new additions encourage a few more people to consider signing on. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in, both in the thread and via email. Some of you will see your suggestions reflected in the list above. As mentioned earlier in this thread, examples of the TMP Klingon, the Selay & Antician from the TNG Episode "Lonely Among Us", and Admiral Erik Pressman from the TNG Episode "The Pegasus" are available for around 7.50 each if you want to check the quality before signing on. With the six people we have currently interested, we could make it happen with two or three more interested parties, or if everyone pays a little more for each set. If the current "TrekToy 6" want to move forward, we could up the price a little and also increase the number of heads from 5-6 to 8-9. I think that 65-75 bucks is still a very good price for almost ten unique, resized heads.

If and when we decide to move forward, any and all interested parties should shoot me an email to the address above, or send me a private message with your email, if you haven't already. I'll then send out a batch PayPal invoice, with terms and conditions as well as timelines and a reasonable delivery date. Using PayPal for this means that everyone (myself included) will enjoy some protection. I've already sent out several sets of example heads, and anyone who is still considering signing on shouldn't let fear of getting ripped off stand in the way. Using PayPal means you will enjoy buyer protection should anything go wrong (like if I get hit by a bus...).

Shipping from the Texas supplier will take two weeks or so, but once the polymer is in hand the resizing will move forward very quickly. Since the above molds are made and ready to go, I anticipate being able to share photographs within a few days of casting with the polymer. Expect regular updates...

And if anyone's curious, I'm interested in doing all this because I want to make a much larger materials order than I usually do. I'm working on resizing some ships and shuttles to the action figure playset scale, projects that have progressed to the point where for the next expansion, I'll need a pretty significant amount of material. By signing on, you're not only getting enough AA/DST scale heads and torsos to keep a casual customizer busy for months, you're helping me make some very, very cool custom ships, that might even be made available on ebay or through this forum someday. Without getting into specifics, I'll just say that fans of the 3.75" scale Galoob line will profit greatly, that Scotty and Admiral Kirk will have a sweet ride to admire the refit, and that the TMP Klingon, Kruge, Chang, and the crew from ST:IV The Vogage Home will cross that bridge when they come to it.

#13 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi Folks. I got a quote on the Hydrospan re-sizing materials this morning, and now I'm hoping to get a firm headcount of everyone who wants the initial TOS and TOS Movie Era heads.

Who: Six people have voted "Yes" in the poll, and I've been chatting regularly with four of you. We need an initial $275.00 worth of materials (this includes shipping) to move forward, from two different companies. Industrial Polymers sells the Hydrospan and Smooth-On via Utrecht Art Supplies has the best price (that I could find) on mold-making silicones. Please feel free to forward this info to any collectors who you think will be interested. I'll start ordering the materials as soon as enough people have paid, but additional participants are certainly welcome, and their purchase price will be used to help pick up the casting resin we'll need once all the resized molds have been made.

Cost & Substitutions: I'm asking a pre-order commitment of $75.00 per 10 head set or $110.00 if you want both sets for a total of 20 heads. That's a pretty sweet deal at $5.50 per head and you can substitute heads within each set. For example, If you don't want the Klingons but instead want an extra couple Betelguisians, or Saurians, that's fine. I may or may not make these available individually, and if so it'll be after all the sets are complete, and they'll probably be more than 10.00 per head with shipping. So it's a much better deal to pick them up now and help make the project happen sooner rather than later...Strike while the iron is hot as the saying goes...

Characters: Here are the sets that will be available first. There will be a TNG/DS9 set too, but for TNG/DS9 there should probably be some more discussion to finalize character preference and avoid duplicating Iron Cow's work, and of course the Voyager set will happen eventually. (Once I can round up all the dolls...)

AA/DST Scale Classic TOS Set (10 Figures):
Nurse Chapel
Yeoman Rand
Romulan Commander
Romulan Centurian
Koloth
Blalok's Puppet
Mugatu
Tellarite
Bele of Cheron
Wheelchair Pike (Head only, "The Menagerie" Likeness)

AA/DST Scale TOS Movie Set (10 Figures):
TMP Klingon Captain
Kruge
Klaa
Betelguisian Ambassador (wearing ceremonial headpiece)
Betelguisian Alien (no headpiece)
Zanarite Alien
Megarite Alien
Saurian Alien
Arcturian Alien
Ilia (w/Female TMP Uniform top)

Feel free to send me a Message through the forum or email me at RobRostad (at) hotmail (dot) com if you're interested.

#14 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

Well, I'm in for a set of 10!

I hope this all goes well, and look forward to trying to add some more TOS and klingons to the displays!

#15 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Well I'm in for a set of 10 as long as I can pick and choose which of the 20 heads above I can have (and possibly a duplicate as part of the 10?)

Take care,
Matty-lad

#16 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Matty-lad @ Feb 15 2012, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I'm in for a set of 10 as long as I can pick and choose which of the 20 heads above I can have (and possibly a duplicate as part of the 10?)

Take care,
Matty-lad

Of course Matt. I think I still have your email, I'll be in touch in a minute.

#17 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'm in

#18 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (FHC @ Feb 15 2012, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in

Great! Hello and glad to have you with us!

#19 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Matty- Invoice Sent

FHC- Just shoot me an email with which set(s) you want, and any subs if applicable...

Everyone- I've had two people ask about substituting a Custom Caitian headsculpt I made in the Playmates scale. I can scale him up to the AA/DST scale and make him available instead of the Arcturian or Megarite, if that's what you guys want. Wrath of Khan Uniforms make Custom ST:IV Caitians an easy custom indeed. Thoughts?

#20 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Here's a pic...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users