• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 07:37 AM

A good animated series could enjoy some longevity. Voices tend to age better than bodies. Depending on the animation style, we could still get iconic versions of venerable characters as well as a host of new ones. Just look at the comic book crossovers for the kind of stories that could be told.

#42 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:14 AM

It all depends on what they plan to do with it... I'd gander a guess that they will still put it all behind the paywall. CBS AA is growing its backlog of original programming... but very slowly... They need more... and a bigger selection. If they had some kind of trek on round the clock... it would hold many subs.

#43 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:19 AM

I'd prefer an animated series go where kids can randomly find it but there's not as much channel-surfing on TV as there used to be. That's why syndication worked for Star Trek in the past. Now you've got to get Generation SnapChat's attention. 

#44 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:35 PM

I agree... but it seems its all about the buzz.. if they do an animated series and it gets lots of buzz then they seem willing to pay whatever to get to it. I guess they could try making them webisodes... on like you tube... but that would defeat their whole online AA model!

#45 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

I'd be shocked if CBS put Trek anywhere except for CBS All Access. 

I could see them doing what they did with Discovery, and airing the first episode on normal TV and have the rest on All Access. 

I've had no issues with the service, and my parents are still using it all the time with no issues. 

#46 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 04:17 AM

I rather like the Late show... and its been worth it to be able to watch that daily w/o commercials. Also I found the the Good Fight to be surprisingly well done... though S2 seems like it lost some of its initial steam. The service is pretty good... but when I crunch the numbers from a purely cost benefit perspective.  I probably watch it as much as my Amazon Prime... however there are other perks you get from Prime for about the same monthly price.  Netflix or Hulu are probably still the best value, but CBS AA does alright. 

#47 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:08 AM

I am open to subscribing to the CBS AA service if they can develop a Star Trek show that actually feels like legit Star Trek to me, otherwise I will spend my money elsewhere.

#48 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 07:38 AM

I would agree that if there isn't anything of value on a service that one likes... certainly theres no reason to spend money on it! That would be like going to a Mexican restaurant, ordering Tacos and then they serve you gazpacho... and then having them tell you thats all they serve now.. what would be the point... especially if you don't like gazpacho!

#49 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

In case there was ever any doubt, CBS All Access wants new Star Trek to be available year round.

https://www.cbr.com/...ar-trek-series/

#50 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:50 AM

Thats exactly what they should be doing to ensure that subs are getting a continuous "drip". 

#51 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:42 AM

News for anyone who has Amazon Prime.

http://sciencefictio...n-amazon-prime/

#52 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:31 AM

Not sure where to put this but if it finally happens, it'll definitely have an impact on CBS All Access:

https://www.hollywoo...es-exit-1142398

#53 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:04 AM

what I don't get is that as the parent company, I would think National Amusements could do what it wants... what it thinks is best... but I suppose these deals are structured in a complex way with their own boards and such. 

AA has been gathering strength... but not quickly enough... I've burned through any back log of shows I want to watch, so I'm gonna suspend my account for awhile until the backlog grows again, and then maybe in a year I'll re-up. They have been trying to keep a new original program in the forefront. 

Strange Angle wasn't bad... interesting at least, and now they have One Dollar... but that hasn't grabbed me so much. 

#54 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:35 AM

Splitting the Trek franchise between TV and film seems like a no-brainer if you're not really familiar with the property. That was a huge mistake and only limits what each division can do creatively. If the two companies merge, hopefully they'll bring Star Trek under one roof.

#55 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:20 AM

CBS is bringing back the twilight zone and making new episodes, and they will be behind the AA paywall. 

#56 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:11 AM

Im looking forward to the new Twilight Zone.

#57 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:09 PM

If they get that up and running and have trek... then CBS AA will really be on its way to becoming a new scifi network

#58 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:06 AM

World War Z might be better off as a streaming miniseries than a film franchise. CBS is probably waiting for Tom Cruise to retire so they can offer a Mission: Impossible series as well. And while I know it will never, ever happen in my lifetime, CBS All Access would probably be the perfect place for a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series that's based on the original comics instead of the kid-friendly, color-coded cartoon.

#59 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:12 PM

Wow. All good suggestions!

#60 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 08:24 AM

"CBS said fees related to distribution of its programming and revenues from digital efforts, such as its subscription video-on-demand outlet, CBS All Access, rose 32% in aggregate, helping to boost the company’s overall revenue by 3%, to about $3.26 billion from about $3.17 billion."

https://variety.com/...ngs-1203017587/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users