70 replies to this topic

#21 ryanlb

ryanlb

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jun 25 2009, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well... I have a hard time believing that every company that provides a Convention exclusive is taking a wash on for promotional purposes! Heck, SDCC is typically an opportunity to bilk collectors for simple repaints or minor releases!

Mattel is making 5 different colors of the same Hal Jordan figure and only putting a different color up for sale ea day!

Hey, now. DC Direct is the one pissing off collectors with the exclusive Hal Jordan Rainbow repaints, one per day. Mattel is pissing off collectors by not offering Gleek the Monkey with the Wonder Twins 2 pack online, he's only available at SDCC.

I am surprised that DST isn't offering a repaint or kit bash of some kind.

#22 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

Considering it is hard enough as it is to keep production and ship dates, it probably takes a great deal of extra time, planning, and money to get the SDCC exclusives done and in on time. So there is only so much they can do and only so many SDCC exclusives they can actually get done.

#23 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Jun 26 2009, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quick list of easy repaints/headswaps they could do for exclusives, with very little new pieces:

Sisko (TNG Uniform - Emissary) (this one could be a bit of a stretch though since the head hasn't been produced before)
Jadzia (TNG Uniform - Emissary)
Bashir (TNG Uniform - Emissary)
Worf (Red - Season 1)
Worf (Gold - Season 2)
Q (Season 1)
Q (DS9/Voyager)
Barclay (Voyager - Gray uniform)
McCoy (Regula 1)
Kirk (Captain - TUC)
Sulu (Captain - TUC)
McCoy (TMP - Gray suit)

Barclay from Projections
Yellow Uniform Uhura
O'Brien TNG Season 1
O'Brien TNG Season 2

The list is nearly endless.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#24 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (ryanlb @ Jun 25 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, now. DC Direct is the one pissing off collectors with the exclusive Hal Jordan Rainbow repaints, one per day. Mattel is pissing off collectors by not offering Gleek the Monkey with the Wonder Twins 2 pack online, he's only available at SDCC.

I am surprised that DST isn't offering a repaint or kit bash of some kind.

Right! I get them confused!

#25 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

It's okay. I only wanted to clear it up, because I was a voracious collector of Mattel's DCUC line, until I discovered these Trek figures a month ago.

#26 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 25 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well that wouldnt fit with what they have previously done. I think he meant new "series" such as TWOK, TNG, etc. If they were to do some Voyager figures I think its a very real possibility to get an SDCC exclusive like maybe a ECH. I could also see them releasing a general wave of Janeway, The Doctor, and Seven and then releasing the rest of the crew through SDCC much like they did with TWOK. Thats all a pipedream but I think it would fit their model of what they would do.

QUOTE (knightone @ Jun 25 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they want to promote Trek, they need to to do it in a place and in a manner that reaches out further than those who attend SDCC. Say a TV commercial on Sci-Fi or G4.

Andy and knightone...why hasn't DST hired you two yet? A Voyager line (definitely worthy of an SDCC exclusive ECH in my book,) and a TV commercial on Sci-Fi (heck, why not just an ad campaign on Sci-Fi) are two things DST sorely need.

If the DST Trek line "isn't doing well," it's because DST seems to have a dictionary that doesn't have a definition of "advertising." I know plenty of people who don't think that Trek Toys are being made anymore because they're casual consumers who don't go to SDCC or similar conventions, and they haven't seen AA/DST's distribution method--they shop primarily on places like Amazon which has had fewer Trek items than it should, and in stores like Target, Wal-Mart, and even TRU, which in my area doesn't seem to stock Trek.

What DST needs isn't another Kirk variant or SDCC exclusive to expand on their line, what DST needs is a :30 second spot (commercial) on Sci-Fi as part of an ad campaign. I can think over plenty of other places DST could advertise Trek toys as well, including:

1. NBC during "Heroes"
2. CBS during "CSI" or any of their acronym-based Sci-Fi shows
3. ABC during "Lost"
4. Sci-Fi during any time of the day
5. Space in Canada (similar to Sci-Fi)
6. G4 during Trek (G4 has admittedly fallen off of the radar with a lot of people who used to follow it,)
7. Any kids' channel (Nickelodeon, Disney XD, etc.) with any other toy commercials -- especially if you're advertising the Enterprise-D.

I could go on, but you get the point. The SDCC crowd knows about the Trek line, DST has them buying it--the people who aren't buying are the ones who would find out about the line via TV commercial, ads on Amazon, or their local Wal-Mart, Target, or Toys-R-Us. The folks around here know about Rick at Newforce and Joel at BBTS because someone told us about their sites, or we already fell into a niche that was shopping there. The consumer that doesn't go into a comic book or collectibles store though, the "casual" Trek collector, has no clue where to find DST's stuff, and DST doesn't exactly put links to where to find exclusives on their site, which makes things difficult for people like parents.

I doubt we'll see any SDCC '09 exclusives, but if we do, I'd nominate Sisko+Command chair or 7 of 9 among other "canceled" figures as contenders. If DST doesn't think they'd sell well, do a 1701 run for SDCC and see how many are leftover---if the number is zero, do a regular run and admit that you were wrong DST. I'm still fuming over the Sisko+Command Chair cancellation, the 7 of 9 cancellation, and the Maltz/Kruge/Targ two/three pack cancellation. Maybe the Trek line "isn't selling" in DST's eyes because they keep canceling items before any of us can buy them, and the TOS reissues and variants have been done to death. One or two aren't bad, five of them before a DS9/VOY line are outright ridiculous though.

#27 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:07 PM

Ive never been sold on advertising because it seems to me that DST IS advertising in the right places. Toyfare used to be clogged with DST ads. It was actually the pictorial price guide for AA figs that got me collecting Trek again. Those are the collectors who buy stuff like this. Advertising on TV I think would be counterproductive because lets say that a new collector sees the ad, they still have no idea where to buy. Ive seen ads in DVD sets, comic books, and books. Im not sure how TV spots would help at all. If you are a Trek fan and dont buy the DVDs, comics or havent seen an ad on a website Im not quite sure youd be interested in what DST is peddling.

#28 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 11 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive never been sold on advertising because it seems to me that DST IS advertising in the right places. Toyfare used to be clogged with DST ads. It was actually the pictorial price guide for AA figs that got me collecting Trek again. Those are the collectors who buy stuff like this. Advertising on TV I think would be counterproductive because lets say that a new collector sees the ad, they still have no idea where to buy. Ive seen ads in DVD sets, comic books, and books. Im not sure how TV spots would help at all. If you are a Trek fan and dont buy the DVDs, comics or havent seen an ad on a website Im not quite sure youd be interested in what DST is peddling.

Seeing the ad on TV would most likely, in this day and age, point them toward a Google search once they know what to look for. There are trek fans who don't read Toyfare (I know I don't), or go to SDCC (I don't go to any conventions of any kind), don't read comics (I haven't read a comic book in over a decade), nor buy the Trek DVDs either (I've never bought a complete season) but most likey are watching something on G4 or SyFy or Spike or Trek in syndication and who are unaware of the line. Once they see the commercial, it's a quick click away from a Google search to bring up the DST site or the AA site or any one of a number of online retailers that carry the line. Maybe they would go to TRU and find what's there and begin to seek out more. Perhaps they would make mention of it to stores like Target and Wal-mart and get their buyers to reconsider carrying the Trek line from DST. Target carries DST's minimates and DST said they have made them aware of the Trek line, they just don't think their customers are interested. If a national TV spot could get those customers asking around, it may turn that tide.

#29 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jul 12 2009, 05:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seeing the ad on TV would most likely, in this day and age, point them toward a Google search once they know what to look for. There are trek fans who don't read Toyfare (I know I don't), or go to SDCC (I don't go to any conventions of any kind), don't read comics (I haven't read a comic book in over a decade), nor buy the Trek DVDs either (I've never bought a complete season) but most likey are watching something on G4 or SyFy or Spike or Trek in syndication and who are unaware of the line. Once they see the commercial, it's a quick click away from a Google search to bring up the DST site or the AA site or any one of a number of online retailers that carry the line. Maybe they would go to TRU and find what's there and begin to seek out more. Perhaps they would make mention of it to stores like Target and Wal-mart and get their buyers to reconsider carrying the Trek line from DST. Target carries DST's minimates and DST said they have made them aware of the Trek line, they just don't think their customers are interested. If a national TV spot could get those customers asking around, it may turn that tide.

In the end the cost its going to take to make a commercial even a bad one and pay to put it on tv probably wouldnt justify the number of new buyers. I think the best advertising is getting the stuff in TRU right next to the movie stuff. That way people who buy toys/collectibles can see it. Another way to advertise is online advertising that links you right to the product.

#30 The_Donster

The_Donster

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:05 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing DST being featured on G4's AOTS, especially during their SDCC coverage wink.gif

#31 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:32 AM

So how likely is it that we will see some surprises at the SDCC? By this, I mean new stuff due for next year rather than cacellations!

#32 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:56 AM

They can announce all kinds of krazy stuff for next year, since they can always cancel it.

#33 Pauln6

Pauln6

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:03 AM

Well I'm just hoping for some TMP 2-packs. Oooh and I found that Citadel minatures even did some mini versions in the 80s! That's what I'm talking 'bout:

http://www.solegends...rtrek/index.htm

http://www.collectin...x.php/Star_Trek

#34 CanOpener1256

CanOpener1256

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:anything Star Trek, especially ship models from Art Asylum and others.

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

I am at least hoping for some updated news on the Excelisor class ships (Christmas?), and maybe a mockup of the Klingon ship for Fall of 2010?

#35 Captain Alex

Captain Alex

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Collecting almost anything Trek, especially props.

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

Has DST announced (or hinted) what class the Klingon ship is? Hopefully DST gives more info on the ships you mentioned and the TWOK communicator (and possibly tricorder).

#36 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

Bird of Prey seems to be the consensus

#37 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, Chuck dropped a mention of not getting to the development of moving wings yet, and someone on here mentioned someone that DST had referenced landing gear on a modeling board. At least, if I'm recalling correctly...

#38 Captain Alex

Captain Alex

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Collecting almost anything Trek, especially props.

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm glad they chose the BOP as their 1st alien ship.

#39 ryanlb

ryanlb

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

I'd rather it be the Romulan Warbird, perhaps with Commander Tomoloc's voice, but the Bird of Prey is also pretty nifty.

Oh, oh, just had a great idea. Rather than getting yet another ship with Kirk's voice, let's have it be the Rotarran and have General Martok soundbites. I'd buy that in a second.

#40 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

There's quite a few character sound clips they could use, but at the very least I hope they release these versions:

TVH version with Kirk and co. lines and "HMS Bounty" painted on the underside (maybe with a small replica of the fishing boat included? biggrin.gif)
TUC version with General Chang
DS9 version with Martok and battle-worn deco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users