10 replies to this topic

#1 e236

e236

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hey all...

I just recently picked up all of them to go w/ my Trek display. As you can see, in the original advertisement it states that they were supposed to come w/ a display base...none of mine did (and they were originally sealed)...was this a change on these or did I get shorted? Thanks in advance for any assistance. Also, if this was a change and these did not come w/ the stands, does anyone have any suggestions on a good stand for these? Thanks again!

#2 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

That was an ad takesn out of the Star Trek Communicator magazine in Quarks Bazaar...that wasn't an official playmates promo release. So they probably made a typo when they said they came with stands. Cuz I dont recal any of the 12" figs having stands.

#3 e236

e236

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (BadBunnyMike @ Feb 20 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was an ad takesn out of the Star Trek Communicator magazine in Quarks Bazaar...that wasn't an official playmates promo release. So they probably made a typo when they said they came with stands. Cuz I dont recal any of the 12" figs having stands.

Good to know...thanks for the info!

#4 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

I am not sure about that.... I have a few that are still MIB that i could check, but they are packed away, i may have to go check now, because you have made me curious.. I have a few Playmates 12" figures that are loose, but its been at least 10 years since i opened them and i cant remember if they had stands or not. Sometimes when a line starts out with stands they get discontinued down the line, for cost reasons usually. I know that i have a MIB TOS Spock 12" thats was in the first wave of these figures, and a MIB TWOK Spock that was one of the last 12" figures produced by Playmates, so that should be a definitive answer to the question as soon as i verify it.

EDIT: So i checked and it seems that NONE of the 12" Playmates figures from the 90's had stands with them, unless the female figures do, i dont have any of those to check.

#5 e236

e236

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Feb 20 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not sure about that.... I have a few that are still MIB that i could check, but they are packed away, i may have to go check now, because you have made me curious.. I have a few Playmates 12" figures that are loose, but its been at least 10 years since i opened them and i cant remember if they had stands or not. Sometimes when a line starts out with stands they get discontinued down the line, for cost reasons usually. I know that i have a MIB TOS Spock 12" thats was in the first wave of these figures, and a MIB TWOK Spock that was one of the last 12" figures produced by Playmates, so that should be a definitive answer to the question as soon as i verify it.

EDIT: So i checked and it seems that NONE of the 12" Playmates figures from the 90's had stands with them, unless the female figures do, i dont have any of those to check.

Thanks for checking...well looks like I'm going to have to track down some 12" figure stands...

#6 Gordo

Gordo

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Feb 20 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Off the top of my head:
-None of the 12" figures have stands.
-The male figures have peg holes in their feet, so I've used 9" stands as substitutes; however, the females do not have peg holes.

#7 Gordo

Gordo

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Gordo @ Feb 20 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Off the top of my head:
-None of the 12" figures have stands.
-The male figures have peg holes in their feet, so I've used 9" stands as substitutes; however, the females do not have peg holes.

Also:

The male 12" bodies were first produced for the specially boxed Kirk and Picard figures (which came with a book). As I say, these figures had peg holes but no stands.

There was a planned deluxe edition of the 12" figures at one point. Kirk, Spock, Picard, Data, and others were planned to be released in dress uniform on a deluxe base that played Majel Roddenberry providing a bio. I assume that these figures would've reused the original Kirk/Picard body, so the peg holes would've finally come in handy for plugging them into their talking base.

...However, that line never made it into production. And Playmates did not start throwing stands in for the "regular" male 12" figures that came out in the interim, so I assume that they just dropped the peg holes altogether when they got around to making the 12" female body (Troi, Uhura, Janeway, Seven).

#8 e236

e236

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (Gordo @ Feb 20 2010, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also:

The male 12" bodies were first produced for the specially boxed Kirk and Picard figures (which came with a book). As I say, these figures had peg holes but no stands.

There was a planned deluxe edition of the 12" figures at one point. Kirk, Spock, Picard, Data, and others were planned to be released in dress uniform on a deluxe base that played Majel Roddenberry providing a bio. I assume that these figures would've reused the original Kirk/Picard body, so the peg holes would've finally come in handy for plugging them into their talking base.

...However, that line never made it into production. And Playmates did not start throwing stands in for the "regular" male 12" figures that came out in the interim, so I assume that they just dropped the peg holes altogether when they got around to making the 12" female body (Troi, Uhura, Janeway, Seven).

Thanks for the info!

#9 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:48 AM

I was a little disappointed when 12" Troi was released in her violet uniform instead of an Insurrection outfit. The movie dress uniform would have been awesome.

#10 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

Really? I absolutely hated the movie dress uniforms, they looked like they belong on the love boat! lol ( soon will be making another run) LOL sorry, that song just pops into my head every time I see those uniforms.

I would have loved to have a 12" line with all them in their TNG uniforms, I always wish they would have gone with the movie uniforms they planned for generations. They black ones looked like something they would wear in an auto body shop. But I mean no disrespect to the people who love these uniforms, please make no mistake. smile.gif

I thought the likeness on the 12" TNG looked great, but the classic officers didn't look as good as the 9" faces did. What do you all think?

#11 e236

e236

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (skeletor @ Apr 29 2010, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? I absolutely hated the movie dress uniforms, they looked like they belong on the love boat! lol ( soon will be making another run) LOL sorry, that song just pops into my head every time I see those uniforms.

I would have loved to have a 12" line with all them in their TNG uniforms, I always wish they would have gone with the movie uniforms they planned for generations. They black ones looked like something they would wear in an auto body shop. But I mean no disrespect to the people who love these uniforms, please make no mistake. smile.gif

I thought the likeness on the 12" TNG looked great, but the classic officers didn't look as good as the 9" faces did. What do you all think?

I really like the 12" Insurrection figs...the sculpts are pretty good for the time...uniforms are good...I like the dress unis, but would have preferred the normal unis...I didn't collect the 9", but I did like the Riker w/o beard...wasn't crazy about the civilian clothes for most of that line though, but do give them credit for not just going w/ what would be expected.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users