New DST Q & A with Chuck (06/29/10)

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 6 2010, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think fans of the Indiana Jones license would disagree. Hasbro, has as much to risk as DST. There is a magnitude of scale here... Hasbro is bigger, and employes more people, therefore it must produce and sell more product. A huge miss for Hasbro, such as the Indiana Jones license has big ramifications.

I think with Indiana Jones you have a franchise that unlike Star Trek has been pretty much dead up until the most recent movie, that movie was less than popular in the long run - Star Trek on the other hand has been in the public eye for most of it's 44 year life and in recent times over 20 years non stop - through TNG to Enterprise and even when Enterprise was canned, Virgin 1 in the UK has shown Star Trek, including Enterprise non stop, you've then had CBS remaster TOS, US TV stations show Trek non stop too, and Paramount spending $150 million on a summer blockbuster with arguably one of the hottest talents in Hollywood at the moment - someone must be watching for them to play it so regularly, and it's not just the US and UK, I know for a fact that Trek is huge in Germany so to suggest that the franchise is in trouble still, and hasn't attracted any new fans into the fold isn't correct - I simply can not say that "Star Trek" 2009 wasn't a huge success, the new movie may not have added any new hard core fans like us biggrin.gif but as TheHSBR said, because of the movie it is now more acceptable to like Star Trek! and no doubt would have brought in casual fans - some may even like collecting toys!

But that aside, again, I think your falling into the trap that there really is a huge market for the product and that DST just isn't hitting the variables with respect to that market.

I remember having this conversation about the Star Trek franchise itself when Enterprise had just been canceled, I thought that Star Trek was well and truly dead, that Rick Berman (DST) had become lazy and tied in the way he produced Star Trek and that the best had come and gone but along comes JJ Abrams (Hasbro?), makes it cool again and acceptable to people (kids) who once laughed it off as cheesy nerd food that had had it - last years movie just showed us all that there is still an appetite for Star Trek and like Star Wars it's one of the very few franchises that have stood the test of time and remained popular.

I think there is a huge appetite from collectors, general nerds and fans of Star Trek for some great toys and collectables - Hasbro seem to be able to target both kids and collectors alike with relevant and modern products that excite people, casual or hardcore - i wouldn't say i was a hardcore Wars fan but wow I've got the BMF and I'm getting the new Vintage line as well as the AT AT and Snowspeeder!, Star Trek has so much potential to appeal to the masses, if it is just given to the right people - the new movie showed us the potential it has as an appealing, relevant franchise to a modern mainstream audience - there's no doubt that if the line was given to Hasbro that they wouldn't make it relevant and appealing to a modern mainstream market.

One more thing people need to be aware of. Things are changing quickly with regards to labor in China. I was in China for several weeks last month, and everyday there were new stories about labor strikes and wage hikes going about on mainland China. Remember one of the main variables to sell anything, is that you have to know the price point your customer will pay. With rising wages in China, the cost to manufacture product will rise. We've been seeing it allot, and it's not the end. Expect prices to rise further. Every figure from Matty for MOTCU cost close to $30 by the time your done with shipping and handling and a large part of that is the labor to manufacture them. I'm sure quite a few people here would pay that kind of money, but is it enough? Matty hasn't released production run numbers, but the assumption is the numbers are in 10k+ range, which seems like allot, but for mattel or hasbro a run is typically 100k+. So the question seems to be... are there 10k+ fans that will gobble up every start trek release if a company went the Matty route? DST, it seems, can't find 1701 in most cases! Playmates doesn't seem to think so either.

Quality is everything - Hasbro have trimmed down their Star Wars line considerably this year but the quality of each product remains strong and sales will reflect that. I'm shooting at stars now but I would say that the reason DST and Playmates product don't sell well is because if you compare DST's and PM's Trek items to those of Hasbro's Star Wars, Transformers and hell even GI-Joe items, well there just isn't any comparison - Hasbro win out on both companies hands down in terms of build quality.

Lets just imagine for a moment that Hasbro have had a Star Trek license for a year now - They show us a Big Massive Enterprise - over 2 foot long, loaded with firing projectiles, incased within an amazingly detailed - film accurate sculpt including lights and sounds taken from the movie, a vintage line of figures based on the classic TV series and a new movie line of figures based on the 2009 movie, an electronic play set of the bridge, a shuttle craft, a 2 foot Kelvin with battle damage, an action figure set of the ice planet scene including two monsters an escape pod from the Enterprise, Kirk and Spock prime and a whole load of role play from both classic TOS and new movie all priced and made as Hasbro have priced and produced their figures and ships for Star Wars - they would sell why? because we know that each of those toys would be built with some care and attention to detail - like everything they do. It's not so much that people don't want to buy Star Trek product - they just don't want to buy shit Star Trek product - Hasbro don't produce crap, unfortunately DST and Playmates have produced crap and when something comes out from DST that is any good it's dogged with quality control issues so why should people waste their money on something that isn't worth the money in the first place?

I simply don't think this has anything to do with the popularity of Star Trek - it's out there, the movie showed us all that there is still a huge hunger for Star Trek - but it has to be good Star Trek - and just like the movies - the toys have to be good too and I'm afraid DST aren't producing quality merchandise, and the same for Playmates too.

Remember, before AA picked up the license several years back... no one wanted it. Not to make toys anyway. And that was back when Enterprise was still on the air. I have to ask whats changed so dramatically in the positive direction that these other companies might want the license? Sure they all want a pieces of a new movie, and since the CBS / Paramount split, the license is a bit fractured so now the TV shows & movie licenses are different deals so companies went after the license for the new movie, and they probably will again for the 2012 movie, but it doesn't mean there is a market for the CBS portion of the license.

I'm not sure I understand what you trying to get at here?

Before "Star Trek" (2009) Star Trek was considered by many in the wider world as fan-boy nonsense, a franchise that hadn't been relevant since The Next Generation TV series. Now obviously we here think it's all been fantastic for the most part and that people who think it's shit just don't understand it. But in a world ruled by the almighty dollar, Star Trek had to make money, it wasn't so it was canned. After "Star Trek" (2009) Star Trek has been considered by many in the wider world as something that appeals to them, something that has relevance as well as being entertaining and fun to watch - unlike many revivals, it seems Star Trek has legs, people who wouldn't have given Star Trek any of their time seem to be genuinely excited at the prospect of a sequel in 2012 - My point is that things have changed, the critics loved the movie, the word of mouth helped the BO takings and all in all people LIKE Star Trek now because of the new movie, because the movie is relevant for a modern movie going audience an audience that would be as happy now as they were coming out of the cinema last year, to sit back and watch the new movie again on DVD and on the TV because it's entertaining - you don't need a diploma in Star Trek studies to enjoy it and thats the key... As for the license - CBS owns it all, they own the marketing side as well as the brand name and TV rights whilst Paramount own the production side to the movies. So it is with CBS the decision lies as to who gets a license - as I understand it, a license is split up anyway - DST for example have a license to produce action figures, ships and role play but not play-sets - Playmates had the master toy license so as i understand it could have produced anything from Star Trek including it's past.

Obviously at the moment and for the foreseeable future we are only going to get toys from the new movie and toys from the classic TV series. TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT just haven't come away with the same iconic status as the likes of Kirk and Spock. They are spin-offs to the original Roddenberry concept and whilst we all might want a Voyager toy or a DS9 crew, regardless of the company, you'll never get that. What any company would do is the items they know would stand the best chance of selling - this means Kirk and Spock and the new movie and classic TV show - DST have done it all, and now seem to be lost as to where to go with it now and for that reason alone another company should take it over, that company should in my mind be Hasbro because Hasbro offer the license a company fit for the size of the franchise and it's fan-base. Like Star Wars before it, if Hasbro get a license we can expect figures from the new movies and TOS - If it is successful then down the line we could see TNG figures and so on... The main differences though would be that finally Star Trek get a company dedicated to producing toys that are built for play as well as display - an ideal company to take the future of the license forward, to appeal to kids as well as collectors and with their cross-over lines too, especially their Transformers, Unleashed and Ttitanium lines, it's perhaps those that will ensure it's longevity at Hasbro during the years that there isn't a Star Trek movie or TV series.

Finally, this was an article at www.trekmovie.com: http://trekmovie.com...tractions-more/

#42 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 6 2010, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think fans of the Indiana Jones license would disagree. Hasbro, has as much to risk as DST. There is a magnitude of scale here... Hasbro is bigger, and employes more people, therefore it must produce and sell more product. A huge miss for Hasbro, such as the Indiana Jones license has big ramifications.

I think Indy is the perfect example. When Indy flopped what happened to Hasbros operations? I saw no slow down in any of their other lines and no loss of quality that wasnt already present in their current lines. It wasnt until the economy fell that things started to get canceled and we are just strating to see now the loss of articulation in star wars figures. I think Indy shows us that Hasbro produces these figures for pennies and can still make money even on a huge flop like Indy. DST though couldnt even come close to that.

#43 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:50 AM

I was looking for that article. I'm glad you posted it here. Reading about possible Star Trek Lego sets leads me to believe that yes, maybe CBS/Paramount are considering a license change up for Star Trek. The fact that Hasbro made a "Cloverfield" Monster and that they also have the license for "The Micronauts" leads me to believe that JJ Abrahams is a good investment for Hasbro. I think JJ will follow a man he looks up to, George Lucas and get Hasbro to help mold Star Trek into the merchandising giant that Star Wars is. I get the feeling that CBS/Paramount were less than impressed with both DST and Playmates sales performance and are probably looking around for the company to make Star Trek BIG!

I see Playmates and DST hiatus for the figures as maybe a last ditch effort to create something to really impressive to try and keep the license. All the comments coming from DST and Playmates lead me to think that they are overhauling the way in which they manufacture the figures and present these to the retail buyers and end consumer. I think this will also lead to a scale change- most likely to 3 3/4". I think:

DST will probably still do Ships, Tech, Retro-cloth and Minimates (Provided Lego doesn't pick up the license)

Playmates (With DST) - If these two companies can come together and do something great, will be responsible for 3 3/4 figures and play sets, also toys of ships and shuttles.

Hasbro (If Playmates with DST's help can't come up with something better, I think Hasbro stands a good chance of taking on the license)

or)

CBS/Paramount may go with an up and coming toy manufacturer like Spin Master, Jazzwares

or)

Maybe they will go with Neca or McFarlane (McFarlane's "Halo" and "Prince of Persia" 4" lines are both awesome and have a good deal of articulation but, I just don't see them doing ships and playsets)

I'm not saying that this is what will happen but I get the feeling that CBS/Paramount are raising the bar for what they want to see with product for Star Trek. I don't think that what they have seen as far as action figures from either DST or Playmates has met their higher expectations for the property. I think 2012 will be when they put the ACTION back in the figure!

#44 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jul 6 2010, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was looking for that article. I'm glad you posted it here. Reading about possible Star Trek Lego sets leads me to believe that yes, maybe CBS/Paramount are considering a license change up for Star Trek. The fact that Hasbro made a "Cloverfield" Monster and that they also have the license for "The Micronauts" leads me to believe that JJ Abrahams is a good investment for Hasbro. I think JJ will follow a man he looks up to, George Lucas and get Hasbro to help mold Star Trek into the merchandising giant that Star Wars is. I get the feeling that CBS/Paramount were less than impressed with both DST and Playmates sales performance and are probably looking around for the company to make Star Trek BIG!

I see Playmates and DST hiatus for the figures as maybe a last ditch effort to create something to really impressive to try and keep the license. All the comments coming from DST and Playmates lead me to think that they are overhauling the way in which they manufacture the figures and present these to the retail buyers and end consumer. I think this will also lead to a scale change- most likely to 3 3/4". I think:

DST will probably still do Ships, Tech, Retro-cloth and Minimates (Provided Lego doesn't pick up the license)

Playmates (With DST) - If these two companies can come together and do something great, will be responsible for 3 3/4 figures and play sets, also toys of ships and shuttles.

Hasbro (If Playmates with DST's help can't come up with something better, I think Hasbro stands a good chance of taking on the license)

or)

CBS/Paramount may go with an up and coming toy manufacturer like Spin Master, Jazzwares

or)

Maybe they will go with Neca or McFarlane (McFarlane's "Halo" and "Prince of Persia" 4" lines are both awesome and have a good deal of articulation but, I just don't see them doing ships and playsets)

I'm not saying that this is what will happen but I get the feeling that CBS/Paramount are raising the bar for what they want to see with product for Star Trek. I don't think that what they have seen as far as action figures from either DST or Playmates has met their higher expectations for the property. I think 2012 will be when they put the ACTION back in the figure!

If this was facebook and there was a 'Like' button, i'd be pressing it right now... I couldn't agree more with this. It makes a lot of sense for CBS to hand the license over to Hasbro and take it from DST and Playmates - Whilst Hasbro have been responsible for some JJ Abrams productions, they also work with Paramount on Transformers and GI-Joe as well as Indiana Jones and Iron Man - of which all are Paramount Picture's. One thing i think is for sure, in 2012 it won't be DST or Playmates, i'd bet many Quatloos on that.

It also just feels right that Hasbro get this license, I was stunned they had given it to Playmates in the first place since Playmates hasn't really been a major competitor in the boys toy's aisles. With DST I think it's just a matter of them running fresh out of ideas. All good things come to an end and DST's good thing came to an end a while back so I don't think they will be given the chance to renew their license.

#45 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:24 AM

Where is this assurance that Hasbro would get the license coming from? Unless there is a deal already on the table, no company would "hand over" a major franchise's merchandising license to anybody. If their license isn't renewed, it won't be up to DST to "hand it over," but rather it will be up to CBS to shop it around to companies that show interest.

Frankly, Hasbro most likely wouldn't see it as a worthwhile endeavor. Their strategy is about dominating the toy aisle, and both Star Trek lines have shown that they can't do this.

#46 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

On the contrary, they still dominate the TRU aisles by me with the sheer number of pieces still on the shelf!!

#47 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

Well played, sir. biggrin.gif

#48 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

I don't know if anyone has checked Playmates Toys website lately but it looks like they are cleaning up house. No links for Star Trek, Terminator, Gormiti, Disney: Tinkerbell or their proven money maker Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. This lack of any product information speaks volumes about their future involvement. Check it out for yourselves:

http://playmatestoys.com/index.shtml#

#49 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jul 6 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jazzwares???

Don't even joke about that!

You think Playmates are bad...look at a Jazzwares figure.

Plus Jazzwares don't do female figures. A Classic set without Uhura? I think not.

I could get behind a Hasbro Trek line for sure, though as others have mentioned Hasbro probably wouldn't be interested & Playmates probably wouldn't want to give up the license.

Neca/McFarlane are very slow in releases, have limited movement & generally only do 1 assortment per movie featuring the main 3 or 4 characters. They would not be my choice for those reasons.

But....whatever. I'm pretty easily pleased when it comes to Trek figures.

If Playmates do still have the license for upcoming Trek movies, I hope they learned a few lessons. Especially in regards to playsets.

#50 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

For those of you who are so optimistic, I like the way you dream! I really do. But the truth is even Hasbro demands that a line make money before they will sink money into its development. Hasbro inherited a great line called "Marvel Legends" all they had to do was keep churning out product the way Toy Biz did. But the bottom line was that Hasbro had to pay more to have the license, so they raised the cost and cut the quality. Fans overwhelmingly voted with their wallets, and that line is dead now, replaced by the inferior "Marvel Universe" line.

The reality is Hasbro would never make a Star Trek Toy like the Big Millennium Falcon right away. They actually repackaged and re-sold the same old Falcon for years before they made something like that. The star wars line is riddled with kit bashed and repainted figures... much more so then completely all new sculpts and characters. Hasbro does things like their "Vintage line" to develop advancements in their pieces/parts because fans will pay $10 for a figure that Hasbro will re-package or repaint and re-release for $6 later. Star Wars fans are rewarded because they buy everything, and they buy it year after year.

I'm just speaking for myself, but I think DST's role play stuff is better then anything Hasbro or any other company makes for the same price point.

#51 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 6 2010, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those of you who are so optimistic, I like the way you dream! I really do. But the truth is even Hasbro demands that a line make money before they will sink money into its development. Hasbro inherited a great line called "Marvel Legends" all they had to do was keep churning out product the way Toy Biz did. But the bottom line was that Hasbro had to pay more to have the license, so they raised the cost and cut the quality. Fans overwhelmingly voted with their wallets, and that line is dead now, replaced by the inferior "Marvel Universe" line.

The reality is Hasbro would never make a Star Trek Toy like the Big Millennium Falcon right away. They actually repackaged and re-sold the same old Falcon for years before they made something like that. The star wars line is riddled with kit bashed and repainted figures... much more so then completely all new sculpts and characters. Hasbro does things like their "Vintage line" to develop advancements in their pieces/parts because fans will pay $10 for a figure that Hasbro will re-package or repaint and re-release for $6 later. Star Wars fans are rewarded because they buy everything, and they buy it year after year.

I'm just speaking for myself, but I think DST's role play stuff is better then anything Hasbro or any other company makes for the same price point.

I agree, it took Hasbro along time to get Star Wars up to the standards of the "Vintage" line! I've been collecting Star Wars since 1978. I've seen alot of hits and misses. I really would prefer that DST and Playmates share the license and together come up with some figures that hold their own against Star Wars. I enjoy the fact that with both DST and Playmates, I can send questions to either DST Chuck or Paula Billingsley and get feedback. That would be out the window with Hasbro. All Q&As with them are thru a middle man. So I definately hope Playmates and DST can come up with something. I believe that if this is going to work Playmates needs to stick with one scale 3 3/4 and Playsets. DST should have a hand in Playmates product development and if DST still keeps producing the 7" line ,there should be no parts reusage! Sculpts should be all original, include a diorama piece and be in a numbered collector box and maybe include some electronics like voice chips in the figure base. By all means the figures should have pegholes in their feet as well!

#52 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

To be honest I cant think of a single good line that I would want to collect that doesnt reuse parts.

#53 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Jul 6 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jazzwares???

Don't even joke about that!

You think Playmates are bad...look at a Jazzwares figure.

Plus Jazzwares don't do female figures. A Classic set without Uhura? I think not.

I could get behind a Hasbro Trek line for sure, though as others have mentioned Hasbro probably wouldn't be interested & Playmates probably wouldn't want to give up the license.

Neca/McFarlane are very slow in releases, have limited movement & generally only do 1 assortment per movie featuring the main 3 or 4 characters. They would not be my choice for those reasons.

But....whatever. I'm pretty easily pleased when it comes to Trek figures.

If Playmates do still have the license for upcoming Trek movies, I hope they learned a few lessons. Especially in regards to playsets.

I was just throwing the name Jazwares out there as an example of if CBS/Paramount would go with someone new for the line. My ultimate dream for Trek would be that DST and Playmates got together and had some success with a really good all inclusive 3 3/4" line. Something a little better than Playmates did with the 2009 line. I love Hasbro's Star Wars line but I would really prefer to see the little guy come out on top. I have faith that with a little guidance DST and Playmates could give us the Star Trek line we have all been dreaming of!

#54 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 6 2010, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest I cant think of a single good line that I would want to collect that doesnt reuse parts.

People complain about that alot around here, but I think it's a common practice in the toy industry. I think the main problem that DST has had with reusing parts is when they compromise scale to reuse them. With smaller figures, like 3 3/4", relative scale is either unnoticeable or irrelevant in some lines so it doesn't make as big of a difference. And with some lines, like MOTU, scale isn't an issue since there are no real actors to compare them to, it is completely irrelevant. But with the Trek line, it becomes all too apparent. If DST had been more careful about picking the reused parts and paid more attention to scale, we probably wouldn't have cared as much.

#55 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Jul 7 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If DST had been more careful about picking the reused parts and paid more attention to scale, we probably wouldn't have cared as much.

Indeed. Re-use doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as it is done well.

DST had what they needed to make good figures...they just made some truely odd decisions. Body choices for TNG5 Ogawa/O'Brien certainly spring to mind. Not to mention a greater portion of the DS9 crew.

But whatever company holds the license, it will be largely based on re-use.

Mattel are currently showing with their WWE line how you can re-use to the max while still maintaining scale.

#56 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:07 AM

I think what people are forgetting is that Hasbro bid for this license back in 2008 for the master toy line to produce toys for it as well as the new movie in 2009 - ultimately CBS gave the licence to Playmates, I'm assuming because they had experience doing Trek back in the 90's and well the rest is history. I wouldn't put it past them to want it again.

On the issue of re-used body parts, the bigger the scale the more noticeable it is and whilst other lines from other companies such as NECA and Hasbro do do the same, with Star Trek I feel it's a little more obvious because of the plain uniforms and the over use of the same bodies. But I'm with many here, it doesn't bother me as long as it's done well, the WoK figures are an example of how to reuse bodies well but their decisions to use the Data body on DS9 figures especially - the one body with really bad quality control issues - for the majority of characters!!! For me DST have let us down with quality above anything else...

#57 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

I'll admit I skimmed some of this, but kudos to all of you with all these great thoughts. Here are a few of mine.

First, I think there is absolutely a market out there. One of the things, though, is that there has to be faith, money, and timing involved in the marketing. As I indicated in another thread, 2012 is a huge year for Star Trek. There's the new movie and the TNG 25th Anniversary. CBS/Paramount would be pretty silly to NOT try and cash in on that. I think they could do it, too. Unfortunately, they have to have a toy company that can afford to take a few risks and, more importantly, keep people interested in the line by keeping new things coming. '90s Playmates kept the ball rolling for quite some time and it wasn't until they started over-head-swapping and 1701-ing that they started to lose their stride.

Personally, I think the Doctor Who figures are the perfect scale. They're small enough to "play with" but detailed enough to display as well. They are an all-purpose figure. Since I started that collection, my DST's are looking a little too large. Still great, overall, but large.

A re-launch of TNG in syndication (maybe remastered...or a few key ep's remastered) with tie-ins (promos and stuff) for the new film could build interest in a toy line. Do a full TNG crew, a full new film crew, a slew of aliens, ships, and tek and I think it could work. But the marketing dollars and exposure have to be there. They have to make more than just us want their product. I have never felt that DST has done a good job at that. Heck, there's a BSG two-pack that is in stores/on-line that the DST website still has listed as "pre-order."

Star Wars also does something that has kept it going so well and that is well-timed re-issues. The keep cycling through the characters and then coming back so that new collector's can jump right in without the help of E-bay. They've even started doing figures based on concept art for characters. There could be a "Star Trek: Legacy" line that cycles through the casts and a "Star Trek:Aliens" line that could continue for a long time without repeating.

So, long story short...I totally believe the market is there...but the companies have to risk the dollars to let the market know that these are items that they want.

I guess I had more to say than I thought. smile.gif Feel free to skim accordingly.

#58 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

I guess I'm just a glass-is-half-empty kinda guy, but I just don't see where the evidence is. In order to risk the dollars there needs to be at least some indication of the possibility of success. While we are here talking about how much we'd love figures like... for example... Chapel and Rand... where is the indication that anybody outside of these boards wants them?

Everybody except the end-customer (who just wants product) wants to make money in this whole equation, so if the interest were there, the retailers would be happy to order as many of a figure as will sell. The fact that they won't order sufficient quantities to get product made, and that the products they do order sit for so long, tells me that in fact interest is not there, and probably won't be for years. (I have my doubts that 24th century Trek will ever have a successful toy line again. Classic Trek popularity will come and go in waves that will crest at lower and lower points as time goes on, but... I just have a hard time seeing the case for TNG...)

#59 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Jul 7 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess I'm just a glass-is-half-empty kinda guy, but I just don't see where the evidence is. In order to risk the dollars there needs to be at least some indication of the possibility of success. While we are here talking about how much we'd love figures like... for example... Chapel and Rand... where is the indication that anybody outside of these boards wants them?

Everybody except the end-customer (who just wants product) wants to make money in this whole equation, so if the interest were there, the retailers would be happy to order as many of a figure as will sell. The fact that they won't order sufficient quantities to get product made, and that the products they do order sit for so long, tells me that in fact interest is not there, and probably won't be for years. (I have my doubts that 24th century Trek will ever have a successful toy line again. Classic Trek popularity will come and go in waves that will crest at lower and lower points as time goes on, but... I just have a hard time seeing the case for TNG...)

As much as I admire the optimism, I think most people are looking at this from the point of view of a hardcore fan or collector. It is a thing they love, so they can't see that other people, most people, might not love that thing as much as they do. I think you are right in that the evidence shows there is not enough demand there.

The only reason Hasbro bid on the license is because the Abrams Trek was most assuredly going to be a summer blockbuster regardless of the Trek franchise and they probably bid on most blockbuster licenses. It wasn't because it was Trek, it was just because the studio was putting the same push behind it that they do with most summer action releases and Hasbro always bids for a piece of that kind of action. In fact I believe that it was the fact that the movie was being sold as a non-traditional Star Trek movie that anyone even gave it a glance. If it was another TNG movie, I'd be willing to bet Hasbro would have passed it by without a second thought.

#60 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:40 PM

So is this the thread where we all get on our soap boxes again? My turn... wink.gif

QUOTE (weyoun_9 @ Jul 7 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I indicated in another thread, 2012 is a huge year for Star Trek. There's the new movie and the TNG 25th Anniversary. CBS/Paramount would be pretty silly to NOT try and cash in on that.

2009 was a huge year for Star Trek. They tried to cash in on it, for sure, and were surely successful in some areas. But as far as retail toys go, they appear to have failed miserably. I would say there is no reason to think that Playmates/DST would do a better job in 2012. So yes, a new toy company would probably need to get involved...but I don't see that happening.

QUOTE (A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees @ Jul 7 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The DST + TRU marriage was the the chance to put cool product in front of as many people as possible who might not otherwise know it existed; it was the chance to get some real market interest numbers. That chance was wasted on Kirks & Spocks out the wazoo. I was waiting for some TNG/24th stuff to appear because the fact is that I see lots of new parents the same age as me walking the aisles with their kids, and if you are from my generation then your nostalgia center of the brain is more likely to be excited by TNG than TOS. TRU probably thought that TOS was where the money would be due to the movie; TRU didn't apparently realize that their Playmates figures from the movie would be [more than] enough. DST says the Borg wave didn't get enough pre-orders? I'd have to say that means TRU wasn't interested -- and why the hell not? What drives TRU to carry all the cool freaky monsters from Gremlins, NECA cult classics, Predator, Alien, etc, etc, but when it comes to Star Trek all they are interested in stocking is Kirk & Spock?

I don't think we know what the "real" market is like yet and we probably never will. DST never tried to find & reach it on their own until TRU, and TRU didn't order much of anything so that got us nowhere. Playmates tried with the 2009 movie and proved that the market wasn't all that interested in what they were offering, which wasn't much to get excited about in the first place. I don't think TRU/DST/Playmates learned anything from their mistakes except an assumption that the market just doesn't want Star Trek, period. So it will be up to someone else to try with a new approach if there is to be any hope. But I think nobody would care enough to take the risk until there was a current media tie-in that lasts longer than a spring/summer blockbuster.

If I were them, I would try harder to mine the vast array of interesting supporting characters and to release the boring crewman-in-uniform figures more slowly. I believe other toy lines are successful with the kids because of the huge diversity inherent to them...superheros are all unique...Star Wars characters are all unique...and they are all cool looking. Trek has that diversity as well. Playmates went there back in the day and almost started going there before their line died...IMO it was a major bungle that they didn't release Keenser, Polarilla, and Lobster Monster right with Wave 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users