Photo

> Custom IN SCALE S7 Picard and Fixed Nemesis Geordi Combadge, So easy a caveman can do it!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 thecapn

thecapn

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

Just a note that there's a new custom in the customs forum smile.gif

http://www.trektoy.c...p?showtopic=700

#2 IAmTheKeymaster

IAmTheKeymaster

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE(thecapn @ Mar 15 2007, 09:26 PM) View Post
So easy a caveman can do it!

Not cool! tongue.gif roflmao.gif

#3 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:12 PM

that is very offensive

#4 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:38 PM

I think it's a very funny and clever way of pointing a finger at the absurd Political Correctness that people seemed schackled with in today's society.

#5 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:25 PM

I can't wait til the sitcom comes out

#6 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:36 AM

I'm thinking that the title might need a rewording given the current Cave Man direction we're on. LOL Then moved to the 10 forward area?? LOL I was thinking that I was going to talk about action figures.

#7 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:49 AM

Oh man! If their new TV show does well I hope there are action figures.. but not by some really expensive "Artistic" company like mcfarlane... Well, maybe.. hmm that does sound good..

#8 thecapn

thecapn

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:50 AM

Wow, I didn't mean for a conversation to start on the cavemen part smile.gif

Although this has gotten pretty funny to me...

I agree about pointing a finger at all the political correctness out there sometimes, though. I mean, for instance, what's with all the different names for races? I'm white. I call myself white. When I think of my race (which I don't too often) I think "White." Black people are Black. Hispanics are Hispanic. I don't think any of those terms are derogatory in any way, and I don't intend them to be (after all, they just describe the color of our skin and nothing else about us). But not too long ago someone got mad at me for saying they were Black. They were African-American, and they got pissed at me. Why? Why does it matter? Why do we have to have politically correct terms for everything, even when the existing terms weren't derogatory in the first place?

*Sigh*

Anyway, back to the original subject, I just wanted to point you guys to the custom I did for all of you who didn't care for the S7 Picard we got. And I know there are more than a few of you! I don't want to toot my own horn, I just wanted to show that it's pretty easy and anyone can do it with a little free time and a couple of extra figures.

#9 krash

krash

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:59 AM

What would you say the total investment to do this is?

#10 thecapn

thecapn

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE(Crash Test Dummy @ Mar 16 2007, 08:59 AM) View Post
What would you say the total investment to do this is?

Hmm...

Well, let's start with the figures.

You'll need a Nemesis Picard - www.decipher.com still has a number in stock in their store for $9.99. I bought two to be safe, and the shipping was about $5.00 if I remeber correctly, so that's around $15 or so. Keep in mind that you won't be able to use the head on the Nemesis body again, so you probably don't want to use your display figure if you have one.

You'll need a CoC Data too, which is available from New Force. You have to buy the Riker/Troi pack with it, so the total there with shipping is about $35.00 or so.

Also, the hands were from my pile of accessories...they were from TOS figures. So that's another $20 or so for one of those (although you could just as easily use Nemesis Picard's hands I suppose, although you might have to work on the posts to get them to fit).

Other stuff I used:

Sandpaper, fine grade. <$10 for a big pack (you'll only need a little.)
An XACTO knife (any knife will do, I'm just partial to the control you have with an XACTO). These run about $5 at an office supply store, Wal-Mart, or craft store.
Paint. I used Games Workshop paint, Chaos Black, Shining Gold, and White. They run $3.00 each (I can't explain how good these are - they don't peel, crack or fade over time, since they're made to be used with miniatures that are played with. They're expensive, but I think it's worth it).
Paint Brush. My supplier of these is a small comic book shop in Poland (yep, that's right). The reason? They're cheap, about a $1 each, and they're extremely fine for better detail. Now, since you probably don't have friends or relatives living in Poland, that's probably out of the question. A brush that should do the job should run about $10 in a craft store.
Super Glue, to tighten up the loose joints. Not required for all customizers, but it is for me. I got some from Wal-Mart for about $5.

So, if I were to start this from scratch with NO materials it would cost about: $110 blink.gif

Of course, I had everything but the two figures to start with, so I guess it cost me about $50.

But keep in mind two things: I ended up utilizing the parts from the Nemesis Picard body in other customs, so that spread out the cost a little. Plus, you get Nemesis Riker and Troi as well in this deal, which cost $30 on their own; If you already have them, you could probably sell this set to a friend or on eBay and recoup at least some of that. I don't particularly count that $30 as part of the cost of this custom, since I'm either going to use them for future customs as the need arises, or keep them MIB.

So to ME, the cost was $20...which isn't bad.

#11 Goro

Goro

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(thecapn @ Mar 16 2007, 12:50 PM) View Post
Wow, I didn't mean for a conversation to start on the cavemen part smile.gif

Although this has gotten pretty funny to me...

I agree about pointing a finger at all the political correctness out there sometimes, though. I mean, for instance, what's with all the different names for races? I'm white. I call myself white. When I think of my race (which I don't too often) I think "White." Black people are Black. Hispanics are Hispanic. I don't think any of those terms are derogatory in any way, and I don't intend them to be (after all, they just describe the color of our skin and nothing else about us). But not too long ago someone got mad at me for saying they were Black. They were African-American, and they got pissed at me. Why? Why does it matter? Why do we have to have politically correct terms for everything, even when the existing terms weren't derogatory in the first place?

*Sigh*

Anyway, back to the original subject, I just wanted to point you guys to the custom I did for all of you who didn't care for the S7 Picard we got. And I know there are more than a few of you! I don't want to toot my own horn, I just wanted to show that it's pretty easy and anyone can do it with a little free time and a couple of extra figures.

I wouldn't assume to call ANYone african-american... that's like calling every white person german-american.. how are you supposed to know what country their ancestors are from?
black is a skin color, just like red is a hair color and brown is an eye color..
Being offended by something is a personal choice, and I think anyone who gets offended by things is an idiot (does that offend you? hmmmm)

#12 thecapn

thecapn

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Goro @ Mar 16 2007, 05:28 PM) View Post
I wouldn't assume to call ANYone african-american... that's like calling every white person german-american.. how are you supposed to know what country their ancestors are from?
black is a skin color, just like red is a hair color and brown is an eye color..
Being offended by something is a personal choice, and I think anyone who gets offended by things is an idiot (does that offend you? hmmmm)

Sure does! I'm highly offended!

Just kidding.

Seriously, though, I completely agree with you. After all, what's the big deal?

#13 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:11 PM

OK NOW I AM OFFENDED!!!!!!!!!!
because people are getting offended over offending people that are offended about offensive people.

Cavemen offend me. biggrin.gif

#14 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

Ok at this point can anyone tell me why this should not be closed? dry.gif

#15 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:21 PM

because it may offend someone???

Just kidding I think it is dead too.

#16 thecapn

thecapn

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(JMW326 @ Mar 16 2007, 06:21 PM) View Post
because it may offend someone???

Just kidding I think it is dead too.

Yeah, go ahead and close it. I obviously didn't mean for it to take this turn.

#17 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

Since it is your thread and you have given it the go ahead, I hereby close this thread. It's so easy even a caveman can do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users