Harry Kim: Federation Fugitive from "Timeless"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CargoBay 13

CargoBay 13

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:My 2 lovely daughters and my beautiful wife, Custom Action Figures, some comics, Horror movies

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

I met Garret Wang for the 2nd time at a wonderful con in Jackson, MS in 2007. Sadly, this year's been postponed, but we're keeping high hopes for another one.

I used SpaceSuit Kirk for the arms and legs, Kim's head, and then I used Dr. Soong's body. I Dremmeled off his coat tails, sprayed it silver, and put it back together. Then I used Cajun Sneaux in a can for add the frosted effect. He really liked it, and even remembered the Buster Kincaid figure from before. Very cool guy in my book!

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:31 AM

Nicely done! What makes playmates great is the availability of figures like soong and spacesuit kirk to develop ideas for new customs!

#3 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

Wow! Very nice work CargoBay.

Mmmmmm....long hair Garret Wang! biggrin.gif

#4 CargoBay 13

CargoBay 13

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:My 2 lovely daughters and my beautiful wife, Custom Action Figures, some comics, Horror movies

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE(Artistix @ Jul 1 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! Very nice work CargoBay.

Mmmmmm....long hair Garret Wang! biggrin.gif

Thanks! Garret had let his hair grow out for a while. It was longish in 2006, too. Looks great for his role in "Of Gods and Men"

#5 CargoBay 13

CargoBay 13

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jul 1 2008, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nicely done! What makes playmates great is the availability of figures like soong and spacesuit kirk to develop ideas for new customs!

Thank you. And I couldn't agree more. I've also used SeaQuest and Coneheads figures, as well as some Marvel heroes of the same scale. Playmates are the best in my humble opinion. I really love the way this figure came out. I can't tell you how hard it was to find that canned snow in the summertime... dry.gif

#6 Tom Hudspeth

Tom Hudspeth

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

Fantastic work! And to have the actor appreciate and remember you is worth it all! Did you ever do the walk through for the cards? Like, how do you get the old glue and paper off of the clear plastic?

Tom

#7 TrekCollector01

TrekCollector01

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Writing, collecting Star trek figures, movies, Tennis

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:34 AM

QUOTE(CargoBay 13 @ Jul 1 2008, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I met Garret Wang for the 2nd time at a wonderful con in Jackson, MS in 2007. Sadly, this year's been postponed, but we're keeping high hopes for another one.

I used SpaceSuit Kirk for the arms and legs, Kim's head, and then I used Dr. Soong's body. I Dremmeled off his coat tails, sprayed it silver, and put it back together. Then I used Cajun Sneaux in a can for add the frosted effect. He really liked it, and even remembered the Buster Kincaid figure from before. Very cool guy in my book!

Pretty cool! Looks almost exactly like him from Timeless!

#8 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE(Tom Hudspeth @ Jul 17 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic work! And to have the actor appreciate and remember you is worth it all! Did you ever do the walk through for the cards? Like, how do you get the old glue and paper off of the clear plastic?

Goof Off tongue.gif

Wait, sorry. Goof Off is a product that will get rid of the paper on the bubble. Don't use too much or it gets cloudy.

#9 CargoBay 13

CargoBay 13

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE(Tiberius @ Aug 18 2008, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goof Off tongue.gif

Wait, sorry. Goof Off is a product that will get rid of the paper on the bubble. Don't use too much or it gets cloudy.

I actually have a method that works pretty well for me. After carefully peeling off the blister from the backing board, I remove by hand all the paper. Then I flip it over in a square Tupperware plastic container with water. I let it sit overnight, then I flip it over and rest the lip on a container that's just the right size. Next I use a green scrub pad to GENTLY sand off the remaining glue. If you're not careful, it'll become cloudy. Finally I use crazy glue to stick it to the new backing board.

Still trying to get my stuff together to make a walk thru on how I do my figures.

#10 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

Is that the same stuff as Goo Gone? I've used that stuff with great results.

#11 CargoBay 13

CargoBay 13

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE(FHC @ Aug 19 2008, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that the same stuff as Goo Gone? I've used that stuff with great results.

After sanding I just use soap and water. I tried Goo Gone (yellow liquid, right?) and never really had good results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users