• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#81 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:39 PM

They are moving it to thursdays... which I take as a good sign.

Opposite CBS Thursday Night Football.  :lol:

Yes, that's a better slot for fans of the show.

#82 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:18 PM

What night isn't there some game on??!!

#83 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:28 AM

I wonder if CBS/the Discovery team are looking at The Orville and how Star Trek fans are reacting to it and thinking... shit, what do we do now?

I still don't think The Orville will go past a first season, if it does, it may be joining Discovery on a streaming service but I think what it has done is perhaps opened some eyes as to what Star Trek fans really wanted out of Star Trek from when Enterprise was cancelled.

I think it's a slight possibility in the "oh shit, we totally blew the aesthetic and optimistic outlook" categories, but I don't think it's quite at the level of "oh shit, we totally screwed the pooch with our fanbase" just yet. Now if DSC premieres and people gripe about it more than they already have and start citing The Orville's generally optimistic outlook, episodic structure, and overall aesthetic as postives to DSC's "negatives" than yeah, CBS is going to probably be twisting their balls into a pretzel. I wouldn't worry unless you start to consistently see "The Orville did X right while DSC botched it" as a recurring theme combined with low viwership for DSC. If that happens then yeah, expect CBS to be scrambling.

I also think your dead wrong about The Orville moving anywhere off of FOX or not getting a second season. I wouldn'tbe surprised if this series gets a relatively early renewal either, it's doing well in spite of critics bitching about it, which is generally a very good sign, I can easily see this going for more than one season on Network TV.

Naw... I don't think Discovery has anything to worry about from The Orville. They really are two different things.... but I would think fans of Sci-Fi in general can find something to like about it.

I'd be curious  to know what the per episode budget for ea came out to be... I suspect the Orville was cheaper to make based on what we've seen thus far.

While I agree that their different things, I think The Orville currently looks closer to TNG–VGR in terms of its optimistic tone and general aesthetic, while DSC at least looks less optimistic from what we've seen so far, and has a darker/grittier tone than even past Trek had. (I don't want to say it's more or less "serious," just more cynnical/pessimistic based on what we've seen so far.) I could easily see The Orville picking off would–be DSC viewers who aren't happy with the direction of the show, especially those who are willing to put up with commericals, and not willing to pay $6–9 to watch DSC. I really think it's going to come down to how DSC performs, and whether or not it feels like Trek or like something different with Trek's name slapped on it.

I would almost guarantee that The Orville is the less expensive of the two shows too, but what's impressive is what it's doing on a lower budget, especially with practical models mixed with CGI, which not even DSC is attempting.

The great thing about the transporters seems to be the idea that Humans don't have it... and there are species that are technologically superior to them... so they can't use technology to solve all their problems... in fact this weeks main problem was resolved with diplomacy and a rather low tech solution.

This is actually something that I really liked about this episode; it forced the humans to actually have to think there way out of a problem. Actually, this is on my laundry list of gripes with ENT; the show gave the humans all the tech they needed whenever they needed it. No photon torpedoes? Go create some because we need them, even though they aren't supposed to exist until after the Romulan War. Transporter only meant for cargo? Approve it for "Bio–material" and then start using it regularly instead of in dire circumstances. At least The Orville can't use this technology on a regular basis, which should keep things interesting. One other thing I'll note is that the antagonists this week kind of reminded me of what the whole "villanous Ferengi" concept could have looked like if it had been played with a bit more instead of being abandonded early on.

Spoiler

They are moving it to thursdays... which I take as a good sign.

I noticed that too, and honestly just think it's trying to stick The Orville where it makes the most sense in their line–up. Sunday has been pretty good for ratings in recent years, but with all of the half hour comedies, it makes more sense for FOX to keep them together and stick The Orville along with Ghosted, which is also supposedly an hour long "comedy." I see what they're doing, and it definitely makes sense.

Oh, and this last episode was directed by Robert Duncan McNeil, with next week's episode being directed by Brannon Braga, so I suspect we'll see the quality of this series maintained. The episode airing on October 5th will be directed by Johnathan Frakes, so I'm pretty optimistic about the future of The Orville.

#84 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:21 AM

Something The Orville has done thus far is leave hooks in its episodes to make you want to come back. This is different then just wrapping everything up nice and neat and basically saying "good night folks see you next week"... and I think its a smart way to do episodes these days. 

#85 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:48 AM

Episode two was another enjoyable episode. I love the comedy mixed in with character and world building. The ship is a great design inside and out. I'm not sure why but I really like the spiral staircase inside the ship. Lol.

#86 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:04 AM

Dang. I forgot Ep 3 was airing last night :-( 

Well... Looks like I can watch them on Sling when they post it... maybe a week later?

#87 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

Dang. I forgot Ep 3 was airing last night :-( 

Well... Looks like I can watch them on Sling when they post it... maybe a week later?

I've been using the Fox app to stream them. It's Halloween season here so I'm never at home on Thursday nights.

#88 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

I finally saw episode 3. That would've been a fairly deep episode even for TNG. I'm pretty impressed with the amount of thoughtful storytelling they put into a comedy in that episode and even more impressed it actually worked as a comedy. Discovery is going to have a big uphill battle to come out as the more cerebral and more sci-fi series of the two.

#89 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

I think the critics just don't "Get" this show. But luckily that won't matter. If people like it it'll run.

#90 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

Wow, that was a solid episode. 

I really hope this show continues in the direction its going. 

Really don't understand why reviewers said this episode crashed and burned, idiots. Exactly why I don't bother with, or care about any critic. 

#91 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

there are a few movie critics I like... I don't always agree with them but I enjoy there take... but TV critics... not so much.

#92 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:03 AM

Episode 3 was solid. thoroughly enjoyable!

One thing I've noticed... and I think its a good change... with shows like TNG and VOY, they always had an engine undertone... humming along band dialog... which admittedly I always found a bit odd... I get that you hear that on a ship... but normally not a space ship... I noticed they choose not to add such effects to the Orville, to me thats a plus. 

#93 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

This show reminds me of when I revisited an episode of the Land of the Lost TV show a year or so back.

It looked terrible. Everything about it was cheap, from the sets and wardrobe to the VFX and cinematography. What held up was the writing. For a kids' show there was some really heady sci-fi in this episode. It had the benefit of using the same contributors from Star Trek but the production budget was much lower than the material deserved.

Flash forward to The Orville and it's pretty similar, except the lame aesthetic is intentional and I think it will suffer for it. Forced dick jokes are bad enough. (I don't find the series funny at all.) Getting the audience to appreciate a show that's supposed to look like Star Trek circa 1987 seems like a bad decision.

Which is a shame because The Orville has already tackled one pretty controversial issue in a way Star Trek used to. It's TNG for nostalgic Gen X'ers and Millennials who still like fart jokes.

#94 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:03 AM

yeah... fart jokes are good!

#95 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:17 AM

Have they resorted to fart jokes yet? 

Penis jokes for sure, but I can't recall any fart jokes. 

#96 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

I don't think so... I was just confirming MisterPL's hypothesis -  "It's TNG for nostalgic Gen X'ers and Millennials who still like fart jokes."

#97 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

Moclans only urinate once a year probably followed by a thunderous fart.

#98 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:31 PM

aaaaaahh! there it is!

#99 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

Minus the sophomoric humor, this looks like MacFarlane's unofficial attempt at an 8th season of TNG.

It's exactly what I didn't want Discovery to look like; a slavish throwback pandering to purists. There's an uncanny attention to detail when if comes to duplicating everything from the musical cues to Brent Spiner's voice. There's a lot of love for the source material and to call it inspired would be a masterpiece of understatement.

It just makes me cringe though, like The Brady Bunch Movie. It was too authentic.

#100 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:26 PM

20170928_211808.png

Wow I thought there was some beauty under those ridges. I really enjoyed tonights episode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users