• Please log in to reply
410 replies to this topic

#61 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

it was so amazingly refreshing to finally see something that portrays a future that isn't dystopian.

Agreed!

I'm willing to see where it goes... but gonna watch it again on amazon tonight.

#62 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

I watched this for the third time, this time without commercials and gotta say the pacing is much better. I love it. I loved Galaxy Quest also so I hope this show is a success. For some reason or other I'd totally love to see Tim Allen get a role on this show as a Khan-like nemesis! Gotta say I'd love to get a DST Orville Light and sounds ship and some Minimates and maybe some Funko Pops and figures!

#63 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

Well.. you can buy a patch!

714dbak4lrL._SL1010_.jpg

#64 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

Gotta say I'd love to get a DST Orville Light and sounds ship and some Minimates and maybe some Funko Pops and figures!

If DST offers Minimates from The Orville... <_<

It'd be like going after the license for Spaceballs when they already have Star Wars but just can't figure out how to make it work.

#65 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

Someone needs to make a model of the Orville, preferably with lights. 

I don't much care who. 

#66 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

I really don't see the Orville as a Spaceballs or even Galaxy Quest type satire.... just based on the 1st episode... but that wasn't satire at all.  

I actually like the look of the ship... and the bridge... the simplicity is a bit refreshing and what I'd expect from something more modern. 

#67 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Feel'in like "hugg'in the donkey"??!!  :roflmao:

I'm still chuckling at that, as it just might have been the funniest line of the episode, and The Orville definitely knows how to use its one–liners to its advantage.

Critic reviews are bullshit anyways.

Theyre just opinion pieces, and cant really give you a good answer as to whether something is good or not.

This can't be overstate enough. Also, critics are always overly, pardon the unintended pun, "critical" of Seth MacFarlane's work anyway, so I tend to ignore them until after seeing what he's done this time around. So far I'm really liking The Orville, and I admittedly didn't know what to expect from it.

It was so amazingly refreshing to finally see something that portrays a future that isn't dystopian.

This really kind of negates the need for me to write about 90% of what I was going to post. The Orville isn't Trek, it's not meant to be Trek, but the best way I can put it is that I've got a tin of food labeled The Orville, and it really tastes a lot like Trek with its own unique flavor thrown in. What worries me is that I also have a tin labeled Star Trek: Discovery, and it tells me that I'm eating Trek, and maybe if I have more than just a taste on my fingers I'll realize that I am, but so far the little taste I've had seems more like New Coke. The Orville feels like a true utopian Sci–Fi series with a good bit of comedy thrown in for obvious reasons, but that bit of inspirational utopian Sci–Fi is something I've been after since around the time VGR went off the air in 2001. I'm still looking forward to DSC, but I'm worried that it won't be utopian Sci–Fi in the vein of previous Trek, while The Orville seems to have nailed that concept rather well.

Oh, and the idea that this is a new genre seems fairly accurate to me. I like it, I don't want to describe it by that cringe–inducing term "Dramedy," because it doesn't seem truly fitting for this series, but it's something different. Sci–Fi with a distinct flavor of comedy, not Trek, but definitely not Family Guy in space either, something new and unique, something that's still finding it's footing, but that shows quite a bit of promise. I'm also digging the mixture of practical models and CGI.

#68 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:15 AM

Trek is supposed to represent Idealized humans, while the aliens are used to reflect our true flaws or make a statement to our nature. 

Don't see the Orville trying to do that. Basically its a utopian view, but with peoples flaws right out in the open. Its like a group of people I work with... everyone may be capable, but heck they have their issues and quirks... and people work through them for the greater good.... I think thats what the Orville is trying to show us.

For example... the Navigator asking if he can drink soda on the bridge while on duty... this is exactly the kind of thing I've heard people ask at work... and the response was perfect!

To me its kinda the original difference between DC and Marvel. In the beginning DC super heroes were always perfect... then along came Marvel and showed that they were people too. We have gotten shades of this in Trek over the years, but it hasn't been its main focus. 

#69 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

Just watched it on iTunes without commercials, and enjoyed it more. 

I've decided if I like the next episode, then I'll commit to buying the season pass so I don't have to deal with them anymore. 

#70 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:04 AM

I wonder if CBS/the Discovery team are looking at The Orville and how Star Trek fans are reacting to it and thinking... shit, what do we do now?

I still don't think The Orville will go past a first season, if it does, it may be joining Discovery on a streaming service but I think what it has done is perhaps opened some eyes as to what Star Trek fans really wanted out of Star Trek from when Enterprise was cancelled.

#71 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:39 AM

Naw... I don't think Discovery has anything to worry about from The Orville. They really are two different things.... but I would think fans of Sci-Fi in general can find something to like about it.

I'd be curious  to know what the per episode budget for ea came out to be... I suspect the Orville was cheaper to make based on what we've seen thus far.

#72 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

I don't think Discovery has anything to worry about from The Orville. 

While it seems some Star Trek fans loved it, there are also some that didn't. 

#73 richpit

richpit

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek toys, Star Trek props, Star Trek stuff in general!

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

I loved The Orville.  I watched the premiere episode twice and loved it both times.  I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.  Stupid football may postpone it. 

I don't think it has anything to do with Discovery, nor will it be competition for it.  They are totally different things. 

#74 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

I loved The Orville.  I watched the premiere episode twice and loved it both times.  I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.  Stupid football may postpone it. 

I don't think it has anything to do with Discovery, nor will it be competition for it.  They are totally different things. 

Thanks for reminding me, forgot it was Sunday. 

#75 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:49 PM

That was a much better episode.

The humor landed a lot more with me than last weeks, and hope it stays closer to this gong forward.

#76 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:27 AM

Yes it was. I like MacFarlane, however, his acting chops have never been his strongest point... he may be the week link in the cast. Still that was a solid episode... its def a drama with a bit of deadpan type humor. 

Spoiler

#77 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Definitely no synthehol on The Orville. 

At least we know they DO have replicators now, and that transporter technology exists in this universe. 

I decided to buy the season pass. After dealing with football delays, and commercials, I decided I'm done again with broadcast TV.

Also, how about that intro sequence? It was awesome, with some beautiful shots. 

Really hope Discovery gives us some good visuals to go along with the new theme music. 

#78 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:52 AM

Stupid football may postpone it.

By almost an hour. This is why I don't like Fox so I switched over to the Emmys. I may catch the second episode later if I make time.

#79 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:58 AM

At least we know they DO have replicators now, and that transporter technology exists in this universe. 

The great thing about the transporters seems to be the idea that Humans don't have it... and there are species that are technologically superior to them... so they can't use technology to solve all their problems... in fact this weeks main problem was resolved with diplomacy and a rather low tech solution. 

#80 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

By almost an hour. This is why I don't like Fox so I switched over to the Emmys. I may catch the second episode later if I make time.

They are moving it to thursdays... which I take as a good sign.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users