• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#321 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:42 AM

Devolving? So we should go back to how we were in the 60s and before with racism and sexism everywhere? Where equality barely existed?

Weve gotten better as times gone on, not worse. Just because tv shows are less censored now doesnt mean our civilization is devolving.

What a joke.

But you go ahead and think you know more than a legit psychological study. That makes sense.

#322 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:48 AM

Don't listen to the voices Alteran!

#323 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:49 AM

I'd have more luck with a brick wall. 

#324 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'm sure Eeyore thinks the Hundred Acre Wood is dystopian, too.

Nothing is ever good enough for poor old Eeyore!

#325 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Those words have already changed in meaning over the centuries so perhaps VF, in the future, people wont care about words like fuck and shit as much as we take them as mildly offensive today. Fuck Yeah!

Our society is not devolving. There are clear problems but we are learning, slowly, but learning nevertheless. Society and as a result Star Trek has and is clearly changing in a way you (and Im sure others) are threatened by. Youre scared. You wont accept change, you havent accepted change and unless you do or unless you are forced to accept a new status quo, I doubt very much youll change at all and thats sad because change is an essential part of life.

#326 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

Well.... if your a fan of Devo... then your a Fan of Devolution!

#327 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

Ok guys...

I think Ash Tyler is Voq...

Discuss

#328 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

Ok guys...

I think Ash Tyler is Voq...

Discuss

Said that a page or so back in spoiler tags.

Definitely think he is based on the actor playing VoQ not existing.

#329 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

tumblr_mpx0501ANl1rhbebyo4_250.gif

#330 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

It'll be interesting to see if Lorca has his number... in other words... is Lorca playing the player?!!

Knowing you have a spy or double agent in your mix could be useful... and Lorca seems like the type of leader that knows how to recognize and use it.... but maybe he's not half as smart as he thinks he his too?!!

#331 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

#332 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

That just shows that Discovery, as per charter development, isn't that out of step with TNG Trek. 

My two biggest issues of the show continue to be The whole intergalactic Spore Network and the reimagined Klingons. this critic sums up the bigger of the two issue to me....

[The Spore Drive is] not just an incredible idea, it's a completely non-credible idea. But now it's canon in the Star Trek Universe, which is a shame for those of us who prefer a credible science base in our science fiction.

#333 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

The Klingons wont bother me if it turns out that Ash Tyler is in fact VoQ.

If that were the case then these guys are really doing their homework into Star Trek lore both canon and non canon because I believe FASA explain that he Klingons have the tech to turn themselves into humans genetically as explained in TOS the trouble with tribble and infiltrate the federation and romulan empire as spys. That would also tie into Enterprise and the Klingon empire experimenting with augmentation.

#334 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

The ships bother me. Why couldnt the D7 look like a D7 and why do they look too much like JJ Abrams ships and not TOS era ships

#335 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:55 PM

They dont really look like JJ ships either.

JJ ships have pretty distinct nacelles, and the ships in Discovery look like their own thing. Even fitting between the look of Enterprise and TMP.

Ive said before that TOS is the oddball out when it comes to Aesthetic.

We never got a real good look at the D7, and the ship they showed was a prison ship so it may not have even been the same one.

#336 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

My two biggest issues of the show continue to be The whole intergalactic Spore Network and the reimagined Klingons. this critic sums up the bigger of the two issue to me....

Well... JJ already added Red Matter to canon, and not just the alternate timeline, since Spock brings it back from Prime.

Yep.  It's all just fantasy in space now.  And yes, there is a difference between a whale probe that technically couldn't transmit sound through space but still could have some reasonable sciencey explanation dreamt up to compensate -- and a total cop-out like 'Red Matter' and 'Space Spore Root System'.

#337 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:01 PM

Its not the worst thing Trek has done, and isnt terribly unbelievable.

Subspace has an infinite number of domains. Geordi La Forge compared it with "... a huge honeycomb with an infinite number of cells." (TNG: "Schisms")

#338 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:34 AM

The Klingons wont bother me if it turns out that Ash Tyler is in fact VoQ.

I thought of that... and yes... I agree... if he turns out to be a "Augmented" Klingon, then I'll shrug it it off.

Well... JJ already added Red Matter to canon, and not just the alternate timeline, since Spock brings it back from Prime.

Yep.  It's all just fantasy in space now.  And yes, there is a difference between a whale probe that technically couldn't transmit sound through space but still could have some reasonable sciencey explanation dreamt up to compensate -- and a total cop-out like 'Red Matter' and 'Space Spore Root System'.

Ah now... Don't get me going on the JJ Verse... The whole "red matter" mcguffin pissed me off too.

Its not the worst thing Trek has done, and isnt terribly unbelievable.

Subspace has an infinite number of domains. Geordi La Forge compared it with "... a huge honeycomb with an infinite number of cells." (TNG: "Schisms")

Well... maybe... its one thing to write something that may or may not be plausible... only to find out years later, due to new science discovery, that its completely implausible, but in both the spore drive and the red matter case... we pretty much know these things are impossible. 

Actually the way I think folks originally thought and described how warp drives work has been pretty much debunked these days... so they *could* have tried to amend Warping with something like.. closer to what we do know... but I get that its meant to be a mcguffin to move the plot along. 

Still, I'm liking the overall theme, the writing and... the character development is coming along... This doesn't have anything close to the feel of STID to me which, for me is the one JJ Verse Movie that is a complete abomination.

#339 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:40 PM

Another good episode, definitely feels like it’s getting better with each one.

#340 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:57 AM

Has anyone watched After Trek from last night's episode? It could be my imagination but during the breaks when they showed "Fan Art".....there are the Discovery crew members in the scene with backs turned, why do those look like action figures????

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users