• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#441 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Yep, prices are honestly terrible over here now (being completely honest). £70-80 for the Excelsior really isn't/wasn't (need to check again soon) on.

There are several solutions to the problem:

Spoiler

:)

I feel the janeway method would involve some sort of time travel

#442 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Haha love the Janeway Method...but it would be more like the B'Elanna method, she always came up with the random stuff on the spot...like the Skeletal Lock for the transporter...

#443 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

Not sure if I was supposed to see the hidden solutions to the problem, but since a couple were directed at DST:

Picard Countermeasure: We don't attend any UK Trek conventions. As a US company, we simply don't have it in our budget, and I don't think our UK distributor will be attending, either. If a UK retailer wanted to contact us about getting an exclusive to bring to the show, maybe that could happen, but they'd need to work that out far in advance.

Sisko Defense: If we have any left after the show, obviously we'd put them up on the Website and make them available for sale, but choosing a single person here to contact and offer a ship to seems arbitrary. No offense to people here.

For what it's worth, nobody has directly contacted us about this matter at all.

#444 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

So Zach,you're saying if I contact you directly and ask incredibly nicely you'd have plenty of exclusives to go around? Or you'd do something about how you sell them? Or you'd save me one or three for when I get to the booth first thing Thursday morning? LOL! I don't have Preview Night or I'd come and buy them all and sell them to everyone here and whoever else wants one,at cost of course,plus shipping. I'm not a scalper and like to help out fellow collectors whenever I can. I also sometimes e-mail various vendors that I know have stuff I want and ask them incredibly nicely if they can bring this or that to the con so I can buy it,which they usually do. Even though I'm not a completist,I do like to see a paint job on my action figures or ships before I buy'em,and therefore not that into just ordering it online,even if I do it a lot since living over here and collecting is just bollocks. lol! Also to make sure an item isn't broken of course. Relax,I won't go into the whole Enterprise D thing again,probably said enough about it even if it STILL annoys me. lol

Yeah,very few US companies do cons in the UK or Europe,guess it's not cost effective. Funnily enough,plenty of UK companies do cons in the US,lol! Eaglemoss do it all the time,Titan do it,SFX magazine,Panini....which is Italian by the way,but they have a lot of fun stuff in the UK as well....,even a crummy little thing like the Who Shop in London does Comic Con. Guess it's cheaper for them to go to the US than it is for the US'ers to come over here,lol! But since I love to travel I don't really care where they are. I'm there,if I wanna check'em out.

And I think I've said my bit on how you could give more people a chance to get these exclusives. In my head it seems so simple,and I would totally do that if it was my booth,but there might be some logistics I'm not aware of. Are there,Zach?

J-R!

#445 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:33 AM

Sorry, should've been a bit more clear. Picard one is closest to my stance - the serious one, the rest are jokey but character-accurate. :)

Regards your Picard response, I'm surprised Forbidden Planet haven't done anything like that, as they're very fond of ordering some in from America, and boosting the price up by around 80% in the process. In other words, the ships are selling. :/

Just a bit of fun though. A more realistic prospect might be some of the members arranging with other members to get them one...

#446 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:04 AM

Ooooh JK,are you hinting at summat here!? lol! One of my suggestions WAS actually to do like MattyCollector,a pre-order for the con item which can ONLY be picked up at the con,and that I would pick up for whomever pre-ordered but couldn't make it to the con. One of MANY suggestions,lol! Still hate exclusives,but I don't mind buying for others,funnily enough. lol!

John-Robin!

#447 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

Yeah,very few US companies do cons in the UK or Europe,guess it's not cost effective. Funnily enough,plenty of UK companies do cons in the US,lol! Eaglemoss do it all the time,Titan do it,SFX magazine,Panini....which is Italian by the way,but they have a lot of fun stuff in the UK as well....,even a crummy little thing like the Who Shop in London does Comic Con. Guess it's cheaper for them to go to the US than it is for the US'ers to come over here,lol! But since I love to travel I don't really care where they are. I'm there,if I wanna check'em out

I don't know how airfare compares when bought in the UK vs. in the US (I have to imagine it's the same, barring any taxes), or what the comparative rate for hotels is for London vs. San Diego, but I don't think it's cheaper for UK companies to come to the US, just more necessary.

If I'm a US company, and I sell in the US AND in the UK, I'll do more US shows, because the US is a much bigger part of my audience -- unless they're licensing somethign that is more widely known in the UK (unlikely). And if a show has to be cut, it's probably the one that costs the most to attend (with flights and freight), and reaches the smallest percentage of our audience, even if the attendance is comparable (100K for London Comic-Con, 130K for SDCC).

BUT if I'm a UK company, and I sell in both countries, I imagine the US is a pretty sizable percentage of my market, depending on the license. Titan magazines are on almost every bookstore newsstand in the US, and Eaglemoss probably has a massive US subscriber base.

Now, if we were looking to increase sales in the UK, attending UK shows might be the way to do it, but it could also probably be done through other means: advertising, promotions, etc.

A more realistic prospect might be some of the members arranging with other members to get them one...

Normally, I would say this, but I have not seen a lot of responses from people who are attending. (Besides robster.)

#448 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

Ok,see your point Zach. And yeah,the audience IS bigger in the US for most things,unless it's a UK show like Who or any Gerry Anderson thing like the new Thunderbirds or whatever. But it would've been nice to see some of the US companies/vendors at UK cons as well,like Midtown Comics and a few others who did a con not long ago.

OH,and I meant if I contact DST and ask nicely,not you directly,lol! GEE,you'd be swamped with requests I bet. So it seems I'm the only one in here going to Comic Con? You guys are really missing out on some great fun y'know!

J-R!

#449 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

There is a deal on not mint U.S.S. Excelsiors for $37.49 today over on Entertainment Earth.

http://www.entertain...74#.U9jrdvldWYk

#450 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 01:11 PM

It looks like the ST:3 Excelsior has been delayed until the end of December. Amazon is showing a Dec 31st ship date :(

#451 Zodou

Zodou

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

I recently busted out my Excelsior and have been having a ball playing with it! Doing so convinced me to pick up the NX-Excelsior; probably my favorite version of the ship. Lovin' DST!

#452 joemolis

joemolis

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

When you say "pick up" the NX do you mean pre-order or do you have one?

#453 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

Sorry for the delay on the NX, I'm not sure why it was held up. It should be heading our way soon.

#454 Zodou

Zodou

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

When you say "pick up" the NX do you mean pre-order or do you have one?

I don't have one. Sorry, I meant - 'Aquire'. :)

#455 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:52 PM

Video of the NX-2000:

#456 CaptSpry

CaptSpry

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

That is AWESOME!  I have been waiting and waiting on this.  I did not get the STVI version because I loved the NX since I first saw it in the theatres... its an amazing ship.  I CAN'T WAIT!    I am probably in the minority, but I love how the nacelles are black and do not light up...I think it's perfect!

#457 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

That is AWESOME!  I have been waiting and waiting on this.  I did not get the STVI version because I loved the NX since I first saw it in the theatres... its an amazing ship.  I CAN'T WAIT!    I am probably in the minority, but I love how the nacelles are black and do not light up...I think it's perfect!

I'm with you CaptSpry..... Love the painted, nonlit warp grills.... I have been waiting for this one for a while also!!

#458 Zodou

Zodou

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

I too am glad the warp engines aren't lit. I love the attention to detail, looks like the real deal. Funny, the saucer in the video looks as though it's pitched up, could just be the lighting. And yeah, I know it's only a prototype.

#459 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

Yeah that's gorgeous. :)

#460 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:29 PM

I also like how the nacelles do not light up.  It seems that feature was added when they built a new Excelsior model for Voyager's "Flashback" episode, which then went on to represent other ships on DS9.  Then this model must have been the one used to create the CG version for the Dominion War and a few appearances in VOY.

320x240.jpg

Does anyone else feel as though the newer model featured a "slimmer" secondary hull?  I always felt that the original (seen in these 2 pics) had a somewhat fuller shape.

tuchd2495.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users