• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#461 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

That's one thing I really want to see, MU Disco doing whatever she's doing in the Prime universe. 

#462 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:35 AM

Remember how it seemed kind of likely that Discovery would be destroyed, explaining several things such as why the spore drive is never heard of again?

Well now I have adapted that.  I believe it might get stuck in the MU and/or destroyed there, but, they will manage to get a message through to the prime universe that gives them what they need to win the war.  The message at this point looks like it would obviously go from one Stamets to another.

#463 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Its also possible the Stamets will find a way to get the ships back to their proper universes using the spore drive, but the result is the destruction of the network. 

#464 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:52 PM

Or that its use is just determined to be unreliable or impractable... you know... cause you're gonna get stranded in some crazy alternate universe! 

#465 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:19 AM

I dont know if theyll strand the Discovery crew in the MU but they might have to abandon the ship... loosing all the technology with it.

Could they make their escape using the USS Defiant? It would be a one way trip back and the MU Defiant would obviously have to get destroyed too, but it could last long enough to get at least the characters that are staying on for season 2, back into the Prime Timeline.

#466 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:21 AM

Whatever happens, theres got to be some sort of pay off for the audience to want to stick around for season 2. Its perhaps too early in Discoverys run to do a Best of Both Worlds cliffhanger because no ones really invested in these characters yet, after only 15 episodes. So the finale has to keep us wanting more but also be a satisfying ending to this season.

#467 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

I'm invested in the characters, I think the only person I'm not invested in is Saru. 

If they kill off Lorca, or do something that removes him from the rest of the series I'll be incredibly disappointed. He is easily my favorite character on the show. 

#468 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:44 AM

Yeah... I agree about Lorca, for me, he's actually been one of the few characters that has consistency. I think Burhnam  has been all over the map... logical.. yet illogical... book smart but street dumb... to me her "say do" is unreliable. Lorca seems to hit a pretty good "say do"... and that consistency and reliability *should* be a hallmark of a starfleet officer.

#469 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

We discovered MU Lorca was a fugitive.  Where better for a fugitive to run to, than to another universe -- the prime one, perhaps?  How would he get there?  Spore drive?  Discovered/pioneered by MU Stamets?  So perhaps, he has been impersonating prime universe Lorca all along -- who knows where Lorca Prime might be, if even still alive.  Perhaps fugitive MU Lorca needed to get Stamets Prime to (re)develop the spore drive for him so he could go back home when he had completed his mission.  Perhaps his mission was to bring back Voq, who perhaps he has known all along was Tyler (would explain why he was so quick to promote him).  He wants the same knowledge Burnham wants -- how to make peace with the Klingons or unite or divide their houses -- so he can do the opposite, or do it for nefarious reasons, in his own MU.  Perhaps to present Voq to the Emperor, or simply to redeem himself, or to get close enough to ambush and take over the empire...  Perhaps to intensify the war against the Rebels, or win it, or switch sides in it.  The reason could be whatever you dream up for his psyche but the cogs are all starting to add up.  And it would also give us the satisfying answer to: why is a Starfleet captain in the prime universe such a jerk?

#470 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

why is a Starfleet captain in the prime universe such a jerk?

You mean like Jellico? 

I'd much prefer to keep Lorca Prime Lorca than give an excuse for him being kind of a jerk is because he is from the MU. Especially since we've seen captains like him before in past series. 

#471 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

we've seen captains like [Lorca] before in past series. 

Exactly. Jellico isn't a just some 1 off. In fact Jellico may even be preferred to likes of Pressman, Doughetry, Jameson, Leyton, or Cartwright... and all those made it to Admiral! 

#472 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:30 PM

For me having a damaged Starfleet captain is way more interesting than just having Lorca being from the MU. 

#473 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

One of the better themes I thinnk we're seeing in DISCO... and this is shades of DS9, is everyone has their baggage... thats what made Sisko in DS9 so interesting... and one of my fav Captains. 

#474 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:48 PM

Cisco in DS9 so interesting...

My god, man!

#475 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:18 PM

Sorry. Love me some Avery Brooks! Gotta admit... they did give him baggage... but hey DS9 wasn't for everyone... and certainly isn't w/o its faults... but all the shows have some issues...  I get that. 

#476 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:27 PM

I don't know if I'd call it baggage as much as making the characters more human/realistic. No one is perfect, even in a utopia like future. 

Its the same thing they've done with Discovery. 

#477 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:21 PM

On that we can agree! 

#478 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Sisko Cisco

Fixed That For You

Well, I didn't intend to start a debate over what kind of captain we want Lorca to be, because all that matters in the end is what kind of captain the production staff wrote him to be...  so that's what I theorize about.

I can hear where you guys are coming from but I think he's done a few things already that are far too jerky to be acceptable behavior.  I'd have to go back and rewatch to put together a list though.  I just remember feeling on more than one occasion that the line had been crossed for me.

Discovery always leaves me with a lot of questions that make me think they aren't thinking this stuff through very well in the writer's room.  Why is there always only 1 of these non-chief-medical-officer doctors in sickbay?  Why is it always Culber?  Why isn't he just the chief MO?  Why are there never any other patients in sickbay?  Why would there not be some common sense or known protocol going on that would have told Culber, hey, maybe I should alert other people to my findings before I confront someone who appears to be a genetically modified enemy of the Federation about it to their face with my neck right there in grabbing range?  That last one is the most recent one I've been getting angry over.  On TNG I am pretty sure Crusher would tell this to Picard, at least, if not every other senior officer, before they then decided together how to approach it.

#479 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

Sisko Cisco

Fixed That For You

Ha.. yeah.. sorry... i typed it in something else and it auto corrected and I never looked back! 

Discovery always leaves me with a lot of questions that make me think they aren't thinking this stuff through very well in the writer's room. 

I agree with you... on pretty much all your follow up points too! Plus... on After Trek one of those hacks says something like "The Klingons have a well established history and procedure of modifying themselves to be Human." ... I disagree! No they don't! In TOS there was only 1 case where one tried to pass him self off as human and he was identified with Tric Easily! ENT only provided the Genetic augmentation as backstory to why Klingons look different in TOS... but their intent was to make Super Klingons! If the writers wanted us to really believe Klingons can be passed off as Humans... they could have just used the cannon to their advantage and built of the augments. Plus... the core concept they write in DISCO is purity of being Klingon and then they do all types of stuff to make themselves anything but Klingon?

Its like 1701D said a page back or so...

[Discovery]  thinks its cleverer than it really is.

#480 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:47 AM

I was just reading some theory about how Discovery is linked to Sec 31... Lorca, and perhaps others are actually Sec 31... and that Basically the show is about Buhrnams recruitment into Sec 31. 

We did see the black badges in Episode 3, but haven't seen anything since... also, as theorized DISCO is NCC-1031, and the theory is the 1031 isn't coincidence. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users