Making Voyager heads

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:23 AM

I opened a new topic based on this idea from Tiberius

I was thinking of something, but I can not do it all myself, oh and I am in canada...
Check my website, http://tiberiusguy.s..._head_tutorial/ I did a Mego Klingon head to DST scale.
If I used a Playmates head, I have started a Guinan head, but need more moulding material, for each of the missing Voyager/DSN figures, I might be able to shrink some heads.
I could send the Hydrospan cast to someone that might be able to remould (I could do it too, but that is more material), and have it recast into a new head. That person, or someone else could paint them and send them off to everyone that wants one.

Right now I am using Alumilite for the casts, and you might notice the bubbles in the recast. The Hydrospan is not making excessive bubbles, so I need a new casting material (I have heard of Smooth On, but have not been successful in finding it locally) for the final cast. I might be able to acquire this, but I need some funds.
The moulding material has to be done twice, once for the original, once for the reduced (I think I paid $40 for three good moulds). I have the Hydrospan to reduce the heads (I paid 30 dollars for it, good for a bunch of reudctions), I think it can do several casts. If I get a better casting material, I will be able to send out casts of the heads. Otherwise I need to send out the new moulds to someone that can recast and paint the heads. My downfall might be in the painting, especially the eyes!
If someone would like to help me in my endeavour, I would be grateful. Perhaps someone (else) might be interested in doing some body sculpts, as not everyone would be able to customize as much as "we" can.
JMW, or James. Sorry if I hijacked your thread, but it has been inspired by this one.
And the first Need is to have someone "donate" the PM head, as I only have some smaller scale figures. If you lend them to me, I am sure they will be fine; unless the grey head syndrome makes a move! NO Guarantees!

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:28 AM

I am very interested in this idea because I mainly want the heads for the Expanded Universe Voyager figs where I will just use the FC uniform style. I would very much enjoy the shot at trying to obtain even unpainted voyager heads in the correct scale!

#3 WORF22

WORF22

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

that sounds good. I am working on a Tuvok head to go with the blt head I got from I think husk. lets start on a game plan..

#4 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

Verry intrested in it, but not sure how many heads I can help you with. I do have a 9" seven though, but I'm also a customiser novice sad.gif

Ooh and I live in the Netherlands

#5 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:53 PM

Are you looking for the 9" versions or the 4.5" ones?

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

I went to ebay looking for some cheap Playmates Voyager figures to buy for this project of ours and was very shocked to see that among the main characters there really are no cheap figures. Between Janeway, B'llana, the Dr, and Tuvok the are going from $15 to $45 each. Really? wow.
DST I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS. YOU ARE MISSING OUT BIG TIME. DONT WORRY ABOUT RETAILER PREORDERS. MAKE THESE FOR YOUR OWN SALES. IF YOU TAKE A CHANCE YOU COULD REALLY CLEAN UP. THERE IS A DEMAND.
Ok, Now to get down from my soapbox. There is a toyshow coming in a couple of months and I am going to dig through the loose figure bins and see what I can come up with for us.

#7 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

I think I would prefer to shrink down the larger heads though. There is more detail on them, and my material that increases them tends to have more bubbles.
B'lana would have to be done the other way, which I have product for as well.
I guess I better get the mould making this week.

#8 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:29 AM

I am down for anything I can help with! Would love a DST scale Quark and Garak!

#9 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

For Quark I might be able to help I do have a 12"Model building of him (which is verry detailed) As well as an 4,5 "version. (and a jem hadar 9"whichj might be nice)
Just don't have the goods to make molds yet! But deafenalty in to help!

P.S. Can someone tell me which figures we are missing as they seem to pop up every now and then on local ebay like sites where I copuld buy them relatively cheap)

#10 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (data_2006 @ Feb 1 2010, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For Quark I might be able to help I do have a 12"Model building of him (which is verry detailed) As well as an 4,5 "version. (and a jem hadar 9"whichj might be nice)
Just don't have the goods to make molds yet! But deafenalty in to help!

P.S. Can someone tell me which figures we are missing as they seem to pop up every now and then on local ebay like sites where I copuld buy them relatively cheap)

For DS9 it would mostly be Garak and, like you said, Quark and a Jem Hadar. I think the 12

#11 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Also, I have a lot of the 4.5" Playmates - not too many of the larger size (I think just Odo & Kira). Let me know who you're looking for and I'll see if I have them. I have the Garak.

#12 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:04 AM

OK, since I started this...

Here is the deal, I am busy with "customizing" my actual vehicle, I need to repair an accident that I got into. I am thinking I should send pics of the "custom", or is it "kit bash", since I am using one to make another...
I get paid on Valentines weekend, I will get the moulding silicone for the initial mould, I have the shrinking hydrospan/hydroshrink to make a 9" into a 7", or such, per my website info. I could make the smaller mould, I will have enough for about three sets of heads... The problem is, my casting material seems to make a lot of bubbles (alumilite), if someone has a better resin, I would gladly send it to them.

I would like to start with Tuvok or Janeway, I could personally use his head on a WOK body for a cross over version. If someone will send a Tuvok/Janeway head to me(or a cast/mould of it), I am in Canada! I will cast it with Hydroshrink. From there, I can either recast the smaller head and send the mould to someone with a better resin, or let someone recast the "shrinking head". As my tutorial states, I dont have the best resin to make a head, but I am sure the Hydroshrink is amazing. I am not great at painting either.

So, WE need a provider of heads, the 9" should be easy to remove and replace.
I will mould the larger head, cast it in Hydroshrink/ Hydrospan 400, and <either> send it to someone <or> recast it in the smaller scale. I would like someone to recast the 7" scale head, from the cast or the mould. I would like someone to paint it, for me and others that might not be paint savvy.

What would be the costing issues, for shipping, the casting, the painting, the materials... ?
I don't want to do this for free, but if I get a good cast from it, I dont want to pay for my materials... any suggestions? Hopefully we are looking at a March Launch of Voyager figures!

#13 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:52 AM

well, I would certainly like to get a Janeway, and I love your idea of a TWOK cross over Tuvok.

I don't know that I would have time to paint these for everyone, but I would certainly be willing to give a go at painting a couple for you in exchange for maybe a Janeway head?

The biggest detail in painting any head are always doing the eyes, which I can get... but can take time as they are frustrating.

obviously the casting material costs more then paint, so if you had an idea on how much each would cost... I could throw some extra cash your way too...

LMK what your thinking.

#14 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

My attempts at casting were pretty much failures. I would be interested in providing heads and possibly maybe painting a few heads. My problem is I wont have significant time to paint until June.

#15 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

I never casted anything, na dmy painting is not to write hoem about, I do have some heads than can be used as molds and more than willing to buy old playmates figures(if needed). As stated before can supply a Seven and Jem hadar hear (playmates) the quark head is more 12"version so would not be suitable 9and I prefer not to ship that one since its more fragile) do have a 4,5"quark that I can ship off.
Beyond that I'm also more than willing to compensate in $$ if needed for good paited voyager heads!

#16 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

I found this guy on ebay http://stores.ebay.c...reheadwantedyou who makes custom heads. He charges 180 for a from scratch head but only 35 for a fully painted one that he has. Maybe if we can guarentee him a certain number of orders he would give us some sort of deal. His stuff looks a lot better in many cases that what we would get from doing it ourselves. $35 each would be an awesome price for me to get the Voyager heads...

#17 Totalus_Kat

Totalus_Kat

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:47 AM

Oh wow some really nice work... think if we pester DST enough they'd hire him? biggrin.gif

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

Also, his stuff is 1/6 scale, so getting it down to the trek 8" scale (which would be some where in between 1/6th and 1/12th scale) might be an issue... but someone should ask.

#19 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

I had an idea for a voyager Janeway head (separate from the idea I had for the one I made LOL). I was looking at the DC Universe Classics Mary Batson figure and noticed that she has all the sharp features that Mulgrew has and bares a slight resemblance to her. The only downfall is the big smile she has.

#20 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:10 PM

I dont think all the stuff is 1/6th because he has a bunch of stuff that fits the wwe heads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users