Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

I think that looks great!

#22 Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:16 AM

That's a great custom JMW! Absolutely great! its too bad DST will never bother churning out a few of these for everyone...

SS

#23 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

Well I am glad that everyone likes it. Now the hard part is going to be trying to find the parts to make more of the crew. LOL.

#24 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:29 PM

I think most of the men are about the same size and theDS9 Bishar/O'Brien body would work nicely... and they are still on clearance at BBTS!

So that would be "The" Dr., Tom, Harry, Tuvok, & Chakotay!

Then you just need to figure out what to do about Tores and hopefully that 7 of 9 might get released some day!

#25 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

The bodies are easy. It is the heads that are the hard part. Most of characters have very distinct features. Although I may have found a head for Chacotay (but that is for another thread).

#26 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jan 21 2010, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those new pics look a lot better JMW. She looks much better without the eyeliner & the hair sits very well now.

I'm trying to think what heads would be best for characters. Roxanne Dawson had very high cheek bones...maybe Crusher or Troi's head.

Not sure if Picard's head could be altered enough to make him look like Robert Picardo.

You could maybe whip up a Neelix using AGT Geordi's body.

#27 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Jan 18 2010, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that a "Generations" Movie Data I see in the back ground?!

I was thinking of doing the same thing to add to my Genertations Riker Head swap (like yours).

I was also thinking of adding a Picard and Geordi to that roll call...

Generations had an odd mix of uniforms on the cast... some had the old TNG style and others had the VOY style. I think in Generations it was just Riker, Picard, Data & Geordi...

#28 spider1981

spider1981

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

I, too am planning on doing a complete custom Voyager crew.
I have a list of the characters heights based on the actors bios.

Belanna 5'5"
Doctor 5'10"
Chakotay 6'
Janeway 5'5"
Paris 6'1"
Kim 5'11"
Neelix 5'6"
Tuvok 6'
7of9 5'8"

since Jonathan Frakes height is 6' I believe, I am using FC Rikers for the Tuvok, Chakotay and Paris bases. I'm using Obrien and Bashir for Kim and Doctor, and parts from FC/Nem Crusher/Troi and Dax for Janeway and BElanna. Haven't decided who to use for Neelix yet, but I like the Geordi suggestion. I'm going to be attempting the headsculpts from scratch!

hope this might be of some help!

#29 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jan 22 2010, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that a "Generations" Movie Data I see in the back ground?!

I was thinking of doing the same thing to add to my Genertations Riker Head swap (like yours).

I was also thinking of adding a Picard and Geordi to that roll call...

Generations had an odd mix of uniforms on the cast... some had the old TNG style and others had the VOY style. I think in Generations it was just Riker, Picard, Data & Geordi...

Why yes it is. You can see him here: http://www.trektoy.c...?showtopic=2956

#30 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

I think she looks amazing James! My only 'complaint' would be the eyes. They look a little blank or soft. I am sure they were tough to do though, so she still looks amazing!

I really wish DST would change their minds about Voyager.

#31 JMW326

JMW326

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:58 AM

I do agree about the eyes. that was the only problem with taking off the eye liner. I may try and do some fine detail work this weekend and add some thinner liner to her to highlight the eyes a little. Maybe add a little color to her cheeks too.
I know it wont happen but I keep hoping we will see something Voyager related at Toyfair next month.

#32 spider1981

spider1981

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 11:14 AM

Forgot to add that I'm going to use a Troi in casual uniform for 7of9's base. I think I'll need to give her longer legs, though.

I agree that the eyes may need a little more contrast to make them pop. (eww, popping eyeballs)

I've come across a few good tutorials on google about figure eye painting techniques, but I don't have my bookmarks at work, and am having trouble finding the sites from here.

I cant wait to see what else you come up with for Voyager!

#33 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

Wow , I thought she looked good before but your work on it now is even better! Ilook farword to seeing the rest of the cast!

#34 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:28 AM

I was thinking of something, but I can not do it all myself, oh and I am in canada...
Check my website, http://tiberiusguy.s..._head_tutorial/ I did a Mego Klingon head to DST scale.
If I used a Playmates head, I have started a Guinan head, but need more moulding material, for each of the missing Voyager/DSN figures, I might be able to shrink some heads.
I could send the Hydrospan cast to someone that might be able to remould (I could do it too, but that is more material), and have it recast into a new head. That person, or someone else could paint them and send them off to everyone that wants one.

Right now I am using Alumilite for the casts, and you might notice the bubbles in the recast. The Hydrospan is not making excessive bubbles, so I need a new casting material (I have heard of Smooth On, but have not been successful in finding it locally) for the final cast. I might be able to acquire this, but I need some funds.
The moulding material has to be done twice, once for the original, once for the reduced (I think I paid $40 for three good moulds). I have the Hydrospan to reduce the heads (I paid 30 dollars for it, good for a bunch of reudctions), I think it can do several casts. If I get a better casting material, I will be able to send out casts of the heads. Otherwise I need to send out the new moulds to someone that can recast and paint the heads. My downfall might be in the painting, especially the eyes!
If someone would like to help me in my endeavour, I would be grateful. Perhaps someone (else) might be interested in doing some body sculpts, as not everyone would be able to customize as much as "we" can.
JMW, or James. Sorry if I hijacked your thread, but it has been inspired by this one.
And the first Need is to have someone "donate" the PM head, as I only have some smaller scale figures. If you lend them to me, I am sure they will be fine; unless the grey head syndrome makes a move! NO Guarantees!

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (spider1981 @ Jan 22 2010, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I, too am planning on doing a complete custom Voyager crew.
I have a list of the characters heights based on the actors bios.

Belanna 5'5"
Doctor 5'10"
Chakotay 6'
Janeway 5'5"
Paris 6'1"
Kim 5'11"
Neelix 5'6"
Tuvok 6'
7of9 5'8"

since Jonathan Frakes height is 6' I believe, I am using FC Rikers for the Tuvok, Chakotay and Paris bases. I'm using Obrien and Bashir for Kim and Doctor, and parts from FC/Nem Crusher/Troi and Dax for Janeway and BElanna. Haven't decided who to use for Neelix yet, but I like the Geordi suggestion. I'm going to be attempting the headsculpts from scratch!

Unfortunately, I think DSTs scale is really messed up. I think these are technically supposed to be 8" scale, which means that an 8" figure should normalize to 6', thus each 1 1/3 inch should scale to a foot. When I put a DS9 Worf next to a DS9 O'Brien, I think the worf scales to tower a close foot over O'Brien! There really should only be a bit under a 1/2 inch difference in the scale from The Dr. to Paris...Though a big part of the discrepancy could be Worf huge head, so maybe it's closer then I think!

#36 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Jan 23 2010, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of something, but I can not do it all myself, oh and I am in canada...
Check my website, http://tiberiusguy.s..._head_tutorial/ I did a Mego Klingon head to DST scale.
If I used a Playmates head, I have started a Guinan head, but need more moulding material, for each of the missing Voyager/DSN figures, I might be able to shrink some heads.
I could send the Hydrospan cast to someone that might be able to remould (I could do it too, but that is more material), and have it recast into a new head. That person, or someone else could paint them and send them off to everyone that wants one.

Right now I am using Alumilite for the casts, and you might notice the bubbles in the recast. The Hydrospan is not making excessive bubbles, so I need a new casting material (I have heard of Smooth On, but have not been successful in finding it locally) for the final cast. I might be able to acquire this, but I need some funds.
The moulding material has to be done twice, once for the original, once for the reduced (I think I paid $40 for three good moulds). I have the Hydrospan to reduce the heads (I paid 30 dollars for it, good for a bunch of reudctions), I think it can do several casts. If I get a better casting material, I will be able to send out casts of the heads. Otherwise I need to send out the new moulds to someone that can recast and paint the heads. My downfall might be in the painting, especially the eyes!
If someone would like to help me in my endeavour, I would be grateful. Perhaps someone (else) might be interested in doing some body sculpts, as not everyone would be able to customize as much as "we" can.
JMW, or James. Sorry if I hijacked your thread, but it has been inspired by this one.
And the first Need is to have someone "donate" the PM head, as I only have some smaller scale figures. If you lend them to me, I am sure they will be fine; unless the grey head syndrome makes a move! NO Guarantees!

I opened a new thread with this idea here: http://www.trektoy.c...?showtopic=3578

#37 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:10 PM

WOW that's amazing work smile.gif

#38 holoscotty

holoscotty

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:11 AM

Here is my own humble attempt at a DST Janeway. I recently bought a Riker-Troi 2 pack on ebay for $18. THe plan was to make a Captain Calhoun with the Riker, and Janeway from the Troi. Because of Troi's hair, I went with the first season "Bun of Steel" Janeway. I think she turned out pretty decent, but would love to hear comments. (Sorry the bun pic is fuzzy). Also, at the bottom was the reason for the customs, so I could have a "Captains Table" collection. Seeing them all together, it's funny (and sad) to see how inconsistent DST has been with these figures. I think I am going to get a new Picard for the collection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users