26 replies to this topic

#1 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hey all,

I've updated my photobucket with new pics of Colonel Kira, Lt. Ro Laren, an all new wip Kai Winn, and the first Ferengi in Starfleet, Nog. The recipes for Kira and Winn are in my previous thread. Lt. Ro is a simple head swap using Jadzia as the base with the Ensign Ro head.

As mentioned in a different thread, Nog is a Playmates First Contact LaForge figure with a Playmates Ferengi head - this wasn't my recipe, so thanks to whomever came up with it! I sculpted the hat that Nog wears out of Sculpey and also the little zipper that comes up on the yellow part of his shirt.

Nog was an absolute pain! The head came out pretty easily (just boiled and popped), but getting the head to fit into LaForge's neck hole (yikes - weird sentence) was torture. I wound up cutting the peg down a bit to make it smaller - I also had to carve out the Sculpey a bit so that it would fit LaForge's collar better. As it is, the head is attached mighty precariously and the slightest wind makes it fall clean off.

That was another problem I had - I must've had to much to drink that night because the head was on the floor more often than it was in my hands while I was painting it. Overall though, I really like the Nog custom

#2 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:43 AM

Hey Andy,

That Nog turned out great. I'm going to have to try that myself at some point. And of course the other ones are excellent too.

Keep up the good work,
Matty-lad

#3 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:19 AM

Who's doing the pole dancing!!

#4 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:24 AM

They all look fantastic! Nog turned out really good. Did you have to enlarge/scale up the head or is that how it came? Kira looks sweet too!

#5 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (FHC @ Jun 9 2009, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who's doing the pole dancing!!

Hmm - that would be Hurley. It's a little disgusting at first, but it's really quite hypnotic... biggrin.gif

#6 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ Jun 9 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They all look fantastic! Nog turned out really good. Did you have to enlarge/scale up the head or is that how it came? Kira looks sweet too!

Hey DS9_Fan - The Nog custom is as is - I didn't scale the head up, but I think it looks okay. I believe Iron-Cow is scaling his up so I can't wait to see what his looks like!

TY,
Andy

#7 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

They all look incredible! I was skeptical about the Nog when I read about what was going in to making him, but he looks terrific!

#8 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

Do you reckon the Nemesis Geordi would provide a good base for Nog? I have all the bits required to do either (PM FC Geordi, PM Ferengi and DST Nem Geordi) I fancy having a go.

#9 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

if you used the geordi body, i dont think the head would be scaled right.

#10 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ Jun 9 2009, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you reckon the Nemesis Geordi would provide a good base for Nog? I have all the bits required to do either (PM FC Geordi, PM Ferengi and DST Nem Geordi) I fancy having a go.

Hey DS9_Fan - It might work if the head was a little bit bigger, but I think it would throw the scale off as Nog is much smaller than the rest of the cast. I was watching the episode where Nog and Jake get rescued by Red Squad the other day and Nog only comes up to Jake's chest: http://ds9.trekcore....valiant_401.jpg

That said, maybe give it a go - just boil and pop the LaForge and PM Ferengi heads off and see what it looks like.

#11 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:46 PM

Wow, that Kira looks perfect! I want one!

#12 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

paper moon has a few better shots. i think is nearly perfect. NEM geordi would be way too big.

#13 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, I watched Favour the Bold/Sacrifice of Angels today when Nog gets his promotion to Ensign, he's pretty Tiny! Think I'll stick with the Playmates recipe, it works really well!

#14 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

Andy, those turned out GREAT!

Nog is soooo much fun! Yeah - I'm scaling up some Ferengi parts, but I'm not sure if they'll be an improvement over what you've got here. I'll post pics whenever they're ready, though.

I am loving the Kira, Ro, and Kai Winn! Sooooo nice! Kai Winn is the one character I've never liked from the show, but man that's a nice custom. Really captured the likeness!

Keep 'em coming!

Matt
aka Iron-Cow

#15 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:33 PM

I

#16 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (reverie @ Jun 9 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They all look incredible! I was skeptical about the Nog when I read about what was going in to making him, but he looks terrific!

Hey Reverie (are you the same Reverie from the custom Lost board?) - Yeah, I was pretty skeptical too - especially considering how small the PM body looks next to the DST figures. I forgot how small Nog was always shown to be in the show - I mean he's really small... so I think its actually a nice little custom. I was going to try to close the mouth w/ Sculpey - Nog always had a bit of a pout (i'm sure it was the teeth pushing his lips forward), but thought against it - I do think I'd do a good job.

TY,
Andy

#17 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jun 9 2009, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you used the geordi body, i dont think the head would be scaled right.

I agree HSBR - maybe if there was a smaller version of the DST figures...

On a side note, I tried to re-sculpt the gray part of the uniform so that i more closely resembled the DST figures and gave up pretty quick! There is a lot of small lines in the shoulder area - something I never really picked up on!

TY,
Andy

#18 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Nigel @ Jun 9 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, that Kira looks perfect! I want one!

So give it a go Nigel! It really wasn't hard at all - I think the worst part was sanding down the shoulders to get rid of the black lines, and sculpting the Bajoran combadge! I swear, I probably did about 50 versions of it before I finally did one that was half way decent!

TY,
Andy

#19 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Iron-Cow @ Jun 9 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kai Winn is the one character I've never liked from the show,

But... that makes Kai Winn sad, my child. biggrin.gif

I always loved Winn - she was such a great villan! I loved whenever Kira and Winn had a scene together because it always felt like Kira was one second away from tearing Winn to pieces. There was one moment, I forget what episode, where Kira brings Winn to Sisko's office and no one is saying anything and Winn turns to Kira and says "You may go, my child." - the look on Kira's face was priceless!

If there are any Winn fans on here, I made a little poster that is similar to the Obama poster - I'll include it in my next photobucket update!

TY,
Andy

#20 Malcolm Orr

Malcolm Orr

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:10 PM

They look great - all three! Kira is particularly well done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users