Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hey there,

Here are some links to my WIP Colonel Kira and completed Kai Winn figure:

http://s49.photobuck...nt=100E0180.jpg

I think you can view all of them from that link. Let me know what you think. The base for both figures is the same: AGT Crusher for the torso (for the Winn head too) and Troi for the legs.

Thanks,
Andy

#2 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

excellent jon on Kai! The Kira looks very promising as well!

#3 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Thanks HSBR! I plan on doing Winn over again - I didn't do too good a job on sanding down the AGT parts so they show through (especially on the shoulders and on the white tunic). Kira should be done soon - I'm thinking of redoing the piping that runs from her shoulders down to her wait as it looks a bit too big, but I'm not sure... I'll post more pics as things develop.

#4 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

what is that brown material you are working with?

#5 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Mar 10 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what is that brown material you are working with?

It's Sculpey - I've heard some complaints about it, that it gets brittle etc., but I haven't run into that problem yet. It's very easy to work with, and instead of baking it in the oven, I put it in front of a portable heater - that way the figure doesn't melt.

#6 Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

Two words, A mazing!

Keep up the good work!

SS

#7 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

Thanks SS! Here's hoping that this is just a temporary solution and DST releases a Bajoran uniform Kira before too long... smile.gif

#8 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

Wowsers! Thats some funky stuff. Nice work Andy.

*sigh* I'd love a Kai Winn figure.

#9 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Artistix @ Mar 12 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wowsers! Thats some funky stuff. Nice work Andy.

*sigh* I'd love a Kai Winn figure.

Thanks for the kind words Artistix - Winn wasn't too hard to do, the toughest part was the robes (and I didn't do that great a job with them). I plan on re-doing her at some point - hopefully to fix the problems (the hat is the incorrect shape, the robes don't really look like real robes etc.).

I've updated the photobucket with some up close pics of Winn and 99.5% completed Kira - I just have to do up a comm badge and rank pip and hit her up with a dull coat or something (is this the same as matte? this is what I picked up). Originally I wanted to spray paint the whole thing, but it didn't really work out - the paint wasn't drying and it was the wrong color anyway. I almost gave up on the whole thing because the paint was so tough to remove. Ah well, I'll know better next time. Here's the updated link:

http://s49.photobuck...nt=100E0193.jpg

Let me know what you think.

TY - Andy

#10 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:20 AM

Kira is just awesome. See how easy it could be DST! Really some excellent work there Andy. I like Winn too.

#11 Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

Nice work on the kira, she looks great... lets hope for an official one to join the ranks some day...

SS

#12 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Scarlet Spider @ Mar 28 2009, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice work on the kira, she looks great... lets hope for an official one to join the ranks some day...

SS

Thanks SS! Coming from you, that's a compliment - I think you do great work!

I was thinking about it the other day, and I don't think we're going to be getting any more DS9 figures past the ones that have already been announced - and I heard that the Sisko/Dukat was canned - so I was thinking about customizing Quark (at least). I've read about that product that shrinks castings and was thinking that the Quark model that Ertl (I think) would be the obvious choice. I have zero experience with casting (and in making customs actually), but I figured I would maybe give it a go. Has anyone used this product? Does the size get smaller proportionally, or can you dictate how it shrinks? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy

#13 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

Its called hydrospan and I think hydro shrink. They both work on time and you just recast at the right size you want.

#14 Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Andy @ Mar 29 2009, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks SS! Coming from you, that's a compliment - I think you do great work!

Thanks Andy I appreciate the compliment! smile.gif

Good luck with the Quark, I will eagerly wait by my computer monitor to see the results!

SS

#15 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

What size is the Quark? 12"?
You might have to cast more then once with the hydroshrink. If you use 2:1 of the product, it might work in one. I used a 1:1 to shrink a Mego head, but it did end up a bit small for my DST figure. I have to try again.
You will need to make a mould of the figure/parts, mix the hydroshrink with enough to do it all (so you get uniform shrinkage). Pour into moulds and wait a few days for it to reach the desired size. make a new mould of the smaller part(s) and cast with resin.
It seems to work well, and you will probably enjoy the results from it.

#16 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Mar 30 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its called hydrospan and I think hydro shrink. They both work on time and you just recast at the right size you want.

Thanks for the tip HSBR - I went and researched it, and it is way (way, way, Way!) beyond my skill set! Would anyone else be interested in a Quark head? Maybe we can commission someone to make a sculpt using the hydroshrink... What do you all think?

#17 Andy

Andy

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Tiberius @ Apr 1 2009, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What size is the Quark? 12"?
You might have to cast more then once with the hydroshrink. If you use 2:1 of the product, it might work in one. I used a 1:1 to shrink a Mego head, but it did end up a bit small for my DST figure. I have to try again.
You will need to make a mould of the figure/parts, mix the hydroshrink with enough to do it all (so you get uniform shrinkage). Pour into moulds and wait a few days for it to reach the desired size. make a new mould of the smaller part(s) and cast with resin.
It seems to work well, and you will probably enjoy the results from it.

Hey Tiberius - thanks for the info! I believe Quark is 12" - for those who haven't seen it, here is a link:

http://www.theclubho.../spockquark.jpg

In looking at the process, I think it is way beyond me! Too many steps, and the cost is prohibitive. Do you have any pics of the customs you

#18 Iron-Cow

Iron-Cow

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Andy @ Apr 1 2009, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In looking at the process, I think it is way beyond me! Too many steps, and the cost is prohibitive. Do you have any pics of the customs you

#19 Quadrotritacale

Quadrotritacale

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:14 AM

I love that old Kira uniform and the way you've sculpted it. I wish the producers of DS9 never put her in a Starfleet uniform...that way we could have got a figure like this from DST. sad.gif

#20 sallah

sallah

Herbert.

• Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

Man that Kira rocks! Nice work!

Sallah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users