• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:20 AM

I'd say I'm one of few people who is still collecting 90's Playmates Star Trek figures.

Every few years I post my 'missing' list on Playtrek & generally find someone who is wanting to part with a some things.

This year I found Chris on Playtrek who had a few items I was after:

Including: 9" 'Crazy Hair' Beverly Crusher, 9" Brown attire Seven of Nine, 9" City on the Edge of Forever Kirk & Spock, 9" Piece of the Action Kirk & Spock, 4.75" Transporter Series Uhura, 4.75" Amok Time Kirk/Spock set, ToyFare Exclusive 4.75" Tapestry Picard in green science uniform & 4.75" Piece of the Action Kirk

Haven't opened them yet. Will do so tomorrow.

I do have 9" Beverly & brown Seven, but I used my original brown Seven for a custom & I've always wanted one of these infamous 'crazy hair' Crusher figures! I had thought the crazy hair Crushers had really long hair, but it seems to be the same length as the later versions, simply without the clear plastic band.

I've got some customs coming to me (at some point soon hopefully)including 4.75" Season 1 Troi & Riker, 9" Insurrection civillian Beverly & a 12" movie dress uniform Beverly. When I receive these I will take some new group pics for my Star Trek page (link below) which is in serious need of some updates, including the lot I got last year:

Still need to get the DS9 Orinoco Shuttlecraft. That will be my next hunt.

Anyways, I got all nostalgic & took some pics of my Playmates Next Generation figures! biggrin.gif

Bedroom display:

I do love my DST TNG's too.

#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Nice collection. I love the comparison of the Playmates and DST TNG crew. And I'm still with you collecting 90's Playmates figures. Good luck with the Orinoco runabout.

#3 jlp1701

jlp1701

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:46 AM

Nice collection indeed. I

#4 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:56 AM

I got my Runabout on ebay last year.

There's one in the US listings for $35.96 buy it now.

http://www.ebay.com/...1...es&_sacat=0

#5 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:40 PM

Thanks for the links to the Runabout auctions. I'll be checking them out.

QUOTE (jlp1701 @ Sep 20 2012, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I

#6 Tomparis

Tomparis

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:10 AM

Im actively collecting playmates on an every weekend basis. I just got the klingon bird of prey and borg sphere a few days ago. Around here and most places I would assume its whats readily available.

I too am after a runabout. I have a guy local who has one and the engineering playset and Im trying to work him over to get him to sell it to me lol. Nearly all the playmates ships I have I got from him for pretty much giveaway prices, he even had the rare voyager, DS9, and enterprise-b ships and I guess hes done with playmates stuff because he sold them to me for nothing. so I should get the runabout and engineering set cheap once I break him lmao.

I really need to get pictures of my collection on here. I have them on my facebook though. I broke the 250 figure milestone the other day and I have 255 figures now. Its mostly playmates, with some art asylum, DST, and appluase pvc figures.

#7 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Sorry to dig this topic up but I'd through I'd comment.
I started collecting Playmates about 5 months ago and its been great fun. So far I've got all but one of the shuttles (ironically the Orinoco like you), 153 figures (including doubles for customs etc.) and have got most of the main characters I've been after. Also I've managed to pick up some rare figures (at least in my country) like cobalt blue Seven of Nine, Piece Of The Action Kirk, Trails and tribulations O'Brien, Flashback Janeway, Harry Kim and a few others. A few things of note about them is that after all these years there still fine. I open the figures I get and so far the only problem is a dodgy arm on a lose Seska figure from a comic book store. For a bunch of figures that have mostly been open for at least ten years it really shows that they where made to last. Just like the saying goes, they don't make them like they used to.
And one last thing, does anybody else cut them damn beams of the phasers? They always come bent or distorted to make any good use out of them, unless your shooting around corners of firing backwards.

#8 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

I used to collect Playmates, but then I ran out of ones to collect. I'm always looking though. smile.gif

#9 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

I am still to this day putting together my playmates collection, I missed A LOT of it when i was younger and been focussed on the AA/DST stuff lately...but from time to time i still look to add playmates stuff i am missing. I just started pulling it all out of boxes to start displaying it all again and noticed a lot of them have started yellowing on the bubbles or with my 9" figures the clear windo has started yellowing, that urks me cuz now i gotta replace all that stuff ugh!

#10 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

I'm right there with you guys. I have most of the original 4" line and I think I've gotten all of the 6" line. But I have none of the 9" ones at all. And I still have a ton of ships, role play, and innerspace pieces to get.

#11 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

Hey all,

Well for me, I was lucky enough to pick up most of the Playmates stuff when it came out. Living in the UK, it was difficult to get some of the rarer, exclusives etc but luckily i had an excellent local comic shop that helped to get most of it. To this day, all I'm missing is the 1701 Picard, Use, Tri Fold Borg (all of which i can do without because they are duplicates) and my holy frail, the Vulcan Leader statue..... One day.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#12 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Yeah, I have a lot of the 4.5" figures. Still missing a few, but every once in a while I pick up one I don't have. I do have a lot of doubles for my custom work.
As for the ships & vehicles, I only have the TNG shuttle, the TOS shuttle and the Enterprise D. I'm not really into collecting those. I even sold my TNG transporter room 2 years ago, because I had no use for it. Still got the bridge though.

My figures are mostly in great condition, so yes, they were definitely made to last. I've noticed that a few loose figures I bought for customizing had changed colour somewhat. For example I bought some loose TOS figures, and the colour of the arms of the blue and yellow uniforms had turned darker and dirtier (can't really explain it in a better way).

#13 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Well, after another buying spree I

#14 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:21 AM

Got a few more Klingon's and another Esoqq. I've also noticed that prices, or at least interest, has gone up a bit recently in my country, mainly due to the (in my opinion) resurgence of interest in TNG and less so DS9 because of there prime time screening on the Sci Fi channel every day. Just like TOS, with age and reshowing it just gets more popular.

#15 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

I just sold all of my Playmates two years ago.  That bridge playset was fantastic.

#16 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

And one last thing, does anybody else cut them damn beams of the phasers? They always come bent or distorted to make any good use out of them, unless your shooting around corners of firing backwards.

I cut the phaser beams off about half of my phasers. I didn't like the beams much when I was young. Took me years to realise I could just snip them off!

#17 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

I cut the phaser beams off about half of my phasers. I didn't like the beams much when I was young. Took me years to realise I could just snip them off!

I always keep them, if their bent though I will just slice them of. Also, if I get a bent phaser with any of the S1/S2 figures, I trim the nose of the phaser to make the "dust buster" phaser.

#18 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:36 AM

I'm down to 54 left now to collect after getting some ones I’ve been after for a while, like Barclay, Kruge, and Environmental Suit Kirk, as well as some rare ones, Tom Riker and TNG Sisko.

I've noticed more and more that every time I buy a double for custom fodder, their different in some fashion, particularly TWOK Kirk.

Fifty shades of Brown Toupees, it seems.

In addition, it seems I won a light shaded Tunic Ambassador Spock for £0.99p a while back, I wondered why the seller the collector had bought him off had resealed the figure.

#19 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Nice one!  I just scored Kruge and Barclay as well!  Crossroads of time Sisko - good luck mate - they pop up on ebay now and again.  Chances are you and I will be bidding for the same figure.  I've been after that one for ages!

And are there two versions of ambassador Spock?  With different coloured outfits?

#20 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Nice one!  I just scored Kruge and Barclay as well!  Crossroads of time Sisko - good luck mate - they pop up on ebay now and again.  Chances are you and I will be bidding for the same figure.  I've been after that one for ages!

And are there two versions of ambassador Spock?  With different coloured outfits?

Have a look at this, about halfway down:

http://www.trektoy.c...pic=4510&page=2

Sorry if I sound confusing, but I meant I have Tom Riker and Sisko. I found them (along with Kirk, Barclay, and Kruge) in a lot of 40 figures on eBay, I didn’t see them till I had a second look amidst the carnage of Yellow, Red and Blue uniformed figures. I, like you, had been after him for awhile, I didn’t think I would ever get him. Its such great fun looking for them, and I kind of dread the day when I run out of them to buy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users