Photo

VOY Figures More or Less of a possiblility now?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Possible? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Possible?

1. More of a Chance (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Less of a Chance (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. About the Same Chance (20 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Scarlet Spider

Scarlet Spider

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:37 AM

QUOTE (knightone @ Feb 20 2009, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They'd need a new torso sculpt to do an Admiral Janeway from Nemesis since the Admiral's jacket is different from a standard duty jacket.

Oh yes, that is quite true, I would imagine that it wouldn't be hard to modify an existing mould though...

SS

#62 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Feb 19 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think all the male characters from Voyager could use the Sisko body.

Maybe...

What's for certain is that DST needed a chart like this BEFORE they started making the line. In this way you could plan out the scale.

For example, If the line is a an 8" max line, then you need to find your tallest character and scale him/her to be exactly 8" per the scale.

For the above scale this means that 1in in plastic would translate to about 9.375 in of actor/actress.

So only Riker & Worf would be at the full 8" height.

73 in = 7.87 in

while 70 in = 7.47 in

So you would have just short of 1/2 an in difference between Garret Wang and Avery Brooks.

Each inch difference between actors is roughly a 0.1 inch delta, so a single inch really probably doesn't matter, but if you scale it down, I think a 1/4 or 1/3 inch increments would give a nice line. So just to save a bit of cash, lets say we go every 1/3 of an inch...

That means for the men there should be about 5 different basic bodies. 2 of them would really be for Burton & Shimmerman alone... but Picardo would be at the shorter end of the remaining three, and McNeil would be it the top end, and you'd probably want to split it down the middle somewhere to where that cut is made in the change.

It also really shows that Farrell should probably have had her own body as well.

If DST had stuck with a 6" scale, then differences would have been less.

#63 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

I think this chart also shows why everything was screwed up when the Picard body came out being so big....basically threw sclae right out the window with series 2. My other favorite comparison is that Burton a half inch smaller that McFadden. Go look at your figures and see if thats true! At this point my opinion is to use the sisko body for the men (it looks like a good torso scuplt) and to use the Dax S3 torso for the women and scuplt a new pair of legs that arent so tall. Bam! Voyager released with only one new leg scuplt and all new heads! I really would have a big objection because it bascially fits right in to the size chart.

#64 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Feb 21 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At this point my opinion is to use the sisko body for the men (it looks like a good torso scuplt) and to use the Dax S3 torso for the women and scuplt a new pair of legs that arent so tall. Bam!

Agreed.

New set of legs for the ladies DST folk. Pretty please. smile.gif

Would Neelix look too big with the AGT Geordi body as a base?

Wait a minute, did we already notice Ethan Phillips & Jennifer Lein are not on the Trek height chart?? Neither is Majel!

#65 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:45 PM

knightone-- Wasn't the "Admiral's jacket" very similar to Picard's "Command Vest" from First Contact? This seems like it could be a well-done variant for something like SDCC.

To me, a VOY line would look like this:

Single-Figure Version:
1. Janeway
2. Chakotay
3. The EMH
4. Harry Kim
5. Tom Paris
6. B'lanna Torres
7. Tuvok

This method leaves room for a Neelix/Kes exclusive, a "Janeway + Command Bench" figure (we're going to have Sisko + Defiant Captain's chair--Janeway deserves a seat,) which would be more accurate as a Janeway/Chakotay command bench figure (see below for more on that idea,) as well as variants such as the ECH, Admiral Janeway, and Captain Kim from "Endgame." Add one more figure to that line, maybe a seven of 9 variant, and you have eight figures which is enough for a VOY Wave 1 and Wave 2, or a VOY wave of eight figures per case. Either way, it's enough to satisfy fans and still turn a profit for AA/DST.

If AA/DST thinks two-packs would be more profitable, than perhaps, they'd like the idea I propose below--the name says it all...

"Attack of the 'Two-Pack'" version:
1. Janeway/Chakotay "Two-pack" w/Command Bench (Janeway didn't have a "chair," and this would give us all five captains + their command seat.)
2. Tom Paris/Harry Kim
3. B'lanna Torres/Seska
4. The EMH/Kes
5. Tuvok/Neelix
6. *Optional* 7 of 9 variant/Borg Queen (Exclusive?)
The "two-pack" line covers everyone except seven (already done,) and pulls off Kes and Seska. Thrown in the aformentioned 7 of 9 variant and you get a Borg Queen. This leaves room for an Admiral Janeway variant, a Seska in Cardassian uniform variant, an ECH variant, and plenty more variants that AA/DST can milk to death. It's certainly "logical" from the standpoint that if the first five two-packs sell really well, there are more figures that can be made, and if they don't sell as well as AA/DST was hoping, the fans will still be happy and any profit loss will be minimal. Likewise, the Janeway/Chakotay pack eliminates the need to buy a second Janeway/Chakotay figure to get the command seat that was used on Voyager.

There are plenty of ways for AA/DST to do a profitable Voyager line, there are plenty of ways for us to get Janeway with a seat, just as we have Archer, Kirk, Picard, and will soon have Sisko with his command seat. There are plenty of ways to get the "bridge crew" and maybe even a few "villians" thrown in, and there are plenty of fans willing to buy these figures. Look at the Playmates Figures on eBay that are selling right now--it's not TOS, or TNG, or even DS9--it's Voyager because those are the only Voyager figures in existence. Playmates is going to have TOS covered come May, and Paramount would essentially be competing with itself if they're having AA/DST do TOS figures while Playmates is doing TOS-era figures from the new movie at the exact same time. If AA/DST is releasing VOY era figures, they'll have a much better chance of getting my money than if they just release another Kirk variant. Oh and before I forget, 2000 more Picards and/or Siskos would be just as bad. I want to see figures that we haven't seen done by AA/DST before. I realize variants can help fund those, and in moderation they're fun, but I have a Kirk figure...and a Kirk figure... and a Kirk figure... and Spock figure...and a Mirror Universe Kirk figure. wink.gif I think you see my point.

#66 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

The Admirals jacket is the same style as Admiral Ross's from DS9 only a female version....it would have to look something like this for Janeway:

It would require an all new torso because the females dont have the zipper down the front for the gold piping and obviosly the "dress" overhang and belt are absent as well. We also never got a full look at Janeway because she was sitting behind the desk but one could assume its the standard uniform based on what we saw of female admirals in DS9

#67 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

I think DST needs to get Voyager out and here is an idea to do it. Pair up characters from TOS, yes TOS. Make some two packs with a TOS guy and a Voyager guy or girl. I always hear TOS sells best well put your money where your mouth is DST. Make each pack specific to those characters like,

Famous Engineers - Scotty and Torres
Vulcan Logic - Spock and Tuvok
Pilot Magic - Sulu and Paris
Ensigns Everywhere - Chekov and Kim
Were Doctors...not er em doctors - Bones and The Doctor
I can't think of anything clever here - Uhura and Chakotay

Janeway should be released with her command chair, I think she would be popular enough to be on her own, maybe even the Doctor. But make it so that one can purchase another command chair for Chakotay and have it be able to attach to the other, and Seven, we are getting in a Borg wave. That leaves Neelix and Kes. Kes, I don't know how we will get her (preferably with long hair) maybe is sales are up after the new Trek movie, but Neelix could be released on a Starfleet security body. I would take that if that

#68 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:14 PM

I'm really not trying to be a buzz kill but i honestly think that DST are not going to do any Voyager items. There's just really very very little demand for it and i am guessing even less demand when this movie hits.

Perhaps the ship would sell but figures, i don't think any majority would really want a Neelix figure or a Harry Kim figure, they are just not as iconic as Kirk, Spock, Picard & Data and even Picard and Data are not selling as well - if those characters can't sell then DST would be wasting plastic and money doing Voyager.

there's more chance of DST doing a scale model of the borg cube to the USS Enterprise - D than a Voyager line.

7of9 i think will be it, maybe Janeway as an exclusive figure but other than that...

#69 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Apr 4 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm really not trying to be a buzz kill but i honestly think that DST are not going to do any Voyager items. There's just really very very little demand for it and i am guessing even less demand when this movie hits.

Perhaps the ship would sell but figures, i don't think any majority would really want a Neelix figure or a Harry Kim figure, they are just not as iconic as Kirk, Spock, Picard & Data and even Picard and Data are not selling as well - if those characters can't sell then DST would be wasting plastic and money doing Voyager.

there's more chance of DST doing a scale model of the borg cube to the USS Enterprise - D than a Voyager line.

7of9 i think will be it, maybe Janeway as an exclusive figure but other than that...

Was there demand for DS9 figures? I keep reading online that there is no demand for anything other than TOS and some TNG. Yet, we saw a complete DS9 crew minus Quark. Don't think it will sell? Like I said pack them with TOS characters, force people to buy them. This works, it's one of the smartest things toy makers have done. Mattel DCUC and Hasbro ML did it with the build a figure, and now Hasbro Star Wars is doing it. The people that are hardcore fans will buy the wave and casual fans have the option of picking up the characters they want. Granted, I am not suggesting a BAF idea for Voyager I a talking two packs but by packing them with TOS characters I think you might see more interest.

Hopefully, the new Trek movie does well and garnishes interest in the older shows and collectibles for those shows.

#70 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

Okay with the whole "two-pack them with TOS Figures" idea, I think that is not a good idea AT ALL. I am not a collector who opens up my figures, I keep them on the card, and I just think that would look absolutely retarted with characters from two different series in one two pack, especially if they have NOTHING in common, I mean Kirk and Picard from Generations would work because they were on screen together but to have a TOS character and a Voyager figure together I think would be a lame idea and look retarted.

BUT....if they did MIXED waves, like Playmates did, THEN it would be a good idea to have some VOY figures and some TOS figures and so forth. That is the only way for that to work.

#71 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

I agree. Mixed waves would be good. Mixed two packs would be very odd and, obviously, forcing sales and wouldn't be a good thing at all.

#72 Hirogen

Hirogen

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

Wow..retarded? How old are you? Anyways, I don't see how it will look "retarded". Two different uniforms in one two pack doesn't seem that strange to me. I agree about mixed waves being a good route but I am pretty sure DST said in a Q&A it wasn't something they wanted to do, they like their current formula.

Forcing people to buy items is nothing new. Has anyone collected items from other lines recently? DST is doing it with Stargate, buy a wave or two and get the Stargate itself or some other item. Mattel and Hasbro are doing it with their superhero lines, buy every character in the wave and get a bonus character. Same goes for Star Wars with the build a droid idea. Some of the figures they are packaging the droid pieces with are strange and people may be more willing to buy them to get the piece they need.

This is an idea to get the Voyager figures into the hands of fans and this fan has waited patiently for the past several years to get Voyager figures from AA and now, DST.

#73 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

It's an intriguing theory, but I don't believe it would really work. The most major point is that not everybody likes TOS along with Voyager, so it could actually cause buyers to balk at the thought of ending up with a figure they don't want. As well, the TOS characters have already been done and really require something new in order to make them appealing. Otherwise, your buyer base is limited to those that like both series and either don't already have the TOS figures, or are willing to buy them again. I suppose that could happen with the plastic torsos, but it would still be a limited amount of customers.

For example, I was unable to get the Cyborg Superman during his individual carded release under the DC Superheroes line, however, he has recently been rereleased in a 2-pack with the character Mongul for DC Universe Classics. Enticing, yes, to finally get a figure I've coveted for a great while, but two things are holding me back. 1. The price is higher than it is had I been able to find the individual figure, 2. I already own Mongul and don't need nor want another.

I believe that Voyager figures will eventually find their place in DST's cache, but we must have patience to see if Star Trek as a whole becomes a major public fascination again after the new movie.

#74 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

Hmmmm... in light of some of the Q&A responses, I think I want to change my vote!

#75 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (Hirogen @ Apr 4 2009, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was there demand for DS9 figures? I keep reading online that there is no demand for anything other than TOS and some TNG. Yet, we saw a complete DS9 crew minus Quark. Don't think it will sell? Like I said pack them with TOS characters, force people to buy them. This works, it's one of the smartest things toy makers have done. Mattel DCUC and Hasbro ML did it with the build a figure, and now Hasbro Star Wars is doing it. The people that are hardcore fans will buy the wave and casual fans have the option of picking up the characters they want. Granted, I am not suggesting a BAF idea for Voyager I a talking two packs but by packing them with TOS characters I think you might see more interest.

Hopefully, the new Trek movie does well and garnishes interest in the older shows and collectibles for those shows.

Well lets put it this way, DST's DS9 did terrible even with the hardcore fan-base (if there is one big enough to support anything, im guessing not) I mean even DST's TNG line hasn't done great either, a Voyager line, since that show was even less popular than DS9, would not sell, I think perhaps what would do OK would be the ship and 7of9. I think Janeway is another character that could be done but only as an exclusive at SDCC or something like that, but if people didn't buy Odo or Sisko - i doubt they'd buy Tom Paris, The Doc, Bel'ana Torres or Harry Kim et al...

And i think what the movie might do is rekindle peoples interest in TOS and TNG but the other spin-offs were just too niche and i doubt would interest a large audience for there to be any demand for toys.

I think there came a point where Star Trek ONLY appealed to this small niche hardcore segment of the fan-base - now that seems to have all but diminished to a size where you really can't produce Star Trek the way it had been produced in the 90's - thats why we're getting this movie to build up the profile of the Star Trek brand again. Playmates had a hard time selling their Voyager toys back when it was new! i mean it's been 9 years since Voyager, DST would find it impossible to sell anything from Voyager - I'll even speculate and suggest that 7of9 will not sell as well as DST would like - Star Trek had all but died, i doubt many people even remember Voyager, Deep Space Nine or Enterprise anymore - even the fan-base

As for the mixed 2 packs, i think it would look odd - i mean your dealing with two different scales, Characters that have no relevance to each other apart from being in a Star Trek series and i just think there's not really any kind of structure to it since Janeway never met Kirk? perhaps you could do a 2 pack with Janeway and Sulu but even then i doubt it would be a must have collectable.

#76 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (New Frontier @ Apr 5 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...snip...

That sure was a lot of generalizing about the popularity of DS9 and VOY.
I'm not about to start a big argument and make points such as, all of the series including DS9 and VOY have been on TV again recently and may have new fans that we are completely unaware of. Nor points like, size of fan base of the TV show doesn't necessarily transfer over to proportionally identical toy sales between the series...a lot of complex factors will determine whether people buy toys, and when/which/why.

But the one thing I want to point out for sure is that VOY gained a lot of ground in one segment of the market that Trek never used to do particularly well with.

Women/girls.

VOY struck a chord with them; perhaps because it had so many strong, well-defined female lead characters. TNG and DS9 just didn't achieve that. DS9 came close, but I think Dax was mishandled and largely ignored, and Kira was almost too strong. What's more, while women probably did like Janeway, I can tell you from experience that the ones I know who really dug VOY tended to prefer Torres. But with Janeway, Torres, Seven, Kes, and even Seska and Naomi Wildman, VOY was the first Trek where multi-dimensional female characters equaled or outshone male characters. In fact, I wonder if that couldn't be one of the reasons why so many male Trekkies are quick to spit on VOY...but I digress.

Anyway, unfortunately, I think that women/girls are a relatively small segment of the action figure & collectibles market -- but I could be wrong. If DST is reaching them, then VOY characters might do better with them than any of the other series.

#77 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

^ Well i think that was quite uncalled for really. This isn't meant to be a topic on the popularity of either DS9 or Voyager, we could spend months talking about why DS9 was more popular and still not agree, the fact is, cutting an ever so long and pointless story short - DS9 was more popular than Voyager but both were no where near as popular or as memorable now as TOS and TNG.

DST struggled with TNG even though TNG was one of the most popular 80's TV shows ever, TNG re-launched Star Trek. So for DST to ever do Voyager properly after poor TNG sales, terrible DS9 sales, the chances of a Voyager line, or 2 packs being made, well, I don't think many people even remember Voyager.

#78 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

I'm feeling as though your kinda trying to antagonise us DS9 and Voyager Fans for no apparent reason New Frontier.

You're quite forthright about your TOS is best opinion and thats your right. But by blindly disregarding Voyager and DS9 (if I'm right in my thinking DS9 won the popularity vote in a thread on here a while back) your offending quite a lot of people.

I myself have found that I frequent this place less due to the many negative opinions that are floating around in some of the threads here at the minute. In fact, they're beginning to remind me of the old AA forum, something I thought I would never think about this forum.

#79 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ Apr 5 2009, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm feeling as though your kinda trying to antagonise us DS9 and Voyager Fans for no apparent reason New Frontier.

You're quite forthright about your TOS is best opinion and thats your right. But by blindly disregarding Voyager and DS9 (if I'm right in my thinking DS9 won the popularity vote in a thread on here a while back) your offending quite a lot of people.

I myself have found that I frequent this place less due to the many negative opinions that are floating around in some of the threads here at the minute. In fact, they're beginning to remind me of the old AA forum, something I thought I would never think about this forum.

Ok, well i don't mean to offend anyone but these are just TV shows, lets not take the opinions of others as personal insults, it is common knowledge that Voyager is one of the lesser known, least popular Star Trek shows and the point i was making was that for DST to make Voyager figures, well it's just not going to happen, now i am sorry for that for the people who do want them, but come on, lets be realistic, a lot of people here might like Voyager and Deep Space might be the best Star Trek TV show voted by the vast majority of the 578 members here but lets not forget, millions of people who like Star Trek, i mean the total number of members here hardly adds up to 1% of all the Star Trek fans in the world. It's only fact that DST's TNG, DS9 and AA's Enterprise figures aren't selling - so for DST to produce Voyager figures of all series, well, at the moment and i think in the near and distant future, Voyager figures are not going to happen. The topic posed the question: are Voyager figures more or less of a possibility now? I don't think they have ever been a possibility. Suggesting that i am offending people because of my views on a TV show and that i am somehow antagonizing it's fans, well i think thats just a bit OTT.

FYI, I love DS9, i do actually think it's the best Star Trek series but lets get some perspective on this issue seriously because what I'm seeing is a lot of wishful thinking and fan-dreams that are not going to become true.

#80 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

We're all a bit OFF TOPIC here and need to get back to talking about Voyager figures. If you want to debate the merits of shows, we have threads in Everything else that can deal with that....or open a new thread there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users