Photo

VOY Figures More or Less of a possiblility now?

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

Poll: Possible? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Possible?

1. More of a Chance (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Less of a Chance (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. About the Same Chance (20 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

I just wanted to move this from the Dukat thread because that deserves not to be hijacked.

I look at the creation of a S3 DS9 mold as bring us closer to Voyager figures. Once all the body types are made I think we will see Voy figs in some way shap or form. With just the cost of a new head scuplt I could totally see these as a Convention exclusive ala the TWOK series.

I think we are getting closer...maybe I am just being optimistic. At the very least customizers could expand the playmates heads using the hydrospan method and maybe get the figures out that way.

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

I'm voting about the same... I was sure we'd get the big hitters, 7 of 9, the Dr and Janeway... but I really don't think we will a complete bridge crew or cast.

#3 bolorin

bolorin

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

I am just hoping for a Torres figure and Janeway figure and I will be happy.

#4 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

I definately think we have more of a chance to get at least a couple of the uniformed figures from Voyager now. Whether or not we get more than that will greatly depend on sales just like the rest of them though. DST seems to be getting good results from two packs so I am very hopefull. S3 Siko and Dukat came out of nowhere when no one ever thought we would see a Dukat figure. So the chances are good that more surprises are on the way.

#5 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:26 PM

Since we are getting a 7 of 9 figure, the only other one I really want to see is Janeway. And with some grey hair and the AGT Beverly body we could have an Admiral Janeway from the future.

#6 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Dec 18 2008, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm voting about the same... I was sure we'd get the big hitters, 7 of 9, the Dr and Janeway... but I really don't think we will a complete bridge crew or cast.

Those 3 are the only ones I'd buy, so that'd be perfect for me.

#7 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

I believe Voyager/DS9/Generations figures are quite possible with the Sisko body being used, and here's why:

Well, according to the Trek scale chart that was posted awhile back in the DS9 thread; Avery Brooks is in the near-tallest range, just shorter than Jonathon Frakes and Michael Dorn.

So, I would put them into groups as such: Avery Brooks (73"), Dwight Schultz, Robert Duncan McNeill, Tim Russ and Alexander Siddig (71.75").

Then, give the body slightly shorter legs and arms for: Colm Meany (71"), Brent Spiner, Robert Beltran, Garret Wang, Patrick Stewart and Robert Picardo (69.50"). LeVar Burton is the only who needs a truly unqiue body standing as he's the shortest uniformed male at 67". But, he is not necessary for Voyager figures.

The females are most problematic as they require a completely new body, according to this chart Ferrel was even taller than Ryan. Leaving a Relativity 7 the only potential Voyager use that would look right. A new female body would get quite a bit of use (err... uh...), though. It could be used for Janeway, Torres and Ogawa.

So, if DST played their cards right they could get nearly everybody done with the majority of the cost going towards headsculpts and potentially unique accessories.

#8 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

As we have learned, DST isn't that concerned with the heights of the characters in relation to the figures.

#9 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

They do seem to try at times, however, as they gave Q the body from Riker. De Lancie is a half inch taller than Frakes, so he would have look odd on any other body. "Factory" problems seem to be their primary plight when it comes to height inconsistencies.

#10 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

About the same.

Maybe Neelix and 7 of 9 (Kes??)

Others will be produced out of Data and Crusher bodies.

#11 Hirogen

Hirogen

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Dec 18 2008, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I definately think we have more of a chance to get at least a couple of the uniformed figures from Voyager now. Whether or not we get more than that will greatly depend on sales just like the rest of them though. DST seems to be getting good results from two packs so I am very hopefull. S3 Siko and Dukat came out of nowhere when no one ever thought we would see a Dukat figure. So the chances are good that more surprises are on the way.

Sales is what it comes down to, I truly hope we get a complete Voyager crew, I would purchase every one.

#12 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:49 PM

I agree with the premise of the post that the S4 DS9 figures pave the way for Voyager, but I don't think that it necessarily translates to making them more of a possibility. DST is marching to a plan. They probably always planned to do some Voyager figures. Having the Worf and now Sisko bodies in this uniform style means they will probably at some point in coming months announce the Jazdia S4, giving them a female torso basis for Janeway. I think you'll see a Janeway using the Dax torso and shorter legs like Ezri did, and Doctor using Sisko's body.

If sales of those figures pan out to expectations, you'll probably then see Chakotay using Worf's S4 DS9 body, Harry & Tom use Sisko's, and Torres using Janeway's, and then variants aside (I can see 1 or 2 Janeway variants and possibly an ECH repaint), VOY would be done.

This is all just my speculation, and I AM usually wrong about these things...

Does this increase the possiblity? No... we're likely just seeing the plan unfold.

#13 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

I dunno if they could really use the Worf body for any of the Voyager cast, all of them are significantly shorter than Dorn. As I mentioned before I think they could get away with the Sisko body for the taller of the Voyager cast, and then the Sisko body with slightly shorter arms and legs for the rest of the male cast? At the least though, they could make Riker from Generations and Q from DS9/VOY.

Personally, here's how I would go about getting Voyager and the rest of the DS9 figures out there, with some TNG sprinkled in:

Janeway / Gul Evek (Pilot) 2-pack
Picard / Data (Generations)
Intendent Kira / Gul Garak 2-pack (Limited)
DS9 Series 3: O'Brien (Season 3-4), Jake/Nog, Bajoran Kira, Dukat (Pah-Wraith)
Bashir (Season 3-4) / Data (better quality body) (Emissary) 2-pack
Gul Damar / Garak 2-pack
VOY Series 1: Janeway (different hair), Neelix, Paris (must have a mini Delta Flyer "hologram"), Doctor
Riker / Geordi (Generations)
Harry Kim / Quark (Pilot) 2-pack (Limited)
VOY Series 2: Chakotay, Torres, Kes, Q
Jadzia (Emissary) / Quark (repaint) 2-pack
Alien Attack Series 1: Hirogen, Jem'Hadar, Gul Madred, Romulan (TOS)

Something I just thought of is Neelix could be made from the Odo body, it just depends on which costume he's in that dictates whether or not the skirt and/or arms would need to be modified?

#14 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

Do you mean a Birthright 2 pack for the Bashir/Data Set?

#15 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

Something I just thought of is Neelix could be made from the Odo body, it just depends on which costume he's in that dictates whether or not the skirt and/or arms would need to be modified?

Wouldnt Quark and Neelix be closer to sharing the same body? The were both about the same size and both wore some pretty crazy looking outfits. It seems like Odo would be to tall and not quite plump enough.

#16 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (DS9_Fan @ Dec 19 2008, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you mean a Birthright 2 pack for the Bashir/Data Set?

You're right, for some reason I thought it was during the Enterprise's visit in the pilot that they got buddy-buddy.

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Dec 19 2008, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldnt Quark and Neelix be closer to sharing the same body? The were both about the same size and both wore some pretty crazy looking outfits. It seems like Odo would be to tall and not quite plump enough.

I'm not entirely sure, it seems as though Quark's costumes were often a much more formal appearance with several layers, whereas Neelix's costumes seem more colorful but simple with just decorated pants and a coat or tunic.

#17 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:51 AM

They really need a third female body. At the moment we have tall & short, but no inbetween.

If they cannot afford an entirely new body, perhaps they could add a bit of height to Ezri's lower legs. Altering the existing molds shouldn't cost them too much moolah. And I think this height would suit a lot more of the random women DST may look into.

If not, I think I would prefer the Ezri over the Dax mold for both Voyager women. But...whatever. It would simply be awesome to see them.

#18 spider1981

spider1981

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:13 AM

I submitted an Ask DST question recently on their site asking if despite their general negative tone when asked about Voyager figures/merchandise, if the buzz the 7 of 9 figure is generating turns out healthy sales, might they consider finding a way to introduce more VOY figures. Their Ask DST feature has seemed to become rather sporadic lately, so who knows if it'll get answered.

#19 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:17 AM

I think that we're closer than ever to AA/DST doing a Voyager line. The DS9 S1/S2 molds removed pretty much any excuse AA/DST had not to do Voyager figures except that they hadn't completed the DS9 line. By doing DS9 S3 figures, AA/DST has not only removed the last real "excuse" not to do Voyager figures, but has also opened the door for some cool Voyager exclusives, such as an EMH Mk. II figure which would essentially be as easy as placing Andy Dick's Headsculpt on a DS9 S3 body now--ditto for a Barclay "chase" figure from the Voyager cameos.

What's more, why shouldn't AA/DST to a Voyager line? The excuses I keep hearing are all ridiculously flimsy, and I'll detail them below:

1. AA/DST Excuse: A Voyager line won't sell.
Rebuttal: That didn't stop AA, and later AA/DST (AA/DST did the ISS Enterprise NX-01) from doing an Enterprise toy line, and doing it before the much more successful TOS line. I've talked to several people who were only fans of Voyager and are waiting for the Voyager line. I'm admittedly saving my money for this line as well.

2. AA/DST Excuse: We have other lines that need to be finished first.
Rebuttal: Okay, fair enough--DS9 S3 is a good example, but another repainted phaser and handful of Captain Kirk figures in place of a Voyager line aren't going to impress me. Instead of a 40th Kirk variant, I'd like to see at least one figure of each Voyager crew member, and if given the choice between another TOS Phaser and a Voyager Phaser, I'd take the Voyager Phaser.

3. AA/DST Excuse: Nobody cares about Voyager. (Similar to #1)
Rebuttal: Well let me introduce myself then: I'm nobody, and I care about Voyager. The rest of us "nobodies" also care about Voyager, and we want to see the line completed--TOS, TNG, and now DS9 are getting lavish lines, and there are a good deal of us Voyager fans who want to see the line from our favorite Trek series. I remember AA/DST also saying that TOS "wouldn't sell," and that "nobody cared" about that line either early on, and they were wrong there.

I like AA/DST, I really do, but I just don't like this ridiculous attitude taken toward a Voyager line. AA/DST can't use the "excuse" that they have to do figures for the new movie because Playmates has the license for that. If anything, AA/DST should be doing a Voyager line now more than ever while they don't have to worry about "new" Trek coming out under their license or acquiring the license to more Trek.

The absolute worst thing AA/DST can do is ignore Voyager fans. This would be even worse than the Playmates 1701 disaster that all but killed the Trek toy license. Voyager fans such as myself don't appreciate being ignored while every other Trek series has gotten a decent run of figures and is getting ships/accessories. Voyager fans have already stated that they'd stop collecting AA/DST merchandise if AA/DST doesn't do a full Voyager line because the AA/DST Trek line would be "incomplete" without it; why AA/DST wouldn't want to please these customers is beyond me.

Finally, I just can't see a company claim to have a "complete" Trek line and ignore an entire series with the exception of a handful of figures. The very least that we could get would be the Bridge Crew, The Doctor, Lt. Torres, and Neelix, Kes, and Seven of Nine who were the "core" crew, with no variants like Admiral Janeway. With the ability to do variants, such as the ECH, Admiral Janeway, and Seven in a different catsuit, I see no reason for AA/DST not to do a Voyager line. Why not just do a "Box set" of the crew for Voyager the way that Playmates did for TOS? Sure it cost more than individual figures, but you got the whole crew in one shot and didn't have to worry about missing somebody. I honestly thought that this was the easiest way to buy Trek figures and I'd love AA/DST to do it for Voyager.

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:54 AM

QUOTE (Alex @ Jan 9 2009, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. AA/DST Excuse: A Voyager line won't sell.
Rebuttal: That didn't stop AA, and later AA/DST (AA/DST did the ISS Enterprise NX-01) from doing an Enterprise toy line, and doing it before the much more successful TOS line.

But, AA was pressured by Paramount to do ENT 1st since it had an ongoing media tie in (the show was actually on TV at the time)... and even with that support, the ENT line soon found their way to the discount bins and as such was considered a failure. That's why we never got a regular Duty Phlox or Hoshi, and only because of NFC did we get the Reed. The Truth is the TOS line saved that followed saved star trek for AA, and kept AA going!

Also, TNG didn't sell well. You can still get full cases of wave 1 and 2 on the net for $40... that's $5 per figure and that's years after they were made!

2. AA/DST Excuse: We have other lines that need to be finished first.
Instead of a 40th Kirk variant, I'd like to see at least one figure of each Voyager crew member.

Well, many here (myself included) would like a full VOY crew... and if, by full crew, you mean the Dr., Janeway and 7 of 9, then I think DST will deliver. As for not finishing lines... it all depends on how you count crew! DST has told fans to move on past ENT. It's not gonna happen. They consider TOS & TNG complete. I don't, but that' me! if you go by their def of complete, then TOS, TNG, TWOK and MM TOS have all been completed. I give 'em TWOK & MM TOS!

The absolute worst thing AA/DST can do is ignore Voyager fans. This would be even worse than the Playmates 1701 disaster that all but killed the Trek toy license. Voyager fans such as myself don't appreciate being ignored while every other Trek series has gotten a decent run of figures and is getting ships/accessories. Voyager fans have already stated that they'd stop collecting AA/DST merchandise if AA/DST doesn't do a full Voyager line because the AA/DST Trek line would be "incomplete" without it; why AA/DST wouldn't want to please these customers is beyond me.

Again, as stated above there just isn't a huge demand over all for star trek. As an example, look at the just released limited TMP two pack. 1701 edition size and readily available on the net. DST is having troubles selling run sizes of 2000 units! That's not a big edition!

So let me ask this question... will you buy the 7 of 9 figure? or wait until DST announces a complete VOY line? If you wait and sales on the few VOY figures you get are low, DST won't make more!

Heck DST says TOS sells, and they won't even do a Chapel and Rand!

There are many that would love a Yar, Pulaski and Guinan!

And why DST didn't just use the existing molds and pump out the last two "Away Team" crew members in EVA suites is beyond me... that seems like easy money!

I can only conclude that DST is struggling and really fighting for the fans to keep this line going!

But that's my nickels worth!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users