Photo

Review: Cadet Picard (and an added bonus)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:Avoiding landing parties, surviving till the titles roll

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

I'm back! And I got a huge parcel with four cadets in, so guess what I'm reviewing? Cadet Picard, plus an added bonus. More on that later, to the cadet's.

Back in 1996, Playmates produced a series of figures, entitled "Star Trek, Starfleet Academy", showcasing Picard, Riker, Geordi, and Worf as youngsters in Starfleet academy. They where, of course, based on Playmates vision of them younger, hence not cannon, infuriating collectors even today. If that wasn't enough, they where offered at a higher price, due to the CD ROM, and they rapidly became peg warmers. When I started up, I heard about these, and in all honestly was put off by the bad reputation. Plus, I'm more likely to buy a Sisko or O'Brien figure than a Cadet, hence I didn't even buy one till this September. But as the pile of figures to buy has rapidly decreased, I began to look at them differently, and they didn't seem half bad based on the pictures.

I had an opportunity to buy a complete, sealed wave one, and I took it! Here's Picard (with hair!):

14942959863_dca0f3bc68_z.jpg

Boxed in plasticy stasis. Apparently, he's wearing a "standard issue flight suit". Pretty nice, though a bit monochromatic based on face value. The box is beautiful, very grand, taller and heavier than your average box, it really invokes the feeling that it's "special", if that makes any sense. Very, very nicely done, I'd argue this one of the best box designs they did.

14942660454_27f33e10a5_z.jpg

The cardback. I had to take a photo, it's very nicely done. The gas cloud is either a vampire cloud creature, or err, "gas leakage" from Picard after a spicy meal. (I should say this card belongs to Riker)

15563979882_7643713cc2_z.jpg

The back. Again, very nicely executed. The accessories, the other figures, how to operate the CD ROM, and lots of various info are present. No crazy Vedek's, fist punching Klingons, or gun toting, knife wielding kids are present, though the prototypes have a ton more paint apps than the originals, no doubt dropped due to cost.

14942964963_dff6e227c9_z.jpg

His bio. Somebody did some research, referencing events mentioned in "The Best Of Borth Worlds", "The First Duty", and "Tapestry".

15564056822_c70940b210_z.jpg

And the CD ROM

To the figure! 

15539512756_7a8f7b6e5b_z.jpg

Picard's accessories. One of the things that was a really pleasant surprise with the cadets was the accessories. Some really nice stuff, not the usual multi range light source and light stick (for the most part, at least). Here we have, from left to right, a PADD, a protective flight vest, an eye visor, in front of that is a subspace beacon, and finally a Starfleet phaser. The last two have long pegs on the underside, allowing them to be attached to Picard via various holes on his belt and arm. And best of all, silver!! It's all silver or white! Not purple or pink!

15539504526_e7d07b52be_z.jpg

His base, identical between all the cadets. Like everything else so far, I love it, it's textured, it looks great, and is pretty accurate too.

15560491391_18c943e206_z.jpg

A front view, without his gear. You can see the holes where the phaser and beacon attach, the Starfleet delta on his belt buckle and some interesting blue boots. I like the way all the various straps look similar to a pilot's harness nowadays, no doubt this was what they had in mind with this being a flight suit and all. 

15564013732_3bd6c54cd1_z.jpg

A close up. I've got to say, while I wasn't convinced at first, I think they did a pretty damn good job on making him look like Picard, particularly around the eyes and the nose.

15377539490_1f15dfc473_z.jpg

A back view. The pilot motif continues around the back.

Continued in a second, same Starfleet time, same Starfleet channel! 

#2 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

(Continued)

15377564870_4ff104610f_z.jpg

Picard with almost all his gear. He improves vastly with the vest, and everything else. It's not specified where you put his stuff (other than the vest), except for the prototype pic. I put the beacon on his arm, and the phaser on his belt as it seemed logical, thought it's up to you where you put them.

15377104368_08a071333b_z.jpg

A closeup of the gear on him, some fantastic detail here, especially on the chest plate.

14943035983_f7b15f56d7_z.jpg

A back view with his equipment. 

15377218537_9271243ae0_z.jpg

Some interesting headgear

14942476294_9a2f6a6a56_z.jpg

A comparison between his younger and older self.

Would I recommend him?

Yes, like other figures I've recently reviewed, theirs something appealing about having something that never appeared. Not only does he look like Picard, he comes with some pretty nice stuff.

Price?

People these days seem to think they can change double the amount, no doubt due to the CD ROM. I paid £30 for the full set, in total £7.50 for each of them, which I think's not too bad at all.

Playability?

Not much, as it's a young Picard, though with some wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff going on, I suppose you could have him meet his future self. Or crash the Goddard, and bail out with his flight suit.

And finally, the added "bonus";

15376642499_f9fca99846_z.jpg

A production error Riker, with a Picard head! I couldn't believe it, in fact, I don't believe I would believe it if I hadn't seen Rene Bousquet's site. He has/had one exactly like it. And do you know what?

I opened him.

Mwhahahhahahahahhaha! Expect a review soon...

#3 robster

robster

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:03 AM

What,no review of the CDROM? Or mention of what's actually on it? lol! I never got round to getting these figs,maybe now is a good time. Great pics!

J-R!

#4 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

I like the Cadet figures, for various reasons. They're pretty cool for customization, too. Great review.

#5 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

robster

According to the box, it contains some sort of omnipedia of Academy files, something like that to quote Garak. I went to install it on my computer, but it wanted me to upload the files one by one. Another day perhaps. 

Thanks on the pictures, and I'd definitely say their worth the money.

Daysleeper

Thanks on the review! I've seen a great custom of a DS9 Alexander made using the Worf head, and I've long considered making Ensign baby face or a young Cadet Picard before he got skewered by the Nausicaan's using the young heads. And I'm sure Cadet Worf's body would make a good base for a Breen!

Any preference on what Cadet to review next?

#6 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

Why not Cadet Babyface?

#7 Redshirt#7

Redshirt#7

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

I hadn't considered, I thought about Riker in an operations gold/command red TNG S1/2 uniform (for the appearances mentioned in Second Chances and the Pegasus respectively), maybe make a young Troi to go with him, but then again, if I had a spare Cadet Wes figure...

I was also thinking, if I aged the Geordi head, added eyes, and placed the head on a tall body, it'd make a decent Jake from the Visitor. 

#8 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

Yeah I think you're right. Cadet LaForge does indeed look more like Tony Todd than like a young LeVar Burton...

#9 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:03 AM

cadet picard reminds of the lead guy from TV show Sliders...I forget the actor's name....

#10 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 01:08 PM

Jerry O'Connell?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users