Photo

Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#221 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 11 May 2023 - 11:04 AM

A few of us have been poking and prodding to no avail on social media and directly through customer service emails. Apparently their design and development team has chosen to remain silent. We are going to need a much bigger stick.

#222 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:41 PM

Play Trek group on Facebook said Janeway is cancelled.....only figure I was gonna buy multiple of from the prodigy wave

#223 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 06:17 PM

Nagging the manufacturer is like preaching to the choir.

Collectors need to let retailers know there's interest. They're the ones with the buying power to get these things made.

#224 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 11:11 AM

They don't seem to have much of a social media team, weirdly enough.

My local Target (southern New England) never got the figures. Walmart got them sometime in Jan-Feb. Wild.

#225 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 06:12 PM

Did you see they are going to re-release a TOS communicator and TNG Enterprise D. Those have been confirmed for this fall

#226 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:39 AM

Did you see they are going to re-release a TOS communicator and TNG Enterprise D. Those have been confirmed for this fall

Do you have a source?

#227 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 12:04 PM

This is wild cause these are... literally two things one can buy on eBay from PM right now, or from other mfrs.

#228 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 01:15 PM

https://youtu.be/V88Bov2TE-Y

#229 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 01:15 PM

Same guys from last video link

#230 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 04:10 PM

Hmm I was kind of hoping we'd see a Titan/Enterprise-G at least.

#231 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 04:59 PM

Maybe that will be their first "non retro" ship

#232 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 10:29 PM

Playmates themselves have confirmed the TOS communicator and Enterprise D on their Instagram feed. They really need to do better because not everyone follows social media. Theres also six figures coming that have only been shown at London Toy Fair. Hopefully Playmates will open up about future plans at San Diego Comic-Con and Star Trek Las Vegas Con this Summer. New York Comic-Con will be happening not long after and New York Toy Fair will be happening in October this year finally after a long absence. I think the positive takeaway from Playmates announcement on Instagram is that apparently online sales of Star Trek has been successful enough to warrant the continuation of their Star Trek line. I hope they will offer some kind of SDCC exclusive- Not something that wont be available to everyone that wants it but some kind of packaging variation. Nothing like that 1701 debacle from the 90s!

#233 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 12:29 AM

Maybe that will be their first "non retro" ship

I hope so.  I at least hope we get more info at comic con or a future con.

. I think the positive takeaway from Playmates announcement on Instagram is that apparently online sales of Star Trek has been successful enough to warrant the continuation of their Star Trek line.

Thats good to hear.

#234 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 11:01 AM

I don't see older Trek moving at retail. My local Walmart stores are still loaded with Kirk, Spock, and Khan. Burnam and Saru came and went at Target though they lingered a while. TNG moved after the third season of Picard hit despite not being a direct tie-in. The electronic 1701 is still on shelves and I've yet to see Prodigy figures anywhere but online. I'm hoping Prodigy figures will do well since the show is on both Paramount+ and Nickelodeon.

So while it's nice to see Trek back in the toy aisles, it's sad to see so much of it collecting dust. The back of the cards are being wasted. There should be much more cross-promotion.

#235 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 02:06 PM

I definitely agree about cross-promotion on the card backs. As for TWOK figures and TOS Enterprise and Phaser lingering at Walmart I think its asking a lot to think three figures of old men are in any way going to inspire children to buy into an action figure line. I dont care how popular these might be to us older fans. Kids arent clamoring for Old Ben Kenobi and Moff Tarkin from Star Wars either! These younger Prodigy characters are more relatable to children. Hopefully Murf can be to this line as Grogu is to The Mandalorian.

#236 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:47 AM

You know Im honestly interested to see what they do with the D this time.  

#237 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 02:08 PM

So, Canadian tru have the figures, phaser and super7 on sale. $16. For all the 3 3/4 figures!

#238 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 07:35 AM

Just blows my mind they're redoing vehicles from the 1990s that are, uhh, still in oversupply on eBay. Or were done by DST.

#239 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 10:46 AM

I don't see any reason to get excited for another Enterprise D. We have multiple new hero ships, and no representation of them. Where is the Cerritos, Discovery, SNW Enterprise, Protostar (I know it's supposedly coming), or Titan? Hell, give me an Enterprise F. Retreading old ground is boring. 

Just blows my mind they're redoing vehicles from the 1990s that are, uhh, still in oversupply on eBay. Or were done by DST.

Done better by DST. None of the Playmates ships, new or old, are better than any of DST's offerings. At least for collectors. 

#240 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 10:05 PM

Have they stated they're only doing one ship a year?  Or is that just speculation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users