• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#81 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

We will have to see what this series is like before I make a judgement. Picard is older and no doubt wiser and has also no doubt experienced quite a few things since we last saw him that will have affected him in some way. We all change as we age. I can accept that with Picard, but hopefully other things will not be changed just for the sake of changing things. That's when you piss people off.

#82 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:12 PM

I'm staying optimistic and will give this a chance. It's not something new, but at least its a continuation of the existing story rather than a rewriting. It's still much like Discovery feels somewhat like a fan film rather than a real Star Trek production, especially the logo they went with. I'm not sure how interesting it will be if Picard has left starlet, we'll see I guess.

Hey, worst case scenario if they go a direction that fans don't like and it doesn't work out they can just end with a series finale where it's revealed that Picard's Irumodic syndrome has set in and he imagined everything.

#83 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

I'm more optimistic about this series than since anything before "Enterprise" even debuted, which is a not a high bar, but still, guise.

I think if the writers can be cognizant enough to avoid the things that made JJverse & Discovery instantly controversial with fans, they will be okay. There are even lists of complaints on The Google -- it's not a secret what they are. Avoiding them is not that hard to do, tbh, especially for writers who are woke enough that canon should not be disrespected or wildly altered just because. A lot of Discovery is just a poke in the eye, and there are lessons to be learned there.

Whether the writers like it or not, this is a nostalgia show -- they are not starting from a clean sheet. It also shouldn't be SeaQuest 2032 where Bridger has left and is some kinda wandering beardo.

From how it's set up, it's The Motion Picture leap in time, except Picard is not itching to get his command back.

I swear, if this turns out to be another Mirror universe shtick or "time travel is an everyday thing now!" & "consequences don't matter, because reset button" show, people are gonna riot in the streets and just burn cars and block highways with overturned Target shopping carts.

For what it's worth, addressing the Picard-leaving-Starfleet thing, I don't think they'd trash the Enterprise-E for shock value -- that would be a Ping Zing 9-iron to the shins of fans. I just hope Riker is Captain now is he's off just doing regular flagship stuff, getting owned by Pakleds, etc. Here's why I don't think it's that: the narrator in the teaser does not know. If the E was destroyed, then that question would probably not be asked. I think it's more mysterious and non-obvious.

#84 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

I always wanted to try my hand at a fanfic novel where Geordi goes on a quest to recover Data's head somewhere out there after being ejected from the Nemesis aftermath and re-assemble him.  Something along the lines of the completion of Data's character arc to become "human", because other humans are willing to (or do) sacrifice their own lives for him...

Now I really don't think that has anything to do with the plot of Picard...

But from what we know so far, I can imagine in my head that's what is going on.  Picard left Starfleet after realizing the total loss of his friend and student in humanity...  and now he's on a quest to assemble a rag tag crew and go put him back together.

Except like I said, I know that's not where it's going.  But fun to imagine?  :P

#85 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

This looks like a pretty shaky rumor at this point, but its interesting. Brent Spiner always said he didnt feel he could play Data anymore because he had aged too much. With cgi technology where its at now I think its totally doable.

https://wegotthiscov...U8fWezkZ4gw8Ibw

#86 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

I always wanted to try my hand at a fanfic novel where Geordi goes on a quest to recover Data's head somewhere out there after being ejected from the Nemesis aftermath and re-assemble him.  Something along the lines of the completion of Data's character arc to become "human", because other humans are willing to (or do) sacrifice their own lives for him...

Now I really don't think that has anything to do with the plot of Picard...
But from what we know so far, I can imagine in my head that's what is going on.  Picard left Starfleet after realizing the total loss of his friend and student in humanity...  and now he's on a quest to assemble a rag tag crew and go put him back together.

Except like I said, I know that's not where it's going.  But fun to imagine?  :P

I had a couple of ideas of a story bringing Data back. The first deals with the Romulan beaming him out as Shinzons shop exploded. So they get half of him. Then for several years try and recreate their own android army but when they get their more advanced prototype up and running Data uploads himself into the new body.

The other deals with Starfleets temporal agency coming back in time and plucking him out right before the explosion and recruiting him as a temporal agent.

I doubt either will happen in Picard but it's fun to imagine. I do hope we get at least one or two cameos from characters from TNG, DS9 or Voyager.

#87 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

So I won't lie, I absolutely LOVED the trailer for Star Trek: Picard! Oh who am I kidding, not just the trailer, but the logo too. For those of you might not realize this, it's clearly a throwback to the unused logo for DS9 seen here: (Look around the 30 second mark for a good shot of the original insanely '90s DS9 logo.) I'm actually glad that we're getting to see a variation of this logo used on an actual series too, while the original DS9 version is pretty rough, I always thought that the concept as a whole worked. This is honestly the most excited I've been for a new Trek series since VGR, and I just hope it lives up to my expectations.

A few semi–random thoughts on the teaser:

• The narrator sounds vaguely like Sonequa Martin–Green; this is probably just a coincidence, but I wonder if this could be a hint about where things are going with DSC S3
  • I loved that we got to see Picard back at the vineyard, complete with bottles of Chateau Picard as the primary portion of the teaser. This really reminded me a lot of some of what we saw in All Good Things and Generations, and felt like it was trying to tell us that the show knows where it's coming from and can remember more than just Nemesis and Trek XI, which is a very good sign
  • The poster/promo image for the show that's used at the end of the teaser made out of the grapevines really feels like it drives the whole "Picard" emphasis home. This is his family's legacy, it's what the Picard name is synonymous with, and it brings the story back down to a personal level that seems to be where this show will be thriving the most

Additionally, I should note that I don't think they'd destroy the Enterprise–E just for shock value and risk the level of backlash that would cause with the fans, at least not as the reason Picard left Starfleet. (Now I could very easily see the Enterprise–E in its latest refit glory appearing in the series at some point, and quite possibly even being destroyed in some big heroic moment, but I'd probably avoid going that route with the ship's cameo as well if it were to occur.)

Oh and Whirlygig, the general idea you're describing for your novel is sort of like what a lot of us were hoping would have been the "Search for Data" sequel to Nemesis that we never got.

Finally, it's interesting to note that this series sort of seems like it's in some ways the antithesis of Kirk in TMP as Morgan pointed out. There's a similar time gap except unlike Kirk who didn't want to leave the bridge of his ship, Picard appears quite content to have gone full McCoy, Leonard H. and effectively left Starfleet. This is a somewhat different angle than we're used to, and I'm definitely interested to see how it plays out.

#88 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:59 AM

I read an interesting review on the latest X-Men movie... Dark Phoenix, which is much anticipated by fan boys & girls of Claremont's original comic arch, but both fan and critic reviews have been pretty mixed and soft on it... not that its the worst effort... it just doesn't seem to shine. 

One of the reasons given for the lackluster effort has been the lack of someone like Sir Patrick, who knows how to really connect with audiences. To that extent, I place Sir Patrick in the category of actors like Meryl Streep, yes they are in bad shows... but the show is never bad because of them and if anything... its actually better because of them...sometimes they are the only good thing about it! 

I really believe that this project will shine brighter than DISCO because of this alone... even if the writing is on the same mediocre level. Of course final verdict will have to wait until we can see the product, but as others have noted there is good reason for all trek fans to be genuinely excited because Sir Patrick is genuinely a gold standard level actor. 

#89 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:16 AM

I saw a YouTube video posted by someone who claims to have an inside source with the Picard Star trek show, and he says that Jonathan Frakes has completed filming his block of episodes of the Picard show, and a screening was done for test audiences. According to this YouTuber, there was 70% negative audience reaction to it, with those that did like it identifying as JJ Abrams fans. The audience reportedly said they did not like this version of Picard and that the look and Aliens featured did not feel like Star Trek. While this is definitely just rumor until others verify it, I am not surprised. I would be more than shocked if we ever got a Star Trek show that actually felt like Star Trek again.

#90 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:33 AM

link to the vid?

#91 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:54 AM

I watch YouTube on my Xbox, not on my phone or computer, so don't have a link.

#92 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 05:56 PM

Sounds like typical Midnights Edge BS.

#93 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:42 AM

Sooooo... Fake news?  :roflmao:

There are tons of fanboy blogs out there that tell you everything thats wrong with every franchise, including Star Trek.

I've skimmed some of the Star Trek ones... and I do agree with some of the opinions... especially those that question if the writing of the new Picard will be any better then DISCO when you basically have the same creative team in charge.

What I think (hope?) will be different is that Sir Patrick Stewarts acting... his ability to really connect will make a difference, even if the plot is garbage. We saw this already in DISCO, the most interesting characters are those where the actor is able to make a connection to the audience... Issac's Lorca and Mount's Pike have been standouts to me. 

#94 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:12 PM

It wasn't Midnight Edge (at least, not on the usual channel), it was offered to me on my PS4 youtube app as well. Not only does he mention that above (don't remember the Frakes bit, but I think I read that elsewhere anyway), but apparently Kurtzman is no longer in charge or something? I'll see if I can find it by tomorrow.

EDIT: Just in case you go looking (I'm off to bed right now, sorry), it was a guy with a beard and beanie hat on, looked like it was in his bedroom?

#95 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:56 PM

I looked back at YouTube and it looks like the YouTubers name is Overlord DVD.

#96 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:58 PM

Certainly lots of rumors... one of the chief complaints I hear... and its been made right here on this forum too is that CBS has basically been asleep at the creative wheel... instead looking at Trek purely from its ability to pay royalties w/o putting anything (or work) back into the franchise.

I tend to agree with this view... after all it was pretty much Paramount taking the risk through the Berman era... and I bet there are a few fans that were pretty critical of ENT that wish they could have that back again! CBS hasn't really ever taken a risk on Trek... NBC aired it and CBS ended up with it when they purchased Desilu... and then Paramount was really the one that took it through to ENT.

Maybe CBS should sell the IP to someone that wants to invest back into it?

#97 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:24 AM

I looked back at YouTube and it looks like the YouTubers name is Overlord DVD.

Doomcock (that's how he calls himself). He is pretty much the same as Midnight Edge. They pretend they know people and things, but their predictions are always false. People just don't bother keeping track. They make money by shouting bullshit. Don't fall for it.

#98 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:36 AM

Doomcock... Would have been my second guess. Another doom and gloom YouTube channel that spouts BS that doesnt actually end up being true. I dont think any of what they or Midnights Edge has said has actually ended up happening.

Wouldnt be surprised if they start talking about how Picard will be canceled and is a horrible failure after the first episode airs like theyve been saying about Discovery since it started.

#99 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

but... but... they say themselves that most of their rumors turn out to be true! :ninja:

My friend and I went on a double date to see a show... everyone hated it but me... thus I conclude that 75% of the population hated that show!

:roflmao:

#100 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:57 AM

One of the reasons given for the lackluster effort has been the lack of someone like Sir Patrick, who knows how to really connect with audiences. To that extent, I place Sir Patrick in the category of actors like Meryl Streep, yes they are in bad shows... but the show is never bad because of them and if anything... its actually better because of them...sometimes they are the only good thing about it! 

I really believe that this project will shine brighter than DISCO because of this alone... even if the writing is on the same mediocre level. Of course final verdict will have to wait until we can see the product, but as others have noted there is good reason for all trek fans to be genuinely excited because Sir Patrick is genuinely a gold standard level actor. 

I largely agree with you on this, although I sometimes have to forget that I hear Sir Patrick Stewart's voice every time I see the poop emoji now. :P In fairness to DSC, I'm going to state that I believe that the writing did improve for the most part during season two. (The finale was a giant leap backward in that regard, but overall it was exponentially better than season one. Maybe season three will finally hit TNG–VGR levels of writing, or at least get close enough to them that the show will feel like Trek.) I know a lot of people like to rake Alex Kurtzman over the coals, but I honestly think that firing Berg and Harberts and putting Kurtzman in charge might have been part of the reason why season two's writing is so much better than season one's for the most part. I also have to wonder if season two's flaws are a result of rewrites and changes that were made once Berg and Harberts where out of the picture, and if the team just couldn't clean up the entire mess they made effectively without a handful of poorly written scenes that really stand out like a sore thumb. If Season 3 has even better consistently superior writing though, I'll probably have my answer.

I've skimmed some of the Star Trek ones... and I do agree with some of the opinions... especially those that question if the writing of the new Picard will be any better then DISCO when you basically have the same creative team in charge.

What I think (hope?) will be different is that Sir Patrick Stewarts acting... his ability to really connect will make a difference, even if the plot is garbage. We saw this already in DISCO, the most interesting characters are those where the actor is able to make a connection to the audience... Issac's Lorca and Mount's Pike have been standouts to me. 

I really think that the writing in Picard will be better than in DSC. The difference in quality between DSC S1 and DSC S2 alone tells me that this team can do better than they did for the first go around. A lot of what Kurtzman has said about DSC also makes me think that it was really meant to pander to the Abrams crowd early on, namely the comment about DSC being like "a bullet" in that it glosses over the plot to get right to the big stakes stuff, and that Picard isn't going to do that. To me that says they know exactly what they're doing with DSC, and the lousy writing is somewhat intentional. If Picard looks well written, I'll have my answer for sure though. I really felt like Mount was a natural with Pike, much more than Issac with Lorca too, although Issac definitely wasn't in the equation for why I consider that to be the case.

Certainly lots of rumors... one of the chief complaints I hear... and its been made right here on this forum too is that CBS has basically been asleep at the creative wheel... instead looking at Trek purely from its ability to pay royalties w/o putting anything (or work) back into the franchise.

I tend to agree with this view... after all it was pretty much Paramount taking the risk through the Berman era... and I bet there are a few fans that were pretty critical of ENT that wish they could have that back again! CBS hasn't really ever taken a risk on Trek... NBC aired it and CBS ended up with it when they purchased Desilu... and then Paramount was really the one that took it through to ENT.

Maybe CBS should sell the IP to someone that wants to invest back into it?

I have mixed feelings about this viewpoint. With DSC I'd sort of agree with it; they basically made Netflix pay and just cashed the check. If it tanked, sucked to be Netflix, if it did well, CBS's wallet would just be fatter. With Picard, CBS actually appears to be forking over some cash, and even with the tax break, shooting in California is still a bit pricey, but it definitely is going to help with the nostalgia factor, so I think CBS is finally sinking some real money into the franchise.

You do have a mistake in your second paragraph though. NBC aired Trek and begrudgingly so for a season and a half before they axed it since Nielsen ratings weren't a think yet. Paramount bought out Desilu, and they themselves were acquired from the Gulf+Western oil company by former media giant Viacom. Viacom through Paramount took the risk from TNG–ENT, and then the company was split in half when Sumner Redstone initially began thinking about retirement. This was due to the fact that Les Moonves who handled the more consistent ends of the business (namely CBS, Pocket Books, etc.,) and Tom Freston who handled the riskier ends of the business, (namely MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon, etc.,) hated each others guts and were constantly at each other's throats. Redstone had enough and decided to pull a King Solomon; Moonves got CBS and the consistent assets and Freston got the more volatile assets. (This was intentional, they were assigned based on each would–be CEO's view on how the company should be run.) Viacom became CBS, and a new company also called Viacom was created for Freston's assets. It's important to note that despite the identical names, Viacom with the new logo is actually the "new" company while "old Viacom" was just rebranded as CBS. Redstone still controlled the majority shares of both companies through his National Amusement's company, a practice his daughter now continues. For what it's worth, Freston resigned shortly after getting control of "new Viacom," and we all saw what happened to Moonves, so neither of them got their wish to sit on Redstone's iron throne.

CBS has very much been willing to invest in Trek, they just haven't been consistent about it. Moonves admitted he was the one who killed ENT, and that it was a tough decision made only after it became obvious that the show was just a black hole that was swallowing up the company's profits and he could no longer defend it to shareholders. He was also the one who pushed for the creation of DSC and to have Trek headline CBS All Access. Yes, he made a gaffe that basically admitted Trek fans will pay for anything, but at the end of the day, the decision was a smart one to make All Access a serious competitor with other streaming services. Right now it's the only one I'm signed up for, so it clearly worked.

As far as risks go, TOS–R and TNG–R were both risks taken under CBS's watch, I give them credit for those even if they botched the launch of TNG–R. Likewise, I would say that the deal CBS inked with Kurtzman is most definitely a risk as well, and that CBS is taking a risk with it now because they've got a series that isn't a dud, and that means that they don't have to justify to investors why they're sinking millions into these spin–offs, which wasn't something that would have been possible to state prior to DSC. Picard might not seem like a risk, but it looks like everything fans have been asking for. Two animated shows definitely constitute a risk too, with the Section 31 series looking like the one thing that might not be a risk simply because it's likely to be the most like DSC. I see no reason for CBS to part with the property at this time. Back when they were sitting on it for a decade before DSC, I probably would have agreed with you though. I do think they need to get out of the mindset of a balance sheet guy though; CBS used to win awards for Trek because of the risks they'd take. I wouldn't mind seeing them occasionally do that sort of thing again, especially now that they're basically treating the show like prestige TV at times.

Doomcock... Would have been my second guess. Another doom and gloom YouTube channel that spouts BS that doesnt actually end up being true. I dont think any of what they or Midnights Edge has said has actually ended up happening.

Wouldnt be surprised if they start talking about how Picard will be canceled and is a horrible failure after the first episode airs like theyve been saying about Discovery since it started.

Ah, this explains a lot; this guy seems to be one of those people who claims to have "sources" but somehow always has "rectally acquired" information.

For what it's worth, as wildly wrong as Midnight's Edge was about DSC overall, some of his early commentary was very similar to what I'd heard from people within the industry, and some of it was technically true. I realize a broken clock is right twice a day, but still, credit where credit is due. He said test audiences hated DSC and that a common complaint was that "it feels like a generic sci–fi show," and "there wasn't really anything to truly make it stand out as Star Trek." Now think about what some of our earliest complaints were about DSC S1; they're pretty much exactly what was pointed out to us by Midnight's Edge. He also said that CBS executives sort of expected the show to tank after the test screening, which is consistent with what I'd heard as well. The fact that fans complained about DSC supposedly didn't surprise them, what surprised them is that fans didn't complain more or rip the show to shreds like they did with ENT. He also said that they basically got Netflix to foot a large portion of the bill for S1 in exchange for the distribution rights. I have no hard evidence to back this up, but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest given that Netflix was considering trying to get the rights for an ENT S5 before DSC was announced, and that Picard is going to be handled by Amazon outside of North America, which would indicate either a falling out between Netflix and CBS, or CBS not wanting to rely solely on Netflix, and while the latter is certainly possible, the former would certainly make sense if CBS did try to leave Netflix holding the bag for DSC if things went sideways. I'm not saying Midnight's Edge is necessarily right usually, I'm just saying in this particular scenario, the broken clock had its hands stuck at 3:14, and it just happened to be 3:14AM when we glanced at said broken clock.

Doomcock on the other hand always comes across as a pure BS peddler. He reminds me of other sources of information I immediately ignore unless a credible source comes forth with the same claims. Midnight's Edge is comparable, but slightly more accurate. Still not enough for me to believe him without other sources saying the same thing though.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users