• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 padrig

padrig

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

I always thought that the New Force Star Trek Database, was the best place to find data on all of the collectibles. The only problem is, it is in the middle of an update, but it has not been updated mostly, for a year. The Playmates section is in two pieces, Some catagories are not even been created, and, the DST and Art Asylum one, has not been updated with the new items. Does anyone know if they have cancelled this project?. Or, when will they continue? It is a very nice Database, they should Keep updating it.

#2 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

Yes, Actually....I am the webmaster of that site now and Rick and i have run into a little problem. We seemed to have lost the password for the FTP Server for me to update it. I have sent Rick at NFC a few messages and he is trying to get it. I switched to my new computer and could not find the e-mail with the passwords, they were saved in the FTP program. 

When i picked that project up in 2008 it had been sitting for nearly 8 years almost to the day without an update. Many people on this board have seen that site become what it is today and a number of people on here have helped out with images over the years. I have spent a number of hours designing it and making it what it is. The Art Asylum side was the easiest to do because of all the new stuff that was coming out made it easier to get great pictures. The Playmates side on the other hand I was slowly moving everything over to the new layout. I wanted to make it the best I could with as much information as possible and the best pictures possible. But it is a bit hard finding really good pictures of some of the older stuff these days. I also have the entire Rene Bousquets Site (now defunct) on my computer (thanks to a fellow member here) and before the site went down had gotten permission from Rene to use any information from the site for the new NFC trekref. So i have been incorperating all of that info as well. It takes a while and honestly at one point i was spending around 6 hours a day on that site and maybe a year or two ago i burnt myself out on it. So i set it aside for a little while. When i started updating it again is when i got a new computer and lost the password.

I will shoot rick another message and see if he has gotten any information on the password and hopefully I can get the ball rolling on it, because I have really been excited to update it with all the new stuff for sure! Glad you like it though, it has been a major labor of love for me for a number of years now.

#3 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

Good luck Mike.  I hope you are able to update it.  Im looking forward to see what you do with it.

#4 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:21 AM

That's good to hear that it's a technical issue, I was concerned you had moved on from it.  I hope you can get back to updating it, you've done a fantastic job so far and I can't tell you how many times it's been very helpful.

#5 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:30 AM

Yeah i am hoping so too, if things don't work out I might just have to take all of the images and then somehow sponsor the site myself and put it somewhere else. I mean I'd hate to lose it, especially since i have put SO much Work into it. And wouldn't want to see it sit untouched for another few years.

#6 MarcelS

MarcelS

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

That's good to hear,

Rene Bousquets was the site for me in the days that I collected playmes figures, to bad he has quit with his site.

#7 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Well with Rene's Site, it was hosted on AOL, and AOL did away with all webhosting for members so it just vanished into oblivion, but again, someone had the entire site saved and sent it to me, so i was going to transfer as much as i could to the new site....but it is looking a bit Grim for the NFC site as it is. Not sure if Rick is interested in getting it back up and running. So at this point i am not really sure what i am gonna do with it.

#8 Wildcard

Wildcard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:57 AM

Mike would it be feasable to create a new site based on the NewForce design and then just set up a redirecting link from the NFC website to navigate to it? (Does that make sense?)

#9 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:53 PM

Well here's the thing, I can't set up anything on the NFC site because i don't have the password, and from how it seems, i think it might be dead in the water at this point. So, I have all of the images and what not on my computer (since i designed that entire new layout myself so in a sense, i kinda own the rights to the look) and all i would have to do it transfer all that over to a place that I would have to host it myself, But now that requires money, and frankly i just don't have the money to host a site like that, and pay a yearly hosting fee type of thing. I am pretty sure, my reign as webmaster has come to an end, and that REALLY stinks too because i was looking forward to completing that site, Playmates, Hallmark, Johnny Lightning, all of it. I HATE leaving things unfinnished like that. 

Now if there was someone that already had a huge place to host a website, and being image heavy it takes up a bit of room for sure, that i could use i would be totally willing to attempt to transfer it over. But man...that would take a bit f work...grr...lol

#10 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

Last time i looked at Newforcecomics.com, it still looked the same as it did in 1999 when i first began visiting the site. I dont have a clue about about hosting sites and all that, but for a business that depends on a lot of web sales, looks like Rick would have updated long ago to a newer, user friendlier site. Other sites that i have been going to since 1999 have changed at least 25 times since then. Just an observation, not a complaint.

#11 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

Last time i looked at Newforcecomics.com, it still looked the same as it did in 1999 when i first began visiting the site. I dont have a clue about about hosting sites and all that, but for a business that depends on a lot of web sales, looks like Rick would have updated long ago to a newer, user friendlier site. Other sites that i have been going to since 1999 have changed at least 25 times since then. Just an observation, not a complaint.

In fact, Rich and i talked about that, and at one point i had a very cool looking prototype design for his site, that i sent him a number of years ago. At the time the figure market was plummeting and there just wasnt stuff coming out like before. And Rick didn't wanna procede with it because of the lack of product. I think i can see if i can dig up the prototype look and post it on here.

#12 VorlonKosh

VorlonKosh

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

BadBunnyMike, how much space is needed?

#13 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Well it is a very image heavy site, and i think Rick at NFC Had 3 gigs, tht hosted his main site and the ref site, at one point he upped that but then i think he lowered it again at some point. I really am not sure as too how much space I would need, especially when adding all of the rest of the Playmates site (which is maybe only like a 5th of the way complete) and other ones i wanted to complete in the template. IE Mego, Johnny Lightning, Ertl, Micro Machines and stuff, so I honestly am not sure. It would have to be a descent amount of space for sure though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users