44 replies to this topic

#21 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (malloc64 @ Mar 16 2013, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they do have the screw cover and you are able to get it AND you are interested in taking apart your ship, you might want to wait on covering that screw until you finish fixing it. The front 2 screws are easily accessible by wiggling off the deflector dish ring. It's that rear screw that's impossible to access without damaging the ship. If you are interested in taking apart your ship, having that screw exposed might actually be an advantage.

Hi malloc64,

Thank you for the aft photo.

Also I need to point out, what you posted was AMAZING in disassembling a Starship

That's a skill level I do not have. You are blessed to be able to do what you did.

Brute force method unfortunately would get me. But clearly you display a knowledge of electronics, and Modeling.

I certainly hope they send me a part.

SuperGlue? Will do.

I hope DST is merciful to me. I do tend to be a critic.

Again, your posts and photos are outstanding.

Thanks again for putting them up!

ShipNerd

#22 Will Decker

Will Decker

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

#23 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

In a way, it's a pity Playmates never took a crack at this ship... for one thing, it would have been cool to have one as a kid, and for another, PM ships provide a great benchmark against which to make a precise measurement of exactly how much arse (in metric f*ck-tonnes) DST's versions kick.

Discounting the light-bleed, this is an incredible representation of this ship in toy form.

#24 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

I honestly don't know why Playmates never did do that ship, as a toy it's far more interesting to look at than the original series Enterprise - such a shame they didn't.

This would have been an amazing ship had it not been for the translucent plastic, that's an even bigger shame.

#25 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Destructor!!! @ Mar 18 2013, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Discounting the light-bleed, this is an incredible representation of this ship in toy form.
I couldn't agree more, sculpt and paint

#26 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

I know I have been a critic of this ship, I should point out some things I liked.

The Sculpt or Texture of the Surface of this ship was outstanding.

The attempt to detail her more with small graphics was a positive move.

The COLOR change was more inline with what she originally was. (This can be remedied with an opaque white)

Unfortunately, put together well i have posted enough of that.

If one wants to highlight AZTECA surface details, there is another way to do it..it is exterior lighting on your Toy ship.

Attempting to come up with a Whitish Pearl color to ENHANCE the AZTECA that had the unfortunate side effect of being translucent..was a killer.

If you are a die hard fan of AZTECA on Starships you can purchase "gooseneck" LED's to enhance the look of your ship.

It sure as heck worked on my Search For Spock Enterprse Photos.

ShipNerd

#27 malloc64

malloc64

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the blue "accent" paint from the deflector housing to the base of the nacelle strut (aka the "strongback")is way too blue? I know there is some debate about how saturated the colors should be. That area on-screen ranges from plain white to light grey to a light bluish color depending on the film and angle. Initially the blue accents stood out to me far more than the translucence. Other than that (and the inexplicably black deflector and black impulse engines) I agree that the sculpt and paint on the TWOK1701 is incredibly beautifully done.

I agree with the sentiment that the disappointment is made more stinging only because it's so easy to see that only a few tiny tweaks would be needed to reach a nearly "perfect" ship.

There are no serious sculpt changes needed and no need for added paint areas.

Plastic: Opaque plastic (and/or light blocking paint application to interior)
Paint : Proper blue deflector (previous DST release already had this!)
Paint : Blue strongback accent paint desaturated to a subtler shade closer to light grey
Plastic + Paint: Proper red impulse engines where only the impulse engines light up and not the whole rear section (AA's release already had this!)
Electronics: Always on lighting (only worth it if the lighting is fixed)

#28 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

I agree that the light bleed is bad on the deflector.  Its the same on mine.  I guess I can look past it because I cant keep the lights on. If I was able to it would be more of a issue.

#29 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Well, this is the most active thread on this ship, so I'm gonna post some moody eye candy, k?

The Enterprise apparently lost power near Jupiter:

NzW7aA4.jpg

We're drifting into Jupiter's rings! Reroute emergency power to the deflector!

Mfodn2B.jpg

YFiCGQ8.jpg

Scotty: I can give ye ten percent impulse paur, Cap'n. Enough te limp back te Starbase with'r tails between'r legs! I'll nae live this one down at the Corps of Engineers AGM next month!

0wDwD5w.jpg

#30 WORF22

WORF22

• Members
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the blue "accent" paint from the deflector housing to the base of the nacelle strut (aka the "strongback")is way too blue? I know there is some debate about how saturated the colors should be. That area on-screen ranges from plain white to light grey to a light bluish color depending on the film and angle. Initially the blue accents stood out to me far more than the translucence. Other than that (and the inexplicably black deflector and black impulse engines) I agree that the sculpt and paint on the TWOK1701 is incredibly beautifully done.

nqEgDqn.jpg

KG_MD_PL_1701-A-002.jpg

probert02a.jpg

tmphd0325.jpg

I agree with the sentiment that the disappointment is made more stinging only because it's so easy to see that only a few tiny tweaks would be needed to reach a nearly "perfect" ship.

There are no serious sculpt changes needed and no need for added paint areas.

Plastic: Opaque plastic (and/or light blocking paint application to interior)
Paint : Proper blue deflector (previous DST release already had this!)
Paint : Blue strongback accent paint desaturated to a subtler shade closer to light grey
Plastic + Paint: Proper red impulse engines where only the impulse engines light up and not the whole rear section (AA's release already had this!)
Electronics: Always on lighting (only worth it if the lighting is fixed)

wow cool pic man...

#31 ShipNerd

ShipNerd

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

Bah No spare part...I am targ fodder for luck with this vessel.

ShipNerd

#32 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:08 PM

Aaannndd.... EPIC NECRO! Okay, so those of you reading this might be wondering why the heck I'm posting in this thread. Short version: Because there's no thread for the original 2006 version of this ship. Long version: Basically, I came home from work on Friday to discover a package from BBTS sitting on my doorstep containing my long–awaited Romulan BoPs, which meant it was time to replace the Playmates ship in my display with the DST one. Now my display had collected quite a bit of space dust overtime, (how much I won't say out of embarassment,) so I spent the better portion of the afternoon cleaning half of it and preparing to incorporate both my new NX–01 that I received awhile back and my new Romulan BoP. I carefully removed things, set several ships aside to be dusted, (the B, the D, the saucer from the AGT–D that I display separate from the stardrive, my Playmates Defiant,) cleaned off the shelf, dusted the ships and was ready to start putting everything back. As I got to the point where the TWOK ship was supposed to go back on my shelf, I noticed it was having trouble staying put, which wasn't a problem since I wouldn't let go of it until it did. I positioned it into place and then let go, satisfied it was finally where it was staying. As I went to pick up another ship and return it to the display, my TWOK 1701's stand which had survived over a decade snapped sending my ship gently careening into the Defiant. Although I caught it before any real damage could be done to either ship, The Sisko clearly wasn't happy to see Sulu driving like Troi, and I wasn't happy to see that my stand had snapped in half and that I literally now have no way to display my TWOK 1701. Disappointed, I've moved my updated 1701–A into its place temporarily since I plan to redo the whole display anyway at some point, (c'mon DST, I need an Enterprise–C,) but I'm still peeved that I have no way to display my TWOK 1701 as well, which is currently sitting on top of some boxes along with the broken stand. Anyway, as a result of all this, I have a question. What is DST's current protocol for acquiring a replacement stand? Any help is appreciated, thank you all for your time.

Oh, one final note: If DST reissues this ship again, I'd really like to suggest that they use the stand from the Enterprise–B. Not only is that stand sturdier, but the Starfleet logo on it is actually accurate for TWOK unlike the stand that ships with the TWOK 1701 and the 1701–A. While this is a minor nitpick, it would actually fix two problems at once if DST used that design instead.

#33 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:02 PM

I'd say just email them saying your stand broke, and see if they can send you a replacement.

They've been pretty good about it for me in the past.

#34 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Alteran195, I really appreciate the help! I'll send them an e–mail and see if they can send a replacement. Unfortunately, it sounds like this a problem that they're very familiar with based on posts that have been made here in the past.

#35 Reign1701A

Reign1701A

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hey Alex, I'd recommend you look into stands made by TSHobbies. I've replaced almost all the original stands on my DST ships, they look great but they're a little pricey. I love them because they cradle the ship instead of using the peg hole, so you can display them with the regular battery (non-peghole cover) and pick them up and look at 'em with ease. http://tshobbies.com/. I also really like the flight pose stands, I display one of my TOS-E's with it: https://flightpose.com/

#36 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:04 PM

I'm very tempted to start replacing my DST stands with the TSHobby ones. Especially the Romulus BoP.

I've been watching their eBay store for quite a while now.

#37 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

If you don't want to go with the really fancy expensive stands they do have some basic economical alternatives, too. :) I was looking into getting one for my 1701-A but DST emailed me back saying they'd send me a new stand (call me a weirdo but I prefer the DST stands even if they are prone to breaking).

#38 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

My TWOK stand responded well to SuperGlue when it snapped near the ball (I had to use pliers to remove the ball from the ship's socket). Just FYI, SuperGlue is effective on them.

But I'll second the endorsement of Flightpose stands, they're great.

#39 Reign1701A

Reign1701A

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

https://i.imgur.com/ek75D8Z.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/7KVxc88.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rpsilRe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UOGHOON.jpg

#40 Nigel

Nigel