Photo

Why are the Kirk likenesses so terrible?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Section32

Section32

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Being better at this than you

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:02 PM

Seriously. This is the main reason why I've never felt compelled to collect the DS figures: I've got most of the AA Enterprise range and the Nemesis foursome, with their uncanny laser-scanned headsculpts*, and I also have Martok (badass) and DS9/ TNG movies Worf (less so tbh), but the majority of DS's models, for all their high quality detailing, etc, are almost totally unappealing purely because the likenesses are so lousy, Kirk being the worst example. I mean, who is that? It sure as hell isn't Shatner. And his face gets more distorted and less recognisable with age! TOS Kirk is just barely passable, but TMP Kirk, with his weirdly bouffant hair, is all wrong, and the various Wrath of Khan Kirk's look so unlike our James T, it's as if they've been modelled on someone else entirely.

I'm reminded of the Aliens toy line from the 90's, which boasted a minigun-wielding, Robocop-esque Bishop and a Ripley that was completely unlike Sigourney Weaver, allegedly because she doesn't like being rendered in plastic. 

The Spock figures aren't great, either. Most of the TNG crew suck, with Diamond having apparently decided that as long as the most famous features were present and correct (Picard's baldness, Riker's beard, Worf's Klingonness, Data's skin colour, etc), not much else was required. It's not that the DS line doesn't have its triumphs- Martok, as I said, is stunning- but overall, it amazes me that Playmates' famous Picard heads still reign supreme, whilst the best Kirk likenesses are arguably those created by Mego way back in the 70's.

OK, rant over...For now.

* Although comparing Nemesis Picard to the solicited prototype perfectly illustrates how a bad paint job can kill a good likeness

#2 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:08 AM

I totally agree, except I would say that the Playmates Kirk nailed it, likeness-wise.

I only have the Enterprise figures (and only the main crew) produced by AA/DST, and the likeness to the original people isn't bad, but I find the sculpts very angular at times.

#3 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

Most of the Kirk likenesses have been bad from DST with the exception of the last one they made in the green wrap.They used the same head on the pilot episode 2 pack. That one is good.

But they were just reusing the sculpts that Art Asylum used for TOS with the excpetion of that last one. They didnt make those themselves.  To be fair though not a lot of companies seem to be able to catch Shatners likeness.

Now for the rest of the lines from DST they had some really well done likenesses, so saying most are bad is pretty unfair. They did have some stinkers though.

Some of the best.

Riker

Worf

Odo

Geordi

Martok

Gowron

Ro

Some of the Worst

Picard

Data

Troi

Ogawa

#4 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

Don't get me started on Ogawa!!! The toy's face looks like some ghoulish Halloween mask.... I think I actually may have woken up in a cold sweat a night or two from that one lol.

#5 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

O'Brien and Crusher weren't too bad IMHO.

#6 Daysleeper

Daysleeper

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Music, acting, theatre, film, arts in General

Check out my band: www.facebook.com/eastportslackers

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

Riker? Really? In my opinion the head sculpt looks nothing like Frakes, at all... (Well except for the beard...)

Somehow Riker's likeness seems to be as hard to capture as the Shat's. The Playmates Rikers are not too good, either, except the AGT Admiral, if you ask me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users