• Please log in to reply
300 replies to this topic

#21 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

60 bucks WITHOUT Electronics...ouch Zach Ouch! You're killin us...As for the Gold Enterprise, I have been trying for YEARS AND YEARS to get one but to no avail...It is kinda sad honestly.

#22 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

Im not interested in this at all really, its kinda cool and all but I have no drive to get it.

Exclusives exist as a perk to people who pay a bunch of money to go to these events, if collectors want to pay a ton of money to get them in the aftermarket then thats their prerogative. I know I've bought an exclusive or two for well more then they're worth because I wanted it. Im not mad at the companies for making it, they're just trying to make cool things for events. 

Also like Zach said, this isn't some new product you can't get anywhere else, its a variant, like a lot of exclusives are. If you want a BoP from DST, you don't HAVE to buy this one, you can buy 1 of the other 2 available. Same thing with the exclusive battle damaged Kelvin ornament thats exclusive, and the Hot Wheels Enterprise undergoing the refit from a couple years ago, there are always the standard versions you can get. 

#23 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:07 AM

Im not interested in this at all really, its kinda cool and all but I have no drive to get it.

Exclusives exist as a perk to people who pay a bunch of money to go to these events, if collectors want to pay a ton of money to get them in the aftermarket then thats their prerogative. I know I've bought an exclusive or two for well more then they're worth because I wanted it. Im not mad at the companies for making it, they're just trying to make cool things for events. 

Also like Zach said, this isn't some new product you can't get anywhere else, its a variant, like a lot of exclusives are. If you want a BoP from DST, you don't HAVE to buy this one, you can buy 1 of the other 2 available. Same thing with the exclusive battle damaged Kelvin ornament thats exclusive, and the Hot Wheels Enterprise undergoing the refit from a couple years ago, there are always the standard versions you can get. 

I understand what you are saying, but there are collectors out there that want to be able to collect everything that comes out, including variants. They should be able to buy these variants at regular price and not have to travel thousands of miles to attend an event or pay scalper prices to get the items. Completists tend to buy more items that the casual" take it or leave it" collector, so these customers should be favorably factored in the scheme of things be producers of product. Casual collectors may buy a little here and a little there, but a completist that quits the hobby because he cant collect it all means the loss of a customer of that line for good.

#24 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

I'd like one of course, but ebay would be the only way to get it, unless they pop up on the dst website.

#25 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

I understand what you are saying, but there are collectors out there that want to be able to collect everything that comes out, including variants. They should be able to buy these variants at regular price and not have to travel thousands of miles to attend an event or pay scalper prices to get the items. Completists tend to buy more items that the casual" take it or leave it" collector, so these customers should be favorably factored in the scheme of things be producers of product. Casual collectors may buy a little here and a little there, but a completist that quits the hobby because he cant collect it all means the loss of a customer of that line for good.

I also understand what your saying, but part of the perks of going to these big conventions are the exclusive merchandise you can get there.

Also, if these completists have the financial means to buy everything, then they should be able to put funds aside to be able to afford these kinds of exclusive items, I know that if I saw something I really wanted I'd try to save for it to buy it aftermarket if I couldn't go to the convention myself.

If we're just talking DST ships that have released or rereleased this year, then you have the D, AGT D, B, Nemesis E, FC E, BoP, Cloaked BoP, the HD Enterprise, and the Excelsior later this year. If they average at $60 that's $540, not to mention props, ornaments and other products that have released.

I don't agree that people who collect everything should be put ahead of the average collector, not every exclusive item has the selling power to justify a large production run, I see this BoP as one of them. The thing that sets this apart to me from the other releases is the landing gear, but ill bet that'll be on the Bounty variant I'm sure they'll release.

#26 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:43 AM

I'd love to get one of these even at $60 dollars, but there's no way that I could make it out to SDCC. :( OH and BadBunnyMike, the Gold 1701 and the Search for Spock in Wrath of Khan packaging 1701 are the two ships I've never had luck with, although this BoP will probably join them.

Alteran195, the problem with conventions like SDCC is that the "registration" for SDCC is a joke at this point. They way it was explained to me is that anyone who attended the previous year's convention has first shot at registering for the next year's convention, which immediately locks up virtually all of the tickets. Occasionally someone will drop out and a new person has a chance at getting through the door, but more realistically, a person who can't attend will just scalp his or her pass for any given year knowing that someone will be desperate enough to pay for it. It also doesn't help that the tickets for SDCC that do reach the newcomers sell out within seconds, and that's assuming that the servers don't crash during registration, which is apparently quite common for SDCC. In other words, even if I could afford to go to SDCC, the chances of being able to get my foot in the door would have been practically non–existant because I'm not grandfathered into the convention already.

I have no problem paying a bit more for a convention–exclusive item; my problem is with paying crazy stupid prices to someone scalping a convention–exclusive item. I'm not talking about taking a $60 dollar BoP and adding a slight mark–up to cover eBay's through–the–roof fees either, (I feel bad for honest sellers who have had to jack up their prices just to break even recently,) but rather people who are selling a $60 dollar item for $200–250 dollars before shipping. I wound up picking up an SDCC–exclusive item at another convention last year, and the reason I did so is that the vendor there was selling said item for the same price it was being sold for at SDCC. (He was tied to the convention and managed to work out a deal to get the stock that didn't sell at SDCC for this other convention.) Had I gone to eBay, I would've paid upwards of $300 dollars for a $120 dollar item before I even had it shipped to me, and that's just flat–out insane.

I'm fine with giving conventiongoers first shot at certain exclusives, and even giving them exclusive packaging to differentiate a convention exclusive from a non–convention version. What I'm not fine with is having to travel across the country in the hopes of obtaining something at a remotely reasonable price, or paying scalper prices on eBay for a convention–exclusive item.

Also, when I go to convention, I generally don't tend to look for convention exclusives so much as I tend to look for items that are already impossible to find on places like eBay, in the hopes that I might find a vendor with the oddball item I'm after. I managed to have great success with that at the same convention I mentioned before last year. Convention exclusives fall into the "I'll grab it if I still have money for it" category in most situations, although their are a few items I'd make exceptions for, including this particular BoP.

Although I see where you're coming from, I have to agree a bit more with VulcanFanatic on this one. I'm not saying we need a huge run of convention exclusive ships, but it would be nice to have a run that's large enough to accomodate those who can't attend the convention. As VulcanFanatic pointed out, Playmates had toys flying off the shelves before they started to introduce exclusives into their line. As soon as they did that, things went downhill for them. The infamous "1701 line" effectively killed their Trek line entirely, to the point where they couldn't even give the figures away, let alone the Trek license that they'd botched. I don't want to see DST wind up in a similar situation where irritated completists are able to tank the entire line. Likewise, I don't appreciate being gouged by scalpers who were able to attend the convention, and who know that they can buy this ship for no other purpose than to resell it for five times what it's worth, especially when a slightly larger limited run would effectively kill the market for scalpers, at least while the exclusive ship is still new. (In three months scalpers would still be able to turn a profit on "late worm" collectors who couldn't attend the convention.)

And yes, I realize that no one has to buy this particular variant, but I happen to be fond of the fully translucent BoP design. Although I'd prefer it even more with electronics, I realize that's not possible as it would be impossible to "cloak" the PCBs and the wiring, so having the ship devoid of electronics is justifiable in this particular scenario. (The partially cloaked BoP is perfect for hiding electronics precisely because of its color.)

Granted, it could certainly be worse, I'd be far more upset if the NX Excelsior was the ship getting the SDCC exclusive treatment, or if DST did an Enterprise–E in the same gold paint scheme as the exclusive TOS 1701 as an SDCC exclusive. (Especially since I'd love to have a gold "ready room edition" Enterprise–E.) I don't think this is a "bad" convention exclusive by any means, but I do think it should be possible to make it available to non–conventiongoers after the convention without forcing everyone who wants one of these to pay scalper prices on eBay. There's a balance that can be acheived here were the exclusive will still be plenty rare while ensuring that everyone who wants one of these will be able to at least have a chance at getting one.

#27 Daddybot

Daddybot

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:28 AM

Thank you Alex for expressing my feeling about this. I guess this is what i get for being a faithfully customer of DST :(

22 ships in all. The only one i don't have is the gold 1701 :(

Now back to lurking in the shadows i go.

#28 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

If a completest feels the need to pay through the nose to get one then that is on them. No one is holding a gun to their head. They don't have to buy it. If not being able to get this or another piece causes someone to get mad enough to quit then they should probably look in to another hobby and possibly therapy.

This exclusive is not bad but Its not my thing at all. I really don't like the look of that type of clear plastic model. It looks cheap to me.

That being said if they had done a 7 of 9 figure that was only going to be available at the con I would definitely try and find a way to get one but I would not need it enough to shell out 3 and 4 times as much for it.

In this day and age, if you want it, you will find a way. There were many playmates (common ones) that I could not find until ebay and I was hard core at looking. I agree, if it makes you so mad that you start collecting salt shakers, you might need to talk to someone. LOL

I think that it's neat that DST would toss something out like this. To be honest, I'd be suprised if all 200 sell. First it's large and if you place this by the standard version, you are donating a large section of shelf space. Secondly, I just think that this is not a "must have" for non collectors and it might only be for the harder core collectors at that.

#29 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thank you Alex for expressing my feeling about this. I guess this is what i get for being a faithfully customer of DST :(

22 ships in all. The only one i don't have is the gold 1701 :(

Now back to lurking in the shadows i go.

Soooo many people said that when the 1701 playmates came out. I know I did, but years later, I have them all.

#30 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

I like Mattel because they offer all of their exclusives online after.  Most of the time each are available for a reasonable amount of time especially the ones really sought after.  Hasbro in recent years has been horrible despite offering online.  They usually only last a few hours if that.  Id love to get this variant because I think its much cooler than the translucent version.  Hopefully there will be a way to obtain it for right around $60 plus shipping.

#31 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:19 AM

I don't believe we made extra to sell afterwards, but there may very well be some left if they don't sell out.

But everybody remember how eBay works. Somebody puts up an exclusive first, and they ask the most they think they could possibly get. If they don't get it, the price goes down. I highly doubt this ship will end up going for that much online.

If I were everybody, I would find out who's going to SDCC, and ask to make a trade. A lot of people will be there, surely somebody you know is going, from here or elsewhere.

#32 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hey all,

Well I for one will be trying to track one down. That's what I kinda hate having this completist attitude. It also doesn't help that I live in the UK. I will say though that I actually managed to get one if the DST Gold Enterprises through Forbidden Planet mail order and I'm over the moon. Sorry, not trying to rub it in.

Take care,
Matty-lad

#33 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:26 PM

So with these being limited to 200 are they going to be hand numbered as well?? and i assume maybe a SDCC sticker

#34 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

I knew there were other people that thought like me, thanks Alex and daddybot.  I wonder, does Rick from New Force comics go to SDCC? If he does, being a dealer, maybe he could pick up one for everyone on the forum that wants one, and pay him a fair markup for his trouble?

#35 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

I actually already spoke with Rick, first thing i did when i heard about it. He (as a dealer) doesnt get any special chance to get them ahead of time, and at the con he pretty much is glued to his table. He was going to have his wife get HIM one, and he was going to see about picking me up one, but then he was telling me that shipping from the Con is CRAZY Expensive. He said he send something like half that size last year from the con and it cost like 70 bux to ship it, i guess they gouge the hell out of ya at the con. So that woulda made the price for that ship just through the roof, that was if he could even GET a spare.

#36 Qcjoe

Qcjoe

• Members
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:scifi,comics,actionfigures,baseball,football

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Soooo many people said that when the 1701 playmates came out. I know I did, but years later, I have them all.

I remember going to toys r us and them always having a gold 1701 d.  I never did get it even when they went on clearance.

#37 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Someone posted to the Play Trek list that there are already listings on Ebay for these....the lowest is at 200 bucks, then there are two of them at 299 each....I mean seriously man. That's nuts!

#38 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Someone posted to the Play Trek list that there are already listings on Ebay for these....the lowest is at 200 bucks, then there are two of them at 299 each....I mean seriously man. That's nuts!

299.00 already doesn't surprise me. This is how business works in the eBay age. Scalpers look for opportunities like this, and companies that make small runs of sought after items just feed the frenzy. Businesses like exclusives to try to draw customers to their stores,and it works in regards to bluray and DVD set exclusives. One thing I don't like is international exclusives that are crazy expensive to get in the states. DST should hold back some of those ships to be sold through their website with a 1 per person limit.

#39 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Of course the first ones out of the gate are going to be crazy priced, then the crash after the stupid people get theirs.

#40 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

299.00 already doesn't surprise me. This is how business works in the eBay age. Scalpers look for opportunities like this, and companies that make small runs of sought after items just feed the frenzy. Businesses like exclusives to try to draw customers to their stores,and it works in regards to bluray and DVD set exclusives. One thing I don't like is international exclusives that are crazy expensive to get in the states. DST should hold back some of those ships to be sold through their website with a 1 per person limit.

RETAILERS like exclusives that draw customers to their stores. And while they don't want to be stuck with too many, they want enough to keep people coming and making purchases. That's why we did the translucent BoP for AFX, and it had to be a sizable run of ships to make the new electronics cost out.

We're a manufacturer, and we want people to be aware of our product line. But a new ship that does less than our other ships, is hard to see and is readily available through multiple channels... isn't exciting. If we'd done a regular run and offered it to retailers, I'm sure orders would have been diappointing. We wanted to do something special for Trek fans at SDCC, something that would get people talking about the line, so we decided to make this particular ship available only there.

And while a low run does get people talking, it also costs less to make than a big run, so there's another reason for us not to make too many. We're already paying for five other exclusives, a ton of giveaway items, plane tickets, hotel rooms and a booth at the show, so we didn't really want to make thousands of these things and ship them all to San Diego only to not sell them all and have to ship them back. Most of our exclusives are Minimates for a reason.

I've seen people say they'll stop collecting the line because of this, and while I understand that mentality, I'll just say that they'll be missing out on some much cooler stuff down the road. And the new people who discover the line because of the publicity will hopefully increase sales and make new ships more frequent or likely. Scalpers will always exist -- but I am willing to bet that there are fewer people scalping Trek ships than there are many other lines. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users