• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Okay.... Have been working hard on the Grand Lady of the Stars..... I have all the parts pre-painted and ready for lighting in sub assemblies....Here are some pics

I also did some of the decaling in "safe areas".... The areas that are going to be puttied, sanded, and airbrushed obviously have no decals.....

#22 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Nov 29 2012, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay.... Have been working hard on the Grand Lady of the Stars..... I have all the parts pre-painted and ready for lighting in sub assemblies....Here are some pics

I also did some of the decaling in "safe areas".... The areas that are going to be puttied, sanded, and airbrushed obviously have no decals.....

Thanks for the tip on the primer. Just picked up a can. Btw, can you explain your sticker method? I always mess up. Tips?

#23 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (kerowack @ Nov 30 2012, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the tip on the primer. Just picked up a can. Btw, can you explain your sticker method? I always mess up. Tips?

Okay...First make sure that your primer, paint and gloss cote is thoroughly dry ( wait like 2-3 days at least...its a good idea to gloss cote the area of the hull that decals will be applied to) Cut out your decals and see how you are going to position them on the hull.... Buy Testors Decal Setting Solution and also Testors Solvent Solution .... Dip the decal in warm water let it sit for 30-45 seconds..... apply the Setting solution to the area of the ship the decal is going to be applied to.... slide the decal slowly off the paper onto the set area..... when you have positioned it to your liking than put some Decal Setting solution on the top of the placed decal....when it dries ( like 15 minutes) add the Solvent Solution to the top of the decal..... repeat this procedure several times until the decals look like they are painted on...... allow several days to completely dry. Gloss cote over the decals to seal them in. Allow the gloss to dry....than apply dull cote to give it a proper appearance..... If you do all this...you will have an awesome ship !!! The decals will look great.

Hope this helps....

George

#24 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Okay.... I decided to add some patterns to the hull ( Like aztek ) I think it looks pretty good.... Kind of reminds me of the USS Defiant ( The Constitution Class from Enterprise "In a Mirror, Darkly".)

Here are some pics of what I have done so far....

#25 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:43 AM

*mind blown*

I almost forgot what an artist you are!

#26 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

Awesome job and thanks for the tips! I spent last night snipping off pieces of extra plastic and washing the parts. Can't decide on lighting yet. Will primer all parts today.

It's a simple build which makes me happy and the pieces lock nicely. Plus, it's do big that most of the parts are not to small for my clumsy hands.

#27 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks guys!

#28 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Dec 2 2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys!

I'm obsessed with this kit. Primed, painted and started to put in windows and lights(though I'm putting it on a coffee table so no electric). It's really a well engineered kit and I love the window options. My bridge is detailed nicely and drying right now. The only clear window on the whole ship will be above the bridge. I'm still really nervous about the decals. Do you use your finger to pull the decal or a tool. Do you brush the set on top of it after the decal dries?

#29 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (kerowack @ Dec 2 2012, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm obsessed with this kit. Primed, painted and started to put in windows and lights(though I'm putting it on a coffee table so no electric). It's really a well engineered kit and I love the window options. My bridge is detailed nicely and drying right now. The only clear window on the whole ship will be above the bridge. I'm still really nervous about the decals. Do you use your finger to pull the decal or a tool. Do you brush the set on top of it after the decal dries?

Glad you like it !!! Would love to see pictures ..... You can use your finger to slide the decal onto the surface of the hull..... Don't pull them off the sheet as this could damage them. Yes ...you can just brush on the set after the decal dries.....

Hope this helps....

#30 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Dec 4 2012, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Glad you like it !!! Would love to see pictures ..... You can use your finger to slide the decal onto the surface of the hull..... Don't pull them off the sheet as this could damage them. Yes ...you can just brush on the set after the decal dries.....

Hope this helps....

I'm basing my paint off of this guys build. Right. Ow it's a little too tan for my tastes, but I'm hoping the decals and the grey parts (I'm using three shades of gray) come together to tone it down. Either way, I lo the look of his finish and am following it pretty closely. Same paints and all!

http://www.therpf.co...c-heavy-150476/

#31 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Very nice .... there are many thoughts on the colors of the classic...so you can pretty much go in any direction...

#32 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Thanks for the decal tips! They went on like a charm and look great! I'm kicking myself because of one major screw up and that's that I switched the nacelle decals by accident (wife talking and doing two things at once).... They still look good, but it'll irk me from time to time. Next step...assembly! What glue do you use for the big pieces?

#33 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (kerowack @ Dec 6 2012, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the decal tips! They went on like a charm and look great! I'm kicking myself because of one major screw up and that's that I switched the nacelle decals by accident (wife talking and doing two things at once).... They still look good, but it'll irk me from time to time. Next step...assembly! What glue do you use for the big pieces?

I use testors model cement....it bonds the plastic ...just make sure the gluing area is free of paint as this will prevent proper cohesion

#34 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Dec 6 2012, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use testors model cement....it bonds the plastic ...just make sure the gluing area is free of paint as this will prevent proper cohesion

Thanks! How hard is it to take a decal off? I'm considering spending the 16 bucks and ordering a new sheet to fix my nacelle problem.

#35 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (kerowack @ Dec 6 2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! How hard is it to take a decal off? I'm considering spending the 16 bucks and ordering a new sheet to fix my nacelle problem.

Add a lot of solvent and you should be able to get it off...

#36 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Done....almost. Just have to add two replacement decals...but finished besides that! Still a bit beige in real life, but I successfully put it together and it's the centerpiece of my trek room. Thanks for the hel Prometheus!

http://m.flickr.com/...in/photostream/

#37 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (kerowack @ Dec 9 2012, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Done....almost. Just have to add two replacement decals...but finished besides that! Still a bit beige in real life, but I successfully put it together and it's the centerpiece of my trek room. Thanks for the hel Prometheus!

http://m.flickr.com/...in/photostream/

Wow.... That turned out beautiful! Great job kerowack... I'm glad I could help. :-)

#38 kerowack

kerowack

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Prometheus @ Dec 9 2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow.... That turned out beautiful! Great job kerowack... I'm glad I could help. :-)

Thanks man! It was fun, and you need to show your model when it's done. I've been following your progress at starship modeler as well....at least I think it's you.

#39 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (kerowack @ Dec 9 2012, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks man! It was fun, and you need to show your model when it's done. I've been following your progress at starship modeler as well....at least I think it's you.

Yes that's me on SSM....I will post more. Glad you had fun!

#40 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

Well....Its been a while since I have posted on this...but as of last night the grand lady is finished...I ended up not lighting her....there were some issues with the lighting kit... This version is my interpretation of what the 1701 looked like after her 5 year mission was complete....right before refit....I will post completed shots in a few hours....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users