• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#21 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

So long as it doesn't look like Orville, I'm fine with whatever they do. Forward, please.

#22 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:53 AM

That tears it -- BRING THEM ALL BACK!
Every single cast member of every 90's show!

Except Kes.  DO NOT BRING KES BACK.

It’s 20 years later, she’s long dead anyways.

Plus Jennifer Lien seems to have gone a bit insane.

#23 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:19 AM

So long as it doesn't look like Orville, I'm fine with whatever they do. Forward, please.

Well after nearly 10 years of continuous TOS retreads I'll be happy to have anything that moves forward. I don't have high hopes for the look of the show with those involved so it won't take too much to make me happy.

#24 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:29 AM

Plus Jennifer Lien seems to have gone a bit insane.

This is true... Its been at least 8 years or so but I was at the STLV and she came to do just signings... didn't talk to anyone, didn't do any Q/A... and people were told to not address her.  She came in signed things, and left... Not sure what happened, but I feel for her.

#25 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

A tremendous bit of news, one that I'm a little cautious of simply because Kurtzman does not have the best track record of all time with Trek.

But if it brings modern Trek out of TOS-era revisitation and revisionism, I'm all for it.

The bar is set soooo high with TNG, the expectations of fans really cannot be overstated. A blank-canvas show like ::snaps fingers:: -- what's it called, Discovery? -- could redraw Trek in whatever image, but a Picard-led show has to fit within some established canon.

Kinda curious about the format: Will this be "Just Picard: A One Man Show," or will some other former cast members be a part of a regular crew?

The "easy" way out of this is to do an Enterprise-E show -- that much is certain. I would not be against that in any form, even though it's the easy way out. That would be hard for the studio to whiff or wreck outright due to a show being staffed with (for instance) Star Wars people or comic book film adapters who saw like 3 TNG episodes, tops. And that route works with Stewart's age. That's kind of a fixed factor here -- I think such a show would have to be set after Nemesis, arguably. To his credit, Stewart has not aged that much.

#26 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

Lulz...didn't he do a stage production of A Christmas Carol where he acted every role? That's what it will be. Picard in his older years acting out every role to relive the last glory days before he hit the nursing home. Lolololol...

But seriously they could have him stuck in a Cardassian torture chamber for 5 seasons and I'd watch every minute of it!

#27 2thGuy

2thGuy

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:25 PM

Trek seems to enjoy being mired in the past.  JJ Trek, Discovery, and now, an almost 80 year old Patrick Stewart being brought back to resurrect the brand.  Is Trek devoid of any new ideas?  Memo to Trek hierarchy....do as your show's preface purports.....boldly go where no Trek has gone before.   

#28 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:47 AM

Trek seems to enjoy being mired in the past.  JJ Trek, Discovery, and now, an almost 80 year old Patrick Stewart being brought back to resurrect the brand.  Is Trek devoid of any new ideas?  Memo to Trek hierarchy....do as your show's preface purports.....boldly go where no Trek has gone before.   

"JJ Trek" and Discovery are both loaded with "new ideas." I'm curious as to what exactly you have in mind.

What would be your starting point? I'm guessing any existing characters would be off limits and it would have to be set after the Next Generation era as not to risk messing up canon, such as it is.

#29 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

Picard is Future Guy

#30 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:26 AM

Picard is Future Guy

Picard is the assistant director of section 31 and he calls himself Bullock now. deliver_by_damon1984-dc3o6bp.gif

#31 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:57 AM

How about something like...

"J.L. Picards Holistic Temporal Archaeological Detective Space Force: A Star Trek Story" 

thats gotta be sufficiently out there...  with a noted character tie in... but with a hook that allows canon to be retconned each episode!  :ninja:   :roflmao:

#32 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

As "the last chapter" of the TNG era I hope they don't screw this up with some Mirror Universe Picard stuff, ::sigh:: or "Picard was an alien this whole time," because that's gonna retroactively ruin the old TNG seasons for some people. I don't wanna jinx this, but there's a not-insignificant danger of that happening because a lot of the sci-fi showrunners these days are taking a full regimen of Crazy Pills.

I wonder if it's gonna be the same type of thing as Kirk in the TOS movies: an admiral in retirement itching to round up his old crew for some last adventure.

I'm really hoping the setting is just an older Picard on the Enterprise-E with a mix of old and new crew, X-Files-reboot-style that's popular now, but I think there's still room for some face-palmingly weird angle that we're just not imagining the studio going in but that could totally happen: Picard in Retirement and writing a book with flashbacks, Picard as a Quantum Leap time traveler lost in time, Tom Hardy as Yung Picard, or Picard as academy instructor. 

#33 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:25 AM

I know we've already had a "search for Spock" film once but I wouldn't mind another with Picard putting together a team to locate Ambassador Spock. 

#34 s8film40

s8film40

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 862 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:48 AM

I know we've already had a "search for Spock" film once but I wouldn't mind another with Picard putting together a team to locate Ambassador Spock. 

Well I guess I wouldn't put it past them, they don't seem to know how to make Star Trek anymore without it having a connection to Spock. While I'm excited to see Picard return and especially actual Picard versus some sort of reboot Picard, I'm really hoping he doesn't just become another crutch for them like Spock has been.

The new generation of producers is really making me long for the time when those creating Star Trek were gutsy enough to take an iconic franchise and pretty much abandon everything by setting their new show a hundred years apart and write all new characters without relying on the work of those who came before them.

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

We've kinda been in an age of reboots lately... spurred on I think by the success of BSG. But I guess DISCO isn't an outright reboot, which is the good bit, but even the idea that we've told lots of stories from the perspective of exploring via a space ship... so now lets try and stick in a more localized area and explore that was kinda gutsy for Trek.  I would suggest maybe they could take that concept all the way back and make a show like "Federation HQ" where they basically are just on earth... the thing being is there is always plenty to explore about our own humanity and ship, while integral to TOS, isn't always necessary... I'll be off ducking under my desk from everything that will be thrown at me now!

#36 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

Well I guess I wouldn't put it past them, they don't seem to know how to make Star Trek anymore without it having a connection to Spock. While I'm excited to see Picard return and especially actual Picard versus some sort of reboot Picard, I'm really hoping he doesn't just become another crutch for them like Spock has been.

The new generation of producers is really making me long for the time when those creating Star Trek were gutsy enough to take an iconic franchise and pretty much abandon everything by setting their new show a hundred years apart and write all new characters without relying on the work of those who came before them.

I don't see using Picard in the Spock capacity as a reboot as much as a passing of the torch, which has been going on since TNG debuted with McCoy. (They've already used Picard to do so with DS9.) Of course I'd prefer a full season over a cameo in such a case.

I do agree with sticking to the show's mission statement and simply jumping ahead with new characters.

#37 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:15 PM

... make a show like "Federation HQ" where they basically are just on earth... the thing being is there is always plenty to explore about our own humanity and ship, while integral to TOS, isn't always necessary... I'll be off ducking under my desk from everything that will be thrown at me now!

I was about to suggest a half-hour comedy in the documentary style of "The Office." Picard dealing with Federation red tape and green Starfleet cadets (literally and figuratively) could be hilarious, especially given Stewart's familiarity with the role. Just let him improvise.

#38 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:21 PM

Well... shucks... just make American Dad... but like "Federation Dad"... Picard is already in that!

#39 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:26 PM

https://ew.com/tv/20...ries-different/

Sounds good to me. Different Trek shows can have different flavors. TNG and VOY were so similar there was almost no sense in bothering with the latter. It may as well have been a continuation of its predecessor save one decent feature film.

With "Picard," I'm looking forward to something unexpected yet satisfying.

#40 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 06:52 PM

https://ew.com/tv/20...ries-different/

Sounds good to me. Different Trek shows can have different flavors. TNG and VOY were so similar there was almost no sense in bothering with the latter. It may as well have been a continuation of its predecessor save one decent feature film.

With "Picard," I'm looking forward to something unexpected yet satisfying.

It does sound good so far. However I completely disagree about TNG and Voyager. They were very different and I actually prefer rewatching Voyager more than TNG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users