164 replies to this topic

#61 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

My D-7 and Transporter Room arrived today. Love the packaging. Now it's time to rip those puppies open and build me some Trek!!!!! Not sure about the bridge set being released this Friday but you never know. MB Facebook page said that all should be out by August.

#62 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:23 AM

So guys I've ordered the bridge play set on Amazon!!! Should be here in the next couple of weeks. Anyone else collecting this line?

#63 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:51 AM

So guys I've ordered the bridge play set on Amazon!!! Should be here in the next couple of weeks. Anyone else collecting this line?

I'll be getting any ships they release, with the exception of the big Enterprise since I can't afford it.

I'm not a big fan of LEGO room play sets in general, so I probably won't get any of them.

#64 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:18 AM

I'll be getting just about everything too. The big Enterprise is nice but might be a pass for now. Everything else is a must have for me. I hope they will do packs with figures-only so we can double-up on favorite characters and get figures that might otherwise not be produced. That they are dropping Easter egg characters like Nomad in with the bridge set shows that the designers are hardcore fans and gives me hope that we will maybe see some of our fondest toy wishes come true if the sales are there!

#65 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:44 PM

I've gotten everything that has been released and love it!! I just hope the line continues past these initial offerings. They are offering some kind of figure packs. Just not sure what it is yet:

http://www.entertain...4A#.V1SAt0U8LCQ

#66 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

That's a promising lead. I was thinking it might have been the Guardian of Forever or the Engineering set but it looks to be priced and coded similarly to the Monster High and Halo bubble-carded figures. I can't wait to see these! It would be a great way to get Chapel and Rand as well.

#67 trekhunter1701

trekhunter1701

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 03:13 PM

Just saw on Amazon that the Day of the Dove and Guardian of Forever sets are now available. They're $15.99 each.

#68 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

I like what I'm seeing with this line, even if I still hesitate.  While I still think LEGO has higher quality bricks, now that I've got several TMNT sets aimed toward both collectors and kids I admit that the detail of their minifigs beats LEGO hands down (they are basically like little action figures with hyper-articulation for their size...though again the plastic is not quite as nice as LEGO) and the small details in their construction sets often surpass what you would get from LEGO (for one thing, they now paint their details on bricks instead of using annoying stickers, and they often use cool effects in their plastic itself to give shine or glitter etc).   I will probably succumb soon and buy all the TOS sets/minis, maybe excluding the ships though.

#69 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:32 PM

I couldn't agree with you more about the Mega Bloks minifigs Whirlygig; LEGO's bricks feel sturdier, but Mega Bloks has minifigs that put the ones from LEGO to shame; I was very impressed with my first Mega Bloks set about five years ago that had painted on detail, articulated torsos, (something LEGO does not have,) and generally all–around more articulated minifigs. I also find it funny that Mega Bloks is now painting their detail onto the bricks while LEGO has cheaped out with stickers on various lines, which I also find irritating. You're also right about Mega Bloks using cool effects in their plastic itself, and I know some people criticize them for it, but I also like that they're not afraid to do set–specific pieces to really make something look distinctly from a specific show or movie. As soon as I get some cash set aside, hopefully before September, I fully intend to pick up the Mega Bloks line as I really want to see it continue beyond TOS and to become a mainstay in the world of Trek toys. I'm very happy with it so far though, and much happier than I was with Hasbro's JJ–verse Kre–O a few years back.

#70 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

The Enterprise is up for pre order on Amazon for..... $249.99 😮. Might have to wait until Christmas.

#71 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

So... After seeing the amazing job The Smithsonian have done on THE Starship Enterprise I bit the bullet and almost £300.00 later (due to things we shall not discuss here...) I have pre-ordered the Mega Bloks USS Enterprise.

My feeling is this piece will be the must have item from everything being offered as part of the 50th celebration of Star Trek.

Very excited! Now all I need is enough money to go and see the real deal.

#72 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

Well as I suspected, I caved and bought all the sets released so far. Just put together the bridge tonight.  Very nice set!  Will assemble the others ASAP.  Mine came with 2 Uhuras...I think all of the first runs will.  The first one they made had the wrong Starfleet emblem symbol on her uniform (command) so they inserted a fixed one into the box in its own bag after catching the error...

I admit I am now tempted to bite on that $250 Enterprise...but I already have definite plans to lay down the same amount for the upcoming Technodrome so I still think I will be able stick to my guns and resist...for now.  I am glad the minifigs are dress uniform Kirk/Spock variants so we didn't have to buy it to get the full crew in normal uniforms.

#73 sharpe

sharpe

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

Wasn't sure whether we'd get stock of the bridge set in Australia. Got sick of waiting, caved and ordered the set from Amazon. The shipping cost is a bit exxy but eh.

Should be getting it maybe this week or next week. Looking forward to putting it together. As a kid I always wanted star trek lego, and would try to build a bridge myself.

Pity the bridge is only 'half' the bridge, with the view screen etc missing. Also hoping there'll be another way to get the McCoy figure without getting the Guardian set. 

Hoping there'll be other sets to come. Maybe something from a piece of the action? Squire of gothos? So many possibilities.

#74 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:52 AM

Id like to see the Galileo shuttle as a set, I'd like to see the view screen of the bridge too, a set from a piece of the action would be great

But I'd love them to start some TNG sets. The Enterprise D would be incredible at the size of the original E. And then the bridge, Goddard, planet scapes, Borg cube interiors, engineering...

#75 sharpe

sharpe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

Id like to see the Galileo shuttle as a set, I'd like to see the view screen of the bridge too, a set from a piece of the action would be great

But I'd love them to start some TNG sets. The Enterprise D would be incredible at the size of the original E. And then the bridge, Goddard, planet scapes, Borg cube interiors, engineering...

Oh yeah Galileo would be awesome. 

Would love other bridges. Enterprise D would certainly be welcome. Also wouldn't mind an NX-01 bridge. 

If including all other treks, top of my list would certainly be the refit bridge and/or Enteprise-A. That particular bridge seems neglected in toy lines. Enterprise D would be cool but i've already got that sorted with the playmates bridge and the innerspace enterprise set.

Wish i'd bought the guardian and engineering sets with the bridge. McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, and an extra kirk to put on my work desk would have been nice.

#76 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:07 PM

Megabloks sure needs to offer the mini-figs single carded like they do with Halo, Monster High, etc. or they could offer single figures like TMNT boxed. I just want multiples of everything!

#77 sharpe

sharpe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

I've built half the bridge so far. Was building it last night while watching some original trek episodes. So far, so good, except for one niggling issue.

I'm disappointed that the Captain's chair doesn't swivel like it does on the show. It would have been quite easy to implement, and all the other chairs on the mega bloks bridge swivel. 

#78 sharpe

sharpe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

I've completed the bridge. It's pretty good overall. It'd be better if it was the full bridge rather than looking like a film set. And again, the non-swivel captain's chair still irks me. Also annoying that it doesn't come with the whole bridge crew. Even just including chekov in the set would have filled it out nicely. Seems like it's one minifig short.

I can recommend it, though after paying for shipping to melbourne it worked out to ~$110 AUD, which may or may not have been worth it compared to some lego sets that are better quality - e.g., I bought a UCS Slave 1 (Boba fett's ship) Star Wars Lego a couple of days ago for $200 AUD, and that contains almost 2000 pieces and four minifigs.

20160710_132546_zpsp1shseyj.jpg

#79 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for sharing the pic!  I think Mega Bloks knows that their minifigs are their claim to fame, and spread them out over all their sets to entice you to buy them all.  But they do a pretty good job of keeping it logical and not over-doing that aspect like I feel LEGO sometimes has done.  I didn't even think of the fact that the captain's chair can't swivel.  That seems like it might be a pretty easy mod if you have some other construction sets lying around.  I can think of some parts I have that would work.

It's a pretty basic set, parts-wise, but the painted on details really sell it...right down to the dedication plaque.  Also this is the only set released thus far that has paint detailing on its accessories, the tricorder/phaser/communicator from the other sets are all just solid black unpainted plastic.

Here are two pics I took (for my Instagram) after I built mine...click on them for full res!

20160702_111158.jpg

20160702_111308.jpg

#80 sharpe

sharpe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the pics,  Whirlygig.

It looks much better with the full compliment of bridge staff. I may have to pick up some other sets unless they bring out the minifigs by themselves. Would like Chekov, McCoy and Scotty.

You can also see that the pieces aren't nearly as refined or as high quality as lego in some of the pics. It's not as apparent in real life, though. Overall I'm actually impressed with how good it is compared to lego. 

Their minifigs are indeed much better than lego minifigs, and make them look quite old fashioned in comparison. I also like them much more than star trek minimates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users