Photo

McFarlane Toys Gets Entire Star Trek Licence!

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#41 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Has there been any comment from DST on facebook or twitter?

#42 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Nope.

I tweeted them, but they haven't answered.

#43 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

Cool I've made a separate thread on the matter, so we don't let it take over this one.

#44 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:24 PM

Ok after giving this line some thought I'm cautiously optimistic. McFarlane is inconsistent across lines where articulation is concerned. He can have statues and Super articulation right next to one another and that's in the same license and with figures in the same waves. I like my figures to have full life-like range of motion. I do not like when a figure has articulation under a robe are cloak and that is rendered useless by stiff unyielding plastic either. I like ankle rocker joints which allow for more posabilty. If McFarlane can strive to emulate the current NECA standard of articulation I think we will all be very pleased.

#45 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

My couple Macfarlane poseable figures are pretty nicely detailed, but their poseability is definitely crap.

I'd prefer them either release their statue like Color Tops, which typically have pretty fitting poses for the characters.

Or launch a new style of poseable figure, using Star Trek as a launch product.

Personally I'd like the Color Tops, but I know a lot of collectors want to pose things themselves.

#46 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:03 AM

Maybe I missed it looking through this thread... but did DST loose their license? They give licenses to multiple vendors all the time. Regardless, I think this would be the end of Select Trek for sure... but If I were DST I'd want to be able to make and sell items they had already produced and that are always in demand like basic Trek Tek and some ships. 

#47 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:15 AM

DST lost at least one category; 7" figures.

#48 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:28 AM

I know how this will play out. Paramount will force them produce fogures from a unknown little watched show in its initial season. Without a following those toys will clog the pegs making retail think there is no demand for the older more established shows. Enterprise all over again

#49 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:32 AM

Trek needs Black series Marvel select treatment

#50 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

Trek needs someone who cares about it to remember what worked and make it work again, and who is in a position of power to do so...

It needs that in toys, TV, and film...

Hasn't Seth MacFarlane tried maybe?  Something?  Maybe Orville is him saying, fine, you won't let me have the keys, I'll go do something better than you ever will and then maybe you'll give me the keys.  

MacFarlane & McFarlane...bring it home for us!  :P

#51 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

Trek needs someone who cares about it to remember what worked and make it work again, and who is in a position of power to do so... 

Amen to that.

#52 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

According to the post on trekmovie.com Mcfarlane will be doing role playing too.

So... even if all they do is make another TOS Phaser and Communicator... I'll get them... just because they'll be slightly different!

As for action figures... as others have said, they could be good... or bad... the thing about Mcfarlane, is they still fill a boutique kinda niche... you see their stuff in adult collector places and not so much in big retail, so in that regard they are kinda like DST... but I think DST really relies more on its parent Diamond to put its stuff in comic shops. 

#53 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Every Target I've been to has carried Macfarlane's Walking Dead figures, and even their Assassin's Creed figures. There's a good chance their Trek figures will show up as well. 

I don't see DST products in the big box stores like that, except for very recently when my Target got the DST TOS Enterprise and Delorean. But I have yet to see them at other Target's.

#54 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

When it comes to Macfarlane. Target carries them, Walgreens carries them ,Walmart gets exclusive stuff every now and then and Toys R Us carries all of their stuff as well. So I don't think finding the Star Trek stuff will be a problem.

#55 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

Maybe I missed it looking through this thread... but did DST loose their license? They give licenses to multiple vendors all the time. Regardless, I think this would be the end of Select Trek for sure... but If I were DST I'd want to be able to make and sell items they had already produced and that are always in demand like basic Trek Tek and some ships. 

As I said in the main thread Im taking a see and wait until we get firm news.  and yeah I could see them keeping part of the licence for Starship Legends at least.

#56 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

I wonder if there is a license floating around out there for 3 3/4" action figures? I say so because I got the Funko Twin Peaks boxed figure set last week and they are really well done figures. Much better than Reaction were. I know Funko had mention there was to be a wave of TNG figures before Reaction went back to the company Super Seven. If done as well as the Twin Peaks figures, I'd certainly like to see some for Star Trek. I don't think McFarlane has done any other 3 3/4" figures since Prince of Persia, so there should be no rivalry if another company got that licensing deal.

#57 mynameschris

mynameschris

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:36 AM

Its most likely going to be figures and role play from the new series which isn't a bad thing (decent Phaser, Communicator and Tricorder for the cosplayers) but I'm hoping they don't go with the obvious pattern of going for TOS as its been done fairly recently by DST.

Assuming DST's TNG Phaser still comes out if I were a new company looking to put units out in that area I would be looking at the First Contact/DS9/Voyager Phaser and Tricorder, thats just me though as I was looking forward to hopefully some Voyager items from DST in the near (decade or so) future.

#58 JonWes

JonWes

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

It'd be nice if they threw in a surprise or two after Kirk and Picard. I know it'll probably be Data and Spock or something but throwing fans of the other series a bone here or there might be a nice signal it won't be DST part two. But there are reasons DST has kept to the safest character choices, of course. It's not like McFarlane will be immune to that. I'm kind of hopeful that Discovery will take off in such a way it'll raise more desire for Trek figures in general. That's really what Trek merch needs, something Enterprise didn't accomplish.

#59 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:05 AM

I think some part of the reason the Trek figures were so diverse and numerous in the 90's had to do with the fact that TNG thru VOY did a good job of referring to one another, and even back to TOS and the movies.  Those crossover episodes which actually included the same characters played by the same actors from other series helped it to feel, even with TOS's style and camp incongruities, like a cohesive whole.  And when something feels like a cohesive whole, you are much more compelled to cross lines with your collecting, too.

It's easier for me to say "I don't need/want any Abrams-verse figures" when I don't feel like they are part of any cohesive whole.  And you will say, "but they had old Spock!"  And yes, they did, I even almost bought him alone from Playmates, but, you know what I mean.  ENT waited too long to try and do that...but, ENT also missed the boat on the figure line that was going at the time.  Perhaps the single worst thing about the time setting of Discovery is that about the only thing it can refer to is ENT...and I doubt it will because too many people have poor feelings toward it.  Even if there is an appearance here or there by Sarek or Spock, it's no longer the same actors.  I don't think being the same character is as strong a compulsion to cross figure collecting lines as if it is the same likeness as well.

Of course there are many other factors that are playing into the crappy toy situation.  Not the least of which, what do kids need to be roped into Star Trek for now that all of their comic books are on TV?  What do they need TV for now that they can live inside of a video game and/or Facebook?  What do they need *toys* for?

But my point is...I'm not sure how Discovery will raise interest in other Trek series figures if it never refers to them and if the MO seems to be "no, we're tired of being attached to pre-existing characters/canon".  Hopefully it finds a way to feel a cohesive part of the universe, because it will also be a more interesting series to me if it does.

#60 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:43 PM

I would love this line to work. I see many names here who were on the old AA board here. You have seen the problems of that line. Ever changing scales between waves and show lines. The wonky Data legs. The cancelled wave 5 of TOS and Borgs.

McFarlane has great likenesses. Thier Walking Dead figures look great. But the plastic is so brittle I had a Michonne sword snap right into taking it out of the package. That has me worried. Also articulation. I held off years from buying the Select figures and in the end only bought them for the background pieces. So I have to wait to see. These should be at San Diego Comic-Con I think

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users