Photo

Wave 5 pushed back... NO WAIT IT'S HERE!!!!

• Please log in to reply
392 replies to this topic

#381 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:58 AM

QUOTE (Jedigreedo @ Feb 6 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I didn't think the O'Brien head looked so horrible until that comparison pic, LoT. Looks like they really should have just used that, as it even appears that it would have been more scale to the body. TNG O'Brien's head now looks so...balloony.

Yep, it sure is balloony... and longnecked...

I've already shortened the neck a bit. It helps the overall look and improves the figure slightly.

LoT

#382 DS9_Fan

DS9_Fan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:17 AM

Would a body swap onto the Data body make him look a bit better. I've got a spare one that I was thinking of doing that with.

#383 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

You know.... the other thing it shows is that the figures look better (IMO) with more of an "Action" pose like the T&T O'brien.

Just a nice "manly" stance IMO.

And yeah... I actually think TNG O'brien would look better on a Data body...

Of course, If I'm building my Dream TNG O'brien It would consist of Data Upper body, Sisko Lower body and T&T head.

Wait...

Why did I buy the TNG version??!!

#384 LocutusOfTuborg

LocutusOfTuborg

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Feb 6 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why did I buy the TNG version??!!

Hehehehehehe.... wink.gif Same thinking here...

DS9_Fan,
I too think, that the Data body will work... its not so... hm... Wesleylike... as DST's choice for O'Brien's body.

LoT

#385 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

I guess I am the only one that likes the way the new Obrien looks. I actualy prefer the Wesley body. It looks like the pieces fit together better whereas the Data body has this weird thing where the legs connect to the hips (they just dont look like the fit right). If anyone is looking to unload a TNG Obrien I may be up for a trade. LOL.

#386 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

I know what you mean. It's the hip bit, and I like the Sisko Legs better. This is another subtle difference between them and the TNG Data legs (which are the same on Wesley). If you put the Sisko legs on the Wesly hip part, it's doesn't quite look right.

I'm honestly thinking about just re-molding some thigh bits for the wesley, becuase I'm still not happy with what I have with him.

I might just leave the TNG O'brien alone and make my self one using the bits I described for my display.

#387 Thomas E. Johnson

Thomas E. Johnson

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

TNG O'Brien head sculpt is suppose to look a bit younger I think. spock2.gif

#388 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

I got my series 5 figures in today. I like the Obrien, Nemesis Beverly looks fine too, but i am deeply disapointed with the RO and somewhat with Ogawa. Ro's face looks great, but she seems to have one leg longer than the other and it makes her look like she is handicapped. The parts that hold the arms to the torso are red, instead of black, so it looks stupid. Ogawa has sorta the same leg problem, not as severe, but has trouble standing. Why does DST make these female figures with the legs so close together that they cant stand up? Seems like i have at least 3 female DST Star Trek figures that seem to have a longer leg and stand slouched to one side. Anyone know what to do about this problem? Would a leg swap with another figure take care of it or is it a problem with the hip joint?

#389 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:21 PM

Sometimes it's the feet. TWOK Uhrua had the wrong foot, and swapping it with one from the Saavik figure fixed that problem.

My TWOK McCoy's foot wasn't inserted correctly and caused a similar problem until I fixed it.

But I've not seen that on the basic Bev lower body like your talking about. My Ro stands exactly the way she's supposed to.

You could try boil her and resetting the legs in more a stance. Get some Ice water to freeze it into the position you like!

#390 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Feb 6 2009, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sometimes it's the feet. TWOK Uhrua had the wrong foot, and swapping it with one from the Saavik figure fixed that problem.

My TWOK McCoy's foot wasn't inserted correctly and caused a similar problem until I fixed it.

But I've not seen that on the basic Bev lower body like your talking about. My Ro stands exactly the way she's supposed to.

You could try boil her and resetting the legs in more a stance. Get some Ice water to freeze it into the position you like!

I have never attempted changing parts on these figures before. Do you emmerse the whole figure in boiling water or just the part you want to change? Does this damage the paint at all? I can see that i am going to have to begin painting and swapping limbs if i am going to be satisfied with my figures on my shelf due to sloppy paint apps and misshapen limbs. I think i will use a extra green tunic Kirk i have as my guinea pig to make sure i dont ruin the first figure i try swapping limbs with, Kirk is expendable!

#391 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Feb 7 2009, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have never attempted changing parts on these figures before. Do you emmerse the whole figure in boiling water or just the part you want to change? Does this damage the paint at all? I can see that i am going to have to begin painting and swapping limbs if i am going to be satisfied with my figures on my shelf due to sloppy paint apps and misshapen limbs. I think i will use a extra green tunic Kirk i have as my guinea pig to make sure i dont ruin the first figure i try swapping limbs with, Kirk is expendable!

Yeah starting with something that is expendable is a good idea. For the most part the paint is not affected, but some apps, like the paint on the rubber tunic TOS figures will rub off more easily when heated.

I've had one or two figures that slightly discolor with repeated application to heat / ice. Typically I try to just heat the area I want to dismantle, but for some internal joints it's sometimes easier to just plop the entire figure into a pot of boiling water.

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing when they aren't the way you want them but many issue can be easily fixed!

#392 Kassle

Kassle

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

Ro looks pretty great. I hope they use the same scan for Admiral Cain in the BSG line up (aside from the Bajoran nose, of course!).

O'Brien is really on the thin side. He just never looked like that, IMO.

It is VERY cool to have Ogawa, but I have never been a fan of the smile. A half smile, maybe, but she just looks a tad too ecstatic to me.

I actually like the Beverly quite a bit. The paint apps are WAY better, and the hair issue doesn't bother me in the slightest. In fact, I think the hairpiece on the prototypes is sort of ugly (even if it is more accurate), so I'm alright with the screw up.

#393 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (VulcanFanatic @ Feb 6 2009, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does DST make these female figures with the legs so close together that they cant stand up? Seems like i have at least 3 female DST Star Trek figures that seem to have a longer leg and stand slouched to one side. Anyone know what to do about this problem? Would a leg swap with another figure take care of it or is it a problem with the hip joint?

Aren't they sculpted that way? I know the TNG Beverly was SUPPOSED to have that stance and i assumed the other females were then modeled after that. I have, however, had trouble with Ro and her stance. A little sticky tack goes a long way though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users