• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 STPlayMatesCollector

STPlayMatesCollector

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

I have been making custom Star Trek figures now using the Playmates range. Here you will find some of my work:

https://www.facebook...74708654&type=3

This has resulted in me now having a load of spare parts that I will not use so I want to suggest that those of you like me, who make customs using these parts, if you are looking for parts we can offer stuff to save money and/or figures.

If You are looking for anything then please email me and maybe we can help each other

#2 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Saw your post after my failed attempt at customizing a playmates trek figure. Can I ask what is the best way for swapping heads, arms, legs and such? I remember when I was a kid I just took a knife, cut and then glued for a swap...I wasn't satisfied. I then tried "boil and pop", but that discolored the plastic! How is it done?! Lol and do you have a lower torso from a Generations Captain Kirk? I tried to make a ST6 Captain Spock........failed.

#3 Lord Mudd

Lord Mudd

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Collecting 1/18 scale action figures: Star Trek, sci fi, and superheroes- Warhammer.

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Playmates figures don't always like to cooperate with boil and pop. Best method is to remove the head from the figure you want to use first. Boil the water, remove from heat, then insert figure head down so that only head and shoulders are submerged for about 2 minutes. Hold the figure and pull the head out. Then repeat this with the head you want to use so that it is still soft when you go to insert it in the new body. If it just won't go in, you can try shaving the edges off of the bottom of the post to give it a bit of a point, then put it back in hot water to soften it again.

CCC.

#4 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

I'll try that instead of submerging the whole figure next time. Should the same method be used for removing the waist and legs from the torso?

#5 STPlayMatesCollector

STPlayMatesCollector

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

With mine I generally split the figures but I will try the Boil and Pop next time and see how it goes.

As for getting the water to a good temperature. I use hot water from the tap and then microwave that water for 2 minutes. This seems to make it not too hot to melt the plastic and discolour the paint and not too cool so it will do nothing useful.

I have loads of Generations Kirk legs as I like to make my figures articulate and was unhappy with Playmates Generations range for this reason. The big benefit however was getting Kirks, Chekovs and a Scotty (along with a Movie Series Saavik) I have all the parts to make a movie uniform classic crew which I am in the process of building and painting. Also hope to make some support characters in Movie uniforms (Tuvok from 'Flashback' and and Capt Terrell from WOK).

#6 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

Do you happen to have a pair of Generations Kirk legs that you are willing to part with?? I botched making a Captain Spock.....in the microwave....let's just say his bottom half isn't pretty.

#7 dukeman3ca

dukeman3ca

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 04:45 AM

I know this was along time ago, but did you ever get the Generation Kirk Legs?  I do have a pair.  I made a Captain Sulu but I gave him legs that would bend (I wanted to see if it would help him sit down, it kind of did lol) 

#8 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:13 PM

Actually, I do not and ironically I just came across the box my shelves projects are in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users