• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#41 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:03 PM

I know people here have been apprehensive about the animated series "Low Decks", but Wow!  Kurtzman had this to say about Mike McMahan... the writer for the series. 

The man is committed. He's brilliantly funny and knows every inch of every Trek episode; He writes with the pure, joyful heart of a true fan. 

I hope this is shades of Manny Coto... a writer that understands and knows real trek and delights in building upon its canon. 

#42 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 07:41 AM

It does sound good so far. However I completely disagree about TNG and Voyager. They were very different and I actually prefer rewatching Voyager more than TNG.

As far as I was concerned, TNG should have just continued with new characters and a refreshed cast. Bounce anyone too expensive to keep, "promote" the rest, and mix in the Maquis with the crew of the 1701-D after it's lost in space. Shake things up.

And for crying' out loud, bring back an Enterprise that looks like it's been through some serious modifications after seven years away from Federation territory.

#43 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

Some neat news lately about the show, which may or may not be called Star Trek Destiny: The series will deal with Picard as a changed man after the destruction of Romulus in the Hobus supernova, which was a prime universe event shown in Star Trek 2009.

This reminds me that Maurice Hurley was gonna destroy Romulus in season 3 by the Borg, but before the Borg wiped out the Romulan civilization they managed to destroy one cube, and Picard was going to have to figure out how they did it. (Do you get chills just reading this?) That would have been something. But Hurley left before season 3 and BoBW.

To be clear, the show will take place in the prime universe, and as Stewart himself mentioned Picard would be different.

Overall, this is the most excited I've been for anything Trek related in the last 20 years. Some recent comments by Kurtzman and Stewart suggest that we could get an Old Man Picard series, similar to the last Wolverine film. I hate to drag comics stuff into this, but that was a pretty cool movie simply because it didn't dwell on the superhero aspects of it and simply presented a human story in a very personal way.

#44 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:48 PM

The destruction of Romulus and potential collapse of the Romulan Star Emprire has so many great story opportunities.

Really looking forward to this series.

#45 Nigel

Nigel

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:04 PM

The destruction of Romulus and potential collapse of the Romulan Star Emprire has so many great story opportunities.

Will it have TNG Klingons or Discovery Klingons I wonder? I hope this show does well. They say it will be a "different Picard" I am not sure what they mean besides him being older and in a different occupation.

#46 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

Will it have TNG Klingons or Discovery Klingons I wonder? I hope this show does well. They say it will be a "different Picard" I am not sure what they mean besides him being older and in a different occupation.

Since its the new design, it'll no doubt have the design from Discovery. Probably the tweaked design for season 2 that has hair. 

They look pretty much the same now as old TNG Klingons, so I don't see an issue. 

#47 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:55 PM

Not sure why Romulus would have any Klingons but I'm down for multiple flavors; TOS, TMP, TNG, DIS, whatever.  B)

And I was hoping the loss of Ambassador Spock in the Prime Universe would be addressed in a future film. Maybe this series will tackle it by having Zachary Quinto's Spock show up just to let Jean-Luc know what happened. 

#48 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

Not sure why Romulus would have any Klingons but I'm down for multiple flavors; TOS, TMP, TNG, DIS, whatever.  B)

And I was hoping the loss of Ambassador Spock in the Prime Universe would be addressed in a future film. Maybe this series will tackle it by having Zachary Quinto's Spock show up just to let Jean-Luc know what happened. 

If they follow anything from Countdown other then the destruction of Romulus, the Klingon's could make a move for Romulan territory after the fall of the Empire, and be a source for conflict in the series. 

#49 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

That would make sense. How beholden is Trek to publishing these days? I know they've tried in the past to maintain a single, official continuity. Either way, a good idea is a good idea.

Then again, Romulans aren't gone. Like the Vulcans in the Kelvin timeline, they've colonized. Would they defend their territory even if it didn't have the resources it once did?

#50 Damon1984

Damon1984

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

It's a good concept. I just don't have faith in the people involved to pull it off in any satisfying way. :(

#51 Alteran195

Alteran195

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

That would make sense. How beholden is Trek to publishing these days? I know they've tried in the past to maintain a single, official continuity. Either way, a good idea is a good idea.

Then again, Romulans aren't gone. Like the Vulcans in the Kelvin timeline, they've colonized. Would they defend their territory even if it didn't have the resources it once did?

Hobus may have destroyed multiple systems before Spock stopped it, so they could have suffered a good amount of losses depending on where the Hobus system is in the Empire. 

Having a war between the Klingons and surviving Romulans, with the Federation on the sidelines trying to deal with the refugee situation and not get actively involved in the war could be interesting. 

Picard would be a good choice to try and find a diplomatic solution given his relationship with the Klingons, and his actions in Nemesis earning the respect of the Romulans. 

#52 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

Ambassador Picard would make an interesting successor to Ambassador Spock.

#53 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:09 PM

It's a good concept. I just don't have faith in the people involved to pull it off in any satisfying way. :(

Yeah... Kurtzman hasn't convinced me he's not a hack yet... actually I kinda think of him as such... from the writing and directing perspective... maybe producing is his real forte.

#54 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:36 PM

If Patrick Stewart is excited, I'm excited. 

http://sciencefictio...pcoming-series/

#55 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

I'm suddenly reminded it's been 17 years since Nemesis:o

http://sciencefictio...ly-three-years/

#56 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:54 AM

Scroll down to the sentence surrounded by bold "***" to see potentially new information regarding this series if you want to skip my other comments.

It does sound good so far. However I completely disagree about TNG and Voyager. They were very different and I actually prefer rewatching Voyager more than TNG.

I agree with you completely; VGR and TNG are really two different beasts, and I also prefer VGR. They have enough similarities that they're conflated more than I would like though.

I hope this is shades of Manny Coto... a writer that understands and knows real trek and delights in building upon its canon. 

I'm admittedly still apprehensive about that animated series, (and admittedly more interested in the one for kids heading to Nickelodeon,) but those comments about McMahan do give me a slightly bit of hope. I'm still very much "Team Manny Coto" though, and do hope that he's considered for the production staff again if (or should I say when?) there's another round of Game of Thrones style beheadings behind the scenes. For crying out loud, this is the guy who took the turd that was ENT and polished it until it was mistaken for gold! I wish he had been the first person brought back when they ousted Fuller. (Heck, The Orville has even made me optimistic about Brannon Braga again, and that wasn't an easy task.)

As far as I was concerned, TNG should have just continued with new characters and a refreshed cast. Bounce anyone too expensive to keep, "promote" the rest, and mix in the Maquis with the crew of the 1701-D after it's lost in space. Shake things up.

While I would have been fine with seeing a "TNG Phase II" if you will, VGR was not that show, nor would I ever have wanted VGR to be that show. The beauty of TNG was that it was completely open–ended, much like a police procedural in a way. There's always another crook to catch, and always another planet to explore. The beauty of VGR was that it had a finite goal: get back to Earth. Both were shows about exploration, but one was about diplomacy while the other was about survival in a land where you might never see your home again.

Some neat news lately about the show, which may or may not be called Star Trek Destiny: The series will deal with Picard as a changed man after the destruction of Romulus in the Hobus supernova, which was a prime universe event shown in Star Trek 2009.

This reminds me that Maurice Hurley was gonna destroy Romulus in season 3 by the Borg, but before the Borg wiped out the Romulan civilization they managed to destroy one cube, and Picard was going to have to figure out how they did it. (Do you get chills just reading this?) That would have been something. But Hurley left before season 3 and BoBW.

I'm not sure whether I love or hate the title Star Trek: Destiny. On one hand it's another single–word title, and one that's used to death regularly, but on the other, it does sort of seem fitting for this particular series. If it's named after a ship, I'm not sure how I feel about a U.S.S. Destiny, although oddly enough, I could sort of see it working for a Klingon vessel named I.K.S. Destiny.

I never new about Maurice Hurley's idea, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand having the Borg wipe out the Romulans would have been interesting, on the other, it would have completely prevented so many interesting storylines in TNG from ever being told.

Me too, specifically for the reason you've cited. The dissolution of the Romulan Star Empire opens up so many opportunities for Trek beyond where it is right now. If this series does well, I'm hoping we can get back to a proper show that moves forward instead of tinkering with the 23rd century stuff constantly.

If they follow anything from Countdown other then the destruction of Romulus, the Klingon's could make a move for Romulan territory after the fall of the Empire, and be a source for conflict in the series. 

I'm definitely curious to see what's kept from Countdown. My understanding is that according to Abrams, it was supposed to be treated as either canon or semi–canon, although that flies in the face of how Trek canon has worked. On the other hand, I thought Kurtzman and Orci had a hand in it, and I'm not sure if Kurtzman would want to rewrite his own concept, or if CBS is treating Trek canon the way we remember it. (Read: if you saw it on a TV/Movie screen it happened, if not it didn't.) If nothing else, I could see Countdown being mined for ideas and then reworking them as needed, referencing material that could work in the series, and ignoring the rest of it. In other words, treating it as not canon, but taking concepts from it such as conflict with the Klingons and making them canon.

Yeah... Kurtzman hasn't convinced me he's not a hack yet... actually I kinda think of him as such... from the writing and directing perspective... maybe producing is his real forte.

From what I understand, we still haven't quite seen the portion of DSC where he's showrunner yet, although that should happen soon. I wasn't exactly happy with his writing on the movies, but I don't know if that's because Mr. Lens Flares and Mr. Conspiracy Theories just had more sway, or because he deserves to be lumped in with those two. So far DSC season two seems to be fixing a lot of season one's problems, but I honestly don't know if that's a result of backlash, a result of purging Harberts and Berg who I tend to think of as pure hacks, or a result of not having total chaos throughout production this go around and having some groundwork already laid. (Even if that groundwork was thrown together with duct tape and chewing gum.) The fact that this show was at the top of Kurtzman's wish list does give me hope though, and the fact he convinced Sir Patrick Stewart to do it after he initially only agreed to hear their pitch so that he could say "no" does give me hope. (This would be consistent with Sir Patrick Stewart's previous comments about doing more Trek too; he was done with the franchise as a whole and had no intention of coming back, so Kurtzman and his team must have really thrown something amazing his way to convince him otherwise.) It's easy to paint Kurtzman as a "hack" via guilt by association, but I really want to see something he's done where he's the one in charge as I don't necessarily think he's worthy of that particular demerit, at least not without more evidence to tell me otherwise. Based on some of the other stuff he's worked on (e.g. Hawaii Five–O,) I do think he might be responsible for some of the humor we've gotten in DSC season two, especially in Pike's personality.

If Patrick Stewart is excited, I'm excited. 

http://sciencefictio...pcoming-series/

On one hand I agree with this assessment as I alluded to above, on the other hand, this is the same guy who gave us Star Trek: Insurrection and who was excited to be the voice of the poop emoji. However, as noted above, he was effectively done with Trek and initally planned to turn this offer down, so I'm hoping that the show is as amazing as the production crew believes it to be. There's so much potential for this to be amazing, and for Kurtzman to basically be viewed as on par with or even above Nick Meyer and Manny Coto. On the other hand, if he botches this, I expect him to be held at a level of contempt below Berman and Braga during the second season of ENT.

***Some more stuff about the new show that I haven't seen anyone here mention yet***

• According to Patrick Stewart, this show could run for up to three seasons. I admittedly have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, we at least know it shouldn't be a one and done thing if it's successful, but on the other, that doesn't really feel like enough, and given how short the season will be, kind of feels like a tease of sorts. My hope is that three seasons of this will lead to a proper Trek series in the early 25th century if the goal is to still have some space between this and future series.
  • Speaking of the setting, we now have an exact timeframe, again thanks to Patrick Stewart through an appearance on The Graham Norton show. While initial reports stated 20–25 years after Picard's last appearance, Patrick Steward said the show is set 19 years after TNG, which has subsequently been extrapolated out to ten years after Nemesis. That puts us firmly in 2389, still ten years before the 25th century, or about ten years earlier than we may have initially believed. Granted Patrick Stewart seemed to be a little confused by the timeframe himself, so this still may be slightly off.
  • Kurtzman mentioned that the show would be more like previous prime universe Trek than DSC in terms of pacing, but noted that it would still be unique; make of that what you will.
  • Additionally, Kurtzman stated that this show would "respect" the look and feel of what was established for this timeline via TNG–VGR and the movies while still adding something new. In other words, don't necessarily expect to see NEM style uniforms, but expect something similar.

#57 djc242

djc242

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Looks like Amazon Prime Video will be the global distributer for the CBS All Access Picard series.

#58 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:44 AM

CBS deciding to name the series Star Trek: Picard definitely doesn't reassure me that they have the greatest creative mindset going for them. IMO a Star Trek series shouldn't be focused on just one person, they have always worked better as an ensemble effort. I have always liked Picard but to have a series named Picard just seems stupid to me. I've always liked Spock but I've never thought of having a series called Star Trek: Spock. Alex Kurtzman just seems to always have his head up his backside and can never just come up with anything that looks or sounds like real Star Trek.

#59 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

I actually think the ensemble formula is holding Star Trek back... Movies work best when you have minimal protagonist and antagonist... and basically the movies became a Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio vs an antagonist, and the latest movies worked so hard to re-introduce the full ensemble that I just don't think they could do most fo them any justice.  TV has the ability to take the time to develop the ensemble, but they just haven't done a good job with that development on DISCO. 

Thus, giving us a singular star in the vast universe might actually get back to simple direct and good story telling... but the proof will be in the product. 

#60 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:22 AM

WHY AM I NOT WATCHING THIS YET

lol

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users