• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:03 PM

So guys I'd like to pitch a question to begin a discussion.

Would a Lego Star Trek license be a success?

With both Kreo and unfortunately it's looking like Mega Bloks as well, having licences with Star Trek ultimately cut short due to sales/popularity of either product or Star Trek, would a Lego Star Trek line be any different?

My feeling is that neither line really went far enough. Neither toy company or CBS seem to be able to get product out into the big high street toy shops like TRU or Smyths. It was impossible to find either Kreo or Mega Bloks Star Trek sets on the UK high street which begs the question; is it Star Trek's popularity that isn't there or is it that toy manufacturers aren't willing to invest in a big roll out of product? Favouring partnering with, in Mega Bloks case, Amazon US.

The reason I ask is that I find it hard to believe Star Trek is so unpopular that a construction set line couldnt actually work. I just don't believe that to be true.

If it were with The Lego Group, could the influential power of that brand along with the popularity of Star Trek and perhaps the idea of both Trek and Wars under the same roof leading to fans creating the cross over every nerd has dreamed of... see customers actually buying Star Trek sets?

I think a Star Trek line, focused mostly on the newer Star Trek movies and the upcoming Star Trek: Discovery, but not limited to them, meaning Lego would be able to do Original series and TNG sets if desired, could actually prove quite lucrative handled by the biggest toy brand of them all. A company that buys space in toy shops and has its own toy shops to sell its product. It's a far more organised business than Hasbro or Mega Bloks and I think could handle Star Trek really well.

The opportunities to increase the public profile of Star Trek can't also be dismissed with the potential for characters (and actors like William Shatner and Chris Pine etc...) to appear in future Lego movies... plus the potential for a Star Trek/Star Wars Lego movie that doesn't affect the integrity of either property but building the Star Trek brands popularity among younger fans... I mean surely someone somewhere at some point has suggested this.

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

I imagine LEGO Trek sets would sell better than the Megablocks or KREO sets did, but don't know if it'd be enough for LEGO to actually do it.

I'd personally love to see it, but I don't ever expect to. If LEGO didn't try for the Trek license in the early 2000's when it was more popular, I don't see them doing it now that Trek merchandise isn't selling well.

#3 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:54 PM

With all the different properties popping up under the Lego Dimensions banner, I wouldn't be surprised to see Star Trek here. I doubt that the line would go very deep into character selection, but who knows. Already we have characters from Back to the Future, ET, Gremlins, The A-Team, The Wizard of Oz, etc. I saw recently that Knight Rider and a few other old favorites are being added soon. So maybe Star Trek might get a shot and who knows, maybe it might get its own dedicated game and line of building sets in the near future. If CBS/Paramount are feeling brave maybe we could even see something along the lines of the Lego Batman Movie, but with Star Trek!

#4 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:41 AM

Mega Bloks *is* still doing some Trek merch.  Their line of Kubros stylized articulated figurine builds just released a new wave which includes Picard, to add to their Worf and Spock from last year.  I just put mine together the other day!

Mega has not shown much for TMNT at Toy Fair either and it seemed like only a few video game franchises were getting the spotlight.  They are holding their cards close to the vest at this event it seems.  I don't think we can say they've given up on Trek yet.  They may hold some part of the license as long as they can for that Kubros line alone.

I liked what Mega did for TOS much more than I've liked anything out of LEGO lately.  Plus Mega is so much easier on the wallet.  I also don't think LEGO would try, especially not until it proved to be more popular on the minds of the masses again.  I think bgiles73 is right, if it did show up, it would first be through Dimensions...  But a lot of things that show up in Dimensions I don't see going anywhere further than that ... like most of what you mentioned.

#5 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

Yep I'm not giving up on Megabloks either. Mattel owns that line now and they have exhibited, to some small degree, an interest in Star Trek with both their Hot Wheels and Barbie lines. This has often had me wondering if maybe when the time is right that they wouldn't maybe launch a line of Star Trek action figures. Their D.C. Comics Super Heroes are cool and they have acquired the license for 6" Halo figures and vehicles. Maybe Discovery will give Star Trek the push it needs to be mainstream again. I know I will remain vocal in showing my interest in further Star Trek sets on the collector forums. While I wouldn't mind seeing Star Trek show up in Lego Dimensions, I wouldn't want to see it at the expense of losing the Megabloks Star Trek sets. I would just want to see it so that maybe some kids might discover Captain Kirk and the Enterprise through video gameplay.

#6 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

My hope is that Mega Bloks are holding off on Star Trek until SDCC.

I don't think it's over for them, I've had another chat with the person/people who run their twitter account and they're really keen on Trek but I think they're waiting for Discovery, I just get that sense they'll be releasing Discovery sets.

#7 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 06:26 PM

I mean they won't say a thing but my bet is that SDCC will be when we see signs of new licenses for Star Trek: Discovery...

#8 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:36 PM

Speaking of this business I finally have in my hands a set of Series 2 Kreons. It appears they made their way to dollar stores in Canada for $1.50 canadian at some point after line cancellation...of course that is a far cry from what I had to pay :/... I like the Kreon figures well enough even though I hated the brick quality. I could no longer stand that there were LEGO compatible Quarks out there somewhere and I didn't have one... :P. Now I just have to convince myself to open them...

#9 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:10 PM

1701D they are being kind of cryptic with replies on the Megabloks forums, but at the same time possibly hinting more may be coming at a later date.

https://www.megacons...822b4aaf653bdfa

#10 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:11 AM

Aye that's pretty much what they told me. I think they'll be back at SDCC to show off some TNG sets and perhaps some Star Trek: Discovery sets too. Clearly cbs are not wanting anything Discovery to leak right now and this may be a reason as to why Mega aren't allowed to say anything.

From what I gather, their Star Trek line did reasonably well. Aside from the problems with missing parts to their Big Enterprise set, I think they've been well received, based on the fact that CBS didn't really push the 50th that well and that they only put out sets based on a 50 year old TV show and nothing for the Star Trek film released that year...

#11 Racer_X

Racer_X

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:52 PM

There's a guy out there who sells instructions of his own LEGO creations, and one of his themes is Star Trek.  His sets use the standard-size LEGO Minifigure scale, so if you want to get a sense of what real LEGO Star Trek sets might look like, check out his image gallery below.  Considering he's only using available LEGO bricks, I think he's done a good job; I'm especially impressed with the bridge and engineering sets. 

http://www.baronsat.net/Pages5/P5.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users