• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

This must be from uniforms DST bought at the Christie's auction: read this description.

Rick said he would find out what the deal was with this today as he had not heard of it. Hopefully the cases he is getting in will also have these case toppers in them. I've already preordered several sets from New Force and it would be cool to get a couple of these.

ETA for a random thought: It's limited to only 1500. Why didn't do 1701? biggrin.gif

#2 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:41 AM

So what, if you order a set, you get the fabric, or do you have to get an entire case of them? It would be cool if I could just get the fabric with my one set, because I will not pay for an entire case.

#3 DavAnthony

DavAnthony

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

So DST bought a uniform from that Christie's auction (which I found myself annoyed by) then cut up said uniform! If that is the case that is exactly what I didn't like about that auction zoo.

Would of made more sense to me for Paramount to open a Star Trek museum where ALL people could go to see this stuff, plus it would of continued to produce revenue for Paramount. Selling items like the actual models of the Enterprise refit/A just blew me away. I just hope a museum got it and not someone who would abuse it. I did find it interesting that the Enterprise E was not auctioned off though.

The other things that pissed me off, was they kept saying "We're so happy the fans can now get these". They were definatley catering to a very sellect few who have over 100,000 to spend on something. I think it is fair to say that most Star Trek fans could not afford anything at that 'auction'. The entire thing I just thought was a disgrace.

#4 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

While I'm forced to agree to a degree, I must say that because of that auction, we may get more accurate action figures, ships, props, etc. It is a shame, because I know for a fact that the BOP from ST:III-IV was destroyed in transit from the auction to its new owner. The wing was broken in half, almost like somebody sat on it.
But, I am proud to report that a good amount of our favorites were infact sold to a guy who owns a museum, so we can at least go and see some of the stuff.

#5 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:08 AM

Keep in mind that a good number of the uniforms and costumes were improperly stored and may have had odd patches of discoloration and stains or tears and rips and such here and there. DST could have bought one of those at a lower price and cut it up. Sure, things like that can be salvaged if the damage isn't too bad, but if it was just some background extras uniform or something similar it would not have been that big of a waste. If you want a uniform, you either want one that was worn by a major character for the value or get one custom made for you so you can actually wear it. If it was a damaged costume or simply a background uniform, it would not be a great tragedy to cut it up.

As for the models and props and such. It looks like, from the History Channel special the other day, that many items went to personal collectors. For some things, like various alien head pieces, that was not a big deal. But it also looked like things like rifles from First Contact, Data's arm, the Reliant from TWOK and the Enterprise-C all went to private collectors for their home collections. Which, yes, is a big shame since not many people will be able to enjoy them unless those private collectors eventually decide to give them up one day to a museum of some kind.

Speaking of which, I wonder who bought the Enterprise-D and the Enterprise-A.

QUOTE(Stormfury_Echo @ Feb 21 2007, 11:04 AM) View Post

because I know for a fact that the BOP from ST:III-IV was destroyed in transit from the auction to its new owner. The wing was broken in half, almost like somebody sat on it.

That's not cool. Definitely not cool.

#6 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:17 PM

This promotion doesn't really interest me that much....

I personally don't collect textiles as this type of memorabilia is...

I was kind of hoping that DST would be presenting the bits they bought at various conventions... sort of like a traveling museum.

#7 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

I have to say that I have never understood why people would want a piece of fabric from a uniform worn by one of the actors. It kind of reminds me of the crazy girl in high school that would get infatuated with the popular kidd and keep every little scrap of paper and used napkin just to be close to him. It is a ll a little creepy to me. I attended a toy show last year that gave away fabric swatches from Storms X-Men uniform and was not impressed. I think it is in a box somewhere. I guess I am just not that hard core of a collector.Now if they said they would give out a limited number of com badges, rank pins, or other such items per case purchase it might be worth buying a case of them.

#8 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:38 PM

I am not all that excited about this news either. I guess it takes a certain type of collector to get into it. I would much rather have them left it intact for posterity sake.

Plus, 1500 swatches from one uniform? How tiny is that? Even multiple uniforms cut up would make it rather hard to find an exciting piece between 1500 cuts I think.

#9 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

You have a point. I'm guessing these pieces are going to be extremely small. Oh well, if I can get my mits on one, at least I can say that I own a microscopic piece of Star Trek History. smile.gif

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:14 PM

Hey... if all 1500 get together, you could put it back together... like an jigsaw puzzle...

The Las Vegas Trek Con sounds like a good place to do it!

#11 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:17 PM

LOL I'll bring sewing kit!

#12 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:12 PM

Sorry, not excited about getting a piece of cloth that could have been next to William Shatners crotch, no thanks.

#13 knightone

knightone

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:11 PM

At first I wasn't excited either, but the presentation of it sounds nice. It's not going to just be a piece of cloth thrown into the case afterall. Depending on how the whole thing looks, it might be a great part of a TWOK themed display. Especially if I finally get my own TWOK uniform. It can be a good item to have next to it to compare the material of the originals to the material of the custom uniform. I'm not really thinking of it by itself, but how it can fit into my collection as a whole. And, anyway since it's a free bonus, I can't argue with that. No big if the sets from New Force don't have them, but I'm not going to scoff at free stuff if it's given to me either. biggrin.gif

#14 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Collecting Art Asylum 7" Star trek action figures.

Star trek & writing fan fiction.

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Feb 21 2007, 04:51 PM) View Post

So DST bought a uniform from that Christie's auction (which I found myself annoyed by) then cut up said uniform! If that is the case that is exactly what I didn't like about that auction zoo.

OMG! That is pure vandalism! mad.gif

Would of made more sense to me for Paramount to open a Star Trek museum where ALL people could go to see this stuff, plus it would of continued to produce revenue for Paramount. Selling items like the actual models of the Enterprise refit/A just blew me away. I just hope a museum got it and not someone who would abuse it.

My thoughts exactly!

The other things that pissed me off, was they kept saying "We're so happy the fans can now get these". They were definatley catering to a very sellect few who have over 100,000 to spend on something. I think it is fair to say that most Star Trek fans could not afford anything at that 'auction'. The entire thing I just thought was a disgrace.

Yeah. This fan couldn't have afforded a single thing in that auction ~ least of all the outfit I wanted! tongue.gif I just hope it went to a good home.

#15 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE(VulcanFanatic @ Feb 21 2007, 10:12 PM) View Post

Sorry, not excited about getting a piece of cloth that could have been next to William Shatners crotch, no thanks.

Well that made me laugh! tongue.gif

#16 A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

A Chimpanzee & 2 Trainees

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

QUOTE(DavAnthony @ Feb 21 2007, 11:51 AM) View Post

Would of made more sense to me for Paramount to open a Star Trek museum where ALL people could go to see this stuff, plus it would of continued to produce revenue for Paramount. Selling items like the actual models of the Enterprise refit/A just blew me away. I just hope a museum got it and not someone who would abuse it. I did find it interesting that the Enterprise E was not auctioned off though.

Let's face it, Trek's popularity overall is at a low-ebb at the moment, Trek would never support a "museum" at this point, and Paramount is primarily a movie studio, not a theme park business anyway (though they do have some holdings in this area). The chances of there being another Star Trek movie requiring any of the models they sold at auction is between slim and none. Even if they did, when the next Trek movie gets made, all the models will likely be CGI based anyway. From that perspective, they really are just taking up space in some warehouse. Why not get rid of them and get some cash at the same time? As for the clothing, you're looking at 10, 15, in the case of TWOK, 25 year old clothing which is going to take special care if it's not going to deteriorate, and while I'm sure they'll put in the effort to perserve them for some of the main characters' uniforms, they don't need the hassle and expense of doing that for every uniform ever worn by an extra, or for ALL the uniforms worn by Patrick Stewart. I'm sure a few of the ones that were in the best condition were kept.

#17 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

^^^While Paramount is primarily concerned with making movies, the Star Trek experience at the Las Vegas Hilton and the travelling Star Trek exhibition of 2002/2003 were actually great successes. I should know, I was at the exhibition in Hyde Park, London and it was packed out to the degree that it was hard to move around.

I still say this stuff should have been preserved for all Trek fans, not just a wealthy few.

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:24 AM

There are allot of nice pieces in the STTE museum, however, it was obvious that they are suffering the effects of age, and basically just being put on display, w/o any real plan to maintain or preserve them.

#19 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

^^^Probably because they were never stored correctly in the first place. Some of the costumes on display in the exhibition showed some signs of age ~ mainly the ones from TOS, but many of the TNG and later era costumes looked simply great. I was very interested in looking at the TNG Romulan uniforms and they looked OK. Naturally, one costume ended up with my dribble on it ~ but I guess they wiped that off before they sold it! tongue.gif

#20 Stormfury_Echo

Stormfury_Echo

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:41 AM

I think it's a cool idea. If you all don't want them, cool. More for me. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users