• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

After my successful TNG Dustbuster build I decided to get started right away on another one. I chose Stapleton's Nemesis phaser that has the cowling the pulls forward to expose the phaser coils.

Posts 1-4 were all written as I was working on it last week.

Materials used so far (I'll add as I use it)...
Duplicolor gray sandable primer
JB Quick Weld
300, 400 and 600 grit sandpaper
black packing foam
blue painter's masking tape
Bondo glazing putty
Duplicolor Medium Charcoal Metallic spray paint (DSFM225 paintcode)
Duplicolor clear coat

Here's what it should look like when it's done (minus the electronics). This is a pic of FHC's Nemesis phaser.

This is how the kit looks before assembly.

When the kit arrived the first thing I noticed was a giant sprue on the end of the handle. I didn't have a dremel or a file so I just attacked it with some 300 grit sandpaper.

Next I started to get the pieces ready for priming. I masked off all the metal areas and filled the holes with little pieces of foam.

#2 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

I sanded down any other abnormalities I could find with 400 grit sandpaper.

Next I Used JB Weld to glue the bottom part to the main body. Once that dried I used putty to fill in the crevices. When the putty dried I sanded smooth the best I could. I haven't perfected my putty application yet, but it was all very smooth to the touch.

I stuck the button cover to the end of popsicle stick and primed that. Then I stuck the main body and front part the end of a coat hanger (the screw holes are the perfect size for that) and primed those, too . I love how primer shows all the little spots you missed. I'm definitely going to have to go back and touch up some pin holes and the seam between the upper and lower phaser bodies. I want that seam to be perfect!!

#3 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:08 AM

I sanded down the first coat of primer to see what touch up work would have to be done. As I said before I wasn't happy with the seams and knew I'd have to putty them again (see below).

I then re-puttied the seams and a few other minor imperfections on the main body and the front end. When the putty dried I wet sanded it back down to a nice smooth finish and then tapped dry with a paper towel. Here's what I ended up with.

Hopefully I got the seam this time. I guess I won't really know till the primer goes on again. Not sure if I'll be able to get that done today as it's a bit breezy here today. We'll see ...

#4 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

Primer and Putty / Round 2 ...

The breezes let up the afternoon and I was able to get the primer on. It hung to dry in the garage for a few hours. At first I wasn't happy with the way it looked. I thought I could still see the seams. I proceeded to wet sand with 600 grit sandpaper and it really started to look good. I worked on the seams and they started to melt away. Nice! There's still one spot that needs a little putty touch up but for the most part it looks great.

I really wish I did this wet sanding with the Dustbuster phaser. I guess the next one will look even better!

Here are the pics ...

I even got the coils and the button cover done.

This is where I'm up to now. Next will be to start on the top coat of paint.

#5 iams001efni

iams001efni

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

Nifty!, reminds me of when I did both of mine, I made one into the Endgame version, and much later one night added electronics. I love your dustbuster, so I am sure this one's only gonna get better!

#6 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

I was able to finish it up yesterday.

Sure am glad I decided to give the emitter a good polish .... ewwwwwww.

I was able to get a few coats of paint on this morning (Duplicolor Medium Charcoal Metallic DSFM225) and a few coats of clear coat. I wet sanded between all coats except the clear coat. Looks really good I think. The color is photographing a lot darker than it really is for some reason.

I got the power meter in. I didn't even use and glue. It was a VERY tight fit.

I glued the emitter tip to the front cowling.

I attached the coils back to the main body.

Next I screwed the handle back on.

Then I glued the little round knobs to the underside of the front cowling.

#7 'E'

'E'

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

Next I glued the rubber grip to the top part of the handle. I have don't have anymore build pics because this is where I had a small problem and I couldn't cared less about pictures. So I was doing the buttons and I placed the rubber pad under the plate and glued the buttons on no problem. Once dry I went to glue the plate on. Well I must've had something on my thumbs (I'm guessing glue residue) because when I pressed on the plate it left marks all over the paint. Prior experiences have told me to just leave it alone otherwise it will probably get worse, especially when dealing with wet goopy glue. It's not horrible but I know it there. I guess now it more like a "battle used" phaser. Oh well, I guess it'll be a quirk that will make it unique, right? Still, it came out pretty nice.

Here are some final pictures.

....and the display.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users