70 replies to this topic

#1 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

So.

Anyone super jazzed about Trek toys being shown next week?

Anyone?

:unsure:

#2 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM

What's a Trek toy? 

#3 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:12 PM

Parachuting Mr Spock!!

Jk.
Like Alteran said, what's a Star Trek toy?

#4 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 02:02 PM

Maybe DST will show us that TNG phaser thats been in development for the last 5 years!!

#5 QuePaso?

QuePaso?

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

"Work continues!"

<_<

Just not on Star Trek stuff.

#6 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 04:05 PM

Mego Picard and Data will be shown at the Toy Fair.

#7 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

Maybe DST will show us that TNG phaser thats been in development for the last 5 years!!

Hahahahaha

Well it's going to light up and make sounds, so maybe we should let them have another 4 years before we kick up a stink! :D

#8 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

I'm still waiting for the C that was totally going up for preorder super soon over a year ago. 

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:01 PM

Hahahahaha

Well it's going to light up and make sounds, so maybe we should let them have another 4 years before we kick up a stink! :D

Oh... I know! they're trying to make an actual working prototype! Stun only of course... don't want anyone to get seriously injured!

#10 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:45 PM

In a way I wish Playmates would pull a Mego and jump right back into it with some old and new ones. In reality, I hope DST has 4 selects that they have been keeping hush on. The JJ Kirk/Spock and the Borg drone are awesome, too bad that wasn't the "regular" way to make them in the first place.

#11 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:23 PM

As much as people loved that line, that might not be a a bad idea... especially some of the more rare releases... the value of originals may be retained... but it would let folks who just want one to get them cheaply. Then, as you say, if they released new figures it might grab longtime collectors interest. 

#12 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

I'm totally down for more DST selects.  Frankly, I was stunned by their quality (in a positive way).  I'm just sorry that the momentum from their release was not capitalised upon.

#13 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

I'd be happy if DST started offering Star Trek Minimates again. Now that Picard has debuted, they should concentrate on the Next Generation era.

#14 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

I'm at a phase in my life now where I am trying as hard as I can to cut back on toys.  So I am fine with a no-show on Trek.

The smaller the toys the better.  Maybe minimates are what I need.  Or more Mega Construx...

These new Picard characters need to actually start doing things, and stop just talking about things, for me to care enough about them to want a toy...

#15 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:24 PM

The smaller the toys the better.

That definitely makes it easier. Space aside, I can't even begin to consider spending so much for a comprehensive line of 6-7" action figures.

I crave variety. Minimates could satisfy that hunger if DST would step out of the original series box longer than one assortment. 

#16 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

When 6" figures were $8 it was pretty easy to amass a pretty good sized collection quickly.

now they are $20, and I can't say that most people make 2x in salary as they did when they were $8... so yeah collecting them became more expensive for sure.

I've been "refocusing" and reducing my collection for a few years now... I find I like props, role play and such a bit more... plus as you say no real trek toys to buy and even Marvel Legends seems to be running out of characters I want to buy and the re-issues arent that much better then some of the ToyBiz releases.

#17 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 06:35 PM

I was always more of a 1:18 scale collector thanks to Star Wars. Playmates hooked me with Star Trek just because of the wide variety of characters, variants, playsets, and even vehicles (which are harder to come by in larger scales).

DST's 7" line never did anything for me. When AA introduced it, it didn't fit in with anything else. Oddly enough, it was the block figures that hooked me. The simplicity of the original series uniforms translated perfectly with the stylized, minimalist little bodies. And they didn't take up much space! Then DST made them even smaller.

I'm pining for more...

#18 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:19 PM

Its my hope that Star Trek goes back to Playmates Toys and they concentrate on just a new 4.5inch scale. They can do articulation similar to their other lines of toys and bring in that photo-real printing that other companies are using for other lines. I would also like to see more Playmates ships and playsets.

#19 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:23 PM

I'd argue Playmates had its chance back in 2009 but it's not like DST and Todd are doing much but squatting on the license. Maybe Playmates would be interested in acquiring Minimates, too.

#20 Jpatrik

Jpatrik

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Star Trek, Fitness, Writing, World Domination

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:38 PM

Based on the characters, ships and situations we've seen thus far, I cant see there being any real "toys" from the Picard show.  So far, theyre just all talking heads.

Like a few people here, I have become far more selective with my collecting, and, barring some miracle where Playmates re-enter the arena, I'd love to see Figuarts Trek Figures.

Shame about McFarlane.  Those first two figures were...okay.  Just wish they hadnt chosen Kirk/Picard.  I already have a bunch of those characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users