• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 11:28 AM

According to their social media pages, Hiya Toys will be offering Star Trek Universe product. So far it's just a vague announcement (more of a teaser really) that they have the license but if it's anything like other action figure lines, they'll be highly detailed 1:18 scale figures with maybe a signature vehicle or two to go along with them.

I'm cautiously optimistic for a few reasons:

• Hiya loves to recycle existing bucks, meaning there's a strong possibility that figures won't be in scale with each other. 
  • Figures have been in the $20 range, and for that price I'll need more than an extra set of hands and a prop. That's a premium price point at this scale and deserves a premium format.
  • Star Trek has an infamous history when it comes to successful toy lines. Playmates took off in the 90's but even they have struggled to recapture that lightning. Maybe Hiya will have what it takes.

A truly in-scale vehicle like a shuttlecraft would be pretty fun. I'll definitely pick up at least one figure to go with my collection of 1:18 scale figures. Whether or not I "collect them all" comes down to value (and if I can get a second job).

#2 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:25 AM

Random Thoughts about the Hiya Toys figures revealed at SDCC 2023:

• I'm amazed at how many requests there are for 1966 TOS figures. As a guy who started collecting with TOS Mego figures back in the 70's, I get it but can we save those for later? Especially when Kirk, Spock, and Khan are still clogging pegs at Walmart for $5.

• The scale is bugging me. I'm a huge fan of 1/18 scale figures but Anton Yelchin was 5' 9" and Leonard Nimoy was 6'0" and the figures appear to be the same height even with radically different sculpts. This isn't a case of using common bucks economically (which I'm okay with where it makes sense). This is a case of these being 4" tall figures rather than 1/18 scale figures. That's disappointing.

• I enjoyed the 2009 Star Trek reboot but I'm shocked this is where Hiya has decided to launch the line. If they wanted to launch with a modern take on TOS characters, Strange New Worlds is the way to go.

All that said, I've already got a Kelvin-verse wishlist gestating in my noggin. I hope this line prospers so that it can live long.

#3 Morgan

Morgan

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 06:29 AM

Omg, so these are just slightly shorter than PM's old 4.75-inch format? This is so headache-inducing.

#4 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:28 PM

The proportions on early Playmates figures were a bit chunky. They weren't as photorealistic as these so I'm not sure what that old scale would be. It's kinda like Minimates; do you go by height or width?  :D

But I know how you feel. As someone who always wanted a comprehensive line of Star Trek figures to go with my other 1/18 scale figures, I found Playmates' figure size frustrating. These are going to be pricey so my wallet's glad they're only launching with four. I just don't think these four are the ones that will move.

#5 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 06:01 AM

The character selection is kind of strange b/c this is a movie that not exactly new, but isn't "classic" in any sense either and won't be for a while. Kind of a random selection.

But since PM is doing some TOS movie figures, this could be a contractual thing where Hiya has to steer clear of some series? 

I have to wonder too at the demand for a small number of Kelvin-universe figures right now in their own standalone scale. We have a handful of companies at this point each doing their own thing in their own scales.

#6 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 02:26 PM

Typically license agreements are specific to regions. Despite product ending up literally all over the world via retailers, Hiya likely only has rights for Asia. Playmates might have North America. Then they split hair by scale, price point, etc. 

But the character selection is baffling. I could understand it if Viacom and Paramount were still split and Hiya could only get movie rights, opting for the most recent ones. But it's my understanding that it's all under one umbrella again. I may be mistaken.

Of all the character incarnations from which to choose, they're leading with the one that's in some weird middle ground, neither relevant nor venerable. But, hey! It's my scale!  :unsure:  <_<  :mellow:

#7 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 02 August 2023 - 09:48 AM

Hmm, well that's even weirder. What exactly is the demand for these characters from this film in Asia?

Hiya's Robocop in this scale is pretty dope I have to admit. I bought a couple of those. Very high quality and the scale works with Toy Island's early 1990s Robo line. Expensive though.

#8 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 07:49 PM

"... the company told us that they have a worldwide license to all of the live-action Star Trek properties – so there is great potential for additional releases."

https://blog.trekcor...elvin-timeline/

As Kelvin Scotty would say, this is exciting!

#9 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 08:03 PM

"... the company told us that they have a worldwide license to all of the live-action Star Trek properties – so there is great potential for additional releases."

https://blog.trekcor...elvin-timeline/

As Kelvin Scotty would say, this is exciting!

And they have the rights to do electronic ships.

#10 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 08:10 AM

https://www.toyark.c...iya-toys-511103

As expected, the figures are $25 each. They'll be released in Q1 2024. 

In a bizarre full-circle, these have a hidden crunch joint under those tunics. It reminded me of the rubber pants Art Asylum innovated in the Enterprise line. I was pretty critical of using that "space-age polymer" on action figures but here it seems less problematic. At least they're touting it in the marketing if not on the packaging.

I'm still pushing for those transparent blue bases to be transporter pads. If they lit up it'd make the price easier to swallow but I know that's not realistic.

#11 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 08:15 AM

And they have the rights to do electronic ships.

I know that probably means starships but given their track record, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a 1:18 scale shuttlecraft. Anything they can offer in different flavors.

#12 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 03:53 PM

I know that probably means starships but given their track record, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered a 1:18 scale shuttlecraft. Anything they can offer in different flavors.

Well they said Enterprise.

#13 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 September 2023 - 09:05 AM

Currently a Kirk, a McCoy, and two different Spocks are available for preorder.

I really want to support this line but the price is killing me. That Spock Prime definitely needs to be chillin' with my Echo Base rebels.

https://www.hiyatoys...e-action-figure

#14 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 15 September 2023 - 10:30 AM

It's Nero's turn!

https://www.hiyatoys...o-action-figure

I actually appreciate the way these are trickling out. At this price, a 10- or 12-figure wave would put quite a dent in my monthly budget. I just hope they finish this crew so they can move onto other incarnations.

#15 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 11:09 AM

At this point, there are nine figures available for pre-order. The aforementioned Kirk, McCoy, Nero, and two different Spocks.

Since then there's been Keenser:

https://www.hiyatoys...r-action-figure

Chekov:

https://www.hiyatoys...v-action-figure

Sulu:

https://www.hiyatoys...u-action-figure

And most recently Scotty:

https://www.hiyatoys...y-action-figure

Noticeably absent is Uhura and any other female characters from the films. I'm sure Hiya is getting as much mileage as they can out of that common male buck but I'm hoping they get around to completing the Main Seven soon. As much as I love this scale (though figures are clearly not in scale with each other), the $25 retail is tough on the budget. Keenser is a must-have as a cool new alien but $220 for the whole assortment just plain hurts. 

#16 Morgan

Morgan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 11:49 AM

The sculpt quality is pretty amazing, I have to say. Especially on Scotty.

Kirk looks great too, a bit above what PM was able to achieve with their recent sculpts. 

I want more characters from Hiya, lots more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users