Photo

Here we go again... Playmates is back in the Trek business!

• Please log in to reply
348 replies to this topic

#241 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 29 May 2023 - 11:06 AM

They havent really stated what their plans are to the general public in two years. There are a few trade shows that they have addressed plans but these havent been open to the general public. Hopefully they will have something at San Diego Comic-Con in July, Star Trek Las Vegas Convention, New York Comic Con or New York Toy Fair in October. All of these events are really coming back strong after a long hiatus brought on by COVID restrictions. So I guess we cant totally blame Playmates for keeping us in the dark.

#242 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:19 AM

There are other ways to communicate intentions to fans (like putting images on the card backs or including a printed catalog with boxed SKUs) but I understand wanting to hold big reveals for special events. 

To a degree... 

#243 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 10:18 PM

Hmm seems to be a trend with toy companies involved with Trek.

#244 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 02:42 PM

It seems companies are too busy putting legal jargon in multiple languages on their packaging nowadays to leave any room for cross promotions. Playmates is in no way visionary when it comes to using their Q Code in any kind of visionary way to grab kids attention either. Gone are the days of reading the backs of cereal boxes and finding entertainment. The same can be said for card backs on products like action figures. Coming to think of it I dont even think Happy Meal boxes are all that attention grabbing either! QR codes and interactivity are the kinds of gimmicks that Playmates will have to research and embrace to hold attention spans. Or they will be quickly forgotten and left behind.

#245 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 01:14 PM

Multiple languages on the card backs is simply a cost-cutting measure. It's easier and fast to print a single card back than a different one for each territory. There's still got to be a way to let consumers know what else in available on or in the packaging.

#246 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 08 June 2023 - 06:29 PM

I agree with you. I miss the days when Kenner had cardbacks showing the whole line of action figures and boxed toys had the little catalogs. I used to look at pictures of GI Joe toys and spend hours dreaming about what I wanted to add to my growing collection. I also really miss Department Store Catalogs and Wishbooks. I now find myself missing those Collector Magazines of the 90s - Toyfare, Tomart, etc. Internet websites are too insufficient to generate the same kind of experience.

#247 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 June 2023 - 03:18 PM

Now that Prodigy has been canceled by Paramount+, I wouldn't expect too many more figures based on it unless another network picks it up.

#248 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 10:34 AM

Shame we probably won't get the Protostar either now. 

#249 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:21 AM

It's confusing.

Some outlets are suggesting Paramount intends to write the show down on taxes, like WBD did with the canceled Batgirl and Scoob 2 features. Meaning they can't monetize them in any way.

Then there are reports that the second season will be finished and both seasons will be shopped to find a new home. 

The latter suggests that the show could continue to offer licensed merchandise while the former would seem to preclude it.

#250 Morgan

Morgan

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 06:20 AM

The lack of publicity from PM when it comes to product plans in this day and age is kind of surprising. It seems like they're torn between which show to produce figures for, given the rapid appearance & disappearance of new shows. Picard is done, Prodigy is likely done, Discovery is done.

It already seems the second half of the 1990s saw much better communications from the company in magazines and at shows.

#251 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 26 June 2023 - 10:43 PM

Well hopefully San Diego Comic-Con which is in a little less than a month will give Playmates an opportunity to present something there. I am pretty sure they will be there to at least show off some of their relaunch of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem line. Hopefully theyll at least show off Wave 2 of the figures they showed at London Toy Fair months ago and the Enterprise D and Communicator that they announced for Fall. There is also the New York International Toy Fair coming in October. This will be the first time since the pandemic so surely Playmates will want to take advantage of this! I have no insider information but if Playmates does the logical thing, surely this will be the course they take!

#252 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 22 July 2023 - 05:42 AM

So I take it no Trek to show off a SDCC?

#253 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 11:25 AM

Doesn't seem like it

#254 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 03:04 PM

That didn't last long. I'm going with Hiya.

http://www.trektoy.c...ic=6100&p=97939

#255 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 July 2023 - 07:08 PM

That didn't last long. I'm going with Hiya.

http://www.trektoy.c...ic=6100&p=97939

I mean thats nice but I have no interest in kelvin timeline figures. 

I guess PM is saving stuff for Vegas con.

#256 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 12:30 PM

I'm interested on the Kelvin timeline but I would not have recommended starting there. Boldly go where Playmates hasn't gone.

#257 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 04:40 PM

I believe there was a response from PM saying after the hype of the new Turtles (cartoon/movie?) they were gonna announce Star Trek stuff. Twitter or somewhere was a response from one of their reps.

#258 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 05:07 PM

"Twitter"? What's that?

#259 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 06:56 PM

Playmates also shared that same message on their Instagram. With Playmates I guess I will believe it when I see it. Its hard to believe they passed up an event like SDCC to show off anything they might have in the works. If the still havent shown anything by the time of International Toy Fair New York in the Fall, I guess we can finally put a fork in it because that Turkey is surely done. That said, I am excited for the Hiya figures. Sure I would prefer they went with some of the other shows but I am happy to get what was shown too. As far as all the characters being similarly sized at 4 inches it doesnt bother me a whole lot. If Keenser is proportioned correctly I am good. A few inches in height from a six foot character and a five 1/2 foot character does not necessitate the expense of creating a totally different mold for me. Now if its the difference in height between Luke Skywalker and Chewbacca or Darth Vader then definitely variate those sculpts!

#260 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 07:52 PM

I believe there was a response from PM saying after the hype of the new Turtles (cartoon/movie?) they were gonna announce Star Trek stuff. Twitter or somewhere was a response from one of their reps.

Ahh well thats good to hear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users