• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#101 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:17 PM

yeah, i've seen a couple of those 'Get the 'F' out!' promos on various PPVs from mid 2002. Great stuff.

Nice to know there is someone else on here who enjoys Regal's work. I think he is really underrated by WWE. If he wasn't such good buddies with HHH, i doubt he'd still be there

As for Jackass...i hope Umaga stiffs the crap outta all of them.

BTW Artistix, do you guys the Tagged Classic sets in Oz?

#102 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE(Will Riker @ Jul 17 2007, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW Artistix, do you guys the Tagged Classic sets in Oz?

Sorry?

Tagged Classic?

#103 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:32 PM

The world wildlife fund had made some deal with the World wrestling federation where the wrestling group could use any name/symbol that had been currently using (the old school metal symbol). Well in about 2002 or so a British subsidiary of the wildlife group sued the wrestling group saying that the agreement had been breached and that the WWF was now using a new symbol and it would confuse the world as to which was what. The British courts sided with the wildlife fund and said the wwf could no longer say "WWF" or have the Scratch logo since it was made after the original agreement had been made. Being that it was a British court I had thought the decision only stood in Britain and that if the WWE wanted to they could use the logo/name in the US but since they wanted to become more global they choose to change the whole kit and kaboodle to make it easier. So you saying that they are using it in Britain makes absolutley no sense to me!! It also makes no sense as to why anyone would confuse the two WWF's and which is also why the Wildlife fund will never ever get any support from me. If they have enough money to file suit against wrestling then they dont need mine.

#104 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jul 17 2007, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
which is also why the Wildlife fund will never ever get any support from me. If they have enough money to file suit against wrestling then they dont need mine.

biggrin.gif

Well said. They can kiss my curvey behind as well!!

#105 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:10 AM

thehsbr, thanks for clearing that up for me. i've always wondered why the classic block logo and the new generation version didn't have to be blurred out. i will also never forgive those stupid panda-lovers for this. They should've been forced to change their name - the could've called themselves the WWlF lol. I also don't understand how anyone could confuse the two. ah well.

as for the tagged classics sets, i have no idea why they escape the editing, but i'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth!

and artistix - i think you answered my question smile.gif

in case you missed it on the previoyus page, here is a link to the Tagged Classics ordering site

#106 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

ARRRRRRRGH

I'm SO annoyed. Why, why, why do these things never happen to Cena? For those who haven't heard, Edge is injured and is gonna have to drope the belt.

First Undertaker, and now Edge - two guys that i actually want to see headlining shows. I don't want to speculate too much until after the SD tapings, but the only guy on SD who isn't really doing anything right now and could be considered a legitimate threat to a World Champ is Mark Henry...

*SHUDDERS*

#107 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:57 PM

khali wins the belt tonight.....shudders more.....

#108 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Most Sci Fi, however a strong emphasis on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who.

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:11 PM

And Kane gets screwed again. ><

#109 VulcanFanatic

VulcanFanatic

Leonard Nimoy fan

• Members
  • 3,165 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:22 PM

I saw a news report that said Chris Benoit was jacked up on 10 times the normal amount of Testosterone as a normal man has as well as some other drugs at the time of his tragic murder/suicide thing. They said his wife and child were sedated before they were murdered. What a horrible tragedy that goes to show that once you put yourself under the influence of foreign substances like drugs or alcohol you could do some pretty horrible things without really realizing what your doing until its too late.

#110 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

There are still younger fella's over at Wrestlingfigs.com who don't seem to understand what happened.

They are quite annoyed that WWE is showing no respect for Benoit & wish the media would stop portraying him as a monster.

One forgets how much harder this would be for the younger folk to grasp. sad.gif

Edge is injured you say Riker...I heard Kane injured him during the Mardi Gras segment.

Were people always being severly injured in WWF/WWE...or is it more so nowadays that they are worked till they die?

#111 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

Most of the people over at wrestlingfigs/jeremy.com are all blowhards that try to get a rise out of people. i dont put much stock in what they say and i doubt their perplexion is real.

In regards to injusry, the new high impact/ high flying style of wrestling has taken a severe toll on guys. A good match used to be a lockup,test of strength, and a few armdrags/bodyslams. Now its completely different. Just backyard wrestling I can remmeber how sore I felt after only a few days of wrestling. I cant imagine what these guys are going through. With there being no offseason in wrestling these guys cant ever recover from nagging injuries like other pro atheltes can. Many have suggested that there be a mandatory vacation instituted for each individual on a rotating schedule.

#112 Artistix

Artistix

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jul 18 2007, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many have suggested that there be a mandatory vacation instituted for each individual on a rotating schedule.

Thats seems to be the wisest course of action...

I remember after her feud with Trish Stratus for the championship, Stacy Kiebler had to take over a month off for her body to recover.
I don't think any of the male talent would be that lucky....though I dare say they would not ask unless it were life threatening.

How many times does your average WWE wrestler fight each week? I know there are house shows as well as Raw/SD/ECW.

#113 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

i'm not at all thrilled that Khali is the champ, but i'll hold off my criticism until i see this develop a little bit more. i will however be extremely upset if Batista gets another run with the title. Sure, Khali may not be the most agile person to ever grace a WWE ring but at least its something different (yes, i am looking ver hard to find ANY positives in this lol)

I am more upset over the 'death' of 'Johnny Nitro' and the birth of 'John Morrison'. What the hell? The Nitro character was fine as it was. And i much prefer the name Nitro to one that also happens to be the name of a supermarket lol. Does Vince hate WCW that much that he can't stand to see 'Nitro' suceed within his product?

as far as the injuries go...it seems as if everybody on the roster BUT Cena gets injured. I don't really wish injury on anyone, but it is perplexing...i guess its asol a testament to the amount of physical punishment Cena can take and also how safe he is in the ring

#114 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:22 AM

Well the schedule nowadays goes like this and keep in mind you have two separate brands w/ two travel schedules.
Raw on Monday
Samckdown/ECW on Tuesday taped/live in that order
Each brand has house shows usually on Th/F/Sat/Sun those change according to bookings
1 (sometimes 2) PPV a month on Sun

Most weeks the guys will have off the middle of the week. This is very different from the 80s where guys were traveling alsmot all the time so the workload has lessened to an extent. Still being on the road 250+ days a year leads to the drug culture in the WWE. Steriods by themselves dont kill people its the "drug cocktail" that stops a weakened heart. These guys are on uppers,downers, cocaine, alcohol, painkillers, etc. It just doesnt medically work. Meltzer (who I think fabricates his stories and subscribes to yellow journalism to sell his newsletter) quotes 62 wrestlers dying under 50 in the last 10 years. Many are people youve never heard of and many die from accidents orunrelated illness like cancer but he counts them. It is still disturbing but not in the least bit shocking looking at some of their lifestyles.

I cant believe they changed Nitros characters. They are just making every wrong decision lately. As for Cena he wrestles a more classic low impact style ala Hogan/Warrior although not as bad. That style leads to less injury.

#115 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:27 AM

i should just point out that not everybody works house shows. i think older guys like Shawn Michaels and Undertaker don't do them (which i think is one of the reasons why HBK doesn't want to be either World or WWE champ again, sadly). I think Flair works house shows, so at his age kudos to him

But yeah, i take your point. Thats why i always shake my head in amusement when people say 'wrestling is fake' (which is a whole other topic by itself). Sure, it is just a TV show (like the critic's favourite soap or movie lol), but the non-wrestling fan will never understand the sacrifices these athletes have to make just to make a living in wrestling, never mind suceeding

back to Nitro...i try not to make snap judgements or have a knee-jerk reaction to something like this as i prefer to see things develop before dishing out criticism or praise but i can't get over the name change. i was a fan of his 'A-List' gimmick/look, but everyone needs a change now and again to keep themselves refreshing so again i wanna wait to see how the actual character plays out. But John Morrison - i'm still baffled. You would've thought that if he was due for a change that it would've happened before he made his ECW debut.

#116 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

Actually all active wrestlers work the house shows. Its why Mick Foley/Jericho dont want to become active wrestlers again. Michaels and Undertaker work every house show for their brand. They may get a few dayes off but those are few and far between.

Ive never seen a world champion switch his gimmick while holding the title. I agree that a change should have been made before jumping to ecw. It just goes to show you that the WWE has no long term planning in mind. Up until the Vince Russo era in the late 90s, the WWF would be booked for 6 months in advance. Their lucky now if they know whats going on tommorrow.

In another piece of badly timed news, John Kronus one half of the Elimators with Saturn died yesterday. I guess this makes Meltzer's list go to 63 wrestlers under 50 who have died in the last 10 years.

#117 Will Riker

Will Riker

Knows the way to Eden

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

Hmm, i've always been under the impression that HBK has been working a reduced schedule in recently. I'm pretty sure because of his bad knee he wasn't working house shows. From my understanding, he was due for knee surgery since before DX reformed, and it all caught up with him just befiore Judgement Day. Then again, i could be wrong. And its not as if i'm a regular WWE house show goer lol

I think the only long-term planning WWE do is who they want to be headlining the next Wrestlemania lol. Although to be fair, in an industry like wrestling, its hard for long-term planning, as the recent injury crisis has shown. Taker was supposed to get a long reign, but he got injured. Kennedy was supposed to be Money in the Bank for a while, but he got injured, etc, etc, etc. And in Johnny Nitro's case, i don't think its fair to accuse WWE of a lack of long-term planning too greatly...he shouldn't be ECW champ, it should be Benoit. But you can't legislate for things such as the Benoit tragedy - although that still doesn't excuse WWE for abruptly changing Nitro's gimmick

As for Kronus, i read about it and it took a while for the name to click. I can count the number of Eliminator matches i have seen using the fingers of one hand, but what i have seen impressed me greatly. Through the Eliminators, for me persoanlly, its also great to see a really talented side of Perry Saturn, seeing as most of my exposure to (and my enduring memories of) Saturn was his infamous 'Moppy' gimmick. RIP John Kronus. Any news on how he died?

#118 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:57 PM

Not yet but we can assume drug and steroid use. As for long term planning it worked well for the wwf all though the 80/90s. yes changes have to be made occasionally but it gives the program a sense of direction and purpose. They dont even have Summerslam booked yet let alone wrestlemania. This is what happens when you hire soap opera writers and not people who have knowledge of what wrestling is. I think when Triple H takes over he will have a better sense of what needs to be done. Vince is completely out of touch with the real world for instance him just recently figuring out what Survivor is and him being mystified as to how Paul Birchill was playing his pirate gimmick because he had never seen Johnny Depp portray Jack Sparrow. Hes out of touch. The WWE is a shadow of its former glory and its going down the same path WCW did with booking shows the night of and not having any long term plans. I|ts sad how history repeats itself over and over and over.

#119 Electricbolt

Electricbolt

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Interests:Most Sci Fi, however a strong emphasis on Star Trek, Stargate, and Doctor Who.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jul 19 2007, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive never seen a world champion switch his gimmick while holding the title. I agree that a change should have been made before jumping to ecw. It just goes to show you that the WWE has no long term planning in mind. Up until the Vince Russo era in the late 90s, the WWF would be booked for 6 months in advance. Their lucky now if they know whats going on tommorrow.

WWE is starting to book like WCW did in the mid to late 90s. It's at the point where I recently heard that the writers were working on changes for a Smackdown show AS it was filming.

QUOTE(Will Riker @ Jul 19 2007, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Kronus, i read about it and it took a while for the name to click. I can count the number of Eliminator matches i have seen using the fingers of one hand, but what i have seen impressed me greatly. Through the Eliminators, for me persoanlly, its also great to see a really talented side of Perry Saturn, seeing as most of my exposure to (and my enduring memories of) Saturn was his infamous 'Moppy' gimmick. RIP John Kronus. Any news on how he died?

I was reading somewhere that his death occured just days after knee surgery, though I'm not sure you could connect the surgery to death exactly. As for him as a wrestler, I don't think I've seen many of his matches because the name is definitely not clicking for me.

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jul 19 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not yet but we can assume drug and steroid use. As for long term planning it worked well for the wwf all though the 80/90s. yes changes have to be made occasionally but it gives the program a sense of direction and purpose. They dont even have Summerslam booked yet let alone wrestlemania. This is what happens when you hire soap opera writers and not people who have knowledge of what wrestling is. I think when Triple H takes over he will have a better sense of what needs to be done. Vince is completely out of touch with the real world for instance him just recently figuring out what Survivor is and him being mystified as to how Paul Birchill was playing his pirate gimmick because he had never seen Johnny Depp portray Jack Sparrow. Hes out of touch. The WWE is a shadow of its former glory and its going down the same path WCW did with booking shows the night of and not having any long term plans. I|ts sad how history repeats itself over and over and over.

WWE and TNA are both in a creative slump in terms of writing talent. WWE is definitely starting to book like WCW did in the 90s. If that's the case, then I equate TNA as this decades ECW. They may think they are the WCW or WWF of today, but they barely fill up the small arenas in which they do shows.

#120 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:08 PM

I completely agree about TNa but i wouldnt even give them that much credit as being ECW. They have done a handful of shows outside orlando. Its a Catch 22 because to become bigger they have to tour regularly but most of the guys on the roster chose TNA because of the lighter work schedule. I dont know how they are going to work that out. I like some of the guys in TNA but the majority are speciaty acts that would never make it in the WWF or the old WCW. Their action figures are also subpar at best. Id buy a Jakks figure of Angle/Steiner anyday over their Marvel Toys equivalent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users