Photo

Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Resizing Heads to the AA/DST Scale (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you interested in purchasing customs heads at the prices and conditions listed below?

1. Yes (15 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Fat Valentino

Fat Valentino

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Custom Ships and Playsets

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

So, I was thinking that with everyone's sets in the mail or having arrived (with the exception of Data 2006 who, as the first to pick up a full Voyager set, has agreed to have everything shipped together to save on international postage...) now would be a good time to start with feedback and discussion. I'd really like to hear what you guys think and how projects like these can be improved in the future. Why don't we use the classic format: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly? I'll start...

THE GOOD

Characters
With the TOS and TOS Movie sets I made for this project, we more than tripled the number of TOS characters represented in the AA/DST scale. Granted, it'll take some customizing on everyone's part, and AA/DST bodies will be a little bit harder to come by and more expensive for awhile (*cough*Romulans*cough*), but in the end you all have the custom head sculpts to dramatically increase the size of your collections.

Trial and Error
I hadn't done any customizing in the AA/DST scale before starting this project, and over the past six months have done enough with these guys to feel very comfortable working in the scale/style. You all have my email address, and I'll certainly be checking in on the board, so I can help with painting/customizing questions if you're not totally confident.

THE BAD

Manufacturing/Shipping Time
I'll be the first to apologize for how long this took. I was way too optimistic in how long it would take me to finish and manufacture these. Please just know that it was only me, and that when I had previously done re-sizing it was in a smaller scale (shorter resizing times) and I wasn't working a 9-5 job at all! Still though, this project took a lot less time than Diamond Select's offerings, and I would say was more ambitious than almost anything they attempted!

THE UGLY

The Waiting Game
Again, this took way too damn long. I won't offer another commission like this until the molds and prototypes are finished 100%, and I can be reasonably sure I can ship within a reasonable timeframe.

Acne?
There are a couple of sculpts (Chapel, Janeway, Tuvok) that have some very small bubbles in the mold. Almost like acne. It's a result of casting those head sculpts on humid days. Rather than delay the shipping even further, I decided to just ship them as is.

#122 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

The Good
Indeed we got a lot of new characters to add to our pretty sizable collections. Its also great that you were able to follow through with this commitment. I was never involved but I have heard of programs such as these on the old AA boards that went south with much disasterous results! So I will be the first to commend you on being able to complete this. Im actually much more interested in getting some VOY figures so hopefully you still have the stamina to get to that project!!

The Bad
Im not a fan of the torso casts. They look great but to be honest Im just not one for trying to add articulation with pins. If its not articulated to the industry standard, my persnal preference is to just not have it. I dont know if there are even any instances of this in the future, but Id prefer to stay away from such pieces.

The Ugly
The time is the only thing I can really think of.

#123 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

I wasn't too fussed about the length of time but then I have a lot of other projects going on too. My mate is coming round today to have a look at the best ways to mount the heads as I'm an amateur.

GOOD: The sculpts are pretty decent. They will make fun additions and will help complete the crew. I think my modelling skills are too limited to produce decent articulated sculpts for the ladies but I'll see if my mate wants a crack. I think maybe a little sanding on the TMP uniforms at the hips might be good to make the tunic less flared.

BAD: Minor gripe is that the Betelgeusan head is a little big and out of scale compared to the others but it may not be a problem in the long run with a bit of sanding. Biggest criticism is the impromptu replacements. The message above indicated that Chapel and Rand would be added in as replacement heads and I was really looking forward to receiving the Chapel head but I got Trelane instead, who wont be any use to me! He looks nothing like Majel Barrett sad.gif I got another human male head although I'm not sure who he is...? I might have to look up the thread again...

Actually having looked back at the images, the Chapel head also comes attached to a TMP body, and a separate head would be most useful.

Ooh - just seen your recent post - yeah it was the movie version of Chapel that I was interested in, although my mate has no suggested that if I order a cheaper bald head from thatsmyface, he should be able to do a simple TMP hair sculpt. Options options....

#124 Matty-lad

Matty-lad

I can stop I just don't want to.

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Hey all,

Picked up my figures from the post office yesterday and I have to say, I love them. Sure, it took a while for them to arrive, but I have to say, they were worth the wait. I'm now a little worried about starting them in case I muck it all up.

I will certainly be in for more sets in the future, especially Voyager.

Thanks for all your hard work,
Matty-lad

#125 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:40 PM

Found this link on a customs group on facebook. It might be useful here for those of us skittish about painting flesh tones and eyes.

http://www.angelfire...yePainting.html

#126 data_2006

data_2006

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Still waiting on these, did you guys hear anything from Robert lately? Did everyone else receive their sets?

let me know

#127 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:24 PM

I have received mine.

#128 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Gah!! I just read about this project on Playtrek. Some truely fantastic pieces in there.

Think I'll have to grab a Chapel & Rand...if FV is making more?

#129 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

still nothing....... no word no email just nothing....

#130 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Received a message from Rob today saying I can order whatever I want!

I noticed he's making the TMP women including the torso. What body would people be using for the arms & legs?

I would die with happiness if I could have TOS & TMP versions of Chapel!!

#131 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hate to do this to a fellow member and will edit post when he contacts me, but he already sold me an extra set (including the ones you named) and after payment of both this set and the other (ealrier paid) set Rob did not reply anymore to any emails, PM nor messeages here. So please be aware before you proceed

#132 Tiberius

Tiberius

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

I am not sure where he got to, I emailed him on your behalf and have not heard, I will try another method. Meanwhile, is it possible it is held in customs? You live in Netherlands, don't you. I think everyone else received their sets.

#133 data_2006

data_2006

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

I'm pretty sure as I received the Klingon captain chair (send few days after) with a custom fee that thats not where the package is.

#134 Pauln6

Pauln6

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

I've had a crack at the zaranite and saurian so far. Current works in progress. The Janice Rand is a that's my face scan with a fresh paint job.

Can anybody offer any advice on an easy recipe for some simple security guard customs?

#135 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

I have been out of the loop for so long I did not know this guy was doing custom heads. Does anyone know if he still does these? I would love a Romulan commander so much!!!

#136 Lt.Shark

Lt.Shark

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hi... I am interesting for this heads also...

TOS Rand and Chapel...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users