• Please log in to reply
362 replies to this topic

#61 captainwallis

captainwallis

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

Im hope the lights will be the same as the ones used in the bop and the Ent B. There lovely.

#62 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

I imagine they'll be whatever was used in the TWoK Enterprise.

#63 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Zach, not really anything to do with the A but do you collect any of the DST Star Trek stuff you've put out? Or do you collect other things?

#64 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

We have most of the ships in the office, but I don't have them displayed really nicely, they're mostly for reference. But If I had room, I'd set them all up. I never had any before I came on board at DST. The only ship I DO have set up is the Minimates Enterprise, to go with my Trek Minimates collection. I have some of the older figures, and all of the newer ones. I enjoy Minimates immensely.

I sadly no longer have my old personal collection of AA/DST 7" Trek figures -- gave it up in one of several moves before I came on board, and wish I still had it. I had the original TOS crew, some TWoK, some of the Nemesis figures... The one thing I held on to was a signed-inside-the-blister TWoK Sulu figure. Love Sulu, love TWoK, love that Chuck got Takei to personalize it to me back when I was with ToyFare. But as I've gotten in samples to shoot for Facebook and the blog, I've hung onto them, and have the first two Selects set up on a shelf in my office. Waiting impatiently for Picard.

I also have a couple of original Trek Megos, a memento of my Twisted ToyFare days, and have padded my collection with some of the newer DST Retros. The Talosian Keeper made frequent cameos in TTT, and now I own a mint one!

I'm also looking forward to the banks!

#65 captainwallis

captainwallis

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

Awesome collection there Zach. Cant wait to get my hands on the A. Im intrigued as to what the new sounds will be. I was pretty fond of the warp drive and photon sounds on the art asylum Enterprise. I belive the photon sound was taken from the search for spock. Also loved the warp drive.

It would be nice if there was some variation in the sound effects for the A, as ive noticed that both the bop and the up coming Excelsior share the same photon torpedo sound from the undiscovered country. We shall have to wait and see. Either way, im just greatfull to finally get the chance to have an electronic Enterprise A with the same detail as twok Ent, but with that lovely white matt hull.

#66 captainwallis

captainwallis

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

Just a quick note regarding the lights on the A. I was playing around with my twok Enterprise and noticed one thing the Art Asylum ent thats bad and good and another with twok edition. Hopefully we will get the best of both versions with the a release.

The first issue is the blue on the deflector dish. The first release of the A (art asylum) had a blue glaze deflector and when lit, looks a tad too white. On the twok Ent dst have give the deflector a sort of "frosty" haze blue over the deflector which looks alot better than the first release. I hope the A gets this.

The other thing that really upsets me with the twok realese is the impulse engines. On the art asylum A they really nailed the lightbleed and the orange colour used in the films. Looks awesome (and has very little light bleed)The twok edition however is not so good. For one the whole impulse modual lights up and the impulse engines have a red paint over the plastic and it just dosnt look...well right.

I know these are little things, but im a big fan of the A and this (in my opinion) is dts's chance to really make a good edition of the movie Enterprise. I really hope this one is on par with the klingon bird of prey and the Enterprise B. It will be the icing on the cake.

#67 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

Hi Zack

I'm relatively new colllector for Trek's ships, recently bought ENT B (2nd issue), BoP & ENT E (nemesis).

ENT D (2nd issue) is on the way & of course there is  Excelsior pre-order.  

I like to know what is the release date for the new ENT A?

Previously I too purchased 1st issue TWok ENT & equally disappointed with light bleeding problem & plastic quality.

So looking forward to this one.

And of course I would very much love the stay-on light features on ENT A!

#68 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

I don't know when it will come out, but most likely early 2014. And I don't believe we can add the lights-on feature to this one any more than we can any of our other reissues.

Plastic quality is not an issue, it was plastic type. That pearlescent plastic we used on the TWoK seems to be slightly translucent. The Ent A will not use the pearlescent plastic.

#69 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

Thus future releases of the WoK Enterprise should not use the pearlescent plastic too, right? Since you're going to be using different plastic for the A, in the same mold as the refit...  

#70 Reign1701A

Reign1701A

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

And I don't believe we can add the lights-on feature to this one any more than we can any of our other reissues

Why is that exactly? Wouldn't a few changes to the circuit do the trick? I'm a longtime lurker around here, and also a huge fan of your products. I'm truly excited you guys are re-visiting the 1701-A (as you may have guessed from my username!), even though I own the original release and the 2007 TWOK refit. That said, finding a way to get a lights-on feature on the 1701-A , just like on your modern releases, should be your #1 priority. That would truly make the toy exceptional. Thanks for all your hard work.

#71 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Thank Zack for your reply.

I just selected a 1701-A as my profile to try encourage DST to to reconsider adding light-on features since there are still some times towards 2014   ;)

As Reign1701A had said, some fine tunings of the circuit might just do the trick, given the 1701 is quite huge ship as compared to smaller ENT E. 

#72 Tyjos Azari

Tyjos Azari

I know what a Pog is.

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Collecting,Photography

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:52 PM

A 1701-A?

I'd be Interested for sure, decided to check back at TrekToys to see if anything new has been announced that'd get my attention again...this one might be getting my attention.

#73 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thus future releases of the WoK Enterprise should not use the pearlescent plastic too, right? Since you're going to be using different plastic for the A, in the same mold as the refit...  

I don't know if they are planning on changing the plastic for the TWoK I don't know what the plan is for any new runs, or when the A will actually be produced. We don't necessarily make them at the same time, and even then a material change halfway through is not out of the question. 

Why is that exactly? Wouldn't a few changes to the circuit do the trick? I'm a longtime lurker around here, and also a huge fan of your products. I'm truly excited you guys are re-visiting the 1701-A (as you may have guessed from my username!), even though I own the original release and the 2007 TWOK refit. That said, finding a way to get a lights-on feature on the 1701-A , just like on your modern releases, should be your #1 priority. That would truly make the toy exceptional. Thanks for all your hard work.

To be honest, I do not know the compexities and costs involved in changing a wiring template. And I think our #1 priority is making sure it works properly and it looks right. Making changes to the wiring is just another opportunity for issues to crop up.

#74 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

I don't know if they are planning on changing the plastic for the TWoK I don't know what the plan is for any new runs, or when the A will actually be produced. We don't necessarily make them at the same time, and even then a material change halfway through is not out of the question. 

Well since it seems as though the plastic you'll be using for the Enterprise A will be better then I would hope that logic prevails and DST do change the material used on the WoK Enterprise.

Also I think reading through some of the comments here and on your Facebook page it seems as though people would rather you guys spent the extra money on making these re-issues have the lights on feature and better stands (among other things) and pay extra for them than to have a ship that doesn't look as good (if not better than) as the new ships you do.

You see I would love to see the WoK and the Enterprise A... Enterprise's be given the following:

New USS Enterprise B stand design and configuration - replacing the rubbish ball and socket joint as well as getting rid of the extra play cover in favour of the hole and peg system used to great effect on the B and Bird of Prey.  

Lights on feature - replacing the rice bulbs with all new LED's

No light bleed - The Enterprise B is fantastic at not bleeding any/minimal light. If it can be done with the B it can be done with the A and refit WoK Enterprise

Change of material for the Refit - The pearlescent plastic is simply not good enough and since the A and the refit share the same mold, there's no excuse not to change materials for the WoK Enterprise.

Multiple variations - You have the clean Motion Picture Enterprise, the weathered WoK Enterprise, the battle damaged Search for Spock Enterprise, the destroyed Enterprise from SfS, the Enterprise A from Voyage Home, Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country. 

Most of all though I would love to be able to sit the Enterprise A and it's variations next to the new DST ships circa 2013 and beyond and have them all look like they were made to the same standards of quality. With some of the reissues being less than perfect in different areas (broken stands, bad light bleed, translucent plastics, poor sped up sounds or all of the aforementioned) it would be nice to have a standard that was met with every ship and that gold standard for DST is the Klingon Bird of Prey - if every ship, reissue or new ship, had the same standard of quality to it as the BoP then this would be the definitive line of Star Trek ships.

So we pay more as consumers... I don't have a problem with that as long as what I get is to the same standard as the Bird of Prey.

#75 Javabean

Javabean

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

I'm willing pay little more to hv light on feature & other materials related issue resolved.
Let the same good standards fm BoP & Ent B be continued on.

#76 DefiantOne

DefiantOne

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:13 PM

I'm willing pay little more to hv light on feature & other materials related issue resolved.
Let the same good standards fm BoP & Ent B be continued on.

Agreed. I too would be willing to pay more in order to get a model of the Enterprise-A (and all other ships/reissues which follow) with the same quality and features as the B and the BoP.

#77 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

DST, I love and support most of your Trek products. I know I was rough on the Seven of Nine statue. Please, please, please, take heed of the feedback you're getting here. All we want is an A1 Enterprise-A. You guys and gals can make it happen. I know you can.  

#78 Reign1701A

Reign1701A

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

Making changes to the wiring is just another opportunity for issues to crop up.

True, but if you're planning new sounds, why not new lights as well? I can't speak for everybody here, but as somebody that owns almost every Star Trek ship you guys have released, I would be willing to wait longer and/or pay more for an Enterprise-A with the lights-on feature.

#79 DSTZach

DSTZach

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

I don't know how many people we're talking about, here, but go ahead and Ask DST if it's possible. Just be aware that changing the lighting is not as simple as changing the sounds, and the same goes for changing the price. We're already at a price point that excludes many potential customers - to raise it further could affect sell-through.

#80 DefiantOne

DefiantOne

Lives in the city on the edge of forever

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

The Enterprise-A seems to be a very popular ship, I see the old version from Art Asylum frequently on Ebay, selling for 100 Dollars and more. I think the new A would attract the same costumers and I guess the price would be under 100 Dollars, even with new plastic, lighting and sound. As Captain Kirk once said: "Risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair".

And people seem to be willing to pay more for this and other models, if it has the popular features, such as the "lights-on-feature" and new ship specific sounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users