Playmates 2008 Star Trek Movie Toys

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
511 replies to this topic

#1 Enterprisecrew

Enterprisecrew

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

We have great news! Playmates Toys is the licensee for the Star Trek feature films toys! DST will continue with their Star Trek toys for the other versions of ST. Here is the link to the article we wrote about this great news www.trekmovie.com

Mary Jo, John, and Nicky Tenuto

#2 Trekker670

Trekker670

Tracking number maniac

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

I've been hearing rumors for the past week or so, then I read the article and you beat me to posting about it. I can see some good things coming from this, hopefully PM will step up their detail/accuracy though

#3 pickard

pickard

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:33 AM

I'll give them a a chance, but it's not the best news. Maybe they can step up and produce a better product than I expect them to.

#4 Sgt. Stinky

Sgt. Stinky

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Friends and especially Family

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:19 AM

I am just glad it is not McFarlane or NECA - the inaction figure toy companies. Those that love them forgive me, they're just not my cup of tea. I just hope they make them more realistic looking this time around. Still I collected all the original playmates Trek I could during their run. I am glad DST is continuing as well.

#5 Chris

Chris

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

So Happy Playmates are doing Trek again! Fantastic News!!!!

#6 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

I will hold out final judgment untill I actualy see them but I am not excited by this news at all.

#7 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 28 January 2008 - 12:23 PM

I think the best thing playmates could do is produce these new toys in the same scale as the TOS DST stuff. Do action features, lights, projectiles whatever but i would love to see them in a 6-7" size. A 3 3/4" would be awesome to. A lot of companies are relaesing the same stuff in multiple sclaes, hopefully playmates will do that here too.

If DST would have never have picked up Trek this would be awesome. I originally held off on the AA stuff because I didnt want to buy a new format other than playmates. When DST got a body of work that I felt was enough I jumped on in to the new scale and I cant go back!!! Right now this announcement just fills me with lots of uncertainty.

#8 Chris

Chris

I dream about Toys

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE(thehsbr @ Jan 28 2008, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the best thing playmates could do is produce these new toys in the same scale as the TOS DST stuff. Do action features, lights, projectiles whatever but i would love to see them in a 6-7" size. A 3 3/4" would be awesome to. A lot of companies are relaesing the same stuff in multiple sclaes, hopefully playmates will do that here too.

If DST would have never have picked up Trek this would be awesome. I originally held off on the AA stuff because I didnt want to buy a new format other than playmates. When DST got a body of work that I felt was enough I jumped on in to the new scale and I cant go back!!! Right now this announcement just fills me with lots of uncertainty.

If Playmates did the same scale as DST that would be silly in my opinion. Since DST isn't giving up the liscense we will still get their Trek figures in their scales. I think if Playmates stuck to their most successul 4.5inch line, then both the collectors of DST figures and the collectors of Playmates 4.5inch would both be happy and it makes more sense.

#9 New Frontier

New Frontier

I know FHC by name.

• Suspended
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek: The Original Series <br />Graphic Design <br />Star Trek 2009 <br />Model Making <br /><br />

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:50 PM

Are Playmates any better at detail than the company that make Doctor Who figures? (if anyone collects Dr Who)

#10 skeletor

skeletor

The card is maxed out.

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:55 PM

Thank god AA/DST is still going to do their stuff!

I'm not even excited about this movie one bit lol

#11 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:46 PM

http://www.action-fi...m...e&sid=22556

Apparently there will be three scales: 4", 6" (ish), 9-12"
Plus playsets of the bridge and transporter for the 4" figures. Wow, they really are trying to bring back what they had.

#12 Chalksquared

Chalksquared

New Forceaholic

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, performing (on stage), drawing, and collecting anything (24th century) Trek.

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(Samwise Gamgee @ Jan 30 2008, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that link, Samwise!!!

#13 slayerone76

slayerone76

Guinan's love slave!

• Members
  • 2,718 posts
  • Interests:Stately playboy by day ... profitable pimp by night. I like to watch movies, listen to music, go out ... friends ... food ... all the essentials of life.

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:09 AM

I have a small tingly feeling in the pit of my stomach that reminds of my days of walking into Walmart and finding Playmates Trek on the shelf!

#14 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:17 AM

I dont think I like the sounds of this. unsure.gif

#15 cap97

cap97

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

I have to say, and maybe this is blasphemy to some, but I'm not the biggest Playmates Trek fan. I much prefer the detail of Art Asylum (though they're not as good as they used to be). That said, technology is better these days, so maybe Playmates will pull off something great. And of course, they'll probably be better at the distribution.

#16 Samwise Gamgee

Samwise Gamgee

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE(Chalksquared @ Jan 30 2008, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for that link, Samwise!!!

No problem.

I wonder if DST still has the license to produce the ships and trek tek since there was no mention of them in the article?

#17 FHC

FHC

Owner

• Owner
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

Playsets! small figures! Cloth Figures! Sounds like Playmates is bringing in the big guns! I had better start saving now! I'm pumped up! And I bet they are all down at my local Walmart as well as Rick having them!

#18 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

The bridge playset is going to be interesting, if the movie version is pretty close to the series version, then I see alot of people buying it just to use with their old TOS Playmates figs. biggrin.gif

#19 Smitty

Smitty

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:46 AM

Oh my I'm getting butterflies again.

Now I will no longer have to trudge to specialty stores/comic shops to find Trek figures.

Nothing against Art Asylum, but c'mon I don't want to have to make a voyage to Mecca so to speak just to get a Kirk/Spock/Uhura etc.

Wait does Playmates just have the license for the new film? Or will it encompass all Treks?

-cs

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE(Smitty @ Feb 1 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait does Playmates just have the license for the new film? Or will it encompass all Treks?

Just the New Film as far as we know...

But AA/DST's license is for the 6" realm... so if the 4" line does well, they may try to resurrect it... but I want superposable figures ala Hasbro if they do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users