• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#1 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

I thought I'd better start a new thread to filter the Trek from the rest on DST's FB page.

A thread for people to post comments of interest from the DST Facebook feed here.

First up, an update on the ships still (apparently) pending production:

QUOTE (DST's FB page)
Facebooker: When can we expect to see the Enterprise B, Excelsior, and Klingon Bird of Prey to drop?

Diamond Select Toys:We're working out some factory issues, and once we get out new runs of the All Good Things D and Nemesis E, will try to get them finished as fast as we can.

And then a pretty cool suggestion and some discussion of the upcoming BOP.
QUOTE (DST's FB page)
Facebooker: hmm feel i have to not only post this question but also ask for any star trek fan to click like! who among us would love to get an electronic lights and sound...TOS D7 klingon battle cruiser?? I mean common theres never been a good one, only glue models and i have a problem with shaking hands and cant really do builds... i did buy the christmas light up ornament tho but shes horribly out of scale...lol

Diamond Select Toys: The Bird of Prey from Star Trek 3 is the next Klingon ship we'll be doing, but you should definitely Ask DST about the old-school cruiser! http://www.artasylum.com/question

Facebooker: I do have questin about the bird of prey, will she feature electronics? sounds and lights? she looks absolutely georguos but with both cargo bay and landing gear i doubt she has electronics.. ill buy her anyway!!! lol

Diamond Select Toys: All of our ships have electronic components, and I have not heard otherwise on this one. Development is underway!
24 August at 17:01

#2 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Well.... At least we know the AGT and E are pending....I still say the late October early November date will be accurate for these. Yes..... I cant wait to get my hands on that E !!!!

#3 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

You and me both, buddy. And I can see the D7 being a huge seller, especially if they release K'tinga and Q'onos One variants.

#4 Commodore Kor'Tar

Commodore Kor'Tar

The Great Tribble Hunter

• Members
  • 2,415 posts
  • Interests:Playmates figures and ships (90s era), Art Asylum and DST figures and ships , Galoob figures and micro machines .

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

Breaking news confirmed on the DST facebook page . The Star Trek action figure line has been discontinued. sad.gif

http://www.facebook....241602065884058

#5 Tomparis

Tomparis

Newforce is my home page.

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

I'm not surprised actually. Star Trek stuff has always been a tough market. I have also barely ever seen dst stuff in stores, so if its not in a lot of stores its harder to reach an audience

#6 Destructor!!!

Destructor!!!

• Members
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

Sad news. sad.gif

#7 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

I'm not surprised either. The line really died a long time ago before DST stopped producing figures. I'm kinda pleased that it has been discontinued and FINALLY DST aren't saying "never say never".

I'm pleased because clearly DST's Star Trek action figures got worse and worse in terms of quality and detail as time went on. This news will hopefully give DST more resources to do better ships and tech and to really focus their Star Trek line and make a name for themselves producing replica ships.

I don't think Star Trek stuff is a tough sell. It's finding out what sells well and what doesn't. The ships have always been a hit with people (casual and hardcore fans) and as "toys" they work because besides being fun, including lights and sounds, they display well for the older fan. Star Trek action figures aren't all that interesting because in the shows, our heroes all wear different colours of the same uniform - great for TV/Film, not so great for toys. When we look at the action figures that do sell well, it's those characters that have a highly detailed and wildly different costumes from other characters in lets say Star Wars or super-hero movies.

#8 Tomparis

Tomparis

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

My friend owns a small collectibles/toys shop and let me tell ya. Star trek stuff is a tough sell. I help him out sometimes and we have been sitting on the same Star Trek stuff for yrs, ships included. There is another shop i frequent and the guy has been in the biz since 1975 and he has said that in the 90's star trek toys boomed and then dropped off. A lot like everything in the 90's lol

#9 reverie

reverie

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (1701 @ Sep 3 2011, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not surprised either. The line really died a long time ago before DST stopped producing figures. I'm kinda pleased that it has been discontinued and FINALLY DST aren't saying "never say never".

I have to agree.. no surprise. What was the last figure they did.. had to be a couple years ago. I'm saddened that this is the end, but again, agree with being happy not to have to hear "never say never" again.

#10 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:55 PM

Confirmation is always nice.

The romulan, and Kirk in roman disguise I think were pretty much the last figures they produced.

I sure wanted that nurse chapel... Oh well.

#11 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:19 AM

Well...at least now I can delete the AA bookmark from my internet browser. I only collect the 7" figures. I do think it's a shame though. The TNG 25th Anniversary will only happen once and I think a major opportunity in action figures will be missed because of (deleting three paragraph rant about DST before writing it). I love their work, I wishit had been managed better. I think if they had the reliability they proved they could muster with the TWOK figures with every line...they'd have had a much better run. Well...that and less Kirk's, more aliens. Seriously think that was a factor. I do love the figures I have, though.

Well, I'm off to the "Everything Else" section to start a hypothetical thread.

#12 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

You guys ...There actually could be a silver lining to this dark cloud..... Now that DST has officially labeled the figure line as "discontinued" ...This may open the door for other companies to get to work...I know its a long shot...but you never know !!!

#13 Tomparis

Tomparis

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

I hope Playmates gets the contract again. I have always like the balance of quality/playablity that they have on action figures and ships.

#14 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Tomparis @ Sep 4 2011, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope Playmates gets the contract again. I have always like the balance of quality/playablity that they have on action figures and ships.

I know this is a bit off subject... but as far as 12" figures go.... It would be really cool to see Sideshow or Hot Toys give it a go. Could you imagine a Hot Toys DX Captain Picard or Captain Kirk !

Tomparis...I actually heard Playmates is in a bit of financial trouble so I doubt they would get the contract again. I wonder if Neca would do a good job? I think they are too small of a company and their quality is kind of low though. My Predator figure from them fell apart LOL...I guess I answered my own question ;-)

#15 Tomparis

Tomparis

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:07 AM

hmm well thats sad to hear. I'm sure who else would get the contract then. dst is done, playmates is going broke, neca sucks.....hmmm I just dont know...

#16 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Tomparis @ Sep 3 2011, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My friend owns a small collectibles/toys shop and let me tell ya. Star trek stuff is a tough sell. I help him out sometimes and we have been sitting on the same Star Trek stuff for yrs, ships included. There is another shop i frequent and the guy has been in the biz since 1975 and he has said that in the 90's star trek toys boomed and then dropped off. A lot like everything in the 90's lol

I don't want to take this off topic but I want to answer this point. I think at the moment, Star Trek is going through a revival. It's been reborn but there needs to be more from JJ Abrams and CBS in the way of new stuff to make merchandise from and if they want to sustain popularity, that takes time. The reason Trek stuff boomed in the 90's was because TNG boomed. It began to drop off in 1994/95 at the height of Star Trek's popularity. What unfortunately had happened is that the shows stagnated and as a result, so had sales of the merchandise - AA and DST have been working with a franchise that wasn't really all that relevant anymore. Where as Lucas with Star Wars has kept it relevant for kids and fans, Star Trek withered... until now... It'll take some doing and some time but I think if Abrams continues to make popular Trek movies and then someone else or Abrams builds on the growing popularity and does a TV series that remains popular or animated series that engages with kids and we see a very successful Star Trek console game, the boom years will be back. Obviously one very popular film isn't enough so these things, as they did with TNG, take time to grow in popularity. I think we're seeing the slow resurrection of the Star Trek property but for now, I think yeah, it's a harder sell than it was in 1992 - 1994. However, I think certain things do sell better than others and for me it's the ships.

hmm well thats sad to hear. I'm sure who else would get the contract then. dst is done, playmates is going broke, neca sucks.....hmmm I just dont know...

Its certain that Playmates wont be getting the Star Trek license again. I spoke to Rick at Newforce Comics and he pretty much confirmed that it wouldn't be going to them. DST will remain the license holder for "classic" Star Trek (TOS - ENT) and I think it's certain CBS will go for a bigger company to produce the toys for the JJ Abrams Star Trek franchise.

As I said, the franchise as a whole is beginning again, just as it did with TNG and I think given time and given that Abrams continues to make popular Star Trek movies and perhaps TV series/Animated series, the 90's boom years will be back.

#17 Tomparis

Tomparis

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

Well we'll see what happens, Star trek online is becoming free to play later this yr and a new movie is on its way, also a new game for ps3 using the motion sensor for ps3 and it comes with a phaser shaped holder for the motion thing (I obviously dont play video games on consoles lol). So, its quite possible we will see another boom like there was with TNG. I remember being young and TNG being on tv and merchandise being EVERYWHERE. I mean you couldn't escape seeing some kind of TNG branded anything everywhere you went. So I hope to see that again. This weekend my friend did sell some Star Trek stuff and had people asking so heres hoping for the best!

#18 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

The end of the 7" line doesn't mean the end of DST's Trek license, or even the action figure portion of their license; all it means is the end of the 7" figure line. Remember, DST still needs the Trek license for Ships and Tek, and the figure portion of the license for the retro line. Hopefully DST will exploit this opportunity by expanding the retro line to include TNG, (beyond Picard and lone borg,) DS9, and especially VOY, which really went neglected in the 7" scale. I'd include ENT in that list if I thought it would sell; maybe for Trek's 50th and ENT's 15th anniversary in five years there would be some potential there. Hopefully we might eventually see some more retro style playsets and similar items like the retro bridge set, but for now, I'm optimistic that DST will continue to focus on Ships and Tek.

The possibility of TNG

#19 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

I think your on the mark Alex.

DST still has the license, and sadly, no one else seems interested in it... but we've had that discussion several times already ;-)

#20 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:14 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Sep 7 2011, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DST still has the license, and sadly, no one else seems interested in it... but we've had that discussion several times already ;-)

That's true, but I have to admit that I'm glad that DST still has the license, at least for Ships and Tek; if the retro line really expands into TNG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users