• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#81 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

If its the Reliant, I'd REALLY like to see light up torpedo tubes....

#82 luclin999

luclin999

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

I completely agree with you about the Enterprise-C--I think the fact that it's the last Enterprise we need to complete our collections must add to its sales potential. As far as the Defiant goes though, I do think the Eaglemoss version is also an option, because at its small size--about five inches--it is actually in scale pretty well with the Diamond Select ships. If I get a Defiant at all (I always thought it's an ugly-looking ship, but I do respect what it did onscreen in DS9) I might go the Eaglemoss route, as I just don't think it will look very good on my shelf at a larger size.

I'm a little bit tempted to pick up the Playmates version of the Romulan Warbird and the Vor'cha myself. The only thing keeping me from grabbing the Warbird are those awful four buttons on top of its hull, and a general lack of detail (the lack of windows really stands out.) Is the Vor'cha any good?  

Both the Vor'cha and the Warbird are "Okay" when sitting in a display and viewed from a distance of say five feet or so. The lack of detail becomes much more apparent the closer you look at the pieces. Which makes sense really as they were intended primarily as toys as opposed to the AA/DS ships which are designed for display.

#83 Jay K

Jay K

It's not a disease it's a hobby.

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:Music, Star Trek, and gaming.

Posted 11 November 2015 - 03:03 PM

If its the Reliant, I'd REALLY like to see light up torpedo tubes....

Well as there's no deflector on the Reliant, I'd expect something else to light up other than the warp and impulse engines. The torpedo tubes glowing red would be lovely (especially as that pod would be empty otherwise), and I'd also love to see them getting the shuttlebay doors illuminated. That'd be absolutely perfect. As in this picture:

http://www.thelightw...s/reliant15.jpg

Nacelles, impulse engines and dome, shuttlebays from the bottom of the outer deck (illuminating them upwards), weapons pod for torpedo tubes, and around the bridge windows like they did with the Enterprise. That'd be a real thing of beauty. :)

#84 luclin999

luclin999

Toys before the light bill.

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

Reliant should also have running lights on the hull similar to how they are on the TOS Enterprise. (but hopefully on the corect sides)

#85 Alteran195

Alteran195

Their ACTION FIGURES, not dolls!!

• Members
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 09:08 PM

Nacelles, impulse engines and dome, and shuttle bays.

That's what I expect Reliant to have light wise.

The green and red running lights would be cool, but than she wouldn't match the TWOK Enterprise nearly as well.

I'm curious if she would use the pearlescent plastic like the TWOK, or something that isn't translucent. Hopefully the latter.

#86 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:48 PM

The green and red running lights would be cool, but than she wouldn't match the TWOK Enterprise nearly as well.

I'm curious if she would use the pearlescent plastic like the TWOK, or something that isn't translucent. Hopefully the latter.

Agree with you on the running lights - it'd be really cool, but the original Enterprise is the only ship that's had it (probably due to perceived lack of detail).

And I hope if it is the same plastic, they can paint the inside.

#87 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 03:08 AM

I completely agree with you about the Enterprise-C--I think the fact that it's the last Enterprise we need to complete our collections must add to its sales potential. As far as the Defiant goes though, I do think the Eaglemoss version is also an option, because at its small size--about five inches--it is actually in scale pretty well with the Diamond Select ships. If I get a Defiant at all (I always thought it's an ugly-looking ship, but I do respect what it did onscreen in DS9) I might go the Eaglemoss route, as I just don't think it will look very good on my shelf at a larger size.

I'm a little bit tempted to pick up the Playmates version of the Romulan Warbird and the Vor'cha myself. The only thing keeping me from grabbing the Warbird are those awful four buttons on top of its hull, and a general lack of detail (the lack of windows really stands out.) Is the Vor'cha any good?  

The warbird is okay but the Vorcha is actually pretty good.  The detail is amazing (especially for an early playmates ship).

#88 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

I ask for light up torpedo tubes cause it makes the rollbar stand out and makes it look more menacing since Khan is in control....

#89 1701D

1701D

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:07 PM

My hope that if it is the Reliant, they use the same plastic as they've used with the Enterprise A and that they then Re issue the Movie Enterprise in the plastic used for the A too, add some screen accurate weathering and bosh! The Enterprise in WoK never really had a pearlescent finish on it anyway aside from the reused shots from TMP.

#90 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:31 AM

Are you talking about that translucent plastic?  If so then no thank you.

I do like the light up torpedo tube idea though.  

#91 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:28 AM

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't like that. New plastic for the new ship, no light bleed. If it looks slightly different, that's completely fine. But if it's the same scale as the Enterprise/-A, then a translucent saucer would really spoil it.

Also, I'm personally hoping the bleed-correction goes as far as using new plastic on the impulse engines and dome: 

GMQ1G9R.jpg

That whole area glowing is something that could be fixed with paint on the inside, or more preferably, using a new part with the impulse engines and dome as separate, clear parts that are glued into place.

#92 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

Didn't Zach say they were sticking with the factory that made the Excelsior and BOP.  Im all for that I liked the plastic they used.

#93 Reign1701A

Reign1701A

Action figure anonymous member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

I wish DST would crank out the ships faster but they deliver a great product overall for the price. I would've killed for stuff of this caliber when I was a kid. As an adult, I dont have the time, space, or patience to build and paint models (I'm looking forward to Ships of the Line though), so these ships are amazing for what they are.

I'm not excited for the Romulan BoP but I'll buy it, that's the only ship they've announced that I wasn't foaming in the mouth over. I wish they'd revive the action figure line but they don't control market demand.

I'm just grateful DST is making Star Trek product period. I can see why DST employees get a little cranky coming here. I also can't believe all the whining I've seen in general over the new Trek series...seriously Trek fans? We finally have Trek back on the small screen and people are already up in arms? Yeesh.

#94 Dilithium1

Dilithium1

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:23 AM

Rule of Acquisition #57...

#95 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:08 AM

Ok off topic but last night I dreamed I had a DST Dauntless.  I woke it wasn't real and I was angry.  I take it as a sign we need a new DST fed ship.  hey would the Dauntless count as a fed ship or an alien ship.

#96 Prometheus

Prometheus

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

Ok off topic but last night I dreamed I had a DST Dauntless.  I woke it wasn't real and I was angry.  I take it as a sign we need a new DST fed ship.  hey would the Dauntless count as a fed ship or an alien ship.

That's a tough call.... It really could go either way.... But I like to think of the Dauntless as a Fed ship.

#97 BadBunnyMike

BadBunnyMike

Wishes He had Spots

• Members
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

The Dauntless was an alien ship in my opinion...Seska was a Cardassian altered to look Bajoran, the Dauntless was alien altered to look Federation

#98 Jay K

Jay K

• Members
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 07:22 PM

Obviously a design Starfleet took as their own though (according to Enterprise).

Ps7wT06.jpg

#99 Razorgeist

Razorgeist

I know FHC by name.

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 01:10 AM

I always imagined Arturis hacked into the ASDB or something and it was an actual proposed Starship design.

#100 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:58 PM

That's an interesting list--but Is the Romulan Bird of prey really that popular? To me it always looked like a fairly goofy ship in TOS, and even the HD version of it still looks goofy to me. Is the Excelsior really more popular than The Enterprise B? They're the same ship class, the only difference being that one is named Enterprise (and that's the version I own, anyway.) As I'm not a Captain Sulu fan maybe I'm out of the loop on the Excelsior's popularity. Also, I'd really rather have the Stargazer or a Cardassian warship over the Reliant. I juswt can't get past the fact that the Reliant just isn't a very imposing ship, and its original captain (before Khan took it over) looked like a game show host.

1. I can see why people think the Romulan Bird of Prey looks simple, but "goofy"? I'm not a fan of Romulans or Romulan culture in particular, but I think it can look intimidating, as long as you're not just staring at the picture of the bird on the bottom. I have liked it since I had the model kit as a kid. It's the 1957 Chevy of Star Trek, and I mean that in the best way possible. Lit up, it's gonna be pretty impressive.

Romulan+Birds+of+Prey_edited-6.jpg

2. As important as the B is to an Enterprise line-up, its ill-fated first mission in Generations is pretty unimpressive when compared to the Excelsior's exemplary service at Khitomer, under the command of Sulu. I think it may also come up short compared to the air of superiority projected by the NX Excelsior under Styles, even though that ship barely leaves spacedock. It may all depend on how confident the captain is, to me, and how much their personality is reflected in the ship's behavior.

3. The Reliant is actually made to look pretty predatory in Wrath of Khan, and if you're a fan of the film, or of Khan, I don't see how you can't look at it and think of him.

star%20trek%20space%20combat%20james%20t

Actually, I recommend you re-watch it, because I don't know if I'd say the original captain of the Reliant, Captain Terrell, looks like a game show host. But maybe we watched different game shows. Regardless, his heroic sacrifice would make him one of the bravest game show hosts ever.

2245556-1a1.jpg

Maybe you meant the captain of the Grissom, Captain Esteban?

esteban.jpg
Survey says...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users