130 replies to this topic

#41 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:47 AM

If DST followed the Marvel Select route for Star Trek I think they would meet with more success. These should be high quality figures with diorama bases (Be it a bridge station, alien world or captains chair) These should have electronics (Lights and voices)- Imagine a Captain Kirk Chair that had the whole 5-year mission monologue. That would have sold well! It would also be great if diorama bases had some interactivity along the lines of Playmates- Simpson's World of Springfield sets! There's no reson why DST couldn't milk TOS and all of Star Trek for good diorama ideas! Neca did really well with thier diorama sets for "Pirates of the Carribean, Harry Potter, Friday the 13th, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc." DST is p@#sing away a good opportunity to give fans what they really want. What's sad is that you know it's something they are capable of just look at the Marvel Select offerings!

#42 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

I'm quite impressed with their Universal Monsters line too - it baffles the mind as to why they don't have the same level of quality with the Star Trek line.

#43 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

I don't think they turn out more then 3 or 4 Marvel Select figures a year do they? Hard to tell... its always sooooo long from when they are announced to when they are released.

What would be really cool is if they gave you a different bridge bit as part of the diorama, so that as you bought ea release you could build a bridge!

#44 Artistix

Artistix

Trek Toy.com Member of the Month Feb 2010

• Members
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

I like the Marvel Select set up idea.

Seeing 4 or 5 figures a year is better than seeing none. One figure alone could be Seven with the Alcove, that would be nice.

The QC did really drop with TNG wave 3. And QC aside the odd decisions made by DST's design team baffled me. Body choices being the main thing. Sisko? Ogawa? TNG O'Brien? simply aweful choices...like, mind blowing mystifying drool on my shirt type WTF decisions?

But, as usual, all that said, I will add how much I love DST & how glad I am they nabbed the license. The problems they have had with the line do not overshadow the fantastic things they did do...such as TWOK & the Captains chairs, adding characters Playmates did not get to such as Ogawa, Ezri & Martok & aiding EMCE with the returning Megos. Not to mention all the props & ships & stuff.

#45 weyoun_9

weyoun_9

Master of the pre order.

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:39 AM

The only problem I could imagine with the 4-5 figures a year process is the sheer number of characters and series to choose from. Assuming you stuck to TV only and rotated each series...that's one per series per year. If you started fresh with crews, then it would take 9 years or so before you got complete crews and you'd still not have any aliens.

Now, if you ran two lines this way, a "Starfleet" and an "Aliens" line, that might have some potential. I think people would need to believe that there was a committment not to stop too soon.

I love the figures w/set pieces idea, too.

Of course, while this conjecture is all great and fun...and I love that we all are so passionate about it...the likelihood is that we won't be seeing a lot on the action figure front for a while. Honestly, I'd be happy with Chapel, Rand, Quark, Jake, Yar, Guinan and the Voyager crew and I could consider my collection complete. I don't see that happening ever. sad.gif If I were to invest in a new line/scale...they'd have to be extremely detailed and I'd have to have some kind of assurance that the line would be completed correctly. DST would have to do a lot to get me to buy that.

#46 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:27 PM

4 to 5 figures per year is still better than no figures. Considering the state of the franchise right now, I'd take it. Beggars can't be choosers.

#47 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:24 PM

Well I think you have to forget about ever having a complete crew again. Even with Marvel Select, youll never a get anything even close to a whole X-men team for example. If this model was chosen, youd get the most popular characters done and thats it....sorry Chekov!

#48 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Nope, complete crews will probably only be feasible in 3 3/4" scale. That's why I love the scale. 7" is best for a collector scale. Instead of trying to catch the essence of an individual character the 7" scale could instead capture episode or story archs. Something like maybe Kirk and Spock with a light up Horta base from the NO KILL I scene or something similar with the Guardian of Forever! For TNG I'd love a couple of Holodeck Diorama sets. Picard,Data and Bev in Dixon Hill Attire with a set piece that showed maybe the Arch and light up holodeck grid and some of the 1940s scenery and another with Data and Geordie as Holmes and Watson with Victorian scenery. If they could do a few sets like this a year, I think fans would be happy. I think the casual consumer who might remember some of these episodes would pick these up, since it would be more like a display piece. The diorama pieces that DST did for Universal Monsters Deluxe 7" line would be a good starting point.

#49 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Aug 3 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, complete crews will probably only be feasible in 3 3/4" scale. That's why I love the scale. 7" is best for a collector scale. Instead of trying to catch the essence of an individual character the 7" scale could instead capture episode or story archs. Something like maybe Kirk and Spock with a light up Horta base from the NO KILL I scene or something similar with the Guardian of Forever! For TNG I'd love a couple of Holodeck Diorama sets. Picard,Data and Bev in Dixon Hill Attire with a set piece that showed maybe the Arch and light up holodeck grid and some of the 1940s scenery and another with Data and Geordie as Holmes and Watson with Victorian scenery. If they could do a few sets like this a year, I think fans would be happy. I think the casual consumer who might remember some of these episodes would pick these up, since it would be more like a display piece. The diorama pieces that DST did for Universal Monsters Deluxe 7" line would be a good starting point.

I like the idea but I wouldn't buy the themed Holodeck versions. I would however get any themed ones where they were in their uniforms. I realy hope that someone does a 3 3/4" line (detailed) that spans the from Enterprise to Voyager. Then they could do as many uniform and costume variations as they like.

I realy like the DST figures and most of what they have done with the license but I think they have made some bad choices as well. I hope they keep the license but revamp it and relaunch it with two scales. 3 3/4" and 7 inch but more detailed like the Battlestar and Stargate line.

#50 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:09 PM

I like the diorama idea a lot especially if they do fully articulated figure in that world. I would love a Guardian of Forever that lights up (doubt we'll ever see it though) or even a Dixon Hill sitting behind his desk. I would also love a 3 3/4" scale line to match.

#51 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (JMW326 @ Aug 3 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope they keep the license but revamp it and relaunch it with two scales. 3 3/4" and 7 inch but more detailed like the Battlestar and Stargate line.

For me the quality of the Stargate line was much lower then BSG or star Trek. I think BSG was probably a step up, I dropped the Star Gate line after about the 3rd wave, and I bought allot of BSG even though I've never seen the series because I thought they were done so nicely!

Sadly though, all three lines seem to have ended up in the same place sad.gif

#52 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:40 AM

Jean St John did the scuplting for BSG and SG and I think they were much better than what came out starting with DST's wave 2 of TNG.

#53 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

I love the SG1, SGA and BSG figures. I thought the detail was much better than the Star Trek line. More detailed with better accessories too. I would love for DST to do the future Star Trek figures like that.

#54 Jedigreedo

Jedigreedo

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

I have a few qualms with the Stargate's sculpting, but yeah, some of the TNG/DS9 figures in comparison to stuff like SG/BSG kind of look like they were rotocast.

#55 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2010 - 02:35 PM

I gotta say if DST asked Jean St. John to sculpt Star Trek stuff then the'd be no complaints from me. As for getting complete crews out I think they should release them all as expensive boxed sets retailing for $70.00 - $90.00 each or as single carfed figures for $30.00 each In limited runs of 500 of each figure: totally new sculpts of each character, new bodies, new articulation, new material's, new accessories, a stand with PEGS AND PEG HOLES for each - no re-use for the time being and totally start from scratch releasing FIVE box sets:

TOS: Figures from Season 1

Captain Kirk (Yellow Shirt, equipment belt, Phaser 1, Phaser 2, Phaser Rifle, communicator, Star Trek display stand, Interchangeable Hands and Heads (Action expression, standard expression)

Mr Spock (Blue shirt, Phaser 1, Phaser 2, Tri-corder, communicator, Star Trek display stand, Interchangeable Hands and head (Raised eyebrow, standard expression)

Dr McCoy (Medical shirt, Tri-corder, hypospray, medical kit, communicator, Phaser 2, Star Trek display stand, interchangeable hands and head (Classic exasperated McCoy expression, standard expression)

Uhura (Red shirt, Tri-corder, PADD & Pen, Phaser 2, Communicator, Star Trek display stand, interchangeable hands and head (Shocked expression, standard expression)

Scotty (Red shirt, Tri-Corder, bottle of scotch whisky, Engineering equipment, Phaser 2, Communicator, Tri-corder, Star Trek display stand, interchangeable hands and head (Classic Scotty expression, standard expression)

Sulu (Removable Yellow shirt body, Phaser 2, Tri-corder, communicator, *sword*, Star Trek display stand, interchangeable body (chest and stomach) as seen in season 1, interchangeable hands, interchangeable head (drugged Sulu expression from season 1 episode, standard expression)

Checkov (Yellow shirt, phaser 2, tri-corder, communicator, Star Trek display stand, interchangeable hands and head (cheeky smile expression, standard expression)

Chapel (Blue Nurse shirt, Medical equipment, Vulcan Plomic soup & tray, Star Trek display stand, interchangeable hands

TNG: Figures from Season 7

Picard (command red shirt, Phaser type 2, Tri-corder, flute, phaser rifle, Equipment belt, Borg drone body parts (interchange them between Picard's human arms and legs to create a half assimilated Picard), Interchangeable hands and head (In extreme agony expression, standard expression, post assimilation head) Star Trek display base)

Riker (command red shirt, phaser type 2, tri-corder, trombone, phaser rifle, equipment belt, Borg drone body parts (interchange them between Riker's human arms and legs to create a half assimilated Riker), Interchangeable hands and head (serious/angry expression, standard expression), Star Trek display base)

Data (yellow shirt, phaser type 2, tri-corder, Spot the cat, memory chip, phaser rifle, equipment belt, android body parts (interchange them with Data's "Skin" tone arms, legs and head) Interchangeable hands and head (Laughter expression, angry expression, standard expression) Star Trek display stand)

Troi (lavender counsellor suit, phaser type 2, tri-corder, PADD, Chocolate Sundae, Star Trek display stand, interchangeable hands)

Crusher (Blue/Green suit with removable Dr's coat, Phaser type 2, tri-corder, medical equipment, medical carry case, hypospray, Star Trek display stand, interchangeable hands)

Wesley Crusher (Early seasons uniform, anti-grav unit, academy bag, tri-corder, phaser type 1, Star Trek display base, Interchangeable hands)

Worf (Yellow suit, silver Klingon sash, gold Klingon sash, Phaser 1, Phaser 2, Phaser rifle, Bat'leth, Klingon blades, tri-corder, Star Trek display base, interchangeable hands and heads (standard head, stern expression head, angry expression head, season 1 ridges & hair), Interchangeable red season 1 uniform body and arms)

LaForge (yellow suit, removable visor, phaser 2, tri-corder, engineering equipment, Interchangeable badly wounded in plasma explosion arms and legs, anti-grav medical bed W/ clear stand, interchangeable hands, Star Trek display base)

DS9: Figures from Season 3

Sisko (red suit, phaser 2, phaser rifle, tri-corder, base ball, base ball cap, Orb, interchangeable hands and heads (standard expression, season 1 face w/ hair, angry battle ravaged expression) Star Trek display base)

Dax (Jadiza Dax, blue suit, phaser 2, phaser rifle, tri-corder, PADD, Orb, interchangeable hands and head (Standard expression, Battle ravaged face) Star Trek display base)

Bashire (Blue shirt, medical kit, phaser 2, hypospray, medical carry case, interchangeable hands) Star Trek display base)

O'Brien (yellow shirt, PADD, Phaser 2, Phaser rifle, bottle of irish drink, Interchangeable hands and head (Standard expression, battle ravaged face) Star Trek Display base)

Odo (Bajoran uniform, Security PADD, Bucket, interchangeable body parts (Liquid arms, legs and head) Star Trek display base)

Quark (Bar tender suit, Ferengi Phaser, Gold Pressed Latinum, Star Trek display base, interchangeable hands and head (Shocked expression, standard expression)

Kira (Bajoran command uniform, Bajoran Phaser, Bajoran Phaser Rifle, PADD, Interchangeable hands and head (standard expression, battle ravaged face) Star Trek display base)

Nog (Starfleet Season 7 Uniform, Phaser, Phaser rifle, Tri-Corder, PADD, Star Trek display base, Interchangeable hands and body parts (standard arms, legs, head, partially blown off legs, battle ravaged arms, torn off battle ravaged ear W/ agony expression)

You get the idea...

VOYAGER: Figures from Season 7

Janeway

7of9

The Doctor

Chackotay

Tores

Paris

Kim

Tuvok

ENTERPRISE: Figures from Season 3.

Archer

T'Pol

Tucker

Reed

Mayweather

Sato

Phlox

#56 The_Donster

The_Donster

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • Interests:OMG!! Clearly my hobby is getting away from me at the moment if anyone remembers the pics of my collection on the old AA forum. While mine isn't as focused as Mark's, it's start to rival his, lol. Long answer short, too many to narrow down.

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

1701, please no more wish lists and can you possible keep your threads to a paragraph? I have another board where they are driving me nuts with constantly turning threads into them and honestly in my old age, my attention span isn't that long to weed through the point you are trying to make wink.gif Not to mention it's been said for years now why DST and several other toy companies reuse body parts. Yes, the customisers have clearly shown why their choices aren't always the best for the particular crewman, it's the nature of the beast. So most of your points are liking poking a stick at the dead horse some of us have beaten to death over the years biggrin.gif

#57 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

Wow 1701. What you described there reminds me a bit of these:

http://www.mwctoys.c...IEW_031208b.htm

I was thinking DST should do something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...4=263602_263622

or)

http://www.necaonlin...ct/detail/30101

But Star Trek would be cool as snap kit figures too!

#58 Sybeck1

Sybeck1

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

I would love them to attempt some borg waves, with cool alcoves, with some sexy 7 of 9 figures myself. If that won't sale nothing will. Ooops I guess they already tried that. What I am trying to say is there is no widespread demand for Trek, which is sad.

Star Trek is such an iconic genre, it is a shame 4 or 5 high quality, high detail figures can't sell each year. I have seen collectors from 5 continents on this and old AA boards (never saw anyone from Africa or Ice Station Zebra) which would make you think a standard run would have the demand, but they don't. Can't even sale out a special entry of 1701 figures. Seems to me that amount should sale out in the New York City metro, given the past history of Trek, but they don't.

I mean many of us have done our part. Bought figures of dubious quality at time, and even bought the same figures over and over in different packaging and extras for customizing. We are a very niche market and we seem to be going the way of the dinosaur. A scale change didn't work, it only created aisles and aisles of peg warmers that now fill clearance bins, and ruined the taste of the general big box stores for Trek even longer.

I just hope this last long enough for that great Mark Lenard Romulan to come out and I would consider it over for me.

#59 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

I know this isn't a very popular notion, but unless TPB put out new media on a regular basis, I think Star Trek is destined to fade into a property like Planet of The Apes.

POA was a phenomenon. Movies, merchandising, cartoon series, TV Series, Books etc...

It was real leader in much of the merchandising regards, It still has huge fans around the world, but what we see are only occasional new product for collectors, and sometimes a new movie (like the poorly done remake done a few years ago).

The next movie in 2012 will set the tone, but I worry that a new movie every 4 years won't really cut it. What do they do after a making 2 or 3 movies? Re-launch the series again?

#60 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Aug 5 2010, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this isn't a very popular notion, but unless TPB put out new media on a regular basis, I think Star Trek is destined to fade into a property like Planet of The Apes.

POA was a phenomenon. Movies, merchandising, cartoon series, TV Series, Books etc...

It was real leader in much of the merchandising regards, It still has huge fans around the world, but what we see are only occasional new product for collectors, and sometimes a new movie (like the poorly done remake done a few years ago).

That already happened to Star Trek a long time ago. Then, TNG came along and completely reinvented the series, revitalized it for the current generation (of kids and adults) at that time, and launched a new era of Star Trek that exceeded the previous TOS phenomenon in every way. And now that has faded.

If you have faith in the message & format of Star Trek as an enduring one then all you can do is wait for that to happen again. Every Star Trek fan pinned their hopes on this film and IMO it failed to deliver but the jury is still out since there are more films in the pipe. I don't really think film is the proper delivery for Star Trek so I don't expect it to work. Even if it does fail, that doesn't mean there won't be another try some day. smile.gif

BTW, if you are a POA fan you can pin your resurrection hopes on 2011's Rise of the Apes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users