• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#21 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:41 AM

I don't mind if members make long posts / replies. 1701 has his opinion and he's free to share it. I'm pretty sure I know what it is by now w/o re-reading most of his posts, but I'm glad that Alex is responding to to 1701's posts, as its a new perspective. Plus, as Alex pointed out we may all learn something new about the way Star Trek merchandizing is licensed, and I think thats the point of the topic.

#22 JMW326

JMW326

If I don't have it, they never made one.

• Members
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

I agree that some of the long winded posts are a bit much. People have a right to express themselves but this is a discusssion forum not a blog. Evwery now and then writing a long post is going to happen. We have all done it., But every response running on and on is a little much and somehting I dont want to have to read through to find a point. If you have that much to say about this stuff then maybe a blog is the way to go instead of clogging up a discussion forum.

#23 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:54 AM

There are no rules on the length of posts only preference. Lets please get back on topic of the license. There are rules on that.

#24 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Alex @ Jul 25 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1701, after reading your post I admittedly became curious about which one of us was correct regarding the licensing, and... it appears that we are both wrong. According to Viacom's corporate website, Paramount Merchandising handles the licensing for all products pertaining to Paramount Pictures properties, including "Star Trek." If Rick, BadBunnyMike, or someone else "in the know" could chime in and set the record straight though, that'd be great.

This is the link where I got my research from; http://trekmovie.com...tractions-more/

I was always under the impression that CBS Products or whatever they are owned the brand name where as Paramount Pictures owned the rights to the actual productions of every Star Trek movie - they own the creative side of the franchise (besides the TV shows which are owned by CBS).

I've just had a look at my QMx Star Trek 2009 pins - on the bottom of the packaging round the back it reads:

#25 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 26 2010, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are no rules on the length of posts only preference. Lets please get back on topic of the license. There are rules on that.

Oops, My apologies, I posted my reply to Alex before I read this... Back on topic!

Putting my personal opinions aside and focusing on the present day, Diamond Select Toys still have their license, I can assume/speculate until I'm all the colours of the rainbow in the face but the fact is that DST still have a license. I would just like to say that i wouldn't mind them keeping it as long as they drastically improve on quality and produce totally new stuff using new technologies to do so and to really push the license.

I know bodies are going to be reused and variants of characters produced but my god apart from their ship line (which still has quality issues) - they have done sweet FA to make their Star Trek action figure line appealing. It's all so bloody dull.

#26 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • Interests:"Are you sure it isn't time for a colorful metaphor?"

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

Yeah some posts here are long winded, but man that last one by 1701, really says what I feel right now. Paramount/CBS aren't buying that franchise fatigue/ licensing fatigue crap anymore! It got Berman and Braga the boot. DST and Playmates might be next! Like the Bob Dylan song says "The Times They Are A-Changin' ", so too is Star Trek!

#27 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

The thing about all this licensing buisness that intrigues me most is this, "If CBS owns the Star Trek name, why is Star Trek not shown on CBS' network?" It was shown on FOX in syndication in TNG era, on UPN as well. Spike and SCIFY( Who are both under MTV's banner, I believe) had a run of the shows a while. Now BBC has the show. In my lifetime I don't remember ever seeing Star Trek on CBS. I was born in 1973 so maybe some time from 1966-1973 it may have been shown on a CBS affiliate. Anyone care to speculate?

#28 knightone

knightone

If I don't have it, It's on preorder.

• Members
  • 2,235 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

CBS only merged with Paramount Television in 2006.

Even so, CBS has produced shows for other networks before, for example "Caroline in the City" was produced by CBS and aired on NBC in the 1990's.

Syndication deals are also worked out with individual stations separately. And previous Treks were made specifically for the syndication market. At the Voyager and Enterprise were produced, CBS was not under the Paramount flag (or vice versa) and Paramount Television owned UPN at the time, so that is who got to air the two series.

I'm sure if CBS wanted to produce their own Trek series, they could easily do so. Like with most others, the desire to produce Trek seems to be non-existent.

#29 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, prior to 2006, Paramount Television owned the rights, and UPN was also Paramount, but TNG, DS9, and VOY were targeted to go into syndication right off the bat. That was the initial business model. It worked because there just wasn't as much competition back then, but as all the cable stations sprung up, the competition for air space got greater and Star Trek's audience shrank.

#30 Alex

Alex

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 926 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

All right, I'm going to try this the way VulcanFanatic suggested, and split the post into multiple parts to make it easier to read. If others find the multi-part posts more manageable, I'll try to use them more frequently.

1701, I want to let you know that I did read your entire post, and I do agree with you on several points but I disagree with you on others. I want to touch on "Star Wars" one more time very briefly and then I'll get back on topic with regards to the license. Also, if you wouldn't mind sharing what was wrong with your Enterprise-D, I'd absolutely love to know, because I purchased two of them, and aside from the "missing windows" defect (which has one official and several unofficial fixes,) both of mine are absolutely flawless, as were most of them from what I understand. (Duds are inevitable in any mass produced item.)

THX1138 was made by Lucas when he was in college as a "final project" of sorts, and was good enough to be released to a mass (non-college) audience; this is how Lucas was discovered by FOX. All Film/TV majors are required to produce some sort of film on their own in lieu of a "senior seminar," in schools where the aforementioned major focuses on the creative rather than the business aspect of film/TV production. (I should know, I went to one of each.) George Lucas conceptualized "Star Wars" when he was in college, stating that he wanted to make a "modern day Flash Gordon," but it was almost universally panned by his professors as being a waste of time. Fox liked the idea though, and they agreed to pay for half of the film's production, provided that they had some say in the end-result of the product. Lucas couldn't afford to produce Star Wars on his own, and no other studio would even touch the idea, so Lucas agreed to this idea, and the rest, as they say, is history. (ESB and onward were produced directly out of George Lucas' pocket since he quit the Director's Guild, had a good deal of money from the first "Star Wars" film, and didn't want FOX "meddling" with his idea.) In fact, before Lucas began writing revisionist history in the mid-90s, he openly admitted that "Star Wars" was supposed to be a feature-length take on children's shows like "Flash Gordon," and that it was aimed at children. As noted before, it just happened to do much better than either FOX or Lucas himself expected that it would, and it did well with adults, which was unexpected as well. (Don't get me started on how the facts have magically changed in the DVD commentary from earlier materials, or have been conveniently omitted.)

Okay, back on topic. Before we continue though, I want to point out that I read the entire TrekMovie interview, and checked the date: it's from March of this year, (2010) and that's very important because a couple of things have changed since the 2009 movie was licensed, produced, and even shown in theaters. I'm going to quote bgiles73 here because he raises an important question that's incredibly relevant. While we're still talking about the interview though, let me state that as an aside, I'm really looking forward to those Haynes Guides, and hope that the Enterprise-E is one of the first to be given said guide. (I loved the old technical manuals like the one from TNG, and this appears to be the modern equivalent.) All right, here's bgiles73's post:

#31 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

QUOTE (bgiles73 @ Jul 26 2010, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing about all this licensing buisness that intrigues me most is this, "If CBS owns the Star Trek name, why is Star Trek not shown on CBS' network?" It was shown on FOX in syndication in TNG era, on UPN as well. Spike and SCIFY( Who are both under MTV's banner, I believe) had a run of the shows a while. Now BBC has the show. In my lifetime I don't remember ever seeing Star Trek on CBS. I was born in 1973 so maybe some time from 1966-1973 it may have been shown on a CBS affiliate. Anyone care to speculate?

As I noted above, this is an excellent question. When TOS was initially produced, it was produced by Desilu Studios, Gene Roddenberry's "Norway Corporation," and broadcast on NBC for the '66-67 season. Desilu went under during production, and Gulf+Western, purchased Desilu's entire library of programs, renamed the studio Paramount Television, and offered Ms. Ball the opportunity to continue producing the shows that she was previously working on, including TOS. I reserve the right to be wrong about this, but I believe that Roddenberry's "Norway Corporation" was controlled by Desilu, because I don't see it credited beyond the '66-67 season. As we all know, TOS was cancelled by NBC, but not before 79 episodes were produced allowing it to be syndicated.

Gulf+Western had already owned Paramount Pictures for some time, and had made several failed attempts at entering the television business prior to the acquisition of Desilu, including deals with the defunked DuMont Network, (which in an odd way, is a direct-predecessor to FOX, right down to FOX's first two transmitters--Google them for more information,) and a 1950's attempt at their own network known as Telemont (Television + Paramount) that never got off the ground. Gulf+Western made another attempt at creating a "Paramount Television Network," which as well all know, would've launched Phase II before it too became another failed attempt by Gulf+Western to enter the business of Network TV ownership.

Gulf+Western decided to do what they had been doing successfully for their next attempt at a "Star Trek" TV series, and TNG was produced for first-run syndication by Paramount Television. Initially, Gulf+Western dabbled in the idea of cable, but Gene Roddenberry was completely adamantly against it--remember, in the '80s, cable TV was a joke, it was only in 1998 that Cable actually overtook broadcast television in terms of viewers and popularity, and that's a trend that continues to this day. Gulf+Western was about to meet the same fate as Desilu though, after initially restructuring as "Paramount Communications Inc.," named after Paramount Pictures and continued business failures, Gulf+Western sold itself to Viacom in 1989. As Paramount Communications Inc., Gulf+Western had cut deals with Time Warner and FOX though, so TNG aired on Time Warner's WB as well as FOX.

As a result of Gulf+Western's restructuring and TNG's success, all licenses for Star Trek spin-offs were renegotiated, and Filmation's TAS was "decanonized" by Gene Roddenberry in the process. Trek-related merchandise, including Novels and Toys was prohibited from using any concepts from TAS. The firestorm this created among fans is well documented, and after Roddenberry's death in 1991, and the firing of Richard H. Arnold who vetted the licenses for him, TAS references returned to Trek. On June 27, 2007, the official "Star Trek" website added TAS references to its library and declared that TAS was once again "canon" Trek material. The late Majel-Barrett Roddenberry and Eugene Roddenberry Jr. apparently believed that this is the direction Gene ultimately would have taken and approved of the change.

The Viacom of 1989 handled the rest of TNG, as well as DS9, continuing the "first-run syndication" of Trek up until 1996, when DS9 moved to UPN alongside Voyager. It's important to note that Viacom (VIdeo Audio COMmunications) was originally known as CBS Films Inc. in 1971, changed it's name the same year, and in 1973, was spun-off after an FCC ruling stated that TV networks couldn't own syndication companies. (The ruling was later repealed.)

In 1995, Viacom successfully did what Gulf+Western couldn't: Paramount Television, in conjunection with United Television, formed a network known as the United Paramount Network, or UPN. As we all know, this was the "successful" Paramount Network, and it launched with "Star Trek: Voyager." A year later, DS9 was moved to this network as well.

Viacom's entire corporate existence, (note the past-tense,) and by extension Paramount Television's existence, consisted of being perpetually bought and sold in what some have dubbed a "string of acquisitions." In 1999, Viacom announced their most ambitious acquisition to date: They were going to buy their parent company at the time, the CBS Corporation. The "little fish eats big fish" merger/buyout was approved, and Viacom owned CBS rather than the other way around. It's worth noting that the CBS Corporation had previously been known as Westinghouse Electronics, before 1997 (Westinghouse acquired the CBS name in '97,) and one of the channels that Viacom acquired with CBS was TNN, which became Spike TV.

In 2005, the same year that "Enterprise" was canceled, Viacom as it was formerly known ceased to exist. Les Moonves of CBS, and Tom Freston of MTV had been perpetually fueding for several years, and talk began about splitting the company in two. Once Mel Karmazin left the company in 2004 to head over to SIRIUS Satellite Radio, (which acquired XM in the merger that created SIRIUS/XM Satellite Radio,) the split became feasible. Sumner Redstone, Viacom's CEO was set to retire in a few years, and splitting the company seemed like the best way to replace him.

On June 14, 2005, Viacom became the CBS Corporation; this is the CBS that we know today. The CBS Corporation retained the rights to CBS, the CW (a merger of UPN and the WB,) CBS Radio, Simon & Schuster, Viacom Outdoor (now CBS Outdoor,) Showtime, CBS/Paramount Television, (more on that in a moment,) CBS Television Distribution, CBS Studios International and more.

At the same time, a new spin-off company, also named "Viacom" was created, this "new" Viacom is headed by Tom Freston, and controls "old" Viacom's cable networks, including MTV, and other properties including and Paramount Pictures movie studios and home entertainment operations. At the time that Trek XI was in development, new Paramount Pictures licenses under "new Viacom" had to be created for all new Paramount Pictures products--including Trek, the CBS Corporation ("old Viacom") retained the rights to all previous Trek products, and any new TV shows. The Paramount name was split between CBS and Viacom, because of the existence of CBS/Paramount Television under the CBS Corporation and Paramount Pictures under "new Viacom," and it remained that way until shortly after the release of Trek XI.

On May 15th of 2009, one week after the release of Trek XI, CBS/Paramount Television changed its name to CBS Television Studios; the "Paramount" name had been on loan for over three-years as a result of the aforementioned split. Paramount Television's existence ended in 2005 when it became CBS/Paramount Television, and CBS/Paramount Television's existence ended in 2009 when it became CBS Television Studios.

#32 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 926 posts

So, to summerize/condense a rather complex answer to bgiles' question, the reason CBS never ran a new "Star Trek" TV series, is because the CBS that controls the rights to Trek now, wasn't CBS until Trek was no longer in production. Network TV channels generally don't rerun old TV shows the way that cable channels do, Spike TV was owned by the same company that owned Trek when they had the rights to it. SyFy/Sci-Fi is owned by NBC/Universal but still has the rights to cablecast TNG I believe, but for the first two years of their existence, Universal was a separate company from NBC, and Viacom partnered with them to Create Sci-Fi before selling their portion of the channel, which NBC bought before buying out Universal. Viacom/Paramount and CBS used to be one company, but they aren't anymore; although they frequently cross-license products to each other. The BBC likely has the rights to TOS because they paid whatever CBS was asking for them; if The CBS Corporation wanted to license Trek to themselves, they'd still have to draw up a contract with their affiliate company, CBS Television Distribution or to the CW as a matter of legal procedure. TOS remastered has been syndicated on the CW, and NBC, the former of which is owned by The CBS Corporation. Trek has been shown on CBS Corporation-owned networks, just not on the CBS Network itself. If a new Trek series is created, it will likely go to either CBS or the CW. To the best of my knowledge the name change from CBS/Paramount Television to CBS Television Studios does NOT affect DST's Trek license, because it's not under a different corporate banner.

Media companies are in a merging/splitting blitz these days. You can't turn around without one company buying or selling or splitting or merging with another anymore. This is the way mass media works: If you Google the Columbia Journalism Review's "Who owns what," you'll find a great little website that tries to keep track of all of this. The person who maintains "Who owns what," is a manned named Dr. Moore, who teaches at the four-year University that I attended. Although I never had him personally for any of my classes, despite the fact that he taught in my field of study, I walked passed his office almost every day for a year and a half, and I can assure you, as soon as he updates "Who Owns What," it's out of date again because of the speed at which mass media companies change hands.

The interview that 1701 provided is certainly interesting. I'm glad to see that we'll have new Hot-wheels ships in the future, although it further confirms that the "no master toy licensee" rule, at least not in the traditional sense, is still in effect for Trek. I should note that Van Citters didn't say that Playmates had lost or dropped the license, he just said that he didn't think we'd see anything from them in 2010, which as I noted, is common among toy licensees with the rights to films. Likewise, he pointed to what DST already had shown as the latest, but not last, or "final" offerings from them indicating that there's obviously more to come. Again, I'd like to thank him for the link, which makes me wonder if Viacom's corporate website is out of date with its licensing information.

Okay, hopefully that's shorter than usual. smile.gif

#33 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

Alex, thats a lot of info however interesting it might be your mistaken on one thing as far as I'm concerned and as far as the Star Trek franchise is concerned; CBS Consumer Products own the rights to the Star Trek brand (licensing, merchandise) NOT Paramount Pictures - As a franchise (the very definition of one), Star Trek is jointly owned between both Paramount Pictures (Movie production and DVD distribution) and CBS (branding, licensing and TV shows and Trek TV DVD distribution). Both companies would be involved with all aspects of Star Trek but only one of each will ever own the rights to certain parts of it. The key to success with Star Trek being split up between two large studio's lies with both parties being happy with their slice of the pie and with deals being struck up by the two of them to ensure maximum profit with Trek for both companies, one example of this was CBS agreed with Paramount not produce a Trek TV show before Abrams had successfully completed his first movie. Since in the past what was one company produced and owned Star Trek - two companies now own it and have split the franchise up as afore mentioned. In theory CBS could do what they want with their half of the franchise however, the deals that are in place would make that move undesirable since both agreed to own various parts of the franchise that would in effect make them as much money as one another - CBS for example got the licensing, the Brand name if you like and Paramount Pictures obviously got the movie deals with each keeping the rights to produce and distribute the TV and movie's on DVD (Paramount - movies and CBS - TV) - this in a very convoluted way has a lot to do with DST and the future of their license with CBS Consumer Products. Paramount will probably have no real interest in this license - they are going to be far more concerned with who gets the license to produce the toys and merchandise for the movie - working with CBS to find a company who'll deliver a better product for an enticing deal. CBS and Paramount together might be interested in having the one company produce toys from both the "classic" franchise and the new movies as i've said before. I just don't see the good business sense for CBS to keep DST if Paramount and CBS get someone like Hasbro and Lego onboard for the next movie. Both companies seem content with their slice of the Star Trek pie and it only makes sense for them to make money off of it - CBS aren't making money off of DST - simple as that - what I could see happening if contracts prohibit CBS from taking the license from DST is letting them run with it until their license ends whilst giving the "master toy license" to the likes of Hasbro - a company renowned for it's innovative and popular toys with a broad market including kids as well as collectors and older fans. Other companies I wouldn't put it past CBS Consumer Products to line up for the franchise would be Lego, a console game maker and other well known brands. I think we've only seen the tip of the iceberg in terms of marketing this franchise which makes perfect sense since no one really knew how well the new movie would do - turns out it did well which would probably be slightly bad news for DST - a small, unknown entity being engulfed by the positive (in terms of business) changes in a multi-billion dollar franchise...

... the only other thing I could see happening is that DST get to keep a trimmed down license that would let them continue making what they make for Star Wars and their Mini-Mate license too, as for action figures and actual toys - I'd expect that license to go to a company in the same league as Hasbro which at the moment is well just Hasbro...

#34 bgiles73

bgiles73

Will work for toys.

• Members
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

All very interesting reading here. It's amazing how licensing deals are more complicated than quantum physics! LOL! I'm inclined to agree with 1701 in that DST will probably be given a trimmed down license in the future. If DST Star Trek figures become limited maybe they will be similar to the quality of the Marvel Select Line! I could see DST carrying on with Tech, Ships and Retro-Cloth without problems. Mini-mates might be a conflict of interest if the Lego name became attatched to the Star Trek franchise, but wouldn't it be great if Lego could do a little cross-licensing and bring Mini-mates into their world of building blocks and videogames?

#35 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

He he! I don't think that was quite what VF had in mind Alex, but thanks for all the information. It's good to see a nice vibrant discussion guys, but in the end I fundamentally think DST makes a good product for the price point. I also agree that Star Trek merchandizing seems to be better then its been in years, but sadly, I don't see toys getting much interest or love.

Ultimately this forum is supposed to be a DST forum, and the only product that DST makes are action figures, ships and role play toys, so none of the rest is really consequential respectively.

No matter what company you pick, they all have their issues. I can go to any other toy forum on the web and regardless of if its NECA, Hasbro, or Mattel, there is never a shortage of people that are upset with the product any particular company makes.

I was really quite happy when Playmates got the license for last years movie. Mainly because it offered variety so that DST detractors had other options. Sadly it didn't seem to make very many happy, and I think if Playmates had offered a better product it might have been received better, and even if DST kept making product it would have been good for both companies.

#36 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 27 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He he! I don't think that was quite what VF had in mind Alex, but thanks for all the information. It's good to see a nice vibrant discussion guys, but in the end I fundamentally think DST makes a good product for the price point. I also agree that Star Trek merchandizing seems to be better then its been in years, but sadly, I don't see toys getting much interest or love.

Ultimately this forum is supposed to be a DST forum, and the only product that DST makes are action figures, ships and role play toys, so none of the rest is really consequential respectively.

No matter what company you pick, they all have their issues. I can go to any other toy forum on the web and regardless of if its NECA, Hasbro, or Mattel, there is never a shortage of people that are upset with the product any particular company makes.

I was really quite happy when Playmates got the license for last years movie. Mainly because it offered variety so that DST detractors had other options. Sadly it didn't seem to make very many happy, and I think if Playmates had offered a better product it might have been received better, and even if DST kept making product it would have been good for both companies.

Great points! I totally agree with the fact that every company has it's problems and detractors too but when it comes to DST I do get a sense that they don't really know what to do or where to go and how to go about doing something to the best of their abilities. It's all a bit sporadic with DST where as with NECA and Hasbro they seem established and know their focus and they make their product to the same spec, and by and large quality with those companies Is better than that of DST. DST seem to want to have their fingers in all the pies, lets do action figures! lets do Ships, lets do role-play, lets do this, without having the infrastructure to do all of those things well. Their intensions are noble, they make Star Trek product with the best intentions but I still don't believe they really know what to do with the license now other than re-release stuff from the past.

By and large, DST's Star Trek line has been a solid effort, The first few waves of TNG were amazing and their Enterprise - E although missing features (play cover, detail) that we were used to with AA, the build quality and materials used by and large were superior to that of recent ships like the HD 1701, WoK 1701 and even in some respect, especially the materials and electronics with the 1701 - D. Quality has always been a major issue for me, I think DST are shocking at quality control and ever since the LaForge & Data wave quality has diminished in all of DST's products - everything feels cheaper which isn't a good thing. It's In recent years though they've relied too much on re-used figures, re-release after re-release and not enough new product to balance it out, so speaking for myself, I got bored of collecting DST stuff. The company is unknown in many respects due to a lack of anything that resembles a major advertising campaign, they seem to lack the basic resources to handle a multi-billion dollar franchise/license where as other companies in the same league handle licenses as big if not bigger than Trek much better, and they haven't really enjoyed much in the way of publicity. Their products might be "Solid" but there nothing to write home about and I think if Star Trek is to make a go at becoming more mainstream - which in every respect it's owners want - then is DST the right company to be having a license that could be given to another company who have a bit more of a public profile.

With Playmates I think from the outset it was a bad choice to go with, especially with Hasbro being interested. I'm not sure what the deal was with going for Playmates over Hasbro but Hasbro's offer must not have been a good one - surprising really considering they pretty much work with Paramount Pictures - however, as I said, CBS makes the decisions regarding licensing of their brand. Playmates to me have never had the "boys" toys market like Hasbro have had - their last big line was The Simpsons and whilst films like King Kong have had toys made by them, Playmates simply don't have the brand recognition (regardless of the Michael Jackson line which is just bizarre) with kids as Hasbro do - had Star Trek been released under Hasbro - it may have only lasted as long as 2009 but I am sure like the Indiana Jones line we would have gotten a lot more from Hasbro - Plus due to the success of the movie, Hasbro would have probably wanted to keep it where as Playmates just threw it away - Hasbro would have also offered a far better portfolio for Star Trek to sit along side: Star Wars, Transformers, GI-Joe, all the cross-overs to entice people to look at a Trek line, board game tie-ins, Hasbro are king when it comes to toys especially the market Star Trek should be focused on - Kids and collectors! - the other major factor was that whilst Playmates were at the forefront of toy innovation in the early 1990's - they have simply fallen behind Hasbro as a leader in toy manufacturing. The Star Trek 09 toys from them were dated, dull, cheap and tacky and unimaginative. If CBS go with them again for the 2nd film then I would see that as a massive error on CBS's part - Perhaps Paramount will urge them to go with Hasbro or someone new - certainly they will have been looking at companies, talking with companies over the last year and throughout 2010 at Toy Fair and perhaps SDCC about licensing for Star Trek for 2012.

All in all I think 2011 will probably be the year licenses get shook up, Maybe that will involve DST being given a reduced licence, perhaps Playmates and DST will come together, maybe there will be no change just more companies coming in or perhaps there will be a massive shake up and CBS will want all new companies to shake it up a bit in an attempt to do to the licensing as Paramount did with the franchise itself...

#37 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:21 AM

I'll try and keep it brief so VF doesn't nod off roflmao.gif

QUOTE (1701 @ Jul 27 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DST seem to want to have their fingers in all the pies, lets do action figures! lets do Ships, lets do role-play, lets do this, without having the infrastructure to do all of those things well.

Actually, DST kind of picked up where AA left off. It was AA that had there fingers in all pies.... but at 1st, as I recall, all DST did was re-release the same AA Star Trek Phaser in every possible re-paint variant. People were really upset that DST wouldn't expand the "Trek Tek" line, and now that they have it s seems they have (again for the price) put out several really good products! The TOS Communicator and TWOK Phaser have been great! The TOS Tri-corder has its issues with the electronics, but IMO they are minor. They seem to have hit a stride with Role Play, and it seems to sell! I've picked up most of the ships, and I really dig the Ent D, but I wouldn't say that ships really get me that excited so maybe they arent that great, but again, as a "toy" they seem pretty good to me. Anyhow, I guess my point is it seems DST started out with the intention of just doing action figures, but they don't seem to sell and Ships and Role play do.

By and large, DST's Star Trek line has been a solid effort, The first few waves of TNG were amazing...

I thought they were too. That's not to say that they didn't have issues, but they were a solid effort, also there have been standouts afterwards too. Odo is the one I always think of.

I think DST are shocking at quality control and ever since the LaForge & Data wave quality has diminished in all of DST's products - everything feels cheaper which isn't a good thing.

DST has said the sales of even the 1st few waves of TNG were just never what they expected. Wave 3 was a disaster, and in a way I don't know that DST ever really recovered the faith in allot of consumers from that wave. I should add, I thought I was done with DST after wave 3, but then they put out the TWOK product, and I'm glad they did! I think most of the TWOK figures were well done!

My "River Dance Trek" picture says it all!

I only fixed most of my DST "Legs" when sites like BBTS clearanced out the DS9 sisko for $3 ea.

#38 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Gothneo @ Jul 28 2010, 03:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll try and keep it brief so VF doesn't nod off roflmao.gif

LOL tongue.gif

Actually, DST kind of picked up where AA left off. It was AA that had there fingers in all pies.... but at 1st, as I recall, all DST did was re-release the same AA Star Trek Phaser in every possible re-paint variant. People were really upset that DST wouldn't expand the "Trek Tek" line, and now that they have it s seems they have (again for the price) put out several really good products! The TOS Communicator and TWOK Phaser have been great! The TOS Tri-corder has its issues with the electronics, but IMO they are minor. They seem to have hit a stride with Role Play, and it seems to sell! I've picked up most of the ships, and I really dig the Ent D, but I wouldn't say that ships really get me that excited so maybe they arent that great, but again, as a "toy" they seem pretty good to me. Anyhow, I guess my point is it seems DST started out with the intention of just doing action figures, but they don't seem to sell and Ships and Role play do.

True, then maybe the problem was that they lost a lot of custom due to several issues at the start of their license:

- were unwilling it seemed to expand the Star Trek line overall, rather than producing mixed lines with incentives to buy each wave of figures they stuck to a basic formula - sticking to the basic characters and re-releasing old AA product over and over again.

- The varient system DST used with their Buffy range didn't work with Star Trek due to the variety of popular characters available for DST to create action figures for. I for one only ever got one of each character at first, I just wanted the TNG crew but would have killed for Gowron or a TNG Romulan etc... I thought that whilst I loved the quality of the TNG wave 1 and 2 figures, the selection could have definitely been better.

- changed the scale with their product perhaps disappointing many that wanted them to keep to the scale Art Asylum set with their TOS line - 6/7 inches - to me it seemed that DST's figures got bigger as they went on and lost all kind of scale and proportion - especially with some ridiculous body reuse.

- aside from the first and second TNG line, DST lacked the quality we were used to with Art Asylum - detail seemed to become simpler in the figures and the materials used seemed to get cheaper and more fragile - and whilst these figures aren't really meant for "kids" they are expected to not break on opening the packaging.

Back in 2006 obviously Star Trek was a hard sell - Now, after the success of the first new movie, I'm not so sure, with the right product and released at the right time, like the movie, the toy line could be successful - but in 2006 and AA's 5 years before DST, flogging Star Trek was like flogging a dead horse - however, AA and DST didn't feel that they needed to stop production then so obviously they felt that with the right product, they seemed to think they could make a profit so could it have been the wrong product? Did they miss chances? did they lose interest in the consumer because they weren't giving us the variety of characters we would have wanted? I think so, now they can't sell anything and blame it on their opinion that Star Trek doesn't sell... why doesn't it sell? Surely the success of last years movie proved to the world that Star Trek CAN reach a wider audience and CAN be successful in doing so. My frustration with DST is that we all know they are capable of producing good product but with Star Trek the seem far too scared and this is why I believe they should give it up really, unless they are willing to risk everything (which no company should do), they aren't the right company to produce Trek anymore, Star Trek needs a company big enough that if the best possible line was put out and didn't sell, they could cope with the losses. In these tight times I can think of only one company big enough to gamble with it - Hasbro - and lets not kid ourselves, Hasbro would also want to play it safe but we would get a larger variety of figures and ships, role-play and other toys from them than we have gotten with DST....

Back to DST though...

When the TWoK line came along (which I loved) I feel it was too little too late - the damage had been done by chances not taken and bad management. Although Digger's Art Asylum produced highly detailed product, Paramount insisting they release Enterprise product first hurt them bad as we all know and when they finally had to sell to DST - DST didn't take the chance to shake the license up - by 2006 they must have known that Paramount had lined up JJ Abrams to direct a revival movie to encourage a broader audience into the franchise - why didn't they hold onto the license then? It makes no sense for DST to be using the excuse that Star Trek doesn't sell when they've been selling Star Trek product since 2006!! What I believe has happened is like you say, a loss of faith with the consumer because of their decisions back in 2006 - they have never got back the people they lost because... their bad product outweighs their solid efforts - the last solid action figure effort was, I agree, Odo and that was years ago, every other figure has either been canceled (The borg line, Salt Vampire) or a re-used body (Gowron, Martok).

I should add, I thought I was done with DST after wave 3, but then they put out the TWOK product, and I'm glad they did! I think most of the TWOK figures were well done!

I think unfortunately I am sure we were one of the few hoping for something better (sometimes I think the only people who stick by DST are some of the people here!) - we we're rewarded with TWoK but after the sales for that weren't stellar, the quality resumed it's downward spiral. Such a shame - I think had they held the line for 2 years after they got it after buying out Art Asylum, producing a bare minimum of product to make them having a license worth while, It may have done better, being released as promotional product for the new movie and having the level of quality of TNG wave 1 (Riker and Worf) we would have probably been overjoyed with DST's product, because when it's done right, and they reuse only the bare minimum of parts, and of course when the planets align - they do some solid stuff - It's never going to be WOW factor stuff but it's solid enough for people to enjoy owning.

My "River Dance Trek" picture says it all!

I only fixed most of my DST "Legs" when sites like BBTS clearanced out the DS9 sisko for $3 ea.

HAHA, see this just makes me cringe!, what specialist toy company would release stuff like that!!!! It's just been a series of bad decisions mixed with bad management (I mean they used the same bloody mould for the recent TMP 2 packs!!!!! COME ON!!!), they can't keep blaming the popularity of Star Trek, it's shocking! I'm an optimistic guy - when these were released I was hoping for better product to follow I was happy about TWoK, I liked Odo and Gowron, but after so many cancelations of what looked like great product and a string of disappointing items that seemed to only ever be Kirk and Spock, the faith has all but gone - I like the look of the new Enterprise - E and the Romulan from wave 5 but again it's all too little too late - If I were a buyer, DST would fill me with no confidence that their Star Trek items would sell. I just think as I thought with the state of the franchise after Enterprise that fresh blood is needed to revive the toy license - not because I hated what had come before (because I loved Enterprise and all of Star Trek, Nemesis etc... and I have loved and stuck by DST's product through the good and the bad and the downright ugly figure times) but because it's inevitable that you reach a point when you've done all you can, given all you've got and exhausted all the creative juices to keep something fresh and relevant - rather than having a good perspective on what needs to be done, your enveloped by something's past which reduces your ability to see other things and to experience something new, your totally living in the universe your creating and it doesn't allow you to step outside for a bit to gain some perspective on what is actually going on outside the box. The creative world has to constantly change, it has to constantly reinvent itself, In Star Trek's case, new blood was needed, in the toy licenses case, new blood is also needed to keep the ideas fresh, to keep the options open - if this franchise is going to endure for another 40 years, it needs to be constantly reinventing itself. If the toy license is going to survive the next movie, it needs to reinvent itself - DST has to go and someone else needs to step in.

#39 TheHSBR

TheHSBR

Mirror Universe Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 3,621 posts
  • Interests:This will be quite the list...Star Trek, Star Wars, wrestling, He-Man, comic books, GI Joe, video games, and most of all collecting action figures!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:45 AM

My biggest surprise came from the drop in quality of character likeness head scuplts. Riker and Worf were so well done, then we gradually saw a slide into a more cartoonish look that I think is best represented by the Data figure. Also DST pretty much discontinued its use of paintwash which also creates a cartoonish looking figure. I think thats where DST lost a lot of its followers. AA had always prided itself on superb quality scults that really nailed the likness and had a some kind of statuesque pose going on. When DST starting releasing the FC uniforms and to some extent the Data body, I think the posing became too static. Couple that with my aformentioned drop off in likeness sculpting and you have a number of the avid AA collectors jumping ship. I find it funny now that DST is finding its bread and butter for Trek inside highly detailed ship replicas that are one step below great models and highly detailed tech thats one step below what Rod and others are doing at far greater prices. As much as it pains me to say it, this line once DST took over should have focused on quality rather than quatity. If I held the DST license right now, I would continue focus on the Tech and ships but also introduce a new toyline geared more towrads the collectors market much like Marvel Select is doing. One figure per wave maybe 6 figures per year max.

#40 Guest_1701_*

Guest_1701_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (TheHSBR @ Jul 28 2010, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My biggest surprise came from the drop in quality of character likeness head scuplts. Riker and Worf were so well done, then we gradually saw a slide into a more cartoonish look that I think is best represented by the Data figure. Also DST pretty much discontinued its use of paintwash which also creates a cartoonish looking figure. I think thats where DST lost a lot of its followers. AA had always prided itself on superb quality scults that really nailed the likness and had a some kind of statuesque pose going on. When DST starting releasing the FC uniforms and to some extent the Data body, I think the posing became too static. Couple that with my aformentioned drop off in likeness sculpting and you have a number of the avid AA collectors jumping ship. I find it funny now that DST is finding its bread and butter for Trek inside highly detailed ship replicas that are one step below great models and highly detailed tech thats one step below what Rod and others are doing at far greater prices. As much as it pains me to say it, this line once DST took over should have focused on quality rather than quatity. If I held the DST license right now, I would continue focus on the Tech and ships but also introduce a new toyline geared more towrads the collectors market much like Marvel Select is doing. One figure per wave maybe 6 figures per year max.

totally unequivocally agree with this and your opinion on what you'd do if you were in charge - I'd get on board with that deal as long as there was a definite return to the quality of figure we got with Art Asylum and at the beginning of DST's license with TNG Worf & Riker and each of the 6 figures released a year were different characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users