• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

Rick & Pat know me by name.

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:36 PM

So I had a great speech typed out for in here but while trying to get my son to sleep from the couch to his bed....I lost it.
Long story short, look for me on Facebook. I think we should band together like ppl did for the TOS to stay on the air, but just this time make DST answer a F@(king question truthfully without the usual runaround and everyone saying 'ok thanks'.
Quarantine has me working still but some downtime has me going nuts and something has to give. Come on guys!

https://m.facebook.c...170392609671671

My name is Ryan Foy.

#2 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:15 AM

I like the passion, but I don't know that I believe DST is untruthful in answering questions... my take is they try not read into questions... so most times based on the way a question is asked, the response probably isn't want was expected... and then some questions they can't answer fully... for whatever reason. 

I think if you really want to get a feel for where things are at you'd need to have a full on interview with the likes of DST Chuck... and then you'd be able to phrase, and re-phrase questions. 

Over the years... DST has had several properties sell well but eventually come to an end due to sales... Marvel Select has really been their only long running flagship line... with minimates coming in at the vanguard which was acquired from Art Asylum. Outside these two lines, most everything seems touch and go. Which is why, and I think it's to their credit, they tried to relaunch Trek as Trek Select. 

But hey! Good luck!

#3 MisterPL

MisterPL

Yes the Troi figures hair worries me.

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 07:12 PM

It's only a three-hour drive to Timonium, MD. We could just stage a protest.

#4 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 09:59 PM

We should drive down....maybe I can get some replacement stands if the protest doesn't work out, lol.
I say they don't answer truthfully because it's the same stupid 3 VAGUE answers to every and any question. A vague answer isn't an answer. Maybe the covid thing made me snap, but I'm tired of waiting for nothing. Hell, my son will probably be hearing the same things as an adult, waiting for an Enterprise C or TNG phaser to put on my gravestone.

#5 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 April 2020 - 10:32 AM

The annual guaranty for the property must be next to nothing. Every year they keep the license while getting no product to retail costs them money.

Maybe they're squatting on it hoping that the franchise gets a shot in the arm and they'll be in a position to take advantage of it. They do keep things pretty close to the vest. Some more transparency would do wonders for consumer confidence.

#6 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:53 AM

That vest has more holes from all the moths over time than the moon with craters.

#7 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:54 AM

"Every year they keep the license while getting no product to retail costs them money."

​But they *do* keep certain product on the shelf! Just nothing new to us! They re-issue ships sometimes, and def keep the TOS Phaser, Com & Tric available. I'm betting they get a enough from that to make it worth keeping... but not enough to want to re-invest and tool up new product. 

RizzoPSU... your not wrong... I went through all that frustration myself... asked questions only to get answers to which made me think "that wasn't the question I asked"... tried a few more times and decided that DSTChuck reads into 'em what he wants and its not worth trying to get any kind of detailed answer because either he won't be able to understand the full context of what someone writes, or can't or doesn't want to answer such questions.

So... this is why back before companies like DST offered Replicas or ships... enthusiast  made their own... we may be back to that!

#8 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:59 PM

I understand offering key product. Ideally, anyone should be able to buy the Enterprise or bridge crew of their choice at any time. No one retires Batman from a line of DC figures just because "we did that already." (DST might.)

As someone who knows how these licensing agreements work, I have a tough time imagining that annual guaranty being SO low that what DST does offer in a calendar year covers that cost. 

Any truly NEW product must bring in so much revenue by comparison that DST throws a party to celebrate.

#9 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:14 AM

Who knows... only DST I guess... from our vantage.. and from what they say... apparently the license isn't profitable enough to get out new product with their model. 

#10 DSTZach

DSTZach

I can stop I just don't want to.

• VIP
  • 696 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:50 PM

We're not squatting on it. We look at what needs to be re-issued on a regular basis, and we've talked about bringing back the D, among others. And the C and the Reliant and the TNG phaser are all in development, work does continue. I don't know WHY they're taking so long, but they are. Do they occasionally take a back seat to more timely product? Sure. But as far as I know there are still details to be ironed out, including sound files, additional variant parts tooling, etc. 

And Mister PL will be happy to know we have TWO Batman products in the next Previews. He's not getting retired any time soon. 

#11 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:50 PM

Why don't you hire FT/PT/consult someone who does resin kits, molds stuff in their garage or has figured out the sound and lights for Star Trek props/models already?

I've loved and bought the stuff you guys have made (missing a few con exclusives) hell I've even bought multiple duplicates to make custom figures that number more than the figures you released. Hell I made fun of the last Enterprise-A and still bought two of them, but the way you guys give the same excuses....I may as well buy a premade resin phaser kit at $200 instead of like 6 of yours. Hell😂

#12 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:37 PM

And Mister PL will be happy to know we have TWO Batman products in the next Previews. He's not getting retired any time soon. 

He'd better not be. I know how much Chuck loves the Caped Crusader. I just wish he was as enthusiastic about other properties. (Not just Spider-Man.)

#13 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 12:10 AM

Zach, come up with a better reason for us Trek fans. You do seem to be squatting on it.

#14 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 07:21 AM

It's entirely possible that, thanks to the reunification of CBS and Viacom, the approval process has been impeded by reorganization. However, it was my understanding that CBS was handling all licensing for both entities. Either way, that and the pandemic's effects on overseas production would be viable excuses explanations.

DST isn't known for that level of transparency, unfortunately. They don't want to say anything that might upset a business partner and sour a relationship. After all, we're just end consumers. DST sells to retailers. When retailers start asking these kinds of questions, I'm sure they get proper answers and the schedule gets reprioritized as best it can.

As I've always said, moaning to the manufacturer is like preaching to the choir. They want to make and sell this stuff. If collectors really want to demonstrate the level of demand they believe exists for Star Trek, they need to take it to the retailers.

#15 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 09:01 AM

As I've always said, moaning to the manufacturer is like preaching to the choir. They want to make and sell this stuff. If collectors really want to demonstrate the level of demand they believe exists for Star Trek, they need to take it to the retailers.

Not that I know anything... but I *thought* the model (being overly simplistic)  was 1) prototype up a product, 2) offer it to retailers, 3) if there is enough retailer interest make it. additionally many online retailers choose to forward that solicitation to customers in the form or pre-orders to make sure they have gauged the demand... if the retailers don't get enough orders to satisfy the manufactures cost... its a bust. So in a market like Trek toys that is shrinking its tough to meet the price point... long way of saying my understanding agrees with you MisterPL... unless I'm completely wrong.

We look at what needs to be re-issued on a regular basis, and we've talked about bringing back the D, among others. And the C and the Reliant and the TNG phaser are all in development, work does continue. 

Firstly, thanks for posting Zach, good to see you back on the board. I guess you confirmed what I was saying about re-issues...

I don't know WHY they're taking so long, but they are.

Most direct and honest answer I've heard! Thanks!

Do they occasionally take a back seat to more timely product? Sure. But as far as I know there are still details to be ironed out, including sound files, additional variant parts tooling, etc. 

I think you just answered your own comment... Trek isn't a "timely" product line. 

The real rub from some us... actually to me its a joke now, is that TNG phaser is 5 years into development! At some point folks just say its never happening. 

#16 MisterPL

MisterPL

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

Not that I know anything... but I *thought* the model (being overly simplistic)  was 1) prototype up a product, 2) offer it to retailers, 3) if there is enough retailer interest make it. additionally many online retailers choose to forward that solicitation to customers in the form or pre-orders to make sure they have gauged the demand... if the retailers don't get enough orders to satisfy the manufactures cost... its a bust. So in a market like Trek toys that is shrinking its tough to meet the price point... long way of saying my understanding agrees with you MisterPL... unless I'm completely wrong.

Yes, Diamond is in a unique position where it can use Previews preorders as a gauge for interest in the specialty market. If collectors don't preorder, shame on them. It's not unlike Kickstarter in that regard.

That said, specialty market orders are generally a small fraction of what a big box retailer like Walmart, Target, Walgreens, or the defunct Toys R Us would order. Toy buyers for those retailers are taking a gamble based on perceived demand. They love movie and TV tie-ins because the marketing is free advertising and drives business. With a lack of a feature film and the newest Trek series behind a paywall, the perception is that there'd be little demand.

What collectors need to do is change that perception. For example, contact Walmart. I just did. I told them that, thanks to CBS All Access, my son has become a huge Star Trek fan but there's hardly anything out there in the way of toys/collectibles. I asked if there was a way for Walmart to order Star Trek toys from a manufacturer so I could find them in stores.

(Don't bother using Walmart.com's chat feature. They'll just refer you to help@walmart.com so that's my next route.)

If enough collectors start asking these bigger retailers for Trek product, they'll contact DST and McFarlane (assuming he still has the license) and have a conversation. Then it will be DST's ball to drop.

#17 Whirlygig

Whirlygig

Dances with Toys

• Members
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

I don't think we can move anyone like Walmart by contacting them.

The people who decide what they think will sell off the shelf just don't give a crap about Star Trek right now.  They take chances a lot on new stuff...sometimes that new stuff is even weird nostalgic stuff like 90's Nickelodeon stuff...and some keychains or whatever sell like wildfire.  Suddenly they realize that whoever had the idea to stock that was on to something and there might be an iceberg under that tip...soon after we have an entire section of Toys R Us dedicated to 90's Nickelodeon stuff of all shapes and sizes, and we have a nostalgia-fueled fad wash through the collecting world.

We waited 20-30 years to be able to buy new 90's Nickelodeon junk so there was a hunger.  Nobody has had to wait that long to buy Star Trek junk.  Something is always trickling out somewhere.  And I highly doubt any retailer has seen Star Trek flying off shelves in recent history like 90's Nickelodeon junk did for awhile there (maybe still is).

We can speculate all day on why that is.  But the why doesn't matter, it just is, so nobody setting up the Walmart toy section is going to be like "yeah, let's find some Star Trek stuff or someone willing to make it and put that on the shelves".  It would take thousands of people writing them asking them to, and some kind of coordinated way of directing all those questions to the people making those decisions, which I suspect most of it gets an automated response and right into the circular file or the wrong person.

It is what it is.  The crap I buy is whatever is available that speaks to my interests/nostalgia.  Never have I ever been able to somehow individually influence whether things I like keep coming or not.  It was great when Mega Construx was making Trek stuff, then suddenly they weren't, because nobody wanted it but me I guess.  Oh well, I got what I could while it lasted.  Etc...

#18 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:53 PM

I don't think we can move anyone like Walmart by contacting them.

Maybe... I think if Walmart didn't carry product at all, you need a digital grass roots campaign to get the product in a store... but they do carry product, what you need to do is get the stores in your area to carry it then.... but if we just want more product then all of Walmart carries... I'd think a national campaign might have some effect... its been done with other things!

#19 RizzoPSU

RizzoPSU

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:01 AM

Stop, stop, stop, trying to justify with an answer and just flat out complain! Bitch and argue what has been vent up for over 10 years. Stop being the backseat coach and just f@cking complain to DST to the point where DSTZach says; "work continues, or factory problems'.

#20 Gothneo

Gothneo

Knows Paul Bunyan

• Members
  • 5,753 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:38 AM

Didn't he basically just say that??

wait here... maybe this will make you feel better!

work continues,  factory problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users